Spaten Optimator - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Optimator Alström Bros

Scott_Thomas, Aug 13, 2014

uziangis, Jan 13, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -61.4%

canders0927, Apr 03, 2012
1.94/5  rDev -50.1%

First off, this beer has an awesome color--dark amber. Green bottle is followed naturally by a skunky aroma. Taste matches the smell. Mouthfeel isn't that bad apart from taste. Our sample may be old or spoiled since our review differs so much and if this beer knew our opinion it'd be embarrassed.

Utica_Brew_Review, Jan 30, 2013

rusty3335, Sep 17, 2013

KGarrett, Nov 19, 2011

soonerlight, Jan 15, 2012

Robinho, Sep 05, 2014

EvanTJ, Jul 20, 2012

kevinm2342, May 07, 2014
2.08/5  rDev -46.5%

i purchased a pint bottle of this, since im a fan of spaten beers like their oktoberfest beer,pilser ect.. btu this bock beer was just way too syrupy to me taste wasnt that bad but overwhelming. this is good beer to try a few sips but after a while the strong syrupy taste does get to you

MetalBoozingBen, Mar 04, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -46%

App: very dark redish color. mild head.

Smell: I don't care for this brand of beers smell. Kind of reminds me of dog food.

Taste: I just don't care for this brand of beer. I love Spatens, especially the Octoberfest, but the Optimator just doesn't do it for me. Very strong, nuttyish flavor.

Mouthfeel: Bad after taste, that lingers for a long time.

Drinkability: Bubbly, but again, this taste is not my style.

I just don't care for this style of beer, and of its kind, it is definitely the worst I have had so far.

Amalak, Sep 22, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -45.2%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 4/18/12

Deep tobacco brown with a copper sheen. Ambitious head of over three fingers that drops moderately slowly.

The nose finds aromas of plum, dark fruits, dusty yeast, husk and buttered bread. Hints of toffee. Something odd is going on, though the bread comes to the fore over time.

Leading off are dark fruit flavors are a bit too juicy for my liking and they have a tangy bent that doesn't jive. The middle finds hints of faint, earthy hops and decay. Toasted grains and bread pick up on the back half, but not enough to salvage this one.

The first aspect of the feel that come to mind is a pervassive booziness that stays long on the finish; it isn't gnarly hot, per se, but the modest heat doesn't subside. The body is medium-thin and a touch on the watery side.

Overall impression - Could be worse, but I'm not particularly impressed with this one.

Ryan011235, May 16, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -43.4%

After reading the reviews here i thought i would enjoy this one as i enjoy others of the same style. Recents had a 5oz. sampler of it at Sunset Grill and Tap and I'm glad it was only 5oz.

The appearance looks great; a nice copper/dark brown with a thick one finger head that lasted the entire serving

Smell was okay, a little off what i expected, smelled a bit sweet and some caramel as well.

Taste was not good, at first could not quite detect what it reminded me of then i realized it was molasses. I very thin but similairly flavored type of molasses, almost tempted not to finish it.

Mouthfell was close to the taste, a thin molasses that if left to long on the palate became almost "un-swallowable"

Drinkablity was nearly impossible, i finished the 5oz but it was indeed a chore, will not have again any time soon and can't in good conscience recommend this brew

Sycodrummer, Dec 14, 2004

Luiz0930, May 31, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

This was a tough beer for me to drink. I love stouts and porters, but I don't have much experience with doppelbocks. If this is what doppelbocks are like, I'll stick with stouts and porters.

No head.

I found the beer tasted burnt and somewhat sour/bitter. Not a crisp, hoppy bitter, but rather an unpleasant stale bitter I can't put my finger on. Because this is a different taste than that described in some other reviews of this beer, maybe I didn't get the freshest bottle. I don't know.

Not for me. Your mileage may vary.

wanker, Nov 29, 2006