Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-MärzenSpaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 2,249
4.16/5  rDev +17.8%

We had a housewarming/keg party a few weekends ago.

Poured from a keg into a red solo cup.

The head was nice and fluffly, lasting longer than the pint I poured from a bottle a week prior. The smell was light, but very sweet and malty.

Mouthfeel was good; I've had better.

The taste was amazing. FAR better than 07's Oktoberfest, and not just Spaten's, ALL 07 Oktoberfest (was it a bad year?). Sweet, malty, and very yummy! Very easy to drink!

I don't remember how many I had. We had maybe 50 people and killed the keg in seven hours.

I highly suggest this one. (568 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured this one into a Sam Adams glass.

I like a good Octoberfest beer. No nonsense, just heavy enough on the hops but still balanced, makes you want to drink more than one. This one fits the bill nicely. Not much of a head, decent lacing. Light amber in color. Hops with just a bit of citrus on the nose. Not real complicated. Hops on the palate with an ever so slightly astringent finish. Almost too easy to drink. I could easily knock back too many of these in one sitting. Makes me quite affectionate for this time of year. (538 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%

A: poured a dark brown color with little head
S: Smelled kind of skunky
T: Had a skunky taste overall and bitterness afterward; could taste a little of the roasted malts
M: Lots of carbonation
D: Drinkable, but definitely not as easy to drink as other Oktoberfest beers. (271 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours a great copper color.

Not the biggest aroma going, but what was there had some light malt going on.

Flavor wise, the malt is more pronounced up front than I would have expected from the aroma, but it finishes with more of a hoppy bitter flavor. Not the kick-you-in-the-teeth Octoberfest I've found more and more common from some of the American breweries, and more smooth drinking and easily approachable than some of its comparable imported brethren.

For a little context, even though its available year round, I wait till the first weekend of fall every year and go to town on this beer. Definately one of my favorites, on tap or in the bottle, in terms of easy-drinking crowd-pleasing Octoberfest. (709 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +3.7%

Picked this beer up during Oktoberfest 08. Pours a lovely dark amber-caramel colour. Very little head after the initial pour, very thin lacing thereafter. Quite a powerful hoppy almost bread-like smell that is fairly pleasant. Taste ranks highly alongside the look of this beer. A nice full beer flavour with some notes of yeast. Mouthfeel is thin but crisp on the tongue due to a strong carbonation. Excellent drinkability but should be consumed at an easy-going pace as it seemed to blow the head off me very quickly. Definitely a beer for fans of a good, strong tasting beer. (578 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -34.3%

We were excited about the legitimacy of a real Marzen from a real Germany. The look was promising, typical Oktoberfest, light amber and clear. Not much head or carbonation. The residual did not cling to the glass like an ex-girlfriend (BA-ZING!). The basic smell-malty. A woodshop memory also sprang into our minds. However, the inability of the smell to resonate brought the first disappointment of this beer. Upon first taste, I was convinced that there might have been a Munich, Ohio. This Oktoberfest is a very malty beer, and only if you let the flavors linger will you taste a hoppiness. The beer itself was not very carbonated, and did not sit on the palate at all (much like how the smell didn't resonate). Justin was very disappointed due to his travels and beerperiences in Germany. Despite the shortcomings, this beer would not disappoint an experienced Oktoberfest-er. Though it is not a special beer, it is a solid, basic beer, that is not at all bad tasting. It has a light body, and a pleasant smell, albeit fleeting. Taking that into consideration, we rate this beer drinkable. We expected more from a Munich Oktooberfest, as this beer was more of a late August/early September-fest. Much too basic, but a good general idea. A little more editing and this beer could be something amazing. Better luck next time. (1,327 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Aroma: slightly oxidized, musty, cardboard aromas, after it warms more complex vienna/munich malts come forth, little to no hops or esters, no diacetyl

Appearance: bronze / amber color, thin white head that dissipates quickly

Flavor: rich complex malt flavor balances the vienna and munich mallt nicely, finish is slightly sweet, little to no hop in the flavor which is appropriate to style, don't really pick up the clean, crisp lager characteristics, which could be due to the oxidization.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium/light bodied, medium carbonation

Overall: Oxidized, with cardboard aromas when first opened, but complex malt aromas in flavor and aroma as the beer warms. The finish is sweet but would have appreciated more munich mallt. (744 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a deep clear amber with a long lasting off white head. Smells like a skunks butt (green bottle). Oily mouth feel. Nice hop flavor and well balanced. Once the skunky aroma fades this is a decent beer. (209 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

A very pretty beer. Copper body with an off-white head that quickly dissipated. Nice lacing on the glass, though.
Bit of a toasted and floral aroma.
I can barely taste the toasted malts or the hop characteristics.
A bit thin and watery.
I'm not impressed, I used to like this beer. Might do well with the Millcooweiser folks. Green bottle - possibly stale? (364 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

A-Amber with a quickly disappearing head

S- Malty....not too much going on for smell, but I'm coming down with a cold....

T- Malty, crisp, smooth

M- Light carbonation. Coats the tongue and slips down the throat easily.

D- Quite drinkable! I only bought a single, and am wishing I had bought more! (300 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

I love Oktoberfest beers and this one is the best of them. Though it's better some years than others, I always drink plenty of it. Might have been a little lacking this year, as a matter of fact, but I still love it. (221 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +0.8%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz bottle with no freshness date into my Carlsberg pilsner glass.

Appearence: Pours a clear coppery orange with two fingers of off-white head.

Smell: Very light roasted malt and piney hop aroma. Distinct skunkiness.

Taste: Average, if fairly light. Not a bad brew by any means but pretty forgettable. Biscuity malt up front with a slight, crisp hop finish. Mild skunkiness in the finish, as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with light carbonation. I could see this being a decent beer to get drunk off of because it is not particularly filling.

Overall: Drinkable, but forgettable. Spaten's other offerings are more impressive. (660 characters)

great on tap. Ive heard its great from a case to .... main reason for this is not light struck. why they use green bottles!! the 6 packs are open to get light through the green bottle and you get that corn / skunk aroma. what a unbelievable difference on tap! (259 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -12.5%

Served from a green bottle, aggressive pour into a pint glass.

Appearance: unlike the last reviewer, I thought this one was a bit light-colored for the style: it's much lighter in color than the Sam Adams and Paulaner Oktoberfest lagers I had last week. I figured the aggressive pour would yield much more head than it did; the same pour yielded a great amount of head on the Sam Adams version and almost an overflow on the Paulaner. Just a bit light in color...maybe I'm being picky, but I'm not impressed.

Smell: Ew. That's all I can say.

Taste: I assumed the smell would have an impact on the taste (after all, taste is based in large part on smell), so I was a bit surprised to find that it tastes OK. It's a bit too sour for my taste, though: I picture a good Oktoberfest as more malty than this one. I'd give it a little better than OK...but not much more.

Mouthfeel: pretty fizzy, but very thin. Nothing special on mouthfeel; it's not one that I'm liking the mouthfeel of it so much as I drink it that I'll get another one on feel alone. Average here.

Drinkability: low alcohol (somewhere around 6%, I think) makes this one an easy one to throw back if you want to do so, but the taste makes me think I'd not want to do more than 2 in a night. Great drinkability if not for that.

Overall, I'd say it's not bad, but it's certainly not great. It's a good bit cheaper than some other imports I've recently tried, but you definitely get what you pay for! Also, I'm really on the fence as to whether this review is both fair and applicable, as the beer might be skunked, as it's certainly not what I expected in terms of taste when I bought it. (green bottle) + (in-store fluorescent lighting) = (bad combo). (1,716 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Color was a brownish-honey color. Fairly small head even with a hard pour which vanished quickly.
S: Very sweet with a slight citrus smell
T: Begins with a sweet citrus taste followed by a roasted malt flavor, and a little bitterness.
M: Medium, mostly carbonation.
D: Very good for the style. (296 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

as it says on my page marzen Oktoberfest is my favorite style of beer. This one pours a nice golden yellow and has a medium head that is full hop and malt aroma. When you taste it your thirst is gone it is a great balance of malt to bitter and is light enough where you can have multiple and have room for more great beer. (322 characters)

This beer pours a nice transparent and dark amber color, and tops with a medium sized, off-white head. Not much lacing is left around the glass and it does not look too carbonated.

It has a rather crisp bready aroma to it, with malt characteristics and little hops. The aroma is rather refreshing and clean.

The beer itself tastes rather crisp and clean as well, with notable caramel and malt flavor. It drinks rather easily with slight sweetness and finishes with a touch of hops, but not much.

I am not too familiar with many Oktoberfest beers yet, but I did expect more from one. Also, being brewed by Spaten, I expected more as well in general. While this is a nice beer that is pleasant and refreshing to drink, it seems lacking for its style. I do enjoy the beer; I just wish I had more to say about it. There is not much to praise it for. (849 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -20.1%

I can't say I'm disappointed in this beer as something to drink, but (as Brother Jason) said it's just not a great example of an Oktoberfest. I'm certainly no expert, but to me it seems a little too sharp, thin and hoppy for the style. The main problem though is this is a bit too skunky, almost as bad as "regular" Beck's usually is. I'm afraid the solution might be for European brewers to stop shipping beer to the Americas in GREEN bottles. (Spaten's Optimator doppelbock comes in green glass too but doppelbock seems harder to damage with light and heat.)

I recommend that residents of the U.S.A. who like malty, sweetish and FRESH Oktoberfest beer should stick to a domestic example. (I'm fond of Samuel Adams', which is also easy to find here in Lexington, KY.) Spaten's Oktoberfest. on the other hand, might be delicious from a fresh keg in Munich (in case somebody wants to fly me there). (899 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer into a pint glass, came out a nice see through carmel color. A nice looking tan head formed. I could see the carbonation.

My first smell was a little skunky. Thought maybe I had an old bottle.

The taste was slightly malt forward, the funny thing was the skunky smell was not present in the taste. A nice balance of light malt and bitterness.

The beer was very carbonated and crisp. Not a real big mouthfeel, but very pleasant. The finish was crisp and quick. Nothing lingered at all. The skunky smell went away as the head went down.

I think that this is a real drinkable refreshing beer. I look forward to finding it on tap. (650 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Straight amber/copper color to it. Slow head dissipation.

S -Slight wheat, but mostly a clean smell off it.

T - Toasted malt initial taste with a smooth finish.

M - Carbonated feel, but works with this drink to give it some bite.

D - Good standard for the style. Drinks smoothly and leave too strong a taste behind.

Not an everyday beer, but for celebratory times when I tend to have it it works well. Definitely a drink to keep in mind. (446 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -1.7%

Had this at the real Oktoberfest in Munich. I'm not sure if this would not affect my review. When reviewing beers we need to add if this would be a good session beer. This beer at that location was perfect. Some feel that the style has changed due to the influence of the larger brewers and others coming out with ersatz "Oktoberfest" beers. I like a well balanced Marzen and this is a good representation of the style. (419 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -2%

A very drinkable beer, but it doesn't have the depth of flavor one would expect from an authentic German Oktoberfest bier. The appearance is great with a deep golden color. The aromas are exactly what you'd expect, but the flavors fall a bit short. It's better than most American impersonators, but it doesn't live up to it's appearance or the expectations of this "real deal" German Oktoberfest. (396 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -5.9%

There isn't really much to this simple but classic Octoberfest. As my buddy put it, the original. Nice body, taste, and feeling when you drink this. Nice balance of light hops with some great roasted malty tones to the finish. With the low ADV, this makes a great session beer to enjoy for an evening. I will admit, although the beer was nice and fresh, enjoying a nice fall season beer when its 85 outside in August didn't really seem right. Look forward to enjoying more of this as the leaves change. (502 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -21%

Pours deep amber color with very little head. Skunky aroma up front with a touch of raisin. Surprisingly clean taste, notes of caramel malt with subtle earthy finish. It is actually pretty refreshing despite first appearance and aroma. Nice, easy drinking with just the right amount of carbonation to clean your palate after each sip. Flavor stays consistent until the bottom of the glass. (389 characters)

I have to agree with alexrichman in the previous review except I give it slighty higher marks. Marzen Octoberfest brews are among my two favorite styles. This one is a must try. This really is a superior Octoberfest Marzen style beer. If this were avalible year round it would be in my fridge year round. (304 characters)

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu