Franziskaner Club-Weisse Kristalklar - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 07-06-2001)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
thierrynantes

France

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Beer bottle (50cl), tasted in 2004.

Appearance: white beer filtered to the appearance of a pils (transparency of the crystal), but the comparison stops! It is enough to feel (wheat). beautiful white head.
Smell: nose of grass, wheat.
Taste: taste of banana, it is very aromatic, with hints of hay and apples.
Drinkability: a good beer in the style Weizen kristal

10-31-2007 14:45:21 | More by thierrynantes
willjschmidt

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a .5 liter bottle (marked "best by 03/2008) into a Franziskaner weizen glass.

A: Pours a pale golden color with a very good white head. Good lacing and a thin head remains throughout.

S: Same smells as the hefe (citrus, spices, etc.) except more muted and much less yeast in the aroma.

T: Again, the same taste as the regular hefe except everything is lighter and cleaner. It's basically like a hefe-light. I think that the hops are a bit more apparent in this one than in the unfiltered hefe.

M: Light bodied, plenty of carbonation.

D: High on the drinkability scale. It's light refreshing and rather tasty. If you're looking for a light yet flavorful beer on a hot summer day then this might fit the bill.

07-12-2007 15:46:38 | More by willjschmidt
AlexLMS

Portugal

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

I’ve tried it in a beautiful Franziskaner glass.

Appearance: very clear, with a light golden color. The head is white, large and frothy although not very persistent.
Aroma: an agreeable fruity nose with a citrus characteristic and a small hint of banana.
Taste: balanced towards the sweet side of the wheat malt.
Mouthfeel: smooth and silky, good carbonation, fair alcoholic strength and a moderate body.
Finish: lingering bitter aftertaste.

Overall: this one was my first kristall weizen and it proved to be very refreshing, satiating and well balanced. The only downside was the not so persistent head. I may have another one but I sincerely prefer the non-filtered Franziskaner.

06-27-2007 18:58:57 | More by AlexLMS
basica

Singapore

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

I tasted this beer at Brauhaus during my first sitting there with Junde and Rex. It looks nice
like any clear weizens with a medium head. It has a typical weizen taste to it but sadly
also a strange sour taste which I did not find really pleasant. It was not tangy but stil
I do not like sourish taste in beers. Just like the Belgian Lambics which I am not too sure of
except that I definitely do not like the Mort Subite Kriek. On the whole I am not impressed
with this Kristallweizen though I really did not taste enough of it.
(Disclaimer: I did not have enough of this beer to write a review. This review is based on
what I feel from what I have tasted and I am writing it because I probably would not be
having this beer again.)

06-10-2007 08:47:15 | More by basica
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

500ml bottle poured into my tucher weizen glass.

Appearance: This beer poured an anaemic yellow with a very explosive lively beading. 4 finger creamy head sitting proudly towering above the rim of the glass.. produces fine lacing.

Smell: The smell is the traditional banana and cloves, somewhat medicinal, fresh grass and lemons.

Taste: lots of fresh wheat and grass up front, some sweet malt comes through aswell, hop bitterness in the finish with cloves apparent throughout. No real banana flavours there.

Mouthfeel: lively carbonation, and not watery like some hefe's. very refreshing

Drinkability - very refreshing when chilled, unlike others, i feel this benefits with a lemon wedge slapped in there for a citric summer edge. Had this tonight to finish off my beer stash, so i can go on a 2 month abstinence, roll on summer for me!

02-05-2007 23:04:48 | More by seanyfo
GreenCard

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: pale yellow, lots of effervescense, huge pillow of white froth, good head retention, lace

Aroma: mellow scent of clove-dusted bananas, wheat, and a distant leafy hop aroma

Flavor: wheaty and mildly sweet; hint of honey and clove; finishes semisweet with a bready aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, prickly carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: I definitely prefer my weissbiers unfiltered, but this is still pretty good. Franziskaner is certainly one of the "hallmarks" of this style.

01-18-2007 11:39:22 | More by GreenCard
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

This a dull straw colored beer with a very big head that makes a proud showing the last. Champaigne carbonation looks really pretty. The aromas are citrus and very faint banana. This beer is very acidic on the palate and has a citrusy, spicy, character with subdued clove undertones and occasional berry notes. It is as if there is nothing to buffer the wheat "zip" anymore. Mouthfeel was thin and slightly astringent. I bet this would rock with lemon-baked fish.

This is my first kristal-weizen, but the style notes say it should be softer on the palate than hefe. That is not how I would describe this at all. You will note that I scored this beer highest on appearance. My guess is that is what it was bred for, in an effort to compete with Pilsner back in the day. While this is notably divergent from hefe in taste, I can't say I reccomend bothering with it unless you are a real freak for wheat beers of all stripes.

10-13-2006 01:26:27 | More by JudgeRoughneck
jasonjlewis

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Tastes like a hefe but sweeter, Nice head and retention. It has the best retention I've seen in a long time. Nice pale color.
I may recommend this to my friends who are scared of yeast and won't touch wheat beers.

Smell was sweet and effervescent.
Taste was like a hefe but sweeter.
Mouthfeel was crisp and full.
This beer is definetly a session beer

09-12-2006 01:38:20 | More by jasonjlewis
bunbury

Panama

3.88/5  rDev +4%

nice product from the Franziskaner family, Kristallklar pours nicely, with a two finger white head that actually stays there until half of the glass. smells a bit sweet, but definetly hefe. .. is like the "lager" of his type, its color is golden, as the name says is cristal see-trough-glass yellow color, . .. carbonation is something i miss in most beer, but not on this one :) , lots of bubbles.

08-04-2006 03:16:29 | More by bunbury
scruffwhor

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance- Pours a good two finger head that withers to a thick foam and sparse lacing. The carbonation is very visual and consistant. The color is a mix of weiss and pils. A little clear and bright to be considered a weiss at first glance.

Smell- A cool mix of grassy, bright mlats and the more subdued wheat aromas. Slightly tinny.

Taste- A great mix of lager and ale flavors. Very crisp lagery like wheat flavor on the palate. Then some more natural flavors I notice in pilsners come out and mix with the semi-sweet wheat flavors.

Mouthfeel- A little metallic for my liking, but still very refreshing on this hot day. The flavors quickly pass over the flavors sensors, but not too quickly.

06-17-2006 21:02:17 | More by scruffwhor
goochpunch

2.93/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a bright gold with a large, fizzy head that dies too quickly. A good many fat bubbles rise to the top. The nose is full of apples and nuts with a phenolic edge. Very crisp. Flavor is very bready, with wheat crackers, and apple juice. I like how, with each sip, I get that tart feeling in the back of my mouth near the molars. Like drikning cranberry juice (in the sense of the tartness only). This is all brought down in the aftertaste of band-aids. The band-aids are killing this for me. Crisply carbonated with a moderately light weight on the tongue. This is decent enough, but the weird aftertaste ruins the drinkability on this one.

04-13-2006 07:13:34 | More by goochpunch
Globetrotter

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Received as a birthday present (thanks, Jess), the bottle is standard German brown half liter with silver foil on the tapered neck and a silver and blue label featuring a happy monk hold a liter Masskrug. Purity law applies, of course. Best before the end of October, I opened it on 3/3/06.

Pours a crystal clear fairly deep gold under a two finger white head that recedes every so slowly, with lots of body, leaving lovely sheets of lace. The nose is full of spice and citrus, with clove and lemon the predominant strains. The mouth is well carbonated and fairly heavy, almost sticking to the tongue. The taste is tart, with the lemon dominating. Lots of clove, too, and perhaps a bit of coriander. A touch of bitter hops emerges very late, but the overwhelming impression is slightly sour and very spicey, with a definite touch of wheat. Nice summer quaffer.

03-03-2006 19:44:50 | More by Globetrotter
daliandragon

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Ok, I realize its not exactly the time of year for this but I was just in the mood for a hefe. I like how this beer smells, its just so strange matching that banana clove sweet stench with the completely clear body and milky head...where does the sediment go? At any rate, the clear mellow gold color, the sugary hefe nose with a touch of citrus, sounds like we're good to go.
This is a nice, methodical, organized taste. The wheat is subtle but still intregal, and the mouthfeel is slightly overcarbonated but otherwise spot on. This is a good hefe if not such an especially strong one. I find myself missing the sediment but only from a visual perspective as the taste and smell are textbook. Not one of my very favorite hefes but I wouldn't turn this down on a hot day.

12-29-2005 05:56:26 | More by daliandragon
Zorro

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

After a lot of searching I finally found the elusive Franziskaner Kristalklar!

Pours a super clear yellow colored beer with a massive white head that unfortunately dies fairly quickly.

Smell is a little metallic with a spicy cloves and bread scent. There is a fair bit of acid in the scent but I can't really call this lemony.

Taste is mostly bready with a good amount of clove spice and a lesser banana and Band-Aid flavors. Fairly strong herbal hop in the finish that is very strong by German standards for wheat beer. The aggressive hops add a good refreshing finish to what is for all intents and results a wheat lager beer.

Mouthfeel is good, but the carbonation might be a bit too much.

Excellent drinkability here. Much closer to a lager than a Weizen in experience this is a very good choice for when some summer bays you are just tired of HefeWeizen and need a change.

11-11-2005 03:19:03 | More by Zorro
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

3.28/5  rDev -12.1%

I've always had doubts about clear Weissbier, though actually I've tried this type of beer only twice (Erdinger and Paulaner) in the past and can't really remember any goodies about them, as the cloudy ones always tend to almost immediately refresh my memories in favour of the positive elements of any Weissbier... Got this bottle recently at my local Sainsbury's at 1.33pounds, so I'd say it's a bargain and just in time for me to review my first Kristalklar on the BA website...

A: served in a 300ml Weissbier glass, it pours a pale-straw colour, with abundant, big fizz and a thick, fluffy, sponge-like white beerhead gradually settling down to a half-inch thick froth...
S: upfront there's refreshingly spicy aroma of cloves mixed with green bananas and freshly-cut wood chips, on top of some sour edge of wheats and a very special smell like Chinese red-bean paste!! Overall the nose is lively and nice but a bit one-dimensional.
T&M: crisp mouthfeel of malted wheats assumes itself first, while banana-flavoured candy and a weak flavour of mixed spices follow through immediately... graduallying warming up at the back of the throat and leaving a slightly peppery, dryish sweet, and clean finish. It goes down a bit too smoothly I even feel it's watery and bland at times, especially towards the end, and the aftertaste is kept at the minimum, to my disappointment. It's not a BAD beer, but not a very impressive one either.
D: this is the 3rd Kristalklar I've had in my life and it certainly helps me make up my mind to stick to Hefe-Weizen from this point on, as the latter provides much better value and enjoyment for money anyway...

08-09-2005 18:35:48 | More by wl0307
JohnfromDublin

Ireland

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

Tasted on 23rd June 2005, Best by date end 06.05. ABV: 5%

Appearence quite good, poured nicely into beerglass with a great head forming (reminiscent of Duvel). Plenty of bubbles forming.

Smelt of very little really, fairly mild scents, hard to identify.

Taste was only okay, true to style (yeast filtered out) slightly "rusty pipe" flavour.

Mouthfeel was very nice, silky smooth, the best thing about the brew.

Drinkability, better than average but a little dissapointing.

06-27-2005 08:58:22 | More by JohnfromDublin
clvand0

Kentucky

4.55/5  rDev +22%

I love me some Franz. This one pours a yellow color with a tall head that has nice retention. Awesome aroma. Lots of banana, cloves, and grains - just what I like. The flavor is very much like the standard Franz, but the fruits come through a little better and this one seems to be a little more creamy. Very tasty. Excellent hefe.

05-16-2005 16:54:40 | More by clvand0
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Found this in Chicago-area last weekend. It pours a clean, straw color with a 3 finger head that sticks around nicely. The nose is nice and aromatic, with banana sweetness and clove. Slight creamyness as wel. The flavor is more mellow than the regular. Banana is more weak, clove is a little more forward. The flavor is clean, very refreshing. The feel is creamy, moderate, where I expect it to be. I am a big hefe fan, so the kristal is another that I tend to enjoy. I think I could drink more of these than the standard franz. I like the way this beer is built.

05-06-2005 02:30:13 | More by kmpitz2
usualpulp

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a golden yellow with a massive fluffy white head that lasts a long time, and leaves nice lacing down the glass.
The smell is very typical of a weizen, yeast , and wheat.
This beer is clean and crisp, nice wheat and citrus flavors, but just a little too carbonated. Taste is very similar to the franziskaner hefe, but the extra carbonation changes the beer signifigantly. Overall this is a good beer, just not something I would drink often.

04-17-2005 23:36:33 | More by usualpulp
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

16.9 oz bomber no freshness date.
Pours clear golden, with a huge fluffy marshmallow white head that lasted for what seemed like an eternity. As it slowly receded it left chunks of sticky lace in it’s wake.
Aroma is fruity and a little grainy.
Flavor is a litle fruity with a little pepper.
Finish is clean with a little touch of wheat.
I prefer the unfilterd version.

04-09-2005 05:59:02 | More by Padron4KM
Gagnonsux

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

I haven't seen this one around much lately, so when I spied some at Spec's I naturally picked some up. Club-Weisse's color is golden yellow, carbonation is moderate, and the head is huge and sticky. The aroma is of an average strength mix of cloves and bananas. Not much different in aroma than the Fraziskaner Hefe. The taste has an initial strong bite of banana-clove which then settles out to a more average level. Overall taste is enjoyably fruity and spicy. Mouthfeel is probably the standout feature of this beer. Club-Weisse is very active and crisp on the tongue. I was expecting this beer to be a lighter flavored version of their Hefe, but I was pleasently surprised with a very tasty and easy drinking beer.

03-30-2005 22:33:51 | More by Gagnonsux
OatmattStout

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

So crisp and delicious. A fluffy head with healthy carbonation that rose up in lines from the bottom in my tall Weisse glass. Really nice citrusy and tart flavors. Has a light grainy malty taste and sourdough aftertaste.It does have a surprisingly substantial mouth feel for a filtered hefe. This club weisse will see itself on my summer beer roster, and I agree with venom don't ask for a lemon on my watch, it's best when drank alone.

03-17-2005 01:46:55 | More by OatmattStout
kosmoraios

Washington

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Interesting. Pours a very light yellow into my tulip glass (all that was clean at the time) with a huge white head that doesn't ever fully settle. Smells were definitely of wheat and french bread, with a wee hint of green bananna. Taste is of wheat, very light freshly baked sourdough, a hint of apple. A bit more complexity develops as it warms, but there's not too much to describe here. This beer is lighter than a hefe-weizen, and looks like an american macrobrew, except for the huge head. A bit too light in taste and texture for me, but the mouthfeel did boast a bit of pepperyness due mostly to the carbonation. Very drinkable, as it is so light. You could easily knock 2 750ml bottles out. Not my favorite, but I suppose that it is good for the style.

02-10-2005 03:10:43 | More by kosmoraios
beveragecaptain

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

.5 L bottle. Pours a clear golden with a big rocky head that is almost pure white. Endlessly rising bubbles. Citrus aroma. Solid wheat flavor. Slightly fruity. The high carbonation makes it taste spicy. Fuller mouthfeel than I expected – probably because the color is similar to many cheap American lagers. This is my first Kristall-Weizen, and I’m now curious to try other versions.

01-12-2005 00:55:01 | More by beveragecaptain
allengarvin

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Presentation: Half-liter bottle in a Tucher weizen glass. I have some franziskaner glasses, but the Tuchers are much better quality.

Appearance: Very pale golden color with lots of very fine bubbles streaming upwards through the brew. A good inch of foam, lasting well, even though I poured it carefully.

Aroma: Fine, light fruity aroma (a little citrusy). Nice wheat smell too.

Flavor: Good wheat malt up front, with slight fruitiness, not enough to pin down as banana or other fruit. A lot less phenolic than the hefeweizen, but also creamier.

Body: Medium-light body, with spritzy carbonation and mouthfeel.

Bland compared to the hefe, but a good light summer beer.

12-01-2004 03:03:54 | More by allengarvin