Spaten Optimator - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999

to view more.
Ratings: 2,787 | Reviews: 1,306
3.65/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great German Brew! Good standby

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown. I like the flat coke analogy. Head dissipates. Light lacing. Tastes of sweet delicious malty goodness with a hint of brown sugar and caramel. Incredibly smooth and very drinkable. Thankful I decided to pick up this as a throw in on a pick your own sixer so that I could celebrate the week's end today. Takes me back to Germany.

4.76/5  rDev +22.4%

I love caramel-smooth bocks and this is a good one - and one of the more widely available ones in my area.

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Looks like flat Coke after the thin but aromatic head dissipates. The malts are pronounced from start to finish. Not as good as the Heffe, but a quality brew nonetheless.

One of the best doppelbocks in the world. Molasses and nice dark bread define this beer. A beautiful fruity finish. One of the best lagers in the world and also the best beers in this world.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

This has been my #2 mainstay of late. Overall, really like the flavor, which has a nice sweetness buried in the background. As a stout/porter fan, it's a nice deviation, without totally straying from the things I enjoy about that style. As others have stated, I find it does hit me a little hard as well, particular when consumed without food. I do very occasionally get a little bit of a metallic note in the mix --that's a little off-putting--but otherwise like the flavor. I also find that I prefer it throughly chilled and don't let it sit before drinking.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Lots of nostalgia with this brew.. along with Delirium Tremens, this was my go-to beer at the local world-of-beer when I turned 21 back in 2011. Purchased the single bottle at Total Wine just for this review. Pours a cola brown, lots of bubbles, quickly fading head. Not as hoppy as I remember from draft.. notes of brown sugar malts, sweet potato in the nose. Taste: what a malt bomb; not what I remember at all (though, in my defense, I was probably quite inebriated and with this beer's well-masked abv, it's no wonder I loved it), the malts just over-power any inkling of alcohol, roasted caramel at the finish. Smooth, crisp, goes down real smooth. I remember when 7.6% abv was considered one of the manly beers, which is no doubt, the real reason why I drank it. Anywho, even though I love my IIPAs these days, Spaten and their Optimator will always have it's place. 8/10

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite Doppelbocks from my time spent in Bavaria. Poured into a glass the first thing noticeable is the strong brown color with hints of Amber followed by a nice fruity aroma and nice brown head with lite lacing. Optimator is a very malty Doppelbock with great caramel and fruity flavors. It drinks easy and goes great with meals or by itself. It drinks so easy that the 7.60% ABV will sneak up on you before you know it.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Love my doppelbocks. Spaten is one of my favorite German beers and always great taste and consistent quality.

4.39/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hit me surprisingly hard for only being 7.6% abv, but then again I could have just downed it too quickly. If I downed it too quickly it's because it was surprisingly easy to drink.

2.97/5  rDev -23.7%

Optimator pours a dark brown color with a small lacing head. There is a sourish, grainish aroma. The taste has a sharp malt bite to it, grianish. A bit hard to drink. Overall its the worst, its a tad hard to drink, grainy.

4.77/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. My favorite doppelbock.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an over sized wine glass Optimator is a delicious malty Doppel Bock with Caramel and toasted malt notes. Definitely a cooler weather brew. Not as good as Paulaner Salvator Double Bock though!
Still can't go wrong with Optimator!
Why don't any American or Californian's brew a Bock or Doppel Bock ? All the so called "Micro Breweries" think the more Hops the better. Adding more Horsepower to a car doesn't necessarily make it better unless you add bigger brakes, suspension etc...
I don't drink those "New Jack" beers that taste like my Dad made it at home. Unless I'm drinking his.

2.82/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had this in a bottle at Watkins Drinkery in Philly and was seriously disappointed.

4.73/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent beer. Not quite as good as Ayinger Celebrator, but very,very good.

4.82/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Can't say enough about this beer. Truly, truly excellent all the way

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into New Glarus Pilsener. Pours a dark brown color with a big foamy, very light brown head. Recedes quickly. Leaves a small ring of lacing around the edges.

Aroma is of dark fruits and lightly roasted malts. Molasses. A good deal of sweetness.

Taste is roasted chocolate malts, a bit of molasses, and dark fruits led by fig and dark cherry. Light hops. A small amount of bitterness on the finish. THe chocolate is very smooth a silky, a very pleasant touch on the tongue with results in some excellent drinkability.

Medium bodied. Low carbonation. Goes down very smooth. Drank this one in about 15 minutes, and normally I take 30+.

Overall, and excellent example of a doppelbock. Distinct flavors and easy drinking make this an ideal introductory doppelbock

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle drank as part of a BJCP tasting group (Category 5: Bock) on 01/14/2015, poured into a snifter glass and drank over 15-30 minutes

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

First time at Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe!

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle of optimator bock drank.

4.77/5  rDev +22.6%

Love this beer. It sets the standards for everything I personally love about beers. Truly a great beer IMO.

4.39/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

A: Clear dark brown, almost black. Small lacing of tan head.
S: Strong smell of caramel malt, sweetness, toffee, cereal grains, and a plum/prune scent.
T: Sweet, yet strong malts akin to a porter show up first, followed by a bran cereal taste. Minimal hop taste. Not as much fruit in the taste. Finishes with an alcoholic bite at the end.
M: Medium to heavy. Malts coat your tongue at the end.
O: Not a bad doppelbock. Will have to try more to compare.

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%

Nice and dark with a little bite.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Comparing this to Paulaners version I find this one harder to drink & not as smooth.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

A fine brew indeed. Tastes a bit like a dark Octoberfest.

to view more.