Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel Alström Bros
Reviews: 804 | Hads: 1,599
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

At the bar that I run Franziskaner Dunkel is a staple on our wall. When ever I want a good beer this one never fails. It's dark in color and the smell is only average. The taste is refreshing and easy to drink. It's a little sweet with a light bite. I highly recommend this beer when you run across it. (302 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer poured amber with a HUGE tan colored head,this really is a fine looking brew. Has a very crisp smell with a hint of banana.
For once I actually taste banana in a beer ! mostly I read that some beers have a banana taste but have never actual tasted it myself but the banana is prevalent in this beer like a good piece of holiday banana bread....with a bit of citrus.
This was a very good beer and I see myself buying it on a regular basis.
Paid 2.99 for a bottle (474 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Murky, earthy, yeasty, banana, clove, citrus, heady, etc., etc. Though I absolutely was not offset by anything in the beer, I also didn't gravitate towards anything it had to offer. Overall a good solid beer, but nothing remarkably unique to make it memorable.

It seems odd that I shouldn't rave about a beer for which I can offer no legitimate complaints... (363 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Pours a medium brown, with red tones and a thick half-inch of foam. Mild carbonation.

S - Orange, lemon, roasted wheat, even light coffee notes.

T - Bitter orange flower notes, sweet grain, toasted malt, coriander and cinnamon or alspice.

M - Smooth, almost creamy, just a light carbonated burst.

D - Goes down easy without being bland and boring. Great balance of hops and malt. (395 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

appearance - Murky brown with a big, smooth, frothy head. Light carbonation follows and head lingers for a few minutes and no prominent lacing.

smell - Malt goodness with banana, wheat and clove - hint of yeast that quickly fades.

taste & mouthfeel - Smooth wheat malt and a prominent banana flavor, but doesn't taste mlike you are eating a banana bread. Watered down, ripe bananas spread onto wheat toast. Left the mouth dry with no lingering flavors.

overall - A decent dunkel without much punch.

Poured from the bottle to a weizen glass. (545 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured a golden copper with even cloudiness throughout. Nice head that leaves no lacing behind on the glass. Has a terrific bready aroma.

Unfortunately, the beer is nearly flavorless. Really surprising. This beer is terrific on the nose, but falls surprisingly short on taste. A metallic, lemony acidic flavor falls quickly over the tongue. Mouthfeel is horrible. Has the carbonation of a soda.

I drank about a pint and tossed the rest. (443 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a dark root-beer brown. Average head, but lots of lacing. Smells of yeast, but not that strongly. Flavor actually isn't that impressive; a friend of mine took a sip and says I may have gotten a bad bottle. Still not a bad taste - slightly sweet and malty, but just not that much to work with. Good mouthfeel and very drinkable, but still disappointing for a Franziskaner. I had high expectations. (402 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured a nice caramel color with a cream colored head. At first it looked similar to Spaten Optimator, however the aroma gave it away. It had a much bitter aroma than the Optimator. The taste had hints of a dark chocolate coffee, and very low sweet note.

This is a beer that I would drinking during the fall, and something I would enjoy with a nice cigar. Possibly a beer to recommend to someone who is exploring dark beers. (426 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer brings me to the rare occasion where it smells better than it tastes. The smell had me anxious to take the first sip, but I was slightly disappointed by the taste. The smell makes me anticipate a great Belgian beer, but the taste is lacking the kick I was hoping for. It is an average beer that does not meet expectations. (332 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours brown with a thin white head. Head dissipated to a ring around the edges and left just a little lacing.

Smells much like a normal hefe, but the banana is subdued and a little more clove/spice. Also some sweet candy-like aroma can be detected.

Taste is more banana up-front than the nose indicated. The clove/spice shows up more in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. Very refreshing.

Overall a good session brew for a warmer spring day. (472 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Nice coppery caramel brown with a nice thick foamy head. Manly looking. Lace ok but head dissipates quickly.

Smell- Banana esters and malty goodness. Some spices in there but not overpowering

Taste- Nice weissbier wheatiness with some banana smoothness and some spicy something or other. Good almost great but not out of this world.

Overall- Very solid Dunkel Hefe. (383 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

AP: much darker than the typical Hefe-Weisse as expected. About the color of mixed ice tea with a light creamy head.

AR: sweet, caramel-y notes.

M: light and smooth with some effervescence.

T: caramel malt sweetness very obvious.

I was actually slightly disappointed given how much I like the Franziskaner Weissbier. (321 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Almost dark enough to not recognize the wheat texture. Just a hint of gold at the bottom of weizen glass. Very unique aroma, as the helles version of this beer is unique other Hefe-Weizens. The darker malts play well with wheat.

Most dunkelweizen are covering up a sour aspect of that breweries hefe. Franziskaners hefe is very clean to beging with. And the unique aromas are ever present.

One of the best of style that nobody seems to love. (445 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - dark brown and hazy with a reasonable head which stayed around and left some lacing. S - slightly spicy scent of cloves and fruity esters. T - maltiness and fruitiness dominate but overall they balance out a bit and there's no overriding strong flavour. Some might see it is a bit weak or bland but I think it makes it pretty sessionable. M - soft carbonation makes it pretty smooth. O - I probably expected more flavour from this but it ended up making it highly drinkable whereas with many hefe and wheat beers I wouldn't drink more than one. A good beer and happy to drink again. (586 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%

I poured this beer into a pilsner glass. It came out a dark mud-like brown color with a creamy long lasting head. I tasted caramel and fruit. I also tasted bananas.
It has an earthy spicy taste to it. It is carbonated pretty well, right for the taste.
The mouthfeel is nice, not heavy. Can't really taste the alcohol but its there. nice beer overall, reasonably priced, I would definitely buy more. (404 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A. Poured into my Haufbrau .5L hefe glass. Massive creamy head. My most careful pour was rendered useless to this thick head of bubbles. Classic cloudy golden honey hefe color. Brings me back to my days living in Deutschland. Nice yeast sediment on the bottom to top off the beer.

S. Huge yeast up front with some nice citrus, banana, clove, spice and all sorts of other good stuff. Second go around I get more unpeeled bananas... love it. I could just smell this one all day. What a treat.

T. Oh yeah, that's the stuff. One of my all time favorite beer styles in the summer. When I close my eyes I'm on a boat cruise on the Rhine River, it's that pleasant. A lot of what is in the nose comes back into the taste in many ways. I love this creamy head. I could eat it up like with a cappuccino.

M. Nice carbonation and prickles to the mouth. Very satisfying all around and not a whole lot else to say.

D. Very drinkable. I could put this one away by the case. Not too heavy just ultra smooth and creamy. What more could you ask from when drinking a German hefeweizen. (1,070 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Unseasonably warm weather has given me reason to dip into my Dunkel Weizen reserves. Franziskaner is the brand of choice today.

Nice dark amber color, but not as turbid as I would have expected. Despite a careful pour, I was unable to get any appreciable sediment out of the bottle. Large, resilient head. Smell a bit heavy towards banana, not much wheat. Outstanding taste with great balance of banana, clove, and malt. Lots of carbonation in this one... refreshing and not too syrupy at all. Starts with a little tart, ends nice and crisp. As MASH's Colonel Potter once said, "There aren't enough O's in 'smoooth' to describe that."

This was even better than I remembered it. Perhaps the lack of sediment actually helped? Regardless, a very drinkable and highly enjoyable beer. (785 characters)

Poured into a pint glass, a cloudy brown-orange with a big clumpy 3 finger head that reduces to 1/4 inch after about a minute. Minimal lacing. A nutty smell of almonds, cloves, and wheat. Medium to light bready taste with a subtle bite of cinnamon. Faint cider similarities. A pleasantly light carbonation to the tongue followed by a smooth swallow. A year-round session brew for all occasions. Though not as good as the regular hefe-weisse, I still like it very much. The Spaten brewery can do no wrong. (504 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy oak brown with a fairly retentive and aromatic head. A mix of subtle, but complex citrus, spice, and grassy aromas bounce of the carbonation. Taste is of wheat, caramel, and wonderful dunkel flavor, with medium to full body, and a highly carbonated smooth, crisp aftertaste. Nearly perfectly balanced, a brew worthy of Bavarian Kings. If I could live off of nothing but beer, I think I could do it with this one. It's not the most extravagant, but refined, and true to the style. (494 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Pours a dark brown without any real light coming through. Huge head. Head stuck around for a nice long time.

S: If you've ever had banana-nut bread, you know just the smell this beer has. Some hints of caramel malt, but mostly banana, nuts and bread.

T: Taste is a lot like the nose. Bready with hints of nut, clove and banana. Alcohol flavors come through a bit stronger as the brew warms.

M: Medium, chewy body. Crisp with a lot of carbonation.

D: A pretty decent example of a Dunkel Weisse. Nicely complex, and something I will probably get again. (565 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours into my imperial pint with a nice foamy two finger head that dissapates to a nice covering froth with some sudsy lacing. Cloudy with the sediment from the bottom.

Smells like green bananas with sour notes. Taste is of bananas with a slight bitterness on the end. Very smooth and nutty.

Medium bodied with little carbonation this beer is very smooth and enjoyable. (373 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured out of a 500ml body into a weizen glass.

A: Huge, frothy off-white, tanish head, maybe three-fingers deep with a good deal of lacing. Stuck around for awhile although it slimmed down to a finger's thickness. Deep mahogany brown and cloudy, but with a bit of carbonated bubbling evident. Really cool looking overall and definitely a dunkel weizen.

S: Banana! I love dunkelweizen's for the banana and clove smell and I get that here for sure. Sweet and malty, with a good amount of yeastiness. Maybe a bit of breadiness and a hints of hops.

T: Man I love beer. I probably seem overly enthusiastic here, but I like weizens, I like dunkels, and this does not disappoint. Again, banana and clove, with a creamy wheatiness (from the full head, for sure). I'd say there's some sour apple-like taste in there as well, but with some nice rich malts and almost no bitterness from the hops. Quite enjoyable.

M: Medium-bodied and creamy, with a pretty smooth feel although like most weizens there's a good amount of carbonation that's pretty well balanaced I think. Definitely a pleasant feeling.

D: Oh-so-drinkable. I was just looking at some other reviews and noticed some negative comments that I just feel didn't apply to mine, BUT, my local haunt just yesterday had this come in, so I know mine's very fresh, and perhaps that's why others have spoken ill of this beer. I for one thoroughly enjoyed it, despite never having had it before, and think it's pretty damn drinkable. The body's not too heavy, but it's certain fuller than your average lagers, so I can't say this is the kind of beer you'd want to throw back a six-pack of, but it's too good to turn down without a good excuse. (1,701 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Half liter bottle poured into a German wheat glass. A relatively hard pour gives a 1.5 inch light tan head that dissipates into a 1/4 inch head that stays. Beer is a hazy orange brown.

German hefe yeast gives off a lot of pleasant banana smells. There is also some wheat smell. My nose isn't working up to par tonight, so smells aren't as strong.

Banana bread is the strongest flavor. I also get some dark fruitiness from the malts. Wheat backbone. Very sweet, but in a good way.

Carbonation feels good, but not too much. Body is not very heavy, making it very easy to drink.

A good traditional representation of a style that I don't get very often. I wish that I could compare this back-to-back to other beers of the same style. (733 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very dark orange, short lasting head with not as much carbination as the regular Hefe. Nose contains hints of yeast, bananas, some spice, with some doctor band-aids, and one of those terrible candied white chocolate waffers all sitting on top of a slice of an old raunchy orange. What can I say, the nose ruined this half-house effort for a dark wheat. The palate gives a little bit more hope with a little bit more creamyness that can off-set the off nose, but the dunkel gnome malts never really find a finish and leave you wondering where did the little flavor dunkel gnomes roll out to at the finish? I can only imagine what kind of whip they are sitting on, but i guarantee it has to have like a trillion horse-power. Its not really that atrocious, but theres better! (780 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

pours a hazy medium brown with a thick frothy soda-type head. smells somewhat like a yeasty caramel sticky bun, a little nutty and spicy as well.
taste is more subtle than the aroma. banana nut bread, a little malt in the back. very dry and clean finish.
very fizzy and refreshing to drink. decent flavor and lowish ABV make this a great session beer if you find it on sale. (374 characters)

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu