Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-MärzenSpaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 2,250
2.52/5  rDev -28.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Clear brown. Looks like a marzen should.

Smell: Smells a little skunky. Can't smell much else.

Taste: Strong skunky flavor. Took a while to get beyond the skunky flavor. Eventually got some bitter hops and caramel flavor. Very delicious once I got past the skunk flavor. I think Spaten might want to consider using brown bottles. Apparently Spaten turns a little bad in the time it takes to get it to America. (466 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -28.6%

Brown half litre bottle, best before Oct 2010, so a 2009 brew!

Very pale for a Marzen, very pale indeed, looks like a normal lager/helles/pilsner, golden with a pure white head. This is my second O'Fest beer of the little O'Fest I'm having tonight.

Almost odourless, gets my standard score of 3 for a non-smelling lager/pilsner.

Tastes like a pilsner which has had sugar added to make it stronger in its ABV. No great flavours or points to pontificate about, un-impressed.

I've been to Munich many times, including 8 O'Fests, this bottled beer bears no resemblance to the draught Marzens I've had from Spaten over the years. Reminded me of sugared water. (658 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -28.6%

Consumed during mammoth Oktoberfest beer tasting.

A - orangey yellow, solid white head. It looked like a cliche beer picture.
S - Definitely skunked, the green bottle being the likely culprit. The bottle was purchased at Nikki's Liquors in Providence, RI, and i assume that they have above average bottle handling...
T - Skunky! And a much too similar to helles end of the spectrum than the punchy hops and deep malt of the typical Oktoberfest. Definitely a beer constructed for high volume intake.
M - I believe it was a bit creamier that anticipated, but it still had a carbonation tingle that i expect of a lighter bodied version of the Marzen style.
D - Without the skunking, the presentation alone says 'drink me! i am festbier!' But as it was skunked and out of place on a Rhode Island kitchen table surrounded by superior competition, it does not find success in this area. (881 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -28.6%

Very clear tan with a subtle amber hue, topped with a one-finger dense just off-white head that subsides to a thin layer, leaving rings of lacing behind. Nose is crisp and sweet malt, but very shy. Body is more impressive with a gentle carbonation through a medium-thin body that makes you want to chew it.

Taste is bland, to be honest. Sweet caramel back bone dominates the palate, with breadiness somehow coming through, slightly nutty, and hops are nowhere to be seen, until the finish. Crisp with the pils, but still comes out tasting like a macro. It's drinkable insofar as it is inoffensive.

I don't know if this is supposed to be very traditional, but compared to contemporary offerings, doesn't quite stand up. I was also fortunate to not have a skunked bottle, but I'd prefer they fix that issue. (808 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance: 2" off white head recedes quickly leaving moderate lacing. Amber/light brown color with mild carbonation bubbles streaming
Aroma: hop spice in the aroma and some bread but overall a mild aroma with a slight skunk Mouthfeel: between light and medium bodied, watery, slightly chewy, with a mostly dry finish Flavor: some caramel flavor but the hops dominate through the taste
Overall: good but not great. I am a little disappointed as I normally love the Marzen style and I hoped that this authentic brew from Munich would be the best I ever had. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Caveats: this was a green bottle with no bottling date. I would love to be able to try this beer fresh in Germany and then render another review. I just felt the beer lacked what I normally enjoy in this style (a malty, caramel dominance), instead the hops seemed to dominate. (873 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -30%

Presentation: 12oz bottle (production code of L 18471 C) in a thumbprint Seidel

BAside: it seems odd to have a German Oktoberfest with the words "MALT LIQUOR" on the label...

Poured crisp, clean, true. Ugh....not a very pleasing nose. To be honest this smells like a typical canned macro. Dry, astringent, slightly metallic, a little sour, maybe some mildly burnt caramel. Head was a nice pencil's worth of loose & mixed, pale ivory foam that steadily settled to a see-through sheen with a bubbled edge ring. The slightly hazed body is classic Marzen - penny copper orange, warm like good honey. Damn shame it doesn't have an appealing aroma.

It tastes better than it smells, but it still has some mild, canned macro quality. Slightly burnt caramelized malts slide under a semi-dry, crisp astringency that is a ween bit spoiled/sour, with some noticeable metallic & phenolic aspects. Hops are timid & mildly bitter. I'm not really sure what is exactly going on here. I've enjoyed some nice Marzens, but this has an odd aspect to it, a can lining quality that I just can't shake.

Growing drier & lighter on the palate, it finishes crisp but a little phenolic with a nice, sharpening spiciness, leaving a clean yet cloying aftertaste.

I had Mrs. BuckSpin confirm the nose. Her words - "Natural Ice in a can", so I know its not me. It is very possible I got a bad bottle, but in that I have nothing to compare it to I am going with what I experienced. Let me put it this way - if this was a Macro Lager it would be a pretty decent one, but as a Marzen this was not enjoyable. I will definitely try this again next year to see if I did catch a bad one, but until then I cannot recommend this. This was one of the most disappointing & generic tasting imports I've ever had. Very bummed. Omm-pah-pah at your own risk. (1,816 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a light amber/copper with average head that disappears completely.

Smell is sweet malt, european macro? Nothing as strong as Heineken, but a little sour.

Taste has too much of a sweet malt flavor, bordering on those 40 ounce malts. It also has a creamy flavor with hints of decent caramel.

It's a little flat.

I feel like I could score the same with a cheaper, american failure, than going for an import of this stature. I will probably never try this again. Maybe I had this a served too warm. It was the last of a quick 6-pack outside the fridge. However, that is usually a sign of poor beer that needs to be served iced cold. (646 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from a green bottle with no packaging date.

A: A very pretty beer. It is a light copper color and crystal clear. The head is very minimal to non-existent and leaves on lacing on the glass.
S: Sulfur with no hop aroma. Typical lager nose.
T: One word: Skunked! When will I ever learn not to buy green bottle beers. I keep hoping to find a decent one but no luck again. I don't think I will finish this one!! Just have enough to finish this review. Why do imports even come in green bottles?
M: Actually very good if I can get by the skunk taste. Medium body with just enough carbonation to give a creamy feeling in the back of the throat.
D: Were it not for the skunking I could probably have several of these but if they are all like this one, no thanks. (762 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -34.3%

We were excited about the legitimacy of a real Marzen from a real Germany. The look was promising, typical Oktoberfest, light amber and clear. Not much head or carbonation. The residual did not cling to the glass like an ex-girlfriend (BA-ZING!). The basic smell-malty. A woodshop memory also sprang into our minds. However, the inability of the smell to resonate brought the first disappointment of this beer. Upon first taste, I was convinced that there might have been a Munich, Ohio. This Oktoberfest is a very malty beer, and only if you let the flavors linger will you taste a hoppiness. The beer itself was not very carbonated, and did not sit on the palate at all (much like how the smell didn't resonate). Justin was very disappointed due to his travels and beerperiences in Germany. Despite the shortcomings, this beer would not disappoint an experienced Oktoberfest-er. Though it is not a special beer, it is a solid, basic beer, that is not at all bad tasting. It has a light body, and a pleasant smell, albeit fleeting. Taking that into consideration, we rate this beer drinkable. We expected more from a Munich Oktooberfest, as this beer was more of a late August/early September-fest. Much too basic, but a good general idea. A little more editing and this beer could be something amazing. Better luck next time. (1,327 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -34.6%

Color is right on - a nice orange yellow. Smell is very strong - has that wheaty, skunky smell.

Very thin taste. Mostly tastes like water with hints of wheat and grains.

This beer was not impressive. In general, I prefer to have a beer with a body that is not so thin. In this case, it went from refreshing to annoying - like rotten water. (346 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

A- Copper, 1/2cm head, vigorous bubbling.

S- Metallic, faint malt, not much else.

T/M- Light body, thin, what I would equate to marzen style OE malt liquor.

D- There's a reason it says malt liquor on the bottle, it was. Rather have a Hofbrau. I was surprised, considering Optimator and their Dunkel are quite tasty. Avoid. (325 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -35.1%

Although meant to be enjoyed from a mug, I poured this into a New Belgium snifter for nosing and tasting. The pour is very nice-looking. It is a clear, orange-amber color with two fingers of sudsy head. Unfortunately, selling this beer in green glass bottles hasn't done much for the nose. I definitely pick up some skunky tones amidst the malt and spices.

The beer has no body at all and the mouthfeel is paper-thin for this style. I don't get much malt at all. I get a watery, lemony drink that tastes like beer and iced tea. There is none of the chewyness or breadiness that one finds in a good Oktoberfest. It doesn't taste bad, but it's as bland as bland can be. It's as if Budweiser tried to make an Oktoberfest and this is the result.

I don't know what this brewer is trying to pull by calling this an Oktoberfest, but I sure as hell won't be fooled again. I never thought I'd say this, but I've tasted American Oktoberfests (like Great Lakes' offering) that demolish this German Oktoberfest. This is a travesty of a beer and is not worthy of a German label. The brewers who made this should be ashamed of themselves. Avoid. (1,133 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

Interesting spread of opinions on this beer.

Clear copper body, very appealing smooth off-white head, almost bone in color (seemed an unusual shade to me). Excellent lacing.

Solid aroma, sweet but not overpowering. Thought I detected some vanilla in there.

Chewy in the mouth. Thick with a touch of brass at the edge. Slight hops burn after you swallow. Sweetness everywhere, but not too much.

This is an enjoyable Oktoberfest that I will purchase again. I am fond of Spaten's beers, and this one is no exception.

EDITED 24 Sept. 2005
Have I changed or has this beer changed? There is a skunkiness to this beer's aroma that I don't remember, and a grainy sourness to its taste. Bought a single this morning, it's not even October yet, so I'm sure that this is fresh. Not a good sign for Spaten. (810 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -37.4%

Spaten- Oktoberfest

Appearance- light reddish brown with a quickly dissolving head, no lacing.
Smell- Strong sugary candy, caramel, and grain (wheat/ barley)
Taste- Sweet sugar with a light earthy hop flavor.
Mouthfeel- sweet, cloying even. Finishes off very bland.

Overall- big disappointment. Was expecting more. This is 1 of the weakest Oktoberfests I've ever had. (376 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -37.4%

A= The pour is a nice medium amber color with a nice looking almost light grey looking head on it that holds nice retention and lacing. The head is actually pretty impressive with the retention and the tiny bubbles do a great job with lacing.

S= First thing I notice is skunk. From the second the bottle opened I got skunk. Under the skunk is a little more of a toffee character but it's mostly covered by skunk.

T= Skunk again. What the hell. I'm actually a little pissed. Why would they put it in a green bottle first of all and why would the liquor store let this happen. Beyond the skunk is a little extra toffee and the toffee is actually quite nice but the skunk is the dominate flavor.

M= Great. Nice carbonation and medium body.

D= Beyond the skunk I would imagine it was a very nice beer but unfortunatlly all I got was a lot of skunk. (848 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

The color is dark yellow, head is light and foamy, lacing is moderate. The smell is skunky, banana peel, rock and rye, prunes, stale beer cups. The taste is not good, actually pretty bad. Just straight macro flavors but a bit thicker, similar to a cheap malt liquor: skunk, grass, old lemon rinds, newspaper ink. Tastes like it was run through twenty feet of aluminum gutters and drained out over the driveway. How did this beer go so wrong? Spaten? I thought that was a decent beer. Not in this case. The mouthfeel is gunky and chewy and the carbonation is just an afterthought. Drinkability is close to a zero. Can't see why you'd want another, unless you're stuck with a six pack like me. Bad beer overall. Cheap Octoberfests like Berghoff are better than this. Horrible. (774 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -38%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Special beer for special ocassion; i try this in this october and i`m not impresssed, dark brown color, hops, malt, high plato; good quality for its brewery, a tipic example of german beer, try in a pilsner glass, good palate taste, and mouthfeel; strong, average ABV; 58% recommended. (285 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -38%

First Oktoberfest of the season, here goes.

A: Pours a slight hazy orange color with a little white head on top. Pretty standard look for a marzen.

S: Has that musky, skunky euro lager smell. Can't seem to smell any malt. Not a good start.

T: Starts off sweet malts then musky hops come flying in that back to a sweet finish, with that musky wet taste coating my mouth. I'm kinda reaching here but there might be a bit of cocoa sweetness in there. Hating that euro lager taste right now.

M: Medium to light, seems kinda thin for the style, but its my first marzen this year, so i'll kinda give it a pass.

D: Drinkability would be much high if it wasn't for hoppy cloying coating the back of my mouth.

For an oktoberfest I was expecting more malt and less macro euro mess this is. (785 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -38.2%

This was on fire sale at the local tap room so I figured I would give it a try.

Copper color beer served with no head and slight white lacing. Aroma was very mild hops. Thin body, boring flavor, just a meek toasted malt taste. Somewhat acidic aftertaste, a pint was more then enough. (286 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -38.8%

Poured into pils glass.

Pours a bit of white head. Color is a clear copper brown. Some active carbonation in the class.

Aroma: Skunk and then some. Some caramel and roasted malts. Grassy noble hops.

Taste: More skunk. It is pretty much identical to the aroma. Dry and roasted malts with a caramel sweetness. Earthy noble hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and crisp. A higher amount of carbonation with a medium bodied. Ends dry with skunk flavors.

Overall, it is just a shame that this beer has a lot of skunk flavors to it. I am not digging it too much because of that, but if that flavor wasn't there I could probably drink more of it. Not to drinkable for me. (657 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -39.4%

A - Golden brown hue, clear. Head was a bit fizzy and dissipated quickly. Not much lacing.

S - Malty, metallic, quite pungent.

T - Tasted a bit skunky to me. Very hoppy, a bit strong for me.

M - Carbonation good. The malts were overpowered by the hops.

D - I barely finished the one. (290 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -39.9%

clear copper/amber with light carbonation and a thin but stable head.

hoppy floral aroma thats put off by a plasticy band aid funk. whew, thats funky.

i can tell theres some nice full malt in there some where, but its hidden pretty well by a plasticy taste and a thin body. even the hoppiness seems off a bit.

i hope this is just a bad example of what spaten puts out, cause im sure they do some good work. however it will probably be a while before i try this again. (477 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -40.8%

Picked up a six pack of these after a recomendation from a fellow BA and I have to say I was quite dissapointed. I love seasonal beers but Spaten Oktoberfest wasn't my cup of tea. Comes in a 12 oz green bottle and pours an amber color with little head which looks almost soapy. Smell has hints of caramel and malts but with skunky smells mixed in. The taste is about the same, very flat with no pizazz to speak of. Tasted to me like sucking pennies with malt flavor. Couldn't let this beer sit in my mouth for long. I couldn't drink many either, quite filling. There are good Oktoberfest and other seasonal type beers out there, this is not one of them. (653 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -41.4%

A: Lightredish tan in color with a thin film of head that dies quickly and nearly no lacing

S: i rate all beers a 3 on smell due to my lack of smell

T: like a butter scotch candy .

M: thick and heavy in general.

O: average for its style, just seems to be missing something

Serving type: bottle (298 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -43.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Had this on tap in Illinois after a 6 hour car ride and thought it was incredible, so I picked up a sixer to give it a proper review. In retrospect, it might have tasted so good simply because I was in a car for 6 hours going through corn country.

A: Pours a dark copper color. Half a finger head that disappears rapidly. Bottle and packaging very 'German'; fit the brew style perfectly.

S: Malts all the way. If there's other notes to be detected, the malts cover them up to this reviewer's nose.

T: Malts. Taste doesn't really evolve in your mouth at all. What you smell and taste initially is what you get.

M: Minimal carbonation at the beginning of the sip. Beyond that, pretty smooth and water-like. 'Cardboard' aftertaste that makes the chin pucker.

O: Easy drinking Autumn beer for when the football is on and the weather gets colder. Not something I'd shun, but not something that would be my first (or second or third) choice if I am buying. Jokes aside, this is one of those beers that gets significantly better as you go along (no, I don't think that's true for every beer). (1,128 characters)

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu