Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
ESH

Nebraska

07-14-2012 22:39:56 | More by ssjkyle
EddieTheTrooper

4.7/5  rDev +30.9%

My favorite oktoberfest beer, Spaten is the reason I look forward to the fall. Its deep ruddy brown color is pleasing to the eyes, more so when looking at it down the barrel of a huge 32 oz mug. The smell speaks of the experience behind Spaten's brewing, these guys know how to make a friggin' beer. The first sip betrays hints of sassafras and mint that stay with you to the bottom of the glass. It is a little creamier than other oktoberfestbiers, but I like that, it serves to make a rich and foamy head. If you find it on tap, call a friend to drive you home because you're going to want to drink as much of it as your can. Remember in the movie Beerfest when the guys find that secret beer recipe hidden in the doll and they're all talking about how they want to ice skate on it or are simply moved to tears by how delicious it is? I like to imagine that beer tastes like Spaten Oktoberfest.

10-17-2009 17:29:04 | More by EddieTheTrooper
BeerLover48Fan

4.65/5  rDev +29.5%

Pours a solid copper with a thick white head that immediately dissipates to nothing. Visibly well carbonated.

Aroma is feint of caramel, must, and just a touch of German hops. I don’t find any toast.

Taste is not a let down for me.there arent bad things happening here. It’s just that there isn’t much at all going on here. Grainy with a floral finish but almost entirely lacking in toast and not sweet enough.

Mouthfeel: Light and aggressively carbonated. Clean and crisp.

Drinkability: Very high. Goes down like a light beer.

09-21-2007 01:40:13 | More by BeerLover48Fan
happy4hoppybeer

4.63/5  rDev +29%

A= dark orange-amber with thick head that fizzles fairly slowly, and lacing sticking to my 16-oz boot glass for a good long while.

S= Sweet caramel-ish malts, some tea-ish hops, maybe some nuts.

T= Malts, and malts. Some good faint hops in the background, but not hoppy.

M=Medium-bodied, with good carbonation, not too much, just the right amount.

D= Excellent. Can drink these all night.

A solid brew, in a great season. The most wonderful time of the year:Oktoberfest. From the nation that made beer what it should be, at least before the great American microbrew revolution came along. I love it. Spaten is always exceptional in my book.

09-09-2010 01:43:30 | More by happy4hoppybeer
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.6/5  rDev +28.1%

12 oz. with a " L15521M " bottling code. Pours a clear amber color with an off white head. Spicy gingerbread, yeasty smell. Medium bodied with a rich, creamy mouthfeel. Has a malty, bready sweet taste with a subtle Euro-hop essence to finish. Classic German.

A well crafted brew, world class

10-31-2004 18:17:09 | More by beerceller99
ledemie

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

let me start first with this, the beer is great I always like Spaten products, the beer as a pleasant smell, it drinks very well, the after taste reminds me of EKU 28, the mouth feel is like mild sweet with a chery after taste ( like EKU 28), it is a good beer, I could not fingd it at the store I bought it from, but did find it at an other :-) ....

11-08-2007 19:26:43 | More by ledemie
jrb1001

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

When I first started drinking different types of beers, this was my first and I liked it so much that I bought a case of it.. It was definately worth it. The beer has the normal german taste to it which can be found in any german beer. I like the beer and I think anyone else who tries it will like it.

02-24-2006 23:59:34 | More by jrb1001
abriggs1

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%

This stuff goes down my throat like silk. It's flavorful but very drinkable. Tastes like a festival in a bottle. What a beautiful, creamy, malty finish this beer has. It's got a good kick and lingers on the tongue more with each passing sip. I consider this one of the best Oktoberfests.

10-21-2008 00:16:29 | More by abriggs1
pmcadamis

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%

I went out to one of the local wing joints after work with some friends, and I was pleasantly surprised to see this on tap among the forest of BMC tap handles. The waitress asked if I wanted the pint glass or the big glass....I just looked at her and said..."what do you think?" Hooray for 1liter heavy glass mugs! I felt like I was in Munich...if they served chicken wings in the O-fest tents instead of sausage.

A - Deep orange and very clear with a 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly to a collar, Thin wet lacing sticks to the glass. The 1/2 finger head comes right back from the dead after a good swirl.

S - Rich and clean malty scent, very "to style." Clean and clear malts that remind me of a good german pils, but with a little more depth. I want to say that it smells a bit like carrot cake.

T - My thoughts at first sip: WOW!!! This is friggin' good! Deep and rich with clean malts but at the same time very quenching with a nice hop dryness at the finish. Sweet caramel and spice notes too. This tastes excellent! Just about my favorite O-fest ever.

M - Mouthfeel is light, but creamy with low carbonation levels. Could be thicker, but not bad at all. Clean and crisp. Cleaner than the bottled version.

D - This festy is very drinkable and pleasant if a little bit lacking in complexity. But, fest beers are all about celebration and just enjoying the fall weather, and for the season I couldn't ask for more. This is my favorite oktoberfest brew so far! Great stuff...especially when quaffed in large quantities from a heavy 1 liter mug!

11-12-2007 23:05:19 | More by pmcadamis
SigEp

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the last reviewer. While unimpressed with recent Spaten Ok/Ur vintages, this one is seriously worth another try. Very, very drinkable. Round, malty, with just enough hop at the end to make you want more. I don't know what it is but this year's batch tastes DARN close to fresh Munchen amber heaven. I recommend you re-try this one.

08-05-2010 03:57:33 | More by SigEp