Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,577 | Reviews: 806
1.46/5  rDev -61.9%

Im sorry but this beer is not at all good to me. Thats just me, it may work for others. Was hoping it would be somewhat good since it was a Dunkel. Wont even review it, sorry. Had to fight just to finish half of the glass. I guess I just dont like German wheat beeer

1.47/5  rDev -61.6%

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this didn't go down to well. Poured out brown with a nice head. Lots of sediment. Tastes of wheat, and sour fruit. I like Franziskaner's regular Hefe (was my first of the style,) but this one just doesn't hold up. Although it was cheap, it tasted cheap. No more will this enter my home!

2.11/5  rDev -44.9%

A: murky orange/brown, the color of rust with a very creamy, off-white head.

S: There is a low malty flavor with some bready yeast character. Im getting a big whiff of clove and not a whole bunch else.

T/M: I normally don't combine my taste and mouthfeel reviews but in this case I find it a necessity. This beer, in my opinion, is way overcarbonated. As a result, Im finding it hard to taste much else. There is a sharp burn at the onset of the first sip and it simply increases intensity as you move the beer over your tongue. there is a hint of clove in the background, and a very subtly maltiness. It feels like there is potential there but the overall impression is just a watery taste.

D: Fighting the carbonation all night won't make for an easy drinker

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

In appearance a little more dark than its sister Heffeweizen; i cinfirm its fruitty taste, smell like a malt liquor; mouthfeel and drinkability are low in the average, i try this beer with salad and cheese, not try with mexican or american food; i always serve on a glass mug; 45% recommended.

2.26/5  rDev -41%

I loved Franziskaner HefeWeisse, so I thought I'd give this one a shot. I was greatly disappointed.

A: Big beige head over hazy brown. Held up to the light, the orange really comes out. A good amount of sediment. Average retention and no lacing to speak of.
S: Surprisingly dry and biscuity malt characteristic. Banana and clove are faint, as is the citrus.
T: Dry malt dominance. One other thing really coming out is the diacetyl butter notes, which is unfortunate. A little tangy. I'm getting barely any wheat and the malt characteristic is certainly not what I expected.
M: Light body, low carbonation bordering on flat.
D: This beer tastes like an old, infected brown ale. I'm really disappointed here, but will give it another shot and re-review in the event that I got a bad bottle.

2.29/5  rDev -40.2%

Not a fan.

As I poured it into a chalice, I was impressed by the dark, almost quarupel look to it. Mahogany and rich. Gorgeous head on it.

As I put my nose to it, it didn't meet my nostrils in a pleasant way. Very metallic odor, and not in a good way (metallic never is "in a good way"...).

I sipped on it anyway, and it was very bland and watered down. This was nearly right out of the fridge, so I decided I'd let it warm up a little and see what happened.

After about another 10 minutes in the glass, I tried again. I was even more disappointed. Still watery, and it seemed a little extra foamy in my mouth. Weak, but foamy mouthfeel. Weird. In addition, the finish had a strange, almost "artificial sweetener" aftertaste to it. Very, VERY strange.

I'm not a fan of this brew.

I've had the Hefeweizen from Franziskaner before and was hoping this would at least match it, but I'm severely disappointed.

2.37/5  rDev -38.1%

Dark cloudy brown, with an off-white head. Banana and malt aroma. Watery mouthfeel, that teeters between smooth and crisp towards the finish. Taste consists mainly of malt, yeast and sour fruit. As beer warms flavor takes on an almost "pumpkin" taste to it. This one didn't appeal to me at all.

2.37/5  rDev -38.1%

I thought this stuff was God-awful. I could not even get through drinking what I had. Pours a cloudy brown with a decent foamy head. Could not detect very much from the nose. Some banana flavors, maybe some chocolate, and definite malt characteristics. Full-bodied mouthfeel. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but this stuff just did not go over well wiht me. Besides macro-swill, this may be one of the worst beers I've sampled.

2.38/5  rDev -37.9%

**Please tolerate my 'Short Review Series' which come from sparsley populated notes.

Color looks like Mr. Hanky took a swim. Opaque, cloudy, guess it wasn't the color I was expecting. Nice head though. Aroma of very light clove and .... maybe not much more. Citrus? I don't think it's very flavorful either. Smooth at least.

Overall: not impressed

2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured a golden copper with even cloudiness throughout. Nice head that leaves no lacing behind on the glass. Has a terrific bready aroma.

Unfortunately, the beer is nearly flavorless. Really surprising. This beer is terrific on the nose, but falls surprisingly short on taste. A metallic, lemony acidic flavor falls quickly over the tongue. Mouthfeel is horrible. Has the carbonation of a soda.

I drank about a pint and tossed the rest.

2.46/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very dark orange, short lasting head with not as much carbination as the regular Hefe. Nose contains hints of yeast, bananas, some spice, with some doctor band-aids, and one of those terrible candied white chocolate waffers all sitting on top of a slice of an old raunchy orange. What can I say, the nose ruined this half-house effort for a dark wheat. The palate gives a little bit more hope with a little bit more creamyness that can off-set the off nose, but the dunkel gnome malts never really find a finish and leave you wondering where did the little flavor dunkel gnomes roll out to at the finish? I can only imagine what kind of whip they are sitting on, but i guarantee it has to have like a trillion horse-power. Its not really that atrocious, but theres better!

2.51/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured out with alot of head. Golden color but the smell didn't impress me. smelled like a cross between band-aid material and hand soap with a hint of banana peel. Feels very watery on the palate with very malty wheat flavor. Probably the last time I will try this one.

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Into a weizen glass. Finger of head with a cloudy dark brown body.
Barnyard smell with a little ripe dark fruit. A bit muted though.
A little sweetness, mild bitterness and a chalkiness. Disappointing and weak taste. None of the style's characteristic richness.
Too fizzy, medium body.
Not impressed or interested by this.

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

A- Poured to a good head that had some lacing, but not much. Head was off white in color. Beer was cloudy and murky at the same time. Also tannish brown in color.
S- Smelled of bananas and yeasted malt.
T- Tasted of bananas and yeasted malt. With a slightly bitter aftertaste. Also bananas as a aftertaste.
M- Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was about right. But a little bit on the watery side.
D- I wanted to try this Hefe Weisse and did. I wouldnt make a session out of this. I think the banana flavor was a bit too much for me.

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

One of the better "Franzishizers," actually, I shouldn't call it a shizer, since its not shitty, but I digress.

Pours a nice dark, thin bubbled beer. Aroma, nothing apparent, but doesn't seem alcoholic like many of this breweries stuff.

Taste, here comes the strange nuances for this American boy's palate. Apple, banana, fig, raisin, all that kind of stuff I don't prefer to mix with my beer. If you're the standard guy who drinks hoppy ipas and fortified stouts, I don't think this complex batch is for you (or at least not me). But with that said, there is something respectable about the interplay between all these styles, and the malt bill here, that doesn't taste like the typical chocolate and coffee you might get for something this dark.

Can't give it good reviews on mouthfeel and drinkability. Its value to me is that of something different to sip, but I don't see myself going back to these.

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

Color is a nutty dirty looking brown, off white ring around the cap.
Aroma is alot more muted compared to what i was expecting from a beer with weizen in the name. Not a strong yeasty note at all. there is some nutty earthy notes, and hint of spices.
The flavors pop a bit more, but follow the same notes of earthy nutty flavors. The clove flavors come out a bit but not like i envisioned. I am not finding intrest in much here.
Slightly creamy but thinner.

I'll skip this one in the future. to many outstanding ones from others.

2.67/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured a dark color with a thick head that laced the glass well. The overall smell was kind of fruity with hint of nut. The taste of this beer was kind of standard, kind of bland in my opinion. I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. It was good, just nothing I would preferably drink. I personally was expecting more from this beer than what I got.

2.68/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pint bottle bought in Lincoln City Oregon. Nice enough looking beer, murky dark chesnut coloured with a frothy/chunky light tan head. The aroma was not as strong as I expected from a "real" German Dunkleweizen, all the regular components were there but very muted. fruity and peppery aromas. I was really quite dissapointed with the taste weak overall..yes all the usual "bananas and clove" was there but extremelly weakened. Palate was very thin and almost watery. Overall i felt let down by this one, below average for a German weiss beer

2.69/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was surprised that I did not enjoy this beer as much as I thought I would. I loved Weihenstephaner Hefe Weiss, and wanted to try their Dunkel. The Craft Neer store did not have that, but this was recommended to me instead. I love German wheats, and I enjoy dark brews, but I am not A fan of the Franziskaner Weissbier Dunkel. It has an unpleasant metallic taste that pops up in the middle of the swallow, thank God it has a pleasant aftertaste that eclipses the metal. I will stil try the Weihenstaphaner Hefe Weissbier Dunkel, but I will not be buying the Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier Dunkel again.

2.71/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass:

A: A dark brown, reddish color, which is very attractive overall. A decent two-finger head bubbles forth, and subsides after a couple minutes. No lacing to speak of.

S: Smells like your typical Belgian weissbier. Peppery, vinegar-like aromas pervade. Earthy malt notes. Not a smell I care for all that much.

T: Tart, sweet, earthy. Boozy. I'm not the biggest fan of this Belgian flavor, but it isn't enough to keep me from drinking it.

M: Light carbonation and light body. Crisp, refreshing, drinkable, and enjoyable on the palate overall.

O: This was an alright beer, but not anything I'd look for in the future.

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

Hazy, hazy light brown, big and pillowy head. Yeasty and citric aroma. Early orangey flavors, a little ester that strays toward nutmeg. Some sense of hazel nut. Cottony and very mild, mouthfeel is light and fades fast. Definite orange-rind aftertaste. Minimalist brew, doesn't strike me at all.

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured a murky light orange color with a two finger tan head.

Smells of cloves, spices, semi-sweet citrusy

As it warms the banana flavor comes out, cloves, yeast

Very light bodied, a little watery, smooth

Very low ABV but to watery for me makes this not to drinkable

2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

Dunkel is one of my favorite styles in all the land. This one leaves me feeling like I need to search elsewhere. Now that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. It does, however, mean that it's not the best of the style I've had during my travels. Appearance is such a bogus category of the overall review, since it speaks to essentially nothing. I suppose one could argue certain styles should have certain physical characteristics, but appearance in and of itself is meaningless to the taste which is all that matters. That being said, copper brown is what is obviously observed with this beer. There is a slight head, but no lace to speak of and the head itself simply floats on the surface in a thin line. The aroma is very discreet...not much to talk about here for a dunkel, which should blast out malty something or other. Tough to figure this one out. There is an aroma but it is tinny which is a very deragotary description, but it is what it is. The taste is slightly malty...a very clean flavor but so limited in the mouthfeel. I expect a dunkel to be bursting with maltiness and hearty on the toungue, but that ain't happening with this one, much to my chagrin. I'll give this an average drinkability rating at best, but boy, what an average to sub-average beer altogether. I hate to write that about any beer, but it is what it is. A wholly unremarkable dunkel. I expected so much more.

2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from bottle chilled slightly below room temp into a Franziskaner tall glass.

Generates a pale brown head that stands at approx. 3 fingers however no where near explosive as others in its class which hints to a low carbonation.

Color is creamy translucent coffee brown.

Smell is very thin and only minor amounts of yeast wafts to the nose along with the almost obligatory banana and clove-ish aroma one associates not just with Hefe-Weiss but that unique Franziskaner tone.

The taste and the mouthfeel only add to the anaemic nose. Mild dried yeast and malts over power the fruit element of which banana is the strongest. The low carbonation suggested at pouring is not as bad on the mouth yet the level of carbonation is medium at best. The mouth does experience quick burst of smooth malt however it quickly runs off.

Not as bad as these tasting notes make it sound, however if I was to recommend a sample of the style - this wouldn't be it.

2.86/5  rDev -25.3%

500ml brown bottle without freshness dating.

Pours a very cloudy dull light brown with enormous off-white head. The head takes quite a while to recede to a thick blanket of film. Smells a bit bland; metallic hops and hard water over slightly sweet malts. Flavor is thin and dull; carbonated water, tinny hops, and a touch of malt that flashes by leaving no finish. Weak and uninspiring body, enlivened slightly by a trace of wheat creaminess. Not a particularly good dunkel weizen.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu