Spaten Optimator - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,751 | Reviews: 1,295

3.54/5  rDev -9%

I have had this beer before. I dig a good German beer. My family is actually originally from Germany, so I guess it makes sense that I enjoy this style of beer. I didn't realize that this beer was first brewed for Lent… learn something new every day. I also didn't realize this beer had such a high ABV. We are going to Europe next week… not hitting Germany, but we will be close. We decided on Belgium instead.

In the Glass: It's dark and looks awesome. We are headed to Europe next week, but not going to Germany. However, most beers that come from Munich are great. I have had this before, and according to Untappd I rated this 4/5. Let's see if that holds true tonight!

Nose: We are drinking this right out of the fridge, but the malts are just rushing to the top. It has an almost chocolate aroma to it. Its nice, and while not overpowering, begs for a sip. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: Whoa. The aroma doesn't hold a candle to the flavor. This is incredible. It's smooth and sweet and malty and… and incredible! I love the flavor. I wonder if a lot of beers over there taste like this. If they do, I might move! This is delicious. It's like a meal, but in a glass. Yummy!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice… but that's about it. It has subtle carbonation, but that's it. It's there… and gone. The flavor is the focus of this beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is malty and smoky. Or is it smokey? Anyway, it has a very polished finish and the burp is great. It is just an enjoyable, pretty high ABV, German beer.

Before I had this beer, I had a bottle of the Lagunitas 13th Anniversary. It's big… 8.5%. We couldn't get Lagunitas in Indiana, so I take advantage anytime a new one comes out. This is the shortest review I have written… we need to do these when the sun is up! But hey, it's Saturday. Let's party!

Optimator - The bottle says: "NA"

Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Review from 4/2010 notes. Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a dark reddish brown, light tan head and lacing. Strong pleasant aroma of sweet malt, caramel. Moderately sweet, malty start and middle. Pleasant malt and caramel finish. Seems muted in flavor, but well balanced and quite nice. A definite buy again.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance - Pours a deep, dark ruby brown with a light tan 2 finger head. Good retention. The resulting lace is thick, looks silky, and has good stick.

Smell - Faint whiffs of roasted malt, somewhat sugary, and some dry, earthy euro hoppiness. Subtle aroma.

Taste - Much bigger than the nose, fortunately. Roasted malts to start, with notes of raisin and fig popping up about mid-taste. A touch of brown sugar. Hints at earthiness and bread near the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Somewhat silky carbonation.

Overall - A good doppelbock from Spaten. Not quite on the level of Ayinger Celebrator, but it might be more session friendly.

2.97/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured a transparent black, With a one finger head, Looks like a glass of Pepsi. the smell is of dark cherries, Cranberry fig newtons, And blueberries. Alright I guess, though I prefer nothing but the blueberries. the taste follows the smell, Except the cherry flavoring comes through a wee bit more. The mouthfeel matches both of the previous, And nothing else come's through. The beer was a large disappointment, Considering how highly my father and brother had talked about it

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Spaten Optimator from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu