Franziskaner Club-Weisse Kristalklar - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 07-06-2001)
Reviews by mizx:
mizx

United Kingdom (England)

01-26-2013 18:09:53 | More by mizx
oberon

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

I expected a little more complexity with this one,poured nicely golden color with a well retained head.Banana was the dominant smell from what I got.Taste was not very complex a little smokey with some banana notes.Easy to drink but nothing to write home about I think.

03-11-2003 07:49:31 | More by oberon
Marty

Maine

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a transparent golden-yellow wheat ale that's truly a beautiful sight to behold. When I opened the bottle I knew I was going to be pouring a yeast-less beer, but I was still caught off guard by just how clear it was. It readily formed a great big fluffy head that lasted fairly long.

The only disappointing surprise about this beer was the taste. Although noticeably fruit-tinged, I feel it lacked depth, and almost seemed a little diluted.

It would be unfair to compare this to any of its unfiltered cousins. I'll admit that this is the first filtered wheat that I've tried. I'm looking forward to trying some more, so I can get a better feel for the style.

04-06-2003 12:06:21 | More by Marty
RoyalT

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance – This one poured a light yellow in color with some orangish tints. The big, fluffy weizeny head showed some good retention and left some nice lacing. The carbonation was gushing from the bottom of the glass.

Smell – The big yeast nose was light and fluffy. It was laced with orange and carried some wonderful banana notes. The light coriander spicing went well with everything.

Taste – The big, fruity flavors were complimented with some light clove. The traditional bananas, peach, and pears were tremendous. It lost most of the yeast that I picked up from the nose, though, which was a bit disappointing.

Mouthfeel – This one is somewhat bigger than light-bodied with modest carbonation.

Drinkability – This is a good example of the style but the taste and mouthfeel didn’t quite live up to the promise of the appearance and the nose.

11-12-2004 01:39:26 | More by RoyalT
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

This a dull straw colored beer with a very big head that makes a proud showing the last. Champaigne carbonation looks really pretty. The aromas are citrus and very faint banana. This beer is very acidic on the palate and has a citrusy, spicy, character with subdued clove undertones and occasional berry notes. It is as if there is nothing to buffer the wheat "zip" anymore. Mouthfeel was thin and slightly astringent. I bet this would rock with lemon-baked fish.

This is my first kristal-weizen, but the style notes say it should be softer on the palate than hefe. That is not how I would describe this at all. You will note that I scored this beer highest on appearance. My guess is that is what it was bred for, in an effort to compete with Pilsner back in the day. While this is notably divergent from hefe in taste, I can't say I reccomend bothering with it unless you are a real freak for wheat beers of all stripes.

10-13-2006 01:26:27 | More by JudgeRoughneck
Billolick

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

pours clear and very light straw in color. Very light nose of lemon, clove and yeast. Very crisp and clean tasting (ie: not much flavor). Everything is very understated and subtle. nothing too exciting here, I prefer a bit more taste in my brew. A very high class, lawn mower brew. Would be great in hot weater and with light food.

02-08-2004 23:01:18 | More by Billolick
innominat

Ireland

12-10-2012 19:25:18 | More by innominat
Thrasher

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

This is not a hefeweizen. It is a kristal weizen and should be categorized as such on this website. I wonder why it is called "club-weisse" in the US. Perhaps to remind the consumer of club soda. That is certainly an appropriate comparison, for it is a thin, light, clear, clean weizen and might surprise weizen drinkers with its resemblance to pilsner/lager/helles/export type beers. It is quite drinkable and eminently refreshing, with wheat characteristics (banana, bubble gum) buried deep down in the brassy, complex taste.

04-23-2002 15:55:51 | More by Thrasher
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Full head white very consistent atop a golden filtered body this beer stands tall in my official Franzy wheat bier glass high carbonation jet stream from the bottom of the glass rising to the top very nice webbed patterns form of lace. Aroma has mild banana and clove aromatics very good toward my olfactories the sharp sweetness of the malt also plays a role here along with some German hopping maybe some Tettanag not quite sure though. Taste creamy and crisp full banana and clove yeastiness so good, the sweetness from the malted wheat is very tasty as well and perfect balance with the bittering hops thrown in can't ask much more from a filtered weiss. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and medium in body, drinkability is excellent less body than an unfiltered hefe but this adds to the drinkability just a tad most of the flavor is still there gotta love that.

11-06-2003 16:27:23 | More by WVbeergeek
Miha

Slovenia

06-02-2013 00:02:29 | More by Miha
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Don't know about the Kritalklar style, if the Kristall and the normal heffe were sitting side by side, i'd go for the Heffe, no doubt. This is still quite pleasant though.

02-25-2002 02:57:39 | More by rastaman
Brenden

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

This one's yellowish-gold. Carbonation is lively and keeps the head pretty well. Some thin lacing is left in a few spots.
There's almost all wheat on the nose, with a little bit of a light citrus and banana. A gentle spice is just perceptible.
The flavor is pretty much the same, with a fairly strong wheat base complimented by citrus, a subtle pepper nip, soft clove and a light malt underlying.
The mouthfeel is crisp with a bit of smoothness. The body is light to medium and carbonation is on the heavy side of moderate.
This is a nice, refreshing wheat beer that i could drink a few more of.

08-24-2009 18:50:18 | More by Brenden
RockyTopHeel

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Freaking giant head. Very pale yellow color, with a tinge of chartreuse. Club-weisse has a slightly wheaty nose, and looks like a pilsner, but tastes like a hefe - kinda. I liked this beer a little, but not too much, though it was light and kinda refreshing. This one seemed a touch off, and I'm going to taste it again to give it a fair shot.

Tasted from a 16.9 oz bottle.

09-20-2003 15:34:50 | More by RockyTopHeel
NeroFiddled

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

Even a gentle pour brings up a huge and pillowy bright-white head. The body is crystal clear and light gold in color - even yellowish when held to the light. Streams of tiny bubbles race to the surface continually reinforcing the head, and adding some "entertainment value" to its appearance. The nose is sweetly grainy with a soft "very ripe banana" note and a mild and very lightly spicy clove note. It's smoother than the standard Spaten hefe weizen with less actual yeastiness. The body is light/medium and there's a gentle caress on the tongue from a very fine and effervescent carbonation. The flavor starts with a well balanced malt that's gently sweet at first (entwined with some lightly spicy clove) and reveals a moderate bitterness as it crosses the palate. It dries out and cleans up in the finish leaving just a mildly lingering soft banana followed by light clove. The drying balance that makes the Franziskaner weizens so recognizable is clearly present, but this kristal version is lighter in character due to the lack of yeast. But that can be a good thing on a very hot summer day when you plan to have more than a few. Or, particularily for people who's digestive systems don't handle the yeast too well. In fact, I'd like to have one or two on hand to switch up to after having a few mit hefe. Very nice. An excellent beer from one of Germany's premier breweries.

11-16-2002 14:36:44 | More by NeroFiddled
Vanz

Australia

01-28-2014 00:25:20 | More by Vanz
bewareOFpenguin

Skeptical as I poured it. Almost too light, although cloudy. Good carbonaton. It tasted light, yet oddly satisfying. A good "quaffing" beer. It tasted quite refreshing, could be my new "summer" brew.

11-27-2002 07:37:00 | More by bewareOFpenguin
DESTRO

Nevada

3.6/5  rDev -3%

thought it would be a good lunch time brew to wash down a pastrami on rye. pours out crystal clear with a nice white bubbly head. faint aromas of yeast and breads and a touch of hay. flavor is light, a dulled down hefe, but that dosnt mean this beer dosn't have its time and place. light yeast and bready malt with the slightest lemon twang. very crisp and refreshing, simple yet effective at being what it aims to be, a drinkable, quenching brew.

$1.99 a pint.

12-09-2003 08:32:27 | More by DESTRO
Southernbrew

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

Nice straw color, decent head. Light smell, good fruit smell, definite banana aromas, to be expected. Medium mouthfeel, definite banana notes, lots of carbonation. Light aftertaste, still banana notes. Decent beer but certainly not the best weisse I've had.

03-01-2004 05:05:03 | More by Southernbrew
jackndan

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Club Weisse: A crystal clear weiss beer. Huge, thick, pure white beer with substantial staying power, and leaves thick lacing down the sides of the glass. The beer is a pale golden color, and as one would expect, is absolutely clear. The aroma is pleasant, with oranges and bananas. The initial taste is very sweet, almost sugary, that melds quickly into a light weisse beer taste, with emphasis on yeast ( oranges and bananas). The taste is light, and very pleasant, although I’d go with an unfiltered if I had the opportunity.

03-15-2003 18:09:19 | More by jackndan
bditty187

Nebraska

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

This beer pours a massive white fluffy head, fantastic staying power, decent lacing. The body is a clear yellow/light gold (maybe even a little “peachy”). The nose surprised me, very good spice (clove and pepper), banana, and some very faint malted wheat. The flavors on the palate are clove/pepper, banana, citrus, and wheat. The high carbonation works well as does the dry mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

This is the best Kristal Weizen I have had. Franziskaner Club-Weisse is not any better or any worse than a “traditional” Hefe; it is just different. If you judge this beer based on the style, I think, you will really like it. This beer will be recommended to all.

10-29-2002 18:00:22 | More by bditty187

12-28-2011 17:00:57 | More by kmwilson76
hotstuff

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

Another fine German Wheat brew that I enjoyed a lot. It poured a large white head. There was little lacing on the sides of my glass. Carbonation could be seen rising to the top. It had a smooth taste to it which is what I really enjoy. This is a brew that I would enjoy drinking on any given night.

07-08-2003 14:59:35 | More by hotstuff
basica

Singapore

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

I tasted this beer at Brauhaus during my first sitting there with Junde and Rex. It looks nice
like any clear weizens with a medium head. It has a typical weizen taste to it but sadly
also a strange sour taste which I did not find really pleasant. It was not tangy but stil
I do not like sourish taste in beers. Just like the Belgian Lambics which I am not too sure of
except that I definitely do not like the Mort Subite Kriek. On the whole I am not impressed
with this Kristallweizen though I really did not taste enough of it.
(Disclaimer: I did not have enough of this beer to write a review. This review is based on
what I feel from what I have tasted and I am writing it because I probably would not be
having this beer again.)

06-10-2007 08:47:15 | More by basica
OatmattStout

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

So crisp and delicious. A fluffy head with healthy carbonation that rose up in lines from the bottom in my tall Weisse glass. Really nice citrusy and tart flavors. Has a light grainy malty taste and sourdough aftertaste.It does have a surprisingly substantial mouth feel for a filtered hefe. This club weisse will see itself on my summer beer roster, and I agree with venom don't ask for a lemon on my watch, it's best when drank alone.

03-17-2005 01:46:55 | More by OatmattStout