Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse DunkelFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Dunkelweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel Alström Bros
Reviews: 808 | Hads: 1,616
3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

A: A toasted brown/caramel with lots of haze. A very gentle pour into my Weihenstephan glass produces two inches of toasted coarse foamy head that fades to a 1/2 inch hilly layer. Nice unique look.

S: Hmmm..not much here. Mellow, straightforward, creamy wheat with whispers of earthy spices...probably cloves and something else. Subtly nice.

T: An anemic wheat with dark malt...a little banana with maybe a smidge of sneaky pear..interesting...mellow earthy, balanced spice comes in at the very end...you have to look for it. Slightly watery at the end. If your looking for a very calm mellow dunkle weisse this is it. The shyness gives the illusion of impeccable balance. And it is very well balanced.

M: A light/medium mouthfeel that goes wet at the end. CO2 is accurate.

D: A lighter beer that makes it more drinkable than most.

A lot of people don't seem to like the fact that this beer doesn't jump out and grab your throat. I actually kind of like that about it. Of course its probably because they are cheaper bastards but oh well...it makes for something a little different. I would drink it again.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a tall hefe glass.

A--Very opaque brown like a crayola crayon brown. Super foggy towards the edges of the glass to a solid appearance in the center. Very earthy look. Will certainly draw some looks at the bar if there are some less experienced drinkers around.

S--Way sweet. More clove and less bananna than the standard Franziskaner hefe. I could also get some carmel and earthy wheaty notes. In one word--SWEET.

T--For as monotomous as the smell was I actually found this to be a rather complex hefe. Obviously a sweet wheaty taste as the smell suggests and the standard clove taste. What I liked most was what I can only describe as an organic sugar--unrefined and a little bitter.

M--Kinda thick with low carbonation, but I liked the creamy feel in my mouth. Doesnt finish too quickly and not very clean either. I dont know why but I really liked this beers feel.

D--1 of these bigger bottle or a tumbler at the pub is more than enough. This is a dessert beer for me, but I've done it and have seen others go all night on this stuff.

O--Give it a shot if youre a hefe fan and want something kinda sweet.

4.66/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance is an opaque rich brown with a very active head at first pour, let it settle and stirred up some of the yeast at the bottom of the bottle then finished the pour with a consistet 1/4" head at finish pour. Head went away after about a minute. Lace sticks around and slowly climbs down glass. Smells malty, chocolaty, sweet. Taste is thick, rich with malty goodness and very light hints of chocolate or toffee, banana is really coming thru more in taste than in smell. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, nice even taste with sweet aftertastes and undertones. I would definitely drink this again. Sits very well on an empty stomach. A very nice composition for a Weisse.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured a cloudy deep mahogany brown into a weiss glass, with a small tan head. The smell was of sweet malts, bubble gum, and clove. The taste was excellent on this one: Banana bread, clove, bubblegum, dried orange peel, and some floral hops. This is a very good beer, that I would recommend to anyone. It is very easy to drink and would not offend immature palates.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

At the bar that I run Franziskaner Dunkel is a staple on our wall. When ever I want a good beer this one never fails. It's dark in color and the smell is only average. The taste is refreshing and easy to drink. It's a little sweet with a light bite. I highly recommend this beer when you run across it.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer poured amber with a HUGE tan colored head,this really is a fine looking brew. Has a very crisp smell with a hint of banana.
For once I actually taste banana in a beer ! mostly I read that some beers have a banana taste but have never actual tasted it myself but the banana is prevalent in this beer like a good piece of holiday banana bread....with a bit of citrus.
This was a very good beer and I see myself buying it on a regular basis.
Paid 2.99 for a bottle

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Murky, earthy, yeasty, banana, clove, citrus, heady, etc., etc. Though I absolutely was not offset by anything in the beer, I also didn't gravitate towards anything it had to offer. Overall a good solid beer, but nothing remarkably unique to make it memorable.

It seems odd that I shouldn't rave about a beer for which I can offer no legitimate complaints...

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Pours a medium brown, with red tones and a thick half-inch of foam. Mild carbonation.

S - Orange, lemon, roasted wheat, even light coffee notes.

T - Bitter orange flower notes, sweet grain, toasted malt, coriander and cinnamon or alspice.

M - Smooth, almost creamy, just a light carbonated burst.

D - Goes down easy without being bland and boring. Great balance of hops and malt.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

appearance - Murky brown with a big, smooth, frothy head. Light carbonation follows and head lingers for a few minutes and no prominent lacing.

smell - Malt goodness with banana, wheat and clove - hint of yeast that quickly fades.

taste & mouthfeel - Smooth wheat malt and a prominent banana flavor, but doesn't taste mlike you are eating a banana bread. Watered down, ripe bananas spread onto wheat toast. Left the mouth dry with no lingering flavors.

overall - A decent dunkel without much punch.

Poured from the bottle to a weizen glass.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

L: Pours hazy brown, coffee-like color. Thick head 2.5 fingers tall.
S: Banana mostly.
T: Banana, roasted malts. Hops are hard to find.
F: Medium-bodied, crispy.
O: Common dark beer with hint of banana.

2.4/5  rDev -37%

Poured a golden copper with even cloudiness throughout. Nice head that leaves no lacing behind on the glass. Has a terrific bready aroma.

Unfortunately, the beer is nearly flavorless. Really surprising. This beer is terrific on the nose, but falls surprisingly short on taste. A metallic, lemony acidic flavor falls quickly over the tongue. Mouthfeel is horrible. Has the carbonation of a soda.

I drank about a pint and tossed the rest.

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a dark root-beer brown. Average head, but lots of lacing. Smells of yeast, but not that strongly. Flavor actually isn't that impressive; a friend of mine took a sip and says I may have gotten a bad bottle. Still not a bad taste - slightly sweet and malty, but just not that much to work with. Good mouthfeel and very drinkable, but still disappointing for a Franziskaner. I had high expectations.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured a nice caramel color with a cream colored head. At first it looked similar to Spaten Optimator, however the aroma gave it away. It had a much bitter aroma than the Optimator. The taste had hints of a dark chocolate coffee, and very low sweet note.

This is a beer that I would drinking during the fall, and something I would enjoy with a nice cigar. Possibly a beer to recommend to someone who is exploring dark beers.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A. Poured into my Haufbrau .5L hefe glass. Massive creamy head. My most careful pour was rendered useless to this thick head of bubbles. Classic cloudy golden honey hefe color. Brings me back to my days living in Deutschland. Nice yeast sediment on the bottom to top off the beer.

S. Huge yeast up front with some nice citrus, banana, clove, spice and all sorts of other good stuff. Second go around I get more unpeeled bananas... love it. I could just smell this one all day. What a treat.

T. Oh yeah, that's the stuff. One of my all time favorite beer styles in the summer. When I close my eyes I'm on a boat cruise on the Rhine River, it's that pleasant. A lot of what is in the nose comes back into the taste in many ways. I love this creamy head. I could eat it up like with a cappuccino.

M. Nice carbonation and prickles to the mouth. Very satisfying all around and not a whole lot else to say.

D. Very drinkable. I could put this one away by the case. Not too heavy just ultra smooth and creamy. What more could you ask from when drinking a German hefeweizen.

3.32/5  rDev -12.9%

This beer brings me to the rare occasion where it smells better than it tastes. The smell had me anxious to take the first sip, but I was slightly disappointed by the taste. The smell makes me anticipate a great Belgian beer, but the taste is lacking the kick I was hoping for. It is an average beer that does not meet expectations.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours brown with a thin white head. Head dissipated to a ring around the edges and left just a little lacing.

Smells much like a normal hefe, but the banana is subdued and a little more clove/spice. Also some sweet candy-like aroma can be detected.

Taste is more banana up-front than the nose indicated. The clove/spice shows up more in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. Very refreshing.

Overall a good session brew for a warmer spring day.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Nice coppery caramel brown with a nice thick foamy head. Manly looking. Lace ok but head dissipates quickly.

Smell- Banana esters and malty goodness. Some spices in there but not overpowering

Taste- Nice weissbier wheatiness with some banana smoothness and some spicy something or other. Good almost great but not out of this world.

Overall- Very solid Dunkel Hefe.

3.29/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

AP: much darker than the typical Hefe-Weisse as expected. About the color of mixed ice tea with a light creamy head.

AR: sweet, caramel-y notes.

M: light and smooth with some effervescence.

T: caramel malt sweetness very obvious.

I was actually slightly disappointed given how much I like the Franziskaner Weissbier.

4.11/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - dark brown and hazy with a reasonable head which stayed around and left some lacing. S - slightly spicy scent of cloves and fruity esters. T - maltiness and fruitiness dominate but overall they balance out a bit and there's no overriding strong flavour. Some might see it is a bit weak or bland but I think it makes it pretty sessionable. M - soft carbonation makes it pretty smooth. O - I probably expected more flavour from this but it ended up making it highly drinkable whereas with many hefe and wheat beers I wouldn't drink more than one. A good beer and happy to drink again.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Almost dark enough to not recognize the wheat texture. Just a hint of gold at the bottom of weizen glass. Very unique aroma, as the helles version of this beer is unique other Hefe-Weizens. The darker malts play well with wheat.

Most dunkelweizen are covering up a sour aspect of that breweries hefe. Franziskaners hefe is very clean to beging with. And the unique aromas are ever present.

One of the best of style that nobody seems to love.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Half liter bottle poured into a German wheat glass. A relatively hard pour gives a 1.5 inch light tan head that dissipates into a 1/4 inch head that stays. Beer is a hazy orange brown.

German hefe yeast gives off a lot of pleasant banana smells. There is also some wheat smell. My nose isn't working up to par tonight, so smells aren't as strong.

Banana bread is the strongest flavor. I also get some dark fruitiness from the malts. Wheat backbone. Very sweet, but in a good way.

Carbonation feels good, but not too much. Body is not very heavy, making it very easy to drink.

A good traditional representation of a style that I don't get very often. I wish that I could compare this back-to-back to other beers of the same style.

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

I poured this beer into a pilsner glass. It came out a dark mud-like brown color with a creamy long lasting head. I tasted caramel and fruit. I also tasted bananas.
It has an earthy spicy taste to it. It is carbonated pretty well, right for the taste.
The mouthfeel is nice, not heavy. Can't really taste the alcohol but its there. nice beer overall, reasonably priced, I would definitely buy more.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Unseasonably warm weather has given me reason to dip into my Dunkel Weizen reserves. Franziskaner is the brand of choice today.

Nice dark amber color, but not as turbid as I would have expected. Despite a careful pour, I was unable to get any appreciable sediment out of the bottle. Large, resilient head. Smell a bit heavy towards banana, not much wheat. Outstanding taste with great balance of banana, clove, and malt. Lots of carbonation in this one... refreshing and not too syrupy at all. Starts with a little tart, ends nice and crisp. As MASH's Colonel Potter once said, "There aren't enough O's in 'smoooth' to describe that."

This was even better than I remembered it. Perhaps the lack of sediment actually helped? Regardless, a very drinkable and highly enjoyable beer.

Poured into a pint glass, a cloudy brown-orange with a big clumpy 3 finger head that reduces to 1/4 inch after about a minute. Minimal lacing. A nutty smell of almonds, cloves, and wheat. Medium to light bready taste with a subtle bite of cinnamon. Faint cider similarities. A pleasantly light carbonation to the tongue followed by a smooth swallow. A year-round session brew for all occasions. Though not as good as the regular hefe-weisse, I still like it very much. The Spaten brewery can do no wrong.

4.44/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy oak brown with a fairly retentive and aromatic head. A mix of subtle, but complex citrus, spice, and grassy aromas bounce of the carbonation. Taste is of wheat, caramel, and wonderful dunkel flavor, with medium to full body, and a highly carbonated smooth, crisp aftertaste. Nearly perfectly balanced, a brew worthy of Bavarian Kings. If I could live off of nothing but beer, I think I could do it with this one. It's not the most extravagant, but refined, and true to the style.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu