Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse DunkelFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Dunkelweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel Alström Bros
Reviews: 808 | Hads: 1,616

This bier is just great; I would have to say it is my favorite. It looks great; I love the smell as I lift my Weizen glass to my mouth. I’ve offered it to friends and they also love it. The price is usually less than other German Weizen biers, which make it even better.

4.83/5  rDev +26.8%

Poured on-tap into weizen glass...direct from the source in Germany!
A: Cloudy dark tan with hints of yellow around the edge. Thick, foamy head forms and lasts.
S: Malt, banana, clove, and other spices.
T: Superb and fresh flavors. Nice malt backbone that doesn't overpower. Equal parts banana, clove, and yeasty malt. Tremendous on-tap (not the same in the bottle unfortunately).
M: Wonderfully smooth and coats the tongue. Medium body...almost chewy. Taste lingers nicely.
D: Oh so drinkable. One weizen glass is not enough! My favorite dunkelweizen that I had in Germany.

4.81/5  rDev +26.2%

A dark, hazy caramel color, with a foamy head.

Smell: mix of caramel, banana tempura(not too sweet though), yeast, chocolate

taste: No bitterness at all, just malty goodness!

mouthfeel: full bodied, yet not thick. It was light and refreshing.

Drinkability: I could drink this all night!

One of my new favorites, especially for the fall.

4.79/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My review is based on the draft version. Although first introduced to this beer in the bottle, I highly prefer draft beer and have owned a keg cooler for over 25 years. Anyone who owns a keg cooler system understands that selection is very limited compared to what is available in the bottle. The two dunkel wheat beers available where I live in the US are Franziskaner and Hacker-Pschorr. Both are very good, but the Franziskaner is more readily available year round and is therefore my favorite. The great thing about this beer is that there has never been a guest in my home who has not been pleased when served with a glass of this brew, including people who generally do not like beer and only drink light beers. It is truly exsceptional to find a beer that virtually everone from craft IPA drinkers to light beer drinkers enjoy. I can only hope that this dunkel and more of this style become available in the keg.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Spaten Franziskaner Bräu dunkelweizen weissbier is my favorite beer ever, but it has always been hard to find. My specialty beer store had a time getting it, and they don't have it anymore. For the last year or so, World Market was the only place I could get it, and now they tell me it's been discontinued in that size. This site says its' still available. How do I get it?

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

I lived in Germany for 13 years, (Army Brat) and used to drink Dunkel Hefeweizen, all the time. I don't remember the brand, but... this is the closest I've have gotten since I've been back to the US.

I'm not a beer connoisseur, but I have tried a lot. This ones top notch. If your looking for a authentic German tasting Dark wheat beer... look no further.

I don't always drink beer but when I do I drink Hefeweizen. (Dunkel where I can get it.) :P

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

One of Germany's gems. Poured carefully into a tall hefe-weizen glass, you get a nice foamy head, dabs of lace and dark reddish brown color. This is one beer that you want the sediment from the bottom--I absolutely love seeing those yeast floaters swimming around in and finally settling. With all that, you're going to get some decent carbonation, not too strong but not too light. Already perfect.

Smells yeasty and nutty, neither characteristic overwhelming the the other. Yeast is like fresh baked rolls, nuttiness is mild and mellow. Yeast and malts up front when you finally take a taste, also somewhat grassy, nutty, with a slightly sweet background. Seriously thirst-quenching, slightly dry.

Totally satisfying mouthfeel, quite velvety...if it weren't so tasty I'd keep it in the mouth and on the tongue a lot longer.

It's on the heavier scale, though for a German dark it's not imposing. Still, you wouldn't want to have more than 2 unless you were looking to be weighted down and well-buzzed (not a high ABV, but I always get the large bottle). So maybe it's not perfect, but darn close.

4.67/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from 500ml bottle into my trusty nonic (the new official tasting glass).

Appearance: Pours a toffee color with a HUGE, thick, tan-ish head. The head dissipates slowly and leaves a lot of lace as it goes- a beauty.

Smell: Sweet, candy-like aroma. Slight fruitiness (apple, banana). Hints of wheat and yeast, as expected. Very inviting and appetizing.

Taste: Sweet maltiness and slight alcohol flavor. Finishes with an apple-like sweetness and tartness. Hints of toastiness and a very slight bitterness. As it sits, the roastiness comes out more with lots of banana-type flavor. I drank it at room temperature, it would probably tasted even better if it were a bit chilled.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, lighter bodied with a very natural feeling carbonation.

Drinkability: This is probably my favorite weißier and maybe the most "interesting" beer I have ever tasted. It has some very interesting and complex flavors, and I'm sure if mine were colder it would be extremely refreshing as other beers of the style are.

4.66/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance is an opaque rich brown with a very active head at first pour, let it settle and stirred up some of the yeast at the bottom of the bottle then finished the pour with a consistet 1/4" head at finish pour. Head went away after about a minute. Lace sticks around and slowly climbs down glass. Smells malty, chocolaty, sweet. Taste is thick, rich with malty goodness and very light hints of chocolate or toffee, banana is really coming thru more in taste than in smell. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, nice even taste with sweet aftertastes and undertones. I would definitely drink this again. Sits very well on an empty stomach. A very nice composition for a Weisse.

4.66/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this one a few times in the past, always by bottle. Last sampled tonight on 12/29/13. 550ml (16.9 oz) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a hazy dark brown, like ice tea that has a good finger+ white foamy head. Lots of lacing was seen right to the end with each sip. The aroma is of dark bread with a hint of cloves and banana. Very pleasant. The taste was even better with a hint of dark fruit as well. Very easy to drink with perfect carbonation. Goes down easy with no bitter or harsh aftertaste at all. This is a really great brew for the colder months and never have been disappointed.

4.65/5  rDev +22%

ruby pour, awesome head, hazy throughout.
smell- yes, definitely cloves, banana, spice.
taste- one of my all time favorites(for, like, 30 years) although after so many i have come to be quite sensitive to the richness of these weisse brews.
mouthfeel is carbonation, spice; full feeling inside....
overall, this is, like i said, one of my favorite beers for so many years, before i tried so many others from belgium and before Total Wine and BEVMO came to town. OLD WORLD was the greatest place in the world and the best place to drink them. this isthe last one of the case i bought a few months ago and i'm srprised to find i hadnt reviewed it yet. i rated it, but didnt review it. i still love this stuff...

4.65/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite commercial beer. I'm always surprised that more people don't love it. I even love that happy monk on the label. I probably don't drink this the way a beer snob would think is correct. I like this very cold.

4.61/5  rDev +21%

Pours to a deep brown color. Very nice aroma and has a smooth, yet full bodied taste. Excellent combination of malts and wheat. Slightly bitter, but no where near overbearing. A good hefe-weisse when you are looking for one with some extra maltyness and just a touch of extra hop flavor.
Thick and lasting head.
Served with lemon.

4.61/5  rDev +21%

I love this beer, smooth easy drinking. caramel and toffee ,sweet bananas, more than just a wheat beer, Dunkelweizen's are a awesome combo of hefe's and dunkel, a good year round beer

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the great pleasures in life is sitting on the patio at Minneapolis’s Black Forest Inn with a 22 oz. pour of Franzikaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel ($6.50). The glass fills with a hazy to cloudy brown liquid topped with a 1” light tan clingy crown exuding rich aromas of caramel, banana and dark bread. The rich creamy palate follows the aromas and anticipates a plate of geschnitzles.

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%

Very tasty, looks like dirty sewage though.

VERY pleasant smell, kind of a malty bakery in the morning smell. There is a bit of spice in it too allspice I think? That or cinnamon and orange peel.

Taste is quite pleasant and has that dunkel taste. Malty and some raisins and tart lemon if you hold it on your tongue and let it warm up. Malty yet manages not to be sweet.

Mouthfeel is very good, medium carbonation and a neutral dryness. Medium heaviness.

Drinkability is very good! I like the Erdinger version better, but this is certainly acceptable!

4.59/5  rDev +20.5%

At Croxley's Ale House in NYC. Into a weizen glass, it poured a chestnut brown with less than a finger of offwhite head, average retention, and average lacing. Little visible carbonation. Smelled of banana, clove, lemon/lime, brown sugar, and cocoa powder. The taste was a great blend of the aforementioned flavors, with some caramel also sneaking into the finish. A smooth, modestly carbonated medium bodied beer. Nicely drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

My first Dunkel-Weizen and a good one it was. This beer poured a dark brown color with a very nice head that lasted the whole glass. The smell was typical for a bavarian wheat beer but had a bit more malt presence. The flavor mirrored the smell, with the great bananna and sweet flavors of a traditional hefe but with a bit more malt presence. I can't say if I like this more or less than a traditional Hefe but I can say that it was a damn good beer!

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

It's weird but for me the regular Dunkel was always available to me but I only seen the Hefe-Dunkel twice and got them both times. Thankfully Giant Eagle now stocks this all the time!

A - Hazy brown with an inch of white fluffy head. Again Awesome in my Spaten Mug

S - Dark fruits, lemon, and banana peel, with slight bread. Smells like a great mix.

T - Just as the smell described and just as great tasting as I remembered. It's makes me wonder how bitter some would like their beer for this to seem to sweet. It seems like a perfect balance of sweet flavors of the raisin, lemon and bitter banana with the complexity of bitter bready malts that make it perfect. IMO.

M - Refreshing as always. Could easily finish a couple of 500ml in a sitting.

D - At 2.99 a big bottle at my local Giant E it's easily going to something I would pick up from time to time. Man I could drink it all the time.

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Mmmm, so amazing on tap. This came to me ina tall weizen glass all murkey and brown with a nice creamy head. The smell is awesome w/hints of banana, caramel, and wheat. Clove and banana simply dominate the flavor portion of the beer. Malty and earthy taste. The mouthfeel is very smooth, thick and creamy. Amazingly drinkable.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy brown with a huge off white head that fades very slowly and leaves huge walls of lace.

The aroma is of chocolate banana bread. Cloves and cinnamon subtly mix with banana esters and chocolate notes.

The taste follows with a malty caramel backbone, chocolate, bready notes, spices like clove and cinanmon, and nutmeg. Nice fresh baked banana bread flavors with cocoa added. Delicious.

Creamy, milky, grainy, and smooth finish.

Absolutely awesome!

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

Serving type: draft

Appearance: Pours a murky red/brown color with a big, foamy head that retains well through the whole glass

Smell: Banana & cloves.

Taste: Banana & cloves with malty sweetness coupled with wheat sweet tanginess evident and remains prominent through the finish. Carbonation brings forth a slight spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A really nice dunkel weizen, with plenty of banana and spice flavors; perhaps a bit too sweet, but spicy through and through

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours dark brown with fluffy thick head. There was a huge CO2 release when I opened the beer. Yeasty sweet banana clove scent. At first there is a roasted malt flavor followed by the banana clove spiciness. This particular batch was very carbonated and it was noticable with a tingle on the tongue. small bitterness in the aftertaste, but no apparent hop flavors. I'm not sure if this batch was overcarbonated but it I like how the carbonation tingle, which appeared spicy, segued with the clove spiciness. It was very unique. Very easy drinking. I would really enjoy on a hot summer day while grilling some brats.

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

This is a premium beer. Pours a dark tone with a thick and lasting (and lacing) head between white and tan. As poured, the smell is let off immediately, and in such a memmorable fashion. Strong wheat and yeast aromas in a somewhat skunky fashion, very appealing. The taste, quite similar to the regular Weissbier has perhaps more body and a bit stronger perception on the hops, which enhances this feel but slightly opaques some other flavours. The mouthfeel is, still, soft and comfortable but the beer may come a bit heavy (at least when drinking a few too many). An excellent beer from this brewery.

4.51/5  rDev +18.4%

A- pours your standard dirty brown color, but the off-white head has *amazing* retention. It sits up there creamy and fluffy, forever.

S- Nothing fancy here, bready and a hint of banana to go with the overall wheat influence.

T- Lots of good wheat taste in this combined with the darker malt flavors. Molasses seems to be in there. As for the spices, I don't pick up much clove, if any, but the banana comes through just enough.

M- Enough of an effervescence that a wheat based beer should have, but plenty smooth with the bready dark malts in there.

D- I have no worries that I couldn't sit here, or at a pub, or anywhere and just drink this beer without thinking about it. It just goes down so easily.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu