Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-13-2001)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel Alström Bros
trioxin

05-05-2012 01:20:10 | More by trioxin
tmars13

08-21-2012 03:27:15 | More by tmars13
scottum

Vermont

1.48/5  rDev -61.4%

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this didn't go down to well. Poured out brown with a nice head. Lots of sediment. Tastes of wheat, and sour fruit. I like Franziskaner's regular Hefe (was my first of the style,) but this one just doesn't hold up. Although it was cheap, it tasted cheap. No more will this enter my home!

02-10-2003 15:15:44 | More by scottum

Fossilhunter

03-12-2013 19:57:55 | More by Fossilhunter
LyonsHead

2.08/5  rDev -45.7%

A: murky orange/brown, the color of rust with a very creamy, off-white head.

S: There is a low malty flavor with some bready yeast character. Im getting a big whiff of clove and not a whole bunch else.

T/M: I normally don't combine my taste and mouthfeel reviews but in this case I find it a necessity. This beer, in my opinion, is way overcarbonated. As a result, Im finding it hard to taste much else. There is a sharp burn at the onset of the first sip and it simply increases intensity as you move the beer over your tongue. there is a hint of clove in the background, and a very subtly maltiness. It feels like there is potential there but the overall impression is just a watery taste.

D: Fighting the carbonation all night won't make for an easy drinker

03-07-2010 00:04:19 | More by LyonsHead
tesguino

Mexico

2.08/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

In appearance a little more dark than its sister Heffeweizen; i cinfirm its fruitty taste, smell like a malt liquor; mouthfeel and drinkability are low in the average, i try this beer with salad and cheese, not try with mexican or american food; i always serve on a glass mug; 45% recommended.

10-13-2005 16:42:42 | More by tesguino
ronzorelli

2.23/5  rDev -41.8%

Not a fan.

As I poured it into a chalice, I was impressed by the dark, almost quarupel look to it. Mahogany and rich. Gorgeous head on it.

As I put my nose to it, it didn't meet my nostrils in a pleasant way. Very metallic odor, and not in a good way (metallic never is "in a good way"...).

I sipped on it anyway, and it was very bland and watered down. This was nearly right out of the fridge, so I decided I'd let it warm up a little and see what happened.

After about another 10 minutes in the glass, I tried again. I was even more disappointed. Still watery, and it seemed a little extra foamy in my mouth. Weak, but foamy mouthfeel. Weird. In addition, the finish had a strange, almost "artificial sweetener" aftertaste to it. Very, VERY strange.

I'm not a fan of this brew.

I've had the Hefeweizen from Franziskaner before and was hoping this would at least match it, but I'm severely disappointed.

09-02-2012 02:39:45 | More by ronzorelli
washburnkid

2.23/5  rDev -41.8%

I loved Franziskaner HefeWeisse, so I thought I'd give this one a shot. I was greatly disappointed.

A: Big beige head over hazy brown. Held up to the light, the orange really comes out. A good amount of sediment. Average retention and no lacing to speak of.
S: Surprisingly dry and biscuity malt characteristic. Banana and clove are faint, as is the citrus.
T: Dry malt dominance. One other thing really coming out is the diacetyl butter notes, which is unfortunate. A little tangy. I'm getting barely any wheat and the malt characteristic is certainly not what I expected.
M: Light body, low carbonation bordering on flat.
D: This beer tastes like an old, infected brown ale. I'm really disappointed here, but will give it another shot and re-review in the event that I got a bad bottle.

01-31-2010 04:54:23 | More by washburnkid
Winter

Wisconsin

2.33/5  rDev -39.2%

Dark cloudy brown, with an off-white head. Banana and malt aroma. Watery mouthfeel, that teeters between smooth and crisp towards the finish. Taste consists mainly of malt, yeast and sour fruit. As beer warms flavor takes on an almost "pumpkin" taste to it. This one didn't appeal to me at all.

12-13-2002 20:53:12 | More by Winter
Admiraldinty

2.33/5  rDev -39.2%

I thought this stuff was God-awful. I could not even get through drinking what I had. Pours a cloudy brown with a decent foamy head. Could not detect very much from the nose. Some banana flavors, maybe some chocolate, and definite malt characteristics. Full-bodied mouthfeel. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but this stuff just did not go over well wiht me. Besides macro-swill, this may be one of the worst beers I've sampled.

02-11-2003 14:07:31 | More by Admiraldinty
bacabuck

2.33/5  rDev -39.2%

Poured a golden copper with even cloudiness throughout. Nice head that leaves no lacing behind on the glass. Has a terrific bready aroma.

Unfortunately, the beer is nearly flavorless. Really surprising. This beer is terrific on the nose, but falls surprisingly short on taste. A metallic, lemony acidic flavor falls quickly over the tongue. Mouthfeel is horrible. Has the carbonation of a soda.

I drank about a pint and tossed the rest.

12-31-2006 06:33:29 | More by bacabuck
PatronWizard

2.35/5  rDev -38.6%

**Please tolerate my 'Short Review Series' which come from sparsley populated notes.

Color looks like Mr. Hanky took a swim. Opaque, cloudy, guess it wasn't the color I was expecting. Nice head though. Aroma of very light clove and .... maybe not much more. Citrus? I don't think it's very flavorful either. Smooth at least.

Overall: not impressed

04-23-2009 22:23:21 | More by PatronWizard

Tennessee

12-11-2012 02:18:49 | More by Americanzero
Twerknasty

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very dark orange, short lasting head with not as much carbination as the regular Hefe. Nose contains hints of yeast, bananas, some spice, with some doctor band-aids, and one of those terrible candied white chocolate waffers all sitting on top of a slice of an old raunchy orange. What can I say, the nose ruined this half-house effort for a dark wheat. The palate gives a little bit more hope with a little bit more creamyness that can off-set the off nose, but the dunkel gnome malts never really find a finish and leave you wondering where did the little flavor dunkel gnomes roll out to at the finish? I can only imagine what kind of whip they are sitting on, but i guarantee it has to have like a trillion horse-power. Its not really that atrocious, but theres better!

04-23-2008 06:17:31 | More by Twerknasty
Joefisherman

07-12-2012 23:10:03 | More by Joefisherman
stckhndlr

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured out with alot of head. Golden color but the smell didn't impress me. smelled like a cross between band-aid material and hand soap with a hint of banana peel. Feels very watery on the palate with very malty wheat flavor. Probably the last time I will try this one.

01-22-2011 04:49:52 | More by stckhndlr
ItalianPisces84

Connecticut

01-09-2014 03:30:40 | More by ItalianPisces84
Fatehunter

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Into a weizen glass. Finger of head with a cloudy dark brown body.
Barnyard smell with a little ripe dark fruit. A bit muted though.
A little sweetness, mild bitterness and a chalkiness. Disappointing and weak taste. None of the style's characteristic richness.
Too fizzy, medium body.
Not impressed or interested by this.

11-10-2012 03:20:34 | More by Fatehunter
youngleo

2.6/5  rDev -32.1%

A- Poured to a good head that had some lacing, but not much. Head was off white in color. Beer was cloudy and murky at the same time. Also tannish brown in color.
S- Smelled of bananas and yeasted malt.
T- Tasted of bananas and yeasted malt. With a slightly bitter aftertaste. Also bananas as a aftertaste.
M- Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was about right. But a little bit on the watery side.
D- I wanted to try this Hefe Weisse and did. I wouldnt make a session out of this. I think the banana flavor was a bit too much for me.

03-17-2008 19:27:32 | More by youngleo
KodyBrannon

2.6/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured a dark color with a thick head that laced the glass well. The overall smell was kind of fruity with hint of nut. The taste of this beer was kind of standard, kind of bland in my opinion. I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. It was good, just nothing I would preferably drink. I personally was expecting more from this beer than what I got.

09-04-2007 13:18:50 | More by KodyBrannon
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

One of the better "Franzishizers," actually, I shouldn't call it a shizer, since its not shitty, but I digress.

Pours a nice dark, thin bubbled beer. Aroma, nothing apparent, but doesn't seem alcoholic like many of this breweries stuff.

Taste, here comes the strange nuances for this American boy's palate. Apple, banana, fig, raisin, all that kind of stuff I don't prefer to mix with my beer. If you're the standard guy who drinks hoppy ipas and fortified stouts, I don't think this complex batch is for you (or at least not me). But with that said, there is something respectable about the interplay between all these styles, and the malt bill here, that doesn't taste like the typical chocolate and coffee you might get for something this dark.

Can't give it good reviews on mouthfeel and drinkability. Its value to me is that of something different to sip, but I don't see myself going back to these.

01-15-2010 00:38:58 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Reidrover

Oregon

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pint bottle bought in Lincoln City Oregon. Nice enough looking beer, murky dark chesnut coloured with a frothy/chunky light tan head. The aroma was not as strong as I expected from a "real" German Dunkleweizen, all the regular components were there but very muted. fruity and peppery aromas. I was really quite dissapointed with the taste weak overall..yes all the usual "bananas and clove" was there but extremelly weakened. Palate was very thin and almost watery. Overall i felt let down by this one, below average for a German weiss beer

10-11-2005 17:59:20 | More by Reidrover