Spaten Optimator - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Optimator Alström Bros

3.71/5  rDev -4.6%

I love the brown, almost blood-red color of this one when it's poured into a glass. The malts are extremely prominent: rich and toasty, with caramel and molasses overtones, and a hint of dark, brown bread on the finish. A moderate carbonation level doesn't quite eclipse the dash of bitter that sets off the malty sweetness very nicely. It's very very assertive, but not cloying in terms of sweetness. A hearty, solid German-style beer; a little too strong for a session beer, but a couple of 'em will weigh you down very nicely.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.54/5  rDev -9%

I have had this beer before. I dig a good German beer. My family is actually originally from Germany, so I guess it makes sense that I enjoy this style of beer. I didn't realize that this beer was first brewed for Lent… learn something new every day. I also didn't realize this beer had such a high ABV. We are going to Europe next week… not hitting Germany, but we will be close. We decided on Belgium instead.

In the Glass: It's dark and looks awesome. We are headed to Europe next week, but not going to Germany. However, most beers that come from Munich are great. I have had this before, and according to Untappd I rated this 4/5. Let's see if that holds true tonight!

Nose: We are drinking this right out of the fridge, but the malts are just rushing to the top. It has an almost chocolate aroma to it. Its nice, and while not overpowering, begs for a sip. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Whoa. The aroma doesn't hold a candle to the flavor. This is incredible. It's smooth and sweet and malty and… and incredible! I love the flavor. I wonder if a lot of beers over there taste like this. If they do, I might move! This is delicious. It's like a meal, but in a glass. Yummy!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice… but that's about it. It has subtle carbonation, but that's it. It's there… and gone. The flavor is the focus of this beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is malty and smoky. Or is it smokey? Anyway, it has a very polished finish and the burp is great. It is just an enjoyable, pretty high ABV, German beer.

Before I had this beer, I had a bottle of the Lagunitas 13th Anniversary. It's big… 8.5%. We couldn't get Lagunitas in Indiana, so I take advantage anytime a new one comes out. This is the shortest review I have written… we need to do these when the sun is up! But hey, it's Saturday. Let's party!

Optimator - The bottle says: "NA"

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Spaten Optimator from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu