Spaten Optimator - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Optimator Alström Bros

I will only write this review, to profess my love for this beer. Ok, I've had 3 and feeling pretty damn good right about now.... yes they are 7% so you may get the idea that they will give you that warm fuzzy feeling pretty quick...

I've tried a bunch of beers and I keep coming back to this one. Thankfully it isn't the hardest to get. I was recommended to it by a German doctor. The point is, the guy has the money to buy what he wants and this was the one he liked. I'm usually disappointed by the rest of the beers I try and wish I had my Optimator instead. Ok, the Korbinian was damn good and so was the Celebrator. But they're more expensive and not more impressive. Seriously. This is the one to buy. A+++

Ok, just a bit about it. It is dark, rich, and sweet. If you want dry and bitter look elsewhere. This one will pair with a nice dessert or just about anything as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it does get better as it approaches room temperature but I haven't made it all the way there because it tastes too damn good. Enjoy and only rate it if you can appreciate a truly damn good Doppelbock.

Presentation: 1 PT .9 OZ Brown bottle with crushed gold foil around cap. day code on lower left of label, but no freshness date.

Appearance: Dark amber color, with 1 finger of tan head, head retains very well, with lacing ring throughout the pint.

Smell: Hints of caramel, sweet and toasted malt, chocolate, slight hint of orange.

Taste: lovely rich malt flavor similar to a brown ale. abv very well hidden.

Notes: one of my favorites, Breakfast beer it is. a little thrown off by the label reading "malt liqour" on the side, guessing no hops.

Appearance - Dark enough to black out the sun with a creamy off-white head. Inviting.

Smell - This beer has a great aroma, like most doppelbocks, but this beer takes it to a new level. It's something like campfire s'mores if you were smelling them from your tent.

Taste - Delicious, and no mistake. The great aroma seems to go right back to your nose as you drink it, and it tastes malty and semi-sweet all the way down.

Mouthfeel - Again, superb. With a taste as great as this, you really MUST let it linger in the mouth a moment before you swallow it.

Drinkability - Damn good. My only note would be wary of the alcohol content. Doppelbocks generally have much higher ABV (alcohol by volume) than your typical can of Budweiser.

Verdict - Germans know beer. Spaten Optimator is a testament to that. I tried this on a stranger's recommendation a few months ago, and I must say it's become one of my favorites. When I go out for beers, I typically try something new and then finish off with something I know I like. This has become a frequent finisher for me. If you haven't tried Optimator, then you're missing out. Seriously - this is one of those beers that's so good that it makes you sad when you find your glass empty. On a side note, this beer still tastes exquisite out of a bottle. Some beers, e.g. Young's Double Chocolate Stout, taste much better from a tap than from a bottle.

4.99/5  rDev +28.3%

Love this beer! A friend brought this over to enjoy with dinner and I've bought this ale many times since.

This is a manly beer with a dark nut brown complexion and full frothy head. It's taste and smell remind me of homemade bread.

A staple beer at a great price point try it!

4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

Have been drinking this beer since I was a kid. Was hard to find may years ago and originally it was only available to me at one place and on tap.

Sat down with a couple of bottles of it last night in order to write this review. First, make sure your drinking this beer very cold. Not frozen mind you, but very very "cold". I like pouring it into a frosty mug or glass.

Before pouring, let the bottle sit open for at least 3 minutes. Pour it moderately fast so as to get a nice head. Loads of smells here. Liquorish, coffee and fruits are easily detected.

The color and texture could be stronger/deeper. But I'd still give them a 4.5 to 5. Drinkability is outstanding. This is a beer that's made for empty stomach pounding. It's a meal within itself. So make sure your not drinking it on a full stomach. Lite food fair or a small amount of prezels at most with this one.

Taste is perfect. Lots of fruit but underneath not too out front, as it should be. Makes for a great drinking doppelbock.

Best in winter. Very heavy for a hot summer day/evening.

Spaten Optimator from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu