Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-MärzenSpaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,108 | Hads: 2,389
3.81/5  rDev +7%

Pours a clear copper liquid with a nice white, airy head. Good head retention, and some lacing on the glass. Lots of bubble coming from the bottom of the glass. Smells like carmel, however also slightly earthy and skunky. Despite the smell, it seemed rather clean tasing with good sweet carmel malt flavor, with just a touch of hop bitterness to keep it from being one-sided. Medium body, but too much carbonation. Overall, I thought it was very drinkable and clean.

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Served extremely cold. Unlike my previous (bottled) experiences, this isn't too bad. Light, crystal clear honey color. No real aromas to speak of. Middling cracker-ish malt flavors and only a moderate hop flavor make this little more than -- as was the case with the bottled version -- glorified lager beer. It's not skunked, which is an improvement, I guess.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Strange aftertaste, but not a bad tasting beer. Aroma of Heineken (yes thats bad!), or other skunky things. Otherwise not a bad beer. A bit malty, a bit of hops...nothing worth writing home about. I have had it a few times, but it seems to get worse each time I try it.

Edit: This years seems much improved or possibly just fresher. No skunkiness and much cleaner flavor. While last year it was one of the worts O-fests I had it's one of the best so far this year...of course I've just started in on them.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

This nice beer pours a copper/orange colour into the glass. With a pretty high head, that disappears quickly. The smell is malty and bready with some hints of hops in the background. The taste is also malty and also a bit fruity. Some taste from the hops to that give the beer a nice bitterness. I like this beer and would like to try it at the Oktoberfest in Munich this year.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a deep amber to copper color with a light beige head. Some biscuity and Vienna-like bready aromas and a subtle fruitiness from the yeast. Slight dosage of hops in there to round it all out, too. Malty smooth with a bit of caramel-like toasty sweetness and a crisp finish with some low alpha hops that is slightly drying to the palate. Not a bad brew; easy to drink, but lacks a bit of depth and complexity. I guess this beer is just meant to be drank in excess by the half liter, in lederhosen, of course :^)

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Burnt brown color, pours with minimal head. Cross between burnt toast and caramel in the aroma. Avery full and awesome scent. Thee same characteristics in the aroma come through in the taste. There is also just enough hop present to balance out the flavor, Beer rest slightly tart like on the palate, but finishes very smoothly. Overall, and excellent oktoberfest.

4.07/5  rDev +14.3%

(500 ml bottle, bought in Denmark). This rating is for the pale version sold in Europe. Pale golden colour, like a pils. Good to moderate head. Pleasant fruity aroma. Flavour is smooth, mellow and clean, hops are subdued. Easy drinking. Nice beer, but hardly worth a fest in itself.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Dark orange with minimal foam; no lacing

Smell: Light aroma of toffee (if you are lucky to get a bottle that isn't skunked)

Taste: Starts with malty toffee sweetness followed by a modest balancing hop profile, again if you don't get a skunked bottle - most times I've had this it falls apart into a skunky finish

Mouthfeel: Quite fizzy; needs to settle in the glass for a few minutes to calm down

Drinkability: Very enjoyable but I would prefer the maltiness to be a bit more pronounced

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Bought this to compare to the Paulaner Oktoberfest I had earlier this week.

Appearance- Nice dark amber, almost a maple color. Medium head, rather thick.

Smell- Toasted hops, a little caramel. Good, but not amazing.

Taste- Smooth toasted malt flavor, I'm thinking some caramel. Smooth, goes down really easy. Minimal hops presence. Very good!

Drinkability- Really good, I like it a lot. Maybe a little too heavy for a big session.

Notes- I couldn't find to much of a difference between this and the Paulaner Oktoberfest I had earlier this week. Both were enjoyable, and easy-to-drink. Paulaner might have been slightly more complex.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured this from the bottle into my air-dried beer mug. Head was fluffy but dissipated rather quickly. Copper color to it. Citrus aromas. Goes down very smooth. Texture is thin and light. Tastings of wheat and barley. Well worth the money for the sampling.

Pours a clear orange amber with a full white head. Exceptional lace.

Nice malty aroma that is sweet and carmely.

Taste is nice with a sweet fruity presence that is joined by subdued malts.

Mouthfeel is thin but is countered by strong carbonation. The finish is a touch bitter and sweet.

This is a nice beer that is very tasty.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

I honestly cannot understand why this beer didn't get better reviews. I had this beer on-tap which may be a reason why and having it with a hearty German meal consisting of wild boar may also have had an impact. Honestly though, I found this beer to be extremely good. It was not really the style that I expected it to be, however. It pours an amber-brownish color. The taste and smell give you an idea of what the beer is like. Caramel and malt are very evident in this beer. It is not as thick as one would expect and goes down very smooth. This beer was extremely drinkable and I could see myself indulging in many of them the next time I see it available.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

The light brown beer gave rise to a slightly malty aroma. There is some toasty aromas. The body was smooth and creamy and there was a lingering after taste reminiscent of wintergreen or root beer. This has the perfect maltiness that is not too sweet and just the right amount of bitterness with no hop flavors.

2.09/5  rDev -41.3%

Picked up a six pack of these after a recomendation from a fellow BA and I have to say I was quite dissapointed. I love seasonal beers but Spaten Oktoberfest wasn't my cup of tea. Comes in a 12 oz green bottle and pours an amber color with little head which looks almost soapy. Smell has hints of caramel and malts but with skunky smells mixed in. The taste is about the same, very flat with no pizazz to speak of. Tasted to me like sucking pennies with malt flavor. Couldn't let this beer sit in my mouth for long. I couldn't drink many either, quite filling. There are good Oktoberfest and other seasonal type beers out there, this is not one of them.

1.87/5  rDev -47.5%

Acquired via trade. Pours a clear amber color with minimal carbonation and a medium thin off-white head. Thin and quick lacing. The aroma is malty and skunked (green bottle issue?). Medium-bodied with a yin and yang of sweetness and skunkiness throughout, this ended up being a drain pour. The malt and caramel flavors simply could not compete with the unpleasant skunkiness. The finish kept with the theme. I will have to try to seek a fresher bottle out for a re-taste.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a well-carbonated clear copper color.

Smells of malt and grain with a bit of caramel and tea thrown in.

Has a strong malty flavor. There are banana, raisin and caramel flavors to this too. Tastes like a very mild bock beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable, this beer keeps you guessing about what you taste with each sip.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A coppery brown brew that pours a nice head that leaves a nice lacing down my pint. A sweet smelling malt with a similar taste that finishes with a slight bitter hop. Has a decent body resulting with a fairly full mouthfeel. A fairly smooth marzen that I wouldn't be shy to try again.

Re-Review 12-3-04:
Poured a very nice head again. Noticing more of an old or musty smell to it this time around. Still a very smooth but mellow taste and has a decent mouthfeel. Nothing special but still an enjoyable beer to try.

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

Clear, dark copper colored beer. Big bubbled off-white head leaves behind nicely defined head. The aroma is sweet and malty, even a little corn though I know they don't use any. Not much in the flavor department, nothing bad, maybe what a German macro would taste like. Pretty strong carbonation makes the beer feel light on the tongue. What little flavor there is lies in the aftertaste. Best I can do is a smidgen of malt and a hint of bitterness. Not a bad beer, just not a hell of a lot to it.

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amber O-Fest that's a little too malty for my tastes. Big caramel (Munich) malt flavors with not enough dryness. Seems to taste a bit stronger than most Marzen/Fest beers that I've had, perhaps this is because I haven't had dinner. Very smooth mouthfeel. Medium to full bodied. I think I like the Spaten Optimator (double bock) a bit better. That beer is maltier, of course, but also somehow drier.

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Clear light amber in color with small white head. Light malt smell not much else. Good carbonation slight malt taste with a touch of hop, slight hop bite not much else to speak of. Rather bland actually. Light bodied brew with not much going for it.Probably let my wife or guest have the other 5 not something I will buy again. Thought I would try because someothers thought it a good repersentation of octoberfest. Wish I had some more Sam Adams know some of you think I'm crazy but I like it.

4.27/5  rDev +19.9%

The beer pours an amber color with a nice white lace head. The aroma is exceptional. It has the smell of a good lager, but with the slightest amount of crystal malts to add color and a bit of sweetness. The taste is great. It isn't too plain or too bold. There is a fine balance here. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a low/medium bodied beer with the right amount of carbonation. This is a great drinking beer; one of the best Octoberfests I've ever had.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Aroma: Toasty malt. Actually smells a bit like toast. Malt is very evident and a bit perfumed.
Appearance: Clear golden brown, almost orange with a good finger and a half of white head that filmed fairly quickly. Plucky little head left some good tiny bubble lace.
Flavor: Taste is a touch upside down. First is a brief hop bitterness that is quickly washed away in the toasted malt. Deep malt flavor is held in check, but I had to hunt for any real hop taste and certainly no strong bitterness. There is a tea-like aftertaste that I found enjoyable, but seems a bit off style. All in all, it’s rather mild.
Mouthfeel: Medium body that coats the mouth and lingers.
Overall Impression: Have to admit, this was, and is one of my favorite beers, although through BA I’ve outgrown it to some degree. It has a very clean lager taste that really lets the malt show through. Maybe if I keep at brewing for 600 years like these folks, maybe my Oktoberfest will approach this brew. This might be a good macro-wean beer (“Sorry, I’m out of Bud, try this!”)

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Color is a nice light copper amber with a one finger high off-white head thats evenly foamed and smooth, fades down to a thick haze and lace in muddy globs. Aroma has a nice touch of lightly toasty malts, grainy and fresh and breadish sweet. Taste has a nice mellow toasted maltyness thats lightly sweet and bready, pretty easy and calm flavors, nothing overwhelming, notes of light nuttyness comes through in the finish with a favorable light drying. Sure its a bit plain, but nice enough to keep it interesting. Feel is medium bodied, pretty smooth the whole way through, easy little bitterness and a light drying finish. I can see drinking alot of these, as it warmed it was very nice indeed, a bit on the plain side, but something about the subtleness kept me going til the glass was empty. A good drinkin' O-fest.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured a nice deep amber, thin white head that dissapated quickly, very little lacing. Malty, heavy scent. Maybe too much carbonation ... maybe. I wanted it to be a little smoother. Easy, if not too easy, to drink, but I felt very little of the alcohol.

I'd choose this offering over Spaten's premium lager. Good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is a great beer when not being compared so much to other brews. I had it on tap, which also may be slightly better experience. Nice red hue with cream colored head. Nothing too overpowering in this one - malt is predominant with very little hops. Great malt flavors with little residuals. No trace of bitterness. A very smooth, easy drinking beer. Perfect carbonation. Sure, a GLBC Eliot Ness it is not, but still I dunno what it is about it.... I like it, and that's all that matters. I could drink this all night, and sometimes do when at my favorite pub.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu