Franziskaner Club-Weisse Kristalklar - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Kristalweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 07-06-2001

2.82/5  rDev -24%

As you'd expect, this pours crystal clear, pale straw in color with a hige frothy head. Strong wheat aroma with hints of banana and cloves, though milder than in its full-bred hefeweisen brother. The taste starts off nice, with a good spicy beginning, and a sweet mid-palate. High carbonation lends to a very light feel in the mouth. Hardly any hop bitterness in the finish -- this leaves a rather empty feeling in the back of the mouth, and while the finish is fairly dry, the aftertaste is a bit too sweet for me. I just don't get this style. You take a perfectly good hefeweisen like Franziskaner makes and you take out the yeast thinking what, that it'll make a good session beer? The yeast contributes a lot to the flavor of Franz's hefe, and when you take out that and the hops, you're left with a beer which relies too heavily on sweetness for effect to be anything I'd want to drink a lot of.

2.9/5  rDev -21.8%

Don't know about the Kritalklar style, if the Kristall and the normal heffe were sitting side by side, i'd go for the Heffe, no doubt. This is still quite pleasant though.

Pours a bright gold with a large, fizzy head that dies too quickly. A good many fat bubbles rise to the top. The nose is full of apples and nuts with a phenolic edge. Very crisp. Flavor is very bready, with wheat crackers, and apple juice. I like how, with each sip, I get that tart feeling in the back of my mouth near the molars. Like drikning cranberry juice (in the sense of the tartness only). This is all brought down in the aftertaste of band-aids. The band-aids are killing this for me. Crisply carbonated with a moderately light weight on the tongue. This is decent enough, but the weird aftertaste ruins the drinkability on this one.

Appearance: yellow, crystal clear, plentiful wheat head, best part of the brew
Smell: faint malt, some perfume-like scent that I couldn't pin down, not much else
Taste: weak tasting, missing much of what makes wheat beer drinking enjoyable
Mouthfeel: thin, sort of like an American lager
Drinkability: inoffensive, but thats not a good reason to buy a beer
Overall: just buy the Franziskaner Hefe, no reason to drink this beer again

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

16.9 oz bomber no freshness date.
Pours clear golden, with a huge fluffy marshmallow white head that lasted for what seemed like an eternity. As it slowly receded it left chunks of sticky lace in it’s wake.
Aroma is fruity and a little grainy.
Flavor is a litle fruity with a little pepper.
Finish is clean with a little touch of wheat.
I prefer the unfilterd version.

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Freaking giant head. Very pale yellow color, with a tinge of chartreuse. Club-weisse has a slightly wheaty nose, and looks like a pilsner, but tastes like a hefe - kinda. I liked this beer a little, but not too much, though it was light and kinda refreshing. This one seemed a touch off, and I'm going to taste it again to give it a fair shot.

Tasted from a 16.9 oz bottle.

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Chilled bottle poured into a Franziskaner glass.

Bright gold in color with lively effervescent bubbles flowing up towards a creamy thick head with solid retention.

Nose is strong with wheat as one would expect from a wheat based brew. Summer fruits and banana notes come through too.

Taste is strong with the fleshy wheat taste and peppered with sweet malt and citrus notes. Whilst in the mouth the beer is crisp and medium bodied with healthy carbonation.

Good fresh beer that would couple well with shell fish

3.12/5  rDev -15.9%

This is the first Kristal-Weizen I've ever tried. Super-clear yellow-gold color, looks like an American Pilsner except with a big puffy head. Smells like grass and lemons, taste was kind of lemony as well and somewhat spicy, but too mild. This beer was OK but just not enough flavor for me, tasted almost watered down. The fizzy mouthfeel and clean finish will slake your thirst, but if I had a choice I'd take their Hefe-Weisse or Dunkel over this one.

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

To me this was a overly complex budweiser in a lot of ways. Definitely more craft and taste, but still lacking. It pured a middle of the road golden witha thick white head that did not fade for a long time. The smell was sweet with strong scents of bannana. The taste was more dried bannana as well as some dried apricot flavors. I felt that the mouthfeel was the best part of this brew. It was thick and creamy, which is not what the appearence would have indicated. A decent beer, but not one I am keen on trying again.

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

I tasted this beer at Brauhaus during my first sitting there with Junde and Rex. It looks nice
like any clear weizens with a medium head. It has a typical weizen taste to it but sadly
also a strange sour taste which I did not find really pleasant. It was not tangy but stil
I do not like sourish taste in beers. Just like the Belgian Lambics which I am not too sure of
except that I definitely do not like the Mort Subite Kriek. On the whole I am not impressed
with this Kristallweizen though I really did not taste enough of it.
(Disclaimer: I did not have enough of this beer to write a review. This review is based on
what I feel from what I have tasted and I am writing it because I probably would not be
having this beer again.)

3.16/5  rDev -14.8%

pours a clear pale yellow with a deent head. Not much in the way of aroma, slight malt and mild citrusy hop smell. Taste was rather bland, lifeless, and short lived. This beer was thirst quenching, but nothing to really make me want another. Thin mouthfeel and unimpressive.

3.17/5  rDev -14.6%

1 pint 9oz. bottle

Pours with a great big head even with a slow pour. It dissipates but does not dissappear entirely. The color is a weak gold. Easy to see through. The scent is a pungent grass and wheat.

The wheat is highly detectable in the flavor. Some fruit, honey and a clove taste at the end. It does leave an unpleasant aftertaste unfortunately.

It has a slight watery feel and the drinkability has a bit too much carbonation. This makes it a little bit hard to swallow.

An enjoyable beer but not a first rater in my opinion.

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

A-Cloudy pale yellow (because of an agressive bartender pour) which yeilded a large frothy head. Thehead dissapated quick to fine lacing.
S-Pleasing sweetness slight bannana
T-Sweet taste a tad remanicent of a hefe but better.
D- Good drinkability, a session beer to say the least. Yummy.

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

I suppose this is the equivalent of a light version of the hefe-weisse. I definitely was not too keen on this beer. Pours a very clear and pale yellow with a good sized head. Very light smell of banana. Not a whole lot of taste going on with this beer. Mouthfeel is crisp, pretty much just like any light-bodied brew. More of a summer beer than anything else. I have a feeling this had been on the shelves for a while - probably did not help matters. You could drink a whole lot of this without much problem, although I don't see myself going back to this anytime within my lifetime.

3.21/5  rDev -13.5%

This beer poured from the bottle very clear golden with a good white head. My friend was drinking a Bud Light and they were very similar in liquid and head color. The aroma was subtle. The banana/clove smell was present but not very strong. The taste was similar in character. I would suggest that this beer be given to someone experimenting with this style of beer. It has the characteristics of the style but is not pushing in of its aspects.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Club Weisse: A crystal clear weiss beer. Huge, thick, pure white beer with substantial staying power, and leaves thick lacing down the sides of the glass. The beer is a pale golden color, and as one would expect, is absolutely clear. The aroma is pleasant, with oranges and bananas. The initial taste is very sweet, almost sugary, that melds quickly into a light weisse beer taste, with emphasis on yeast ( oranges and bananas). The taste is light, and very pleasant, although I’d go with an unfiltered if I had the opportunity.

3.26/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance: Regular German half liter bottle with a freshness month and year on the front. Pours the nice sharp traditional filtered Krystal color. Frothy yet sharp head with good retention. Professional grade look. Semi-vigorous bubbles, moving quickly to the top.

Smell: Sharp clove notes with a some what estery back drop. Reaches back into the nose. Slight detection of the hops.

Taste: Sweet, clove taste ever present with a nice back drop to the hops. Feels like a good summer style beer. Good sweet after taste.

Mouthfeel: A bit sharp but not heavy in the least not a challenge to drink nor does it feel like you are drinking your meal. Good flavor with a nice notes to it.

Drinkability: Good beer, all around. Made professionally and you can taste it. Not the sweetest example of a Krystal but good none the less.

3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

I've always had doubts about clear Weissbier, though actually I've tried this type of beer only twice (Erdinger and Paulaner) in the past and can't really remember any goodies about them, as the cloudy ones always tend to almost immediately refresh my memories in favour of the positive elements of any Weissbier... Got this bottle recently at my local Sainsbury's at 1.33pounds, so I'd say it's a bargain and just in time for me to review my first Kristalklar on the BA website...

A: served in a 300ml Weissbier glass, it pours a pale-straw colour, with abundant, big fizz and a thick, fluffy, sponge-like white beerhead gradually settling down to a half-inch thick froth...
S: upfront there's refreshingly spicy aroma of cloves mixed with green bananas and freshly-cut wood chips, on top of some sour edge of wheats and a very special smell like Chinese red-bean paste!! Overall the nose is lively and nice but a bit one-dimensional.
T&M: crisp mouthfeel of malted wheats assumes itself first, while banana-flavoured candy and a weak flavour of mixed spices follow through immediately... graduallying warming up at the back of the throat and leaving a slightly peppery, dryish sweet, and clean finish. It goes down a bit too smoothly I even feel it's watery and bland at times, especially towards the end, and the aftertaste is kept at the minimum, to my disappointment. It's not a BAD beer, but not a very impressive one either.
D: this is the 3rd Kristalklar I've had in my life and it certainly helps me make up my mind to stick to Hefe-Weizen from this point on, as the latter provides much better value and enjoyment for money anyway...

3.29/5  rDev -11.3%

The extremely dense and persistent head tops a gorgeous golden hued brew. The brilliant clarity is indicative of ample filtration and/or fining agents-- it approaches lager - like clarity. Banana esters and malt sweetness dominate the aroma, but lemon - like fruit notes hit the nose as well. The mouthfeel lacks the thick viscosity that a traditional German Weiss should have. The finish is much drier than other examples for style... Crystal Weiss's are an odd style of wheat. Personally I love cloudy, yeasty, and unfiltered Weisses. Although Club - Weisse is a tasty brew, it left me longin for a German Weisse with more character all - around.

3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

I expected a little more complexity with this one,poured nicely golden color with a well retained head.Banana was the dominant smell from what I got.Taste was not very complex a little smokey with some banana notes.Easy to drink but nothing to write home about I think.

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Typical German bottle label. A rather well-fed Monk, resplendent in brown smock, keys in one hand, empty beer glass in the other, and patting what appears to be an old WW1 Gas Mask bag on his chest (I’m sure it’s not, but looks like it). The bottle has a silver label, and a silver foil on the neck proudly pronouncing “Imported”, which is kind of a strange thing for me, it’s German and on sale in the US, so why advertise this fact? It concerns me greatly, for “Imported” is a very “macro” label in nature I feel. As Ozzy Ozbournes once said, am I just Paranoid??
Nevertheless, that aside, it pours a brilliant clear yellow, cheap gold, color. This is definitely a Crystal Wheat Beer. The head soon settles to a thin white cloudy ¼”, leaving lace on the glass. Nose is malt with a very restrained hop character. Middle is sweet, mouthfeel is average. Finish has a light hoppiness, with a sickly sweet cloying residue. I will be honest, that I would have great difficulty differentiating this beer from pseudo-teutonic lagers I think.
I spoke too soon earlier. This is the first German Bier that I do take issue with. Why? Well I feel that this beer could have been produced anywhere in the world. Perhaps I am being a bit tough – who knows.
I guess what I mean is – is this really German?? Personally, I don’t get that from this beer - so I don't think it is. I have never seen this beer anywhere else, but I feel it has a rather "commercial flavor" to it.
It’s the most disappointing German Bier to date far for me.
A pleasant enough beer, but it far from impresses me. Is this German Bud??!??! Sorry couldn't resist that.

3.41/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: pale yellow, lots of effervescense, huge pillow of white froth, good head retention, lace

Aroma: mellow scent of clove-dusted bananas, wheat, and a distant leafy hop aroma

Flavor: wheaty and mildly sweet; hint of honey and clove; finishes semisweet with a bready aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, prickly carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: I definitely prefer my weissbiers unfiltered, but this is still pretty good. Franziskaner is certainly one of the "hallmarks" of this style.

3.46/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours crystal clear gold with a huge lasting head.
Nose shows grassy and floral European hops with lots of doughy wheat and some soft spicy phenols.
Flavours include light fruit (pears and white grapes) and doughy wheat. Finishes with a hint of lemon and a very mild bitterness.
Carbonation is nice and high. Body seems a little watery.

3.46/5  rDev -6.7%

Tasted on 23rd June 2005, Best by date end 06.05. ABV: 5%

Appearence quite good, poured nicely into beerglass with a great head forming (reminiscent of Duvel). Plenty of bubbles forming.

Smelt of very little really, fairly mild scents, hard to identify.

Taste was only okay, true to style (yeast filtered out) slightly "rusty pipe" flavour.

Mouthfeel was very nice, silky smooth, the best thing about the brew.

Drinkability, better than average but a little dissapointing.

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

This one's yellowish-gold. Carbonation is lively and keeps the head pretty well. Some thin lacing is left in a few spots.
There's almost all wheat on the nose, with a little bit of a light citrus and banana. A gentle spice is just perceptible.
The flavor is pretty much the same, with a fairly strong wheat base complimented by citrus, a subtle pepper nip, soft clove and a light malt underlying.
The mouthfeel is crisp with a bit of smoothness. The body is light to medium and carbonation is on the heavy side of moderate.
This is a nice, refreshing wheat beer that i could drink a few more of.

Franziskaner Club-Weisse Kristalklar from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu