Spaten Optimator - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Optimator Alström Bros

lesslikemath, Mar 18, 2013

ejohnson654, Sep 21, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Deep amber color, small head, mild sweet flowery smell. Caramel-sweet taste, not strong alcohol - or anything else. Sticky, thin mouthfeel. Wouldn't want to drink more than a couple of these.

nklatt, Feb 26, 2002

RobertColianni, Sep 09, 2013

aaronblain22, Jun 18, 2012

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 09, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Served from a bottle. Freshness is unknown but assumed to be relatively fresh.

A - very dark, almost stout-like but red when held to light. Not much head, disappears fast, but leaves lace on the glass.

S - very little smell at all, but very malty, perhaps a little fruity.

T - initially very malty followed by osme lighter fruity notes, then hoppy and a bitter burnt flavor. It finishes sweet and bitter.

M - Smooth and not very carbonated

D - You could sip this one... its not one to pound. I would only consider drinking one or two in a sitting.

O - Good beer overall but a little too malty and under carbonated for me. Seems like it would go well with rare, red meat. Personally, I don't think I will be trying it again soon.

binkman, Oct 17, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance is standard for style - Dark copper with tan head.
Smell is freshly baked bread, but somewhat faint.
Taste is initially sweet, raisiny, giving way to soy sauce and a slight bitterness, ending with a somewhat metallic aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is rich and full as it should be.

Out of the Doppelbocks from Germany that I've tried, this is my least favorite, as well as my least favorite offering from the Spaten brewery. It doesn't have the strong maltiness of Salvator, Bajuvator or Korbinian, it doesn't have the complexity of Celebrator or Andechser. It's not horrible but there are way better Doppelbocks and Starkbiers out there.

cedricwarner, Feb 22, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured a clear, deep red beer with a thin off-white head that wouldn't retain itself even when i swirled the last bit of beer in the bottle then dumped it into the glass. Aroma is of rich sweet dark caramel and no sulfur to be detected means the lager yeast was treated correctly. The taste is an initial blend of deep caramel sweetness, munich malt roastiness, and a subtle noble hop bitterness which segues to an even malt flavor and finishes with a touch of anise, more malt flavor, and an alcoholic warmth. Mouthfeel leaves a bit to be desired however as it dosent lend a smoothness to the beer. The carbonation is artifical and it leaves a harsh carbonic bite which i dislike in a lager. Overall not too drinkable as the higer alcohol isn't compensated by smoothness and the beer dosen't lend itself to truly exemplify the rich body of the Bock style.

RenoZymurgist, Oct 27, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -28%

Poured out looking like brownish grape jello. Very little head, after forcing it, that fades out into a thin ring. Aroma is a little weak, but what I do get out of it is a kind of alcoholic cherry cola. Flavors are quite similar as in the nose, with the cherry and cola flavors, and accompanied by hop bitterness in the finish. The malt and the hops linger a good while after each sip. The downfall is in the alcohol. Not well hidden at all and gives a medicinal quality to this. Mouthfeel is thick and slick, coating the tongue nicely. Drinkability is really cut back by the presence of alcohol, but overall, is decent.

100th review = mediocre beer.

goochpunch, Apr 27, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -28%

[Best served in a Dimpled Mug]

The pour was a medium-dark brown with a large (2-3 finger) light brown head that diminished quickly and had poor lacing.

The aroma was of a toasted bread malt and a doughy yeast with notes of caramel, molasses, dark fruit (raisins and plums) and a slight metallic smell.

The taste was lightly sweet and malty throughout with a note of caramel early on and had notes of dark fruit and a mild alcohol presence at the finish. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a slight metallic fruity flavor left behind.

Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and watery yet just a tad dry in texture with a medium carbonation.

Overall a pretty basic Doppelbock with a slightly bland flavor...

KajII, Mar 22, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

On tap, paired with Italian pasta, which might have been a mistake.

A=Nice dark amber, appealing

S=Slight wiff of hops

T=I haven't had one of these in years, but recall it being better than what I had. Not only did I find this beer somewhat lacking in flavor, but it was a bit sweet...not something I would go out of my way to get. I used to love bock beers, but have been disappointed in many to date, so maybe I've just lost my taste for bocks.

M=Good...bit too watery.

O=I simply did not enjoy this beer as much as others and will likely not try again.

dhannes, Jun 30, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

I first had this in Germany on tap about 3 years ago and was aching to dip into it again when I was it at my local beer store. All in all, this beer tasted almost EXACTLY like regular Spaten with the exception of the orangish-brown color and the strength (a solid doppelbock at 7% ABV). It does not have the substance that I anticipate from a doppelbock and really does not bear the flavor all that well. It drank far better on tap and although vaguely differed from regular Spaten's crispness, the bite and refreshing finish really did it for me. It has some light fruit tones and a hint of sweetness, though it drinks like a lighter beer in that it goes down easier and the ABV strength is barely noticeable until it is down your throat.

TLove, Dec 01, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Presentation: 12oz green (WHY??) pop top bottle. No freshness date that I can find.

Appearance: Walnut beer with copper highlights and a large dark ivory cap which fades to a thick, sticky ring.

Smell: Very grainy. At first, I thought I smelled a ghostly hint of skunk out of the bottle, but this seems to have (thankfully) disappeared. This is overall quite sweet and grainy, almost like boiling wort before the hops are tossed in. Maybe just a ghost of dark fruit, but this is very, very faint. This is pleasant, but a bit too one-dimensional.

Taste: The flavor sadly goes downhill. Quite sweet, and a bit caramelly, but without any real malt depth. There's a bit of sharp, almost bitter, booziness underneath, that definitely tastes more than it should for 7.4%. Almost a hot finish, hard to believe w/abv in this range.

Mouthfeel: Medium, a bit boozy

Overall: Not particularly offensive (although the heat's a bit annoying at this level) but this is definitely forgettable.

BedetheVenerable, Aug 06, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -26%

Poured from the green bottle into a pint glass.

It poured with a very thin head which disappeared quickly. Color was dark amber to brown and the head (before it fled the scene) was an off-white/kahki color. The beer was clear with a few stray bubbles visible rising from the bottom of the glass. Some ruby highlights when looking at a light source through the beer.

Aroma...next to none. And what was there smelled more like Heineken. Dopplebocks are supposed to have a strong, malty aroma. This did not have that. Not even close. I didn't smell any trace of hops, which is not unusual for style..but there wasn't a malt component either. I don't know what else to say.

Taste....I seriously think someone swapped the label on this green bottled beer with a Heineken. It tasted like that. Maybe a little maltier...but only a little. It was a clean taste...but not the rich malty flavor a Dopplebock is supposed to have.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed. I've had this on tap at a local German restaurant and have enjoyed it. This bottled version, though, left a lot to be desired. It's not bad...it's just not particularly good.

ElectricSalmon, Apr 23, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

appearance - dark red/brown and semi-clear. Nice 2 finger head.

Smell - very heavy and sweet smells

Taste - Definitely not a style that I enjoy much. Taste is srong and heavy with molasses and caramel.

Mouthfeel - full bodied

Overall - I don't think this beer works for me very well. Too much molassas/caremel and boozy flavor.

bubseymour, Feb 05, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

I got this beer after having been recommended to me by workmates. This beer pours well, very small head that lingers a bit. Smell is sweet in that almost salty fermented way that I am not so fond of... Taste is much of the same... overly fermented sweetness. Mouthfeel is quite light however despite the heavy taste. This beer might make a good winter warmer, however I'll likely stick with Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve or a nice barleywine when the weather turns cold... Not a bad beer by any means, but I probably won't have it again due to personal preference.

Roguester, Sep 27, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

Bought a single of this for about $1.50.

I've had a few doppelbocks in the past and didn't like them at all so I tried this main stream one... and my verdict is... I don't like doppelbocks. While this is the best of the ones I've had, I still don't enjoy them. A total lack of aroma except for a harsh alcohol smell and the taste is lackluster as well. Malty with more biting alcohol... just not what I want in a beer. At least this doppelbock I can finish unlike the others I tried.

oriolesfan4, Oct 22, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass: Head is good solid and lasted a while. Color is a very deep red, almost opaque.
Smell: Some sweet smell.
Taste: Starts out with a great chocolate/carmel taste, lots and lots of flavor. As the glass wore on, the flavor left behind just a strong malty flavor without anything interesting.
Overall: Too bad the flavor didn't last. A good beer overall, I'd drink it again, but no go out of my way for it.

andyinsdca, Jul 03, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

A: Pours a clear, dark, cola red, with a good finger of fine off-white head; little to no lacing.

S: Smell is of sweet biscuity malts, almost like cola once again. Not much variety in the nose, but not bad.

T: Sweet, caramel malt flavors with a bit of black licorice. Somewhat watery and simple; not a huge fan of it.

M: Thin body, moderate carbonation; slightly syrupy/sticky mouthfeel.

D: The flavor is a bit too simple (not to mention, not spectacular) for me to really enjoy this one. Slightly cloying near the end of the glass, though the alcohol is hidden well and the thin body make it quite manageable.

AwYeh, Jan 17, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Had this a while back, but couldn't remember if I liked it so decided to revisit it again.

Poured a dark, almost cola like appearance with a solid two finger head which stayed for quite a while and left strong lacing.

Smelled of nuts and coffee, with some alcohol present.

Tasted of mild coffee and maybe some dark fruits. normally I don't like the taste of coffee but this was well integrated and was somewhat pleasing.

Mouthfeel was good. Smooth and a bit on the thick side.

All in all it wasn't my favorite offering from Spaten, but it was well done and something I'd consider having again.

JBogan, Apr 17, 2008