Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,577 | Reviews: 806
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured a big white creamy thick head then went tastes sweet with bread then finishes a touch sour

2.69/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was surprised that I did not enjoy this beer as much as I thought I would. I loved Weihenstephaner Hefe Weiss, and wanted to try their Dunkel. The Craft Neer store did not have that, but this was recommended to me instead. I love German wheats, and I enjoy dark brews, but I am not A fan of the Franziskaner Weissbier Dunkel. It has an unpleasant metallic taste that pops up in the middle of the swallow, thank God it has a pleasant aftertaste that eclipses the metal. I will stil try the Weihenstaphaner Hefe Weissbier Dunkel, but I will not be buying the Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier Dunkel again.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel has a thick, cream-colored head, a murky, red-brown-gold appearance, fierce bubble streams. Lacing isn’t much, with this one. Aroma is of wildflowers, yeast, and bread, and the taste is of sweet, spicy bread, tap water, and a touch of sourness. Mouthfeel is medium and fluffy, and Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel finishes on the dry side and drinkable.

RJT

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great tasting dunkel hefe-weisse beer. I always prefer dunkel over the light tasting hefe-weisee beers. Franziskaner makes a great tasting, smooth tasting beer here. I've been drinking this beer for about 2 years now and I always go back to it when I try different dunkel hefe-weise beers. Give it a try and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Pretty good Dunkel, I always liked regular HefeWeissens over Dunkels though

3.83/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Heck of a dunkel. Could have had a better, fuller feel but still a terrific German brew !

4.29/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pretty tasty, but it reminded me more of just a standard Hefeweizen beer, not much more. Lots of banana and clove flavors.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - dark brown and hazy with a reasonable head which stayed around and left some lacing. S - slightly spicy scent of cloves and fruity esters. T - maltiness and fruitiness dominate but overall they balance out a bit and there's no overriding strong flavour. Some might see it is a bit weak or bland but I think it makes it pretty sessionable. M - soft carbonation makes it pretty smooth. O - I probably expected more flavour from this but it ended up making it highly drinkable whereas with many hefe and wheat beers I wouldn't drink more than one. A good beer and happy to drink again.

1.46/5  rDev -61.9%

Im sorry but this beer is not at all good to me. Thats just me, it may work for others. Was hoping it would be somewhat good since it was a Dunkel. Wont even review it, sorry. Had to fight just to finish half of the glass. I guess I just dont like German wheat beeer

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Caramel, toffee, figs, raisins and faint clove. Sweet and tasty.

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My dearest funks loved the dunks

Tastey beer cannot drink just one

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Cloudy brown. Head dissipates to a spotty lace.
S: The gingerbread aroma of a hefeweizen is a little muted in the dunkel offering. Smell is sweet, banana-ish.
T: Sweeter than a regular hefeweizen with a slightly sour finish.
M: Smooth thanks to the soft carbonation
O: One of my go to beers. Often when I can't decide what to get, I'll grab one of these. Sweet, malty hefeweisse.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Estilo: Dunkel
Alcohol: 5.0 ABV

Apariencia: Cerveza turbia color marrón oscuro con brillos color cobre y concentraciones en color café oscuro. Corona de espuma ligera de alta retención. Visibles sedimentos al fondo del vaso.

Aroma: Olor frutal y a especias como clavo, pimienta, azúcar quemada, madera. Sutilidades de lúpulo. Frutas oscuras como el higo y malta tostada.

Sabor: Sabor a plátano que contrasta con el sabor tostado de los granos de malta. Gusto a levadura y notas de pan. Muy poca acidez.

Sensación: Cuerpo medio con carbonatación baja.

General: Una cerveza muy agradable, balanceada y ligera. Puedes tomar varias.

4.75/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Spaten Franziskaner Bräu dunkelweizen weissbier is my favorite beer ever, but it has always been hard to find. My specialty beer store had a time getting it, and they don't have it anymore. For the last year or so, World Market was the only place I could get it, and now they tell me it's been discontinued in that size. This site says its' still available. How do I get it?

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Years ago as I was going thru craft beer education, wheat beers were my favorite and this beer topped my list. I have grown to be an open minded hop head and haven't had this beer in a few years and not much wheat beer in general. I'm not the best person to review wheat beers. This is a very good beer but I am sure there are others better made. Worth a try, works very well with a couple orange slices.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

My favorite beer. It is dark but smooth.

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

A 16.9 ounce Euro Bomber poured into dimpled glass beer mug.

Appearance - Murky brown color. Big head that dissipates pretty quickly. No stickage to speak of.

Smell - Sweet. Bananas. Malty. Slight sour aroma.

Taste - Sweet, melon like flavor. Slightly sour. Malty. Minimal hop finish.

Mouth - Fizzy. Buttery. Nice.

Overall- A nice German wheat beer that is easy-drinking and unassuming. All of the required pieces are there (sweet malt and sour yeast flavors). It's just that, when compared to some of its German competitors, such as Wienhenstephener, this ale comes off as a touch bland. A very good but not great hefeweizen. P.S. You shouldn't be surprised to learn that this is an InBev product.

4.75/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

great dunkel one of my favorites

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a weisse vase, the beer is a dark, muddled, golden brown coloring with a frothy, low profile, tan head. Aromas of nut sweetness, smoked caramel, and subtle toffee. Sweet and balanced. The flavors are nutty and tangy caramel sweet, with hints of date and fig, and subtle roast notes. Smooth and full bodied, with a short lived fruit bread aftertaste cut by the crisp, clean finish. Solid beer.

3.32/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a pint bottle.
Appearance: medium brown with some reddish hues. There was a ton of carbonation present on the pour. The head is thick and white.
Smell: not much going on. A bit of banana and clove.
Taste: mostly traditional wheat character but very toned down. There is a slightly metallic finish.
Mouthfeel: fairly thin and fizzy.
This beer was a big disappointment. I generally like wheat beers but found this one lacking flavor and just generally bland.

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

My favourite dunkel. It was also the first one I tried.

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite commercial beer. I'm always surprised that more people don't love it. I even love that happy monk on the label. I probably don't drink this the way a beer snob would think is correct. I like this very cold.

Review following the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 15B). Bottle 50 cl - Batch 17.03.2013 20:11. AROMA: clove, slight sweet vanilla, dried grapes, raw yeast, wheat and caramel malts. no hop aromas. no diacetyl or DMS. APPEARANCE: dark copper color with a slight off-white medium-thin and moussy head. average retention. TASTE: slight sweet caramelly taste with wheat and clove. esters and phenols almost absent. very low bitterness and finishes somewhat sweet. a little dull. PALATE: medium-light body with average carbonation. OVERALL: a below average bulk dunkelweizen, a little dull across the board.

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%

I love this beer, smooth easy drinking. caramel and toffee ,sweet bananas, more than just a wheat beer, Dunkelweizen's are a awesome combo of hefe's and dunkel, a good year round beer

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu