2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Spaten Optimator - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Optimator Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,277 | Reviews: 1,248 | Show All Ratings:
Utica_Brew_Review

1.94/5  rDev -50.1%

First off, this beer has an awesome color--dark amber. Green bottle is followed naturally by a skunky aroma. Taste matches the smell. Mouthfeel isn't that bad apart from taste. Our sample may be old or spoiled since our review differs so much and if this beer knew our opinion it'd be embarrassed.

01-30-2013 05:07:35 | More by Utica_Brew_Review
MetalBoozingBen

2.08/5  rDev -46.5%

i purchased a pint bottle of this, since im a fan of spaten beers like their oktoberfest beer,pilser ect.. btu this bock beer was just way too syrupy to me taste wasnt that bad but overwhelming. this is good beer to try a few sips but after a while the strong syrupy taste does get to you

03-04-2008 04:19:00 | More by MetalBoozingBen
Amalak

2.1/5  rDev -46%

App: very dark redish color. mild head.

Smell: I don't care for this brand of beers smell. Kind of reminds me of dog food.

Taste: I just don't care for this brand of beer. I love Spatens, especially the Octoberfest, but the Optimator just doesn't do it for me. Very strong, nuttyish flavor.

Mouthfeel: Bad after taste, that lingers for a long time.

Drinkability: Bubbly, but again, this taste is not my style.

I just don't care for this style of beer, and of its kind, it is definitely the worst I have had so far.

09-22-2007 03:07:01 | More by Amalak
Ryan011235

2.13/5  rDev -45.2%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 4/18/12

Deep tobacco brown with a copper sheen. Ambitious head of over three fingers that drops moderately slowly.

The nose finds aromas of plum, dark fruits, dusty yeast, husk and buttered bread. Hints of toffee. Something odd is going on, though the bread comes to the fore over time.

Leading off are dark fruit flavors are a bit too juicy for my liking and they have a tangy bent that doesn't jive. The middle finds hints of faint, earthy hops and decay. Toasted grains and bread pick up on the back half, but not enough to salvage this one.

The first aspect of the feel that come to mind is a pervassive booziness that stays long on the finish; it isn't gnarly hot, per se, but the modest heat doesn't subside. The body is medium-thin and a touch on the watery side.

Overall impression - Could be worse, but I'm not particularly impressed with this one.

05-16-2012 01:35:54 | More by Ryan011235
Sycodrummer

2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

After reading the reviews here i thought i would enjoy this one as i enjoy others of the same style. Recents had a 5oz. sampler of it at Sunset Grill and Tap and I'm glad it was only 5oz.

The appearance looks great; a nice copper/dark brown with a thick one finger head that lasted the entire serving

Smell was okay, a little off what i expected, smelled a bit sweet and some caramel as well.

Taste was not good, at first could not quite detect what it reminded me of then i realized it was molasses. I very thin but similairly flavored type of molasses, almost tempted not to finish it.

Mouthfell was close to the taste, a thin molasses that if left to long on the palate became almost "un-swallowable"

Drinkablity was nearly impossible, i finished the 5oz but it was indeed a chore, will not have again any time soon and can't in good conscience recommend this brew

12-14-2004 03:05:46 | More by Sycodrummer
wanker

2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

This was a tough beer for me to drink. I love stouts and porters, but I don't have much experience with doppelbocks. If this is what doppelbocks are like, I'll stick with stouts and porters.

No head.

I found the beer tasted burnt and somewhat sour/bitter. Not a crisp, hoppy bitter, but rather an unpleasant stale bitter I can't put my finger on. Because this is a different taste than that described in some other reviews of this beer, maybe I didn't get the freshest bottle. I don't know.

Not for me. Your mileage may vary.

11-29-2006 01:43:30 | More by wanker
MistahBeah

2.34/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I think this one may have been skunky so maybe not accurate. Reading other reviews that were favorable but I really didn't care for this one

Appearance: Initially poured like a true dopplebock. Small tan head. Little carbonation. Deep copper. Clear amber in the light. No retention/lacing. After a little while I honestly thought it looked like sewage. Not very inviting but maybe its my overall impression clouding my judgment.

Aroma: No surprises here. Smells like yeast and sweet caramel. A tad hoppy?

Taste: This is where it tanks in my opinion. Way too hoppy for the style and it tastes skunky. Tastes more like a maibock - which wouldn't be bad if it wasn't a dopplebock. Sticky resin hops with slight char malts but virtually no sweetness. No detectable alcohol. Really not a fan.

Mouthfeel: Feels more carbonated than you'd think. Really coats the mouth. Sticky and if I thought it tasted better I wouldn't mind.

Overall: Like I said, if it said it was a maibock I'd probably enjoy it but I was let down. Not a terrible beer just a bad representation of the style

05-12-2013 23:30:05 | More by MistahBeah
treehugginslug

2.35/5  rDev -39.6%

A - Very dark and little foam.

S - Smell of dark malts, but can't tell of any hops.

T - Nice brown malt, but nothing more than that. It was not anything special.

M - It was alright. Fair amount of carbonation, but still a bit lacking.

D - After one drink I have had enough.

Whould I buy it again: No
Would I recommend it to a friend: Sure, why not.
Would I drink it if I was offered at a party: If it was the only thing there except Bud.
Overall: It was OK, not great, but OK. I mean I wasn't impression. Taste was a little weak. Nothing that I'm in love with. In the end, eh...

01-24-2011 02:16:38 | More by treehugginslug
scottum

Vermont

2.48/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours a sexy deep brown with a nice big full tan headskie. Tastes, um... sickly sweet. Malts are big and full of sugars. All balance is shot by the sweet-tooth, alas. There might be more to this beer behind the sweet malts, but I'm too overpowered to find it. Mouthfeel and drinkability also suffers from sweetness. There are many many many better doppelbocks available.

08-24-2005 01:39:59 | More by scottum
CortexBomb

2.48/5  rDev -36.2%

Pour is deep amber with not a lot of head on top. The smell is very malty, caramel prominent.

The flavour starts out with that same caramel sweetness, a bit of dark fruits, and a bit of an alcohol tone. Not as big as most Doppelbocks though, the flavours are there, but they aren't huge. Below average for the style.

The mouth on this, about average. Maybe a bit thin, but not bad. Drinkability, a 2. I'm unlikely to buy this again, just not good enough for the style.

The bottom line: I'm a big fan of the Doppelbock style, and while this is a passable example there are numerous others that I would take over this, including locally brewed options.

11-16-2007 02:09:19 | More by CortexBomb
Arithmeticus

Maryland

2.48/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured chilled in flared glass

A: dark caramel, clear; very thick head; good carb beads; great lacing
S: a bit univiting; thin, malty (sweet) aroma; but I don't smell a bock here
T: one-dimensional bock; little double about it
M: watery, thin, dead

It looks fantastic, but 'tain't.

09-26-2011 15:28:00 | More by Arithmeticus
udubdawg

Kansas

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

wow, this pours a gorgeous deep amber/brown color, topped by an inch of tan dense head that fades to a finger before sticking around quite a while. Spots of lacing are even left here and there.

Sadly the beer goes downhill quickly from the looks department. Definite "skunked" note in the aroma. It's not even very old. Vague sweet toasty Munich notes, but also a bit of a tart edge, and definitely a decent amount of metallic. Not impressed.

There is promise in the flavor, but too much wrong with it. Fairly sweet, some browned/toasted malt, nothing I'd call rich or "meal in a glass". Bitterness is low, metallic is not overwhelming but noticeable. Not roasty, but no chocolate either. Sweet malt with a touch of tartness is the lingering flavor on my palate. I either need it with a fuller mouthfeel and a richer malt profile if it is going to be this sweet, or I need it drier, more bitter, and maybe more alcohol. Either would be fine.

Body is surprisingly thin. Carb is appropriate, and as it is thin and not terribly high in alcohol, it is reasonably drinkable. The best thing that I can say about this beer is that it is a "looker"...but that isn't enough for me to buy it again.

05-22-2010 00:17:09 | More by udubdawg
SnowGoon99

Maine

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

Serving type: bottle, poured into Stella Artois glass

Unfortunately this beer suffered from it's packaging and handling. First of all it came in a green bottle which i didn't notice until i poured it out. So bad sign off the bat. Second of all the initial aroma was that of oxidation. Hiding in the background was some toasty and bready notes which would have stood out more if not for the oxidation.

Color was great. When held up to light it was a deep red and very clear.

Tasting was a little better than aroma but not phenomenal. Carbonation was slightly high but not off-putting. Mouthfeel was very thin which surprised me for such a high alcohol beer. The Bock-type notes were there but aroma definitely effected flavor impression.

Overall it was not a great beer tasting experience. I would have loved to try this beer on tap in Munich. I believe it would make all the difference.

09-04-2010 15:20:52 | More by SnowGoon99
SamN

Colorado

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

This beer pours a pretty dark amber color, almost a purple shade. Thin looking, not much to it. Head is fairly minimal, I feel like it should be more. Smell is skunky...yep, sour metallic skunkiness fills the glass, making it smell more like a cheap Euro lager than a rich malty Munich-brewed doppelbock. Slight hazelnut notes, but mostly skunk. Pew! Taste doesn't seem to be terribly affected, though. Can detect some smooth creamy toffee notes, but it doesn't last and the metal twang of skunk kills the flavor before it can bloom. Body is pretty good for the style, not thick, but solid and more mass.

Bottom line; this is why we don't put beers in green bottles! I'm sure this import version isn't as good as the real deal in Deutschland, and the fact that it made a long journey a long time ago makes this particular example a disappointment. I'll be keeping an eye out for a fresher version.

05-07-2011 05:38:36 | More by SamN
Delirium

2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

Clear dark brick red pour gives way to quickly settling head with floating clusters of bubbles around the edge if the glass. Smells like a fruit salad left in the sun all day. Acidic and sweet like bile and corn. Maybe this beer tastes better on tap in Munich, tastes to me like concentrated ghetto 40oz.

03-15-2003 11:12:29 | More by Delirium
PAvolksbiermann

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Warning this is an A.B.Inbev beer most people don't realize this! This is a very dark beer that has malt liquor listed on the label. It is moderately strong (7.2%) which an average beer drinker probably would not like. Has a strong grape / earthy after taste with a hint of what I like to call liquid smoke taste (roasts). Very sudsy with lacing (high sugar content) left on the inside of the bottle.

03-11-2011 00:31:16 | More by PAvolksbiermann
etaggie09

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance: Brown with a ruby tint. Pretty good head and lacing. Whitish brown head that stayed for a little while.

Aroma: Malty, fruity, alcoholic. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Taste: not much here. A light sweet malty flavor with a little chocolate in the background but I can't find much else.

Mouthfeel: Watery with moderate carbonation. Nowhere near as strong as a dopplebock's mouthfeel should be.

Drinkability: Easy, but why would you want to have another?

Notes: This was not very impressive to me. I had both the Ayinger Celebrator and Samichlaus in the same weekend, and this one impressed me as being average, almost bock-like in its maltiness, certainly not up to dopplebock standards.

10-11-2004 16:11:41 | More by etaggie09
madvermin

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours dark brownish black with plenty of ruby red highlights. Head is one-finger, white, and dissipated quickly. Lace is nonexistent.

Nose is of dark fruit and sweet malt. The sweetness is one part molasses and one part candy sugar, and it's a bit too much for my taste. Plums are the fruit that comes out the most, and they are definitely enjoyable.

Taste follows the nose pretty much exactly, with plums and figs making up the fruit profile, and a sugary sticky sweetness coming from the malt. It's a wee bit roasted, but not much. The beer is too sweet to me, and booze coming out at the tail end of sips doesn't help matters.

A medium body and prickly carbonation make for a decent combination in terms of mouthfeel, but I just dislike the dry finish combined with the sweetness in the taste. Drinkability is ok, but held back by the finish and alcohol - both the taste and abv components.

05-04-2011 04:03:27 | More by madvermin
AdamBear

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

A-dark brown. slightly translucent. cream colored head that disappears

S-smells like syrup with a hint of molasses spice

T-comes in with an odd taste of dark grains and molasses syrup. it's a weirdly aged taste that i'm not fond of at all. matching after-taste.

M-medium carbonation with a very dry finish

O-this is one of the least drinkable german beers that i've had. something about it doesn't sir right with me. its fairly harsh and seems to be very off balanced. i think the molasses syrupy taste to it is just too much.

04-13-2012 01:56:50 | More by AdamBear
nklatt

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Deep amber color, small head, mild sweet flowery smell. Caramel-sweet taste, not strong alcohol - or anything else. Sticky, thin mouthfeel. Wouldn't want to drink more than a couple of these.

02-26-2002 20:16:11 | More by nklatt
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured a clear, deep red beer with a thin off-white head that wouldn't retain itself even when i swirled the last bit of beer in the bottle then dumped it into the glass. Aroma is of rich sweet dark caramel and no sulfur to be detected means the lager yeast was treated correctly. The taste is an initial blend of deep caramel sweetness, munich malt roastiness, and a subtle noble hop bitterness which segues to an even malt flavor and finishes with a touch of anise, more malt flavor, and an alcoholic warmth. Mouthfeel leaves a bit to be desired however as it dosent lend a smoothness to the beer. The carbonation is artifical and it leaves a harsh carbonic bite which i dislike in a lager. Overall not too drinkable as the higer alcohol isn't compensated by smoothness and the beer dosen't lend itself to truly exemplify the rich body of the Bock style.

10-27-2004 19:30:03 | More by RenoZymurgist
binkman

Maryland

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Served from a bottle. Freshness is unknown but assumed to be relatively fresh.

A - very dark, almost stout-like but red when held to light. Not much head, disappears fast, but leaves lace on the glass.

S - very little smell at all, but very malty, perhaps a little fruity.

T - initially very malty followed by osme lighter fruity notes, then hoppy and a bitter burnt flavor. It finishes sweet and bitter.

M - Smooth and not very carbonated

D - You could sip this one... its not one to pound. I would only consider drinking one or two in a sitting.

O - Good beer overall but a little too malty and under carbonated for me. Seems like it would go well with rare, red meat. Personally, I don't think I will be trying it again soon.

10-17-2007 00:09:51 | More by binkman
cedricwarner

Kentucky

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance is standard for style - Dark copper with tan head.
Smell is freshly baked bread, but somewhat faint.
Taste is initially sweet, raisiny, giving way to soy sauce and a slight bitterness, ending with a somewhat metallic aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is rich and full as it should be.

Out of the Doppelbocks from Germany that I've tried, this is my least favorite, as well as my least favorite offering from the Spaten brewery. It doesn't have the strong maltiness of Salvator, Bajuvator or Korbinian, it doesn't have the complexity of Celebrator or Andechser. It's not horrible but there are way better Doppelbocks and Starkbiers out there.

02-22-2009 22:05:53 | More by cedricwarner
goochpunch

2.8/5  rDev -28%

Poured out looking like brownish grape jello. Very little head, after forcing it, that fades out into a thin ring. Aroma is a little weak, but what I do get out of it is a kind of alcoholic cherry cola. Flavors are quite similar as in the nose, with the cherry and cola flavors, and accompanied by hop bitterness in the finish. The malt and the hops linger a good while after each sip. The downfall is in the alcohol. Not well hidden at all and gives a medicinal quality to this. Mouthfeel is thick and slick, coating the tongue nicely. Drinkability is really cut back by the presence of alcohol, but overall, is decent.

100th review = mediocre beer.

04-27-2006 03:17:04 | More by goochpunch
KajII

2.8/5  rDev -28%

[Best served in a Dimpled Mug]

The pour was a medium-dark brown with a large (2-3 finger) light brown head that diminished quickly and had poor lacing.

The aroma was of a toasted bread malt and a doughy yeast with notes of caramel, molasses, dark fruit (raisins and plums) and a slight metallic smell.

The taste was lightly sweet and malty throughout with a note of caramel early on and had notes of dark fruit and a mild alcohol presence at the finish. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a slight metallic fruity flavor left behind.

Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and watery yet just a tad dry in texture with a medium carbonation.

Overall a pretty basic Doppelbock with a slightly bland flavor...

03-22-2012 23:04:48 | More by KajII