Spaten Optimator - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Optimator Alström Bros
3.36/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance- It poured nice and smooth into my pint glass there is a little redness to this mainly brown beer. The head is off white but almost tan with some nice staying power and lace.

Smell- Sweet and malty for the most with a faint alcohol scent.

Taste- There is not much for bitterness but it is a sweet and roasty beer.It has a real sweet and fruity like flavor a little beany followed by a little bit of a metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth and full. Marginally smooth and body consistency.

Drinkability- A great overall beer.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a green bottle with the label stating this was a malt liquor . . . strange.

Appearance - No head retention at all, medium copper, to brown, ruby highlights, very little carbonation, disappointing

Smell - malty sweetness, though not as much as expected to the style, no hop aroma, some graininess and alchol

Taste - roasted malts, lingering bitterness in its finish, some alcohol warmth, a bit of burnt notes, not as sweet as expected, little caramel comes out as it warms

Mouthfeel - medium body, some creaminess and astringency

Drinkability - easy to enough to consume, not as sweet as other dobblebocks, nothing too great but always enjoy this style

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

I tried it in a flute glass. Poured a 1/2" head which lasted longer than average. As for the color, a dark golden red. A sweet malty aroma. Malty in taste with an after taste of spice. Very pleasant. Mouth feel is good, I wish it were a little thicker. Good carbonation.

Overall: It has a clean quality taste you expect from Spaten-Brau. I could drink several Optiators. I enjoyed, and would recommend.

3.47/5  rDev -10.8%

Beautiful looking beer - poured a nice thick 3-finger off-white head that very gradually receded to a sheet. Dark brown body, just like I like 'em. Smell was faintly skunky; I'll blame the green bottle. The taste didn't really impress me - it was definitely malty, but not as roasty as I would have liked. I understand this is a doppelbock, so I shouldn't be too surprised I guess. The flavor reminded me a lot of Old Chub scotch ale without the smokiness. It's a very simple malt flavor, no hoppiness, no toastiness, just malty. This is my introduction to the style and I'm sure to find more complex brews out there.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown body with a small, off-white head.

Smell: Somewhat sweet-smelling aroma of carob, dark fruits, and apples.

Taste: Mild dark caramel flavor mixed with some carob sweetness. Accompanying notes of dark fruits and chewing tobacco. Very minor hint of apple. Only a faint amount of hop spiciness, but no real bitterness. Touch of alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It's a pleasant middle-of-the-road doppelbock.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

355ml green bottle from 12-pack. I've purchased four to five 12-packs of this for $8.99 each. This is the last of them. Poured into Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: cola brown body with reddish hues and creamy small-bubbled beige head. Endless lacing continues through entire beer.

Smell: sweet, malty liquor with raisins and figs. Reminds me of Christmas fruit cakes without all the spices.

Taste: sweet candied raisins balanced by a bitter hop flavor and alcohol at the finish. Taste is accentuated as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: rich, silky, medium body with soft, yet full carbonation.

Drinkability: complex flavors, smooth mouthfeel and well-masked alcohol make for an easy drinking beer. Eventually that 7.0% ABV will catch up with you. Love this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Nearly black, deep red amber in color. The one finger head faded but left some nice lacing.

S- Smooth roasted malts and dried fruits

T- Great hop/ malt balance throughout. Sweet roasted malt flavor without the dirty bitterness sometimes encountered with roasted malts.

M- Wonderful smoothness really complinments the flavor.

D- 7.2 abv is the only thing in the way here.

A truly great dopplebock, when you take into account the price and availabilty, its hard to beat.

2.8/5  rDev -28%

Served from a bottle. Freshness is unknown but assumed to be relatively fresh.

A - very dark, almost stout-like but red when held to light. Not much head, disappears fast, but leaves lace on the glass.

S - very little smell at all, but very malty, perhaps a little fruity.

T - initially very malty followed by osme lighter fruity notes, then hoppy and a bitter burnt flavor. It finishes sweet and bitter.

M - Smooth and not very carbonated

D - You could sip this one... its not one to pound. I would only consider drinking one or two in a sitting.

O - Good beer overall but a little too malty and under carbonated for me. Seems like it would go well with rare, red meat. Personally, I don't think I will be trying it again soon.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

Served on-tap in Hot Springs Arkansas.

Appearance: Very dark, cola coloring.

Smell: Sweet fruit, malt, even more malt, faint bitterness

Taste: Immediate surge of malt. Delicious. Combined with sweet fruit, apple, pear... Late arrival of hoppiness with bitter chocolate, finishes with a balance of bitter and sweet, very nice.

Mouthfeel: Very smoothe, could benefit from some more carbonation but overall very pleasing

Drinkability: At most I would think of having 2 but its finish leaves room for more if so desired...

Overall: Very drinkable, one of my favorite German beers though the alcohol will creep up on you. Pairs well with food of many varieties. Works well with chocolate desserts as well as with spicy meats. Accompanies a Bratwurst quite well, as does Spaten Premium Lager. A bock of the highest order.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Pour into tulip.

A - Dark and clear, egg white 1/4 inch head...Lots of lacing.

S - Cooked dark fruits, sweet notes

T - Fruits and sweetness still there, but not cloying, finishes almost neutral, a little to to the sweet side.

M - Fills the mouth will a solid valid presence. Carbonation mild but sufficient. Finish better than expected considering initial sweetness

D - One is enough. Nice different beer, but not a session beer.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

Deep brown color with ruby highlights; large cream-colored initial head, which faded to a thin covering leaving sticky lace. Bubbles a bit on the larger side. When cold, it smells of carbonation, a bit medicinal, and then all of the heavy, sweet malt aromas come through. When warmed, the beer smells much more appealing -- a bit of diacetyl & some spicy hops begin to balance out the malt bomb. The beer also tastes better when warmer -- I think that the recommended temp on this one is too cold. More like 55-60, in my opinion. Caramel, malt balls, raisin, toffee all present. Classic doppelbock, and fairly drinkable for the 7.2%.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

I poured it into a pint glass because I my 1 Liter Oktoberfest mug is dirty. This is one of my favorite types of beer so I'm going to show that in my review. The color is dark reddish brown with a moderate and lasting tannish head. It gives off an aroma of sweet roasted malt and quite a bit of alcohol. I taste a mild carmel-like sweetness with the warming sensation due to the higher-than-average alcohol content. Very nice. Not too overpowering. Just right. Smooth and perfectly carbonated. Very drinkable for a beer with a 7.2% alcohol content. Very good beer.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

I had a bottle served in a plastic mug (yuck) at Soup Cellar in Leavenworth, WA.

A: It poured a brownish to black tea hue with a light caramel three finger head. The head blew up huge and then dissipated leaving a collar around the glass and a slight cover of the brew. There was little noticeable lacing.

S: Deep sweet malty aroma with hints of raisins and plums. There was a slight hoppy flowery aroma that was very much hidden by the dominant sweet aroma.

T: It had a nice rich and sweet malt flavor with pleasant fruity undertones. There was a slight bitter finish and a mild alcoholic bite that left my mouth clean after each sip.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy smooth, slight bitterness and limited aftertaste.

D: Its a good beer, easy to drink. Low ABV makes it a good candidate for a long session.

Comment: Nice beer that I could easily enjoy in a bar or during an afternoon watching a baseball game.

It poured poured a dark brown color with a thin head that quickly disapears rather quickly. The smell from my glass to me isn't all that good but it does have its own smell. To me the taste also doesn't get me going its not bad but just not my style. Its got medium carbonation so its pretty smooth in the mouth. Over all I could drink a couple pints of this beer but would switch it up after just a few.

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured a deep amber color out of the bottle. Some scarlet in there when held up to light. There was an off white thin ring of bubbles that topped it all off. Not a whole lot of lacing.

Aromas were pretty subtle. A little nuttiness from the malts but not a whole lot else going on there.

My tastebuds picked up a little toasted maltiness as well as a little diacetyl taste. Hops were a little spicy and they balanced out the sweetness in the finish. There is also a hint of warm alcohol in the end as well.

The mouthfeel was light and it left a dry aftertaste that was only quenched by another sip of the beer. Drinkability is good because the alcohol is not aggressive at all. I would have another.

3.23/5  rDev -17%

Served from a bottle into a tapered mug. Poured deep caramel amber with off-white, rather quickly fading head. Aromas of green apple and brown sugar emerged with notes of drunken cherry and yeasty whole grain bread. Tasted of caramel and ripe plum, with a hop bite at the end and a sour apple fade. The mouthfeel was smooth, silky, and refreshing. Finished thin. Tasty and enjoyable, but not one I’d go out of my way to find.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

I got this beer after having been recommended to me by workmates. This beer pours well, very small head that lingers a bit. Smell is sweet in that almost salty fermented way that I am not so fond of... Taste is much of the same... overly fermented sweetness. Mouthfeel is quite light however despite the heavy taste. This beer might make a good winter warmer, however I'll likely stick with Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve or a nice barleywine when the weather turns cold... Not a bad beer by any means, but I probably won't have it again due to personal preference.

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

12 ounce bottle from Cost Plus World Market in Redlands

Pour was pretty dark brown with a small head that faded quickly

Not near as good as Celebrator to me, but not bad

Smell was malty and full of sugar

Taste had a nice finish and was smooth with a little more sweetness than I anticipated

Could drink a six pack of these if you wanted to

3.06/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a deep deep ruby color(when held up to the light). Very nice indeed. Thick tan head, settles extremely quickly.Aroma is a bit of sweet caramel and grain. Taste is somewhat lacking. I had high hopes after the beautiful color and not displeasing aroma, but this left me wanting more. Taste is malty sweet, but with hints of metallic. Maybe it's past it's prime, hmm. not sure. Mouthfeel is not bad, not to thick, not to watery thin. But doesn't appear to be much depth to it. As far as drinkability is concerned, i doubt very much i'd try this one again.

2.11/5  rDev -45.8%

App: very dark redish color. mild head.

Smell: I don't care for this brand of beers smell. Kind of reminds me of dog food.

Taste: I just don't care for this brand of beer. I love Spatens, especially the Octoberfest, but the Optimator just doesn't do it for me. Very strong, nuttyish flavor.

Mouthfeel: Bad after taste, that lingers for a long time.

Drinkability: Bubbly, but again, this taste is not my style.

I just don't care for this style of beer, and of its kind, it is definitely the worst I have had so far.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Ze Optimator. One of the top five best beer names on the planet. Prost!

A: Pours an extremely dark brown with amber hints when shown against a white light. 1.5 inches of off white/tan colored head with moderate lacing. Carbonation seems minimal.

S: Grain and malt dominates the nose, with both being sweet and cloying in the nostrils. Dark toasted sugars are also noticeable, alongside a persistent scent of alcohol.

T: Big, dark, rich, meaty and malty are the preliminary tastes. Upon secondary review, the malt seems to dominate most aspects of the palate. In fact, caramelized sugars and roasted malt occupy most of the palate. The hops develop a slightly dry/vegetal edge on the finish, but this beer is almost entirely roasted grain and toasted sugar. After the beer has been drank, coffee bitterness is noticeable, trailing into layers of raisined fruit.

M: Malted grain dominates the body. Hops seem negligible. This beer compromises classic doppelbock flavor with modern drinkability. (i.e. It tastes good, but isn't too heavy or complex)

D: Immensely drinkable for what it is.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

From a bottle, poured into a pint.

A: Dark amber, very pleasing color. Small head, but give it a swirl.

S: Very clean and malty.

T: Sweet taste, with a malty backone. The 7% alcohol is well hidden.

M: Little carbonation, light feel for a darker beer.

D: Goes down well for high ABV, tastes better as it warms up. Does not fill the stomach up too much.

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber/brown color with a small head, some lacing. Aroma is strong with hints of caramel, brown sugar and malt sweetness. Only the second dopplebock I've had. The taste starts out sweet and malty upfront and fades into a caramel aftertaste that is kind of thin. A second sip confirms the same, being almost too sweet. A good representative of the style but by no means better than Celebrator.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Unless my parents turn around and tell me I'm adopted, this beer is likely to be the biggest surprise for me in 2007. As one might expect, the supermarket shelves in Central Florida are almost completely dominated by the usual macro suspects. The tedium only ever being broken by the occasional arrival of a Samuel Adams seasonal like Octoberfest or Winter Lager. So it was with extremely low expectations that I decided to examine more closely several unfamiliar looking brands which were either new arrivals or that I had simply just not noticed before in amongst the Heinekens and Dos Equis.

A Doppelbock? - Had this been delivered to the wrong store?

Well I like doppelbocks, and really, just how bad could a beer be with an abv of 7.2%? - So in the end the purchase was an easy decision.

Not only was I rewarded with a fantastically malty, beautifully sweet gem of a beer, at just the right strength I like (a couple of steps up from session, but not a one punch lights out merchant) but when I returned to the store the next day to buy some more (I pretty much drank it all in one go) I found it was now on sale.

I normally like to have several different beers during an evening, but the fact that I spent Labor Day Eve drinking nothing but this beer is a testament to how much I enjoyed it.

This was equally a great find and surprise.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%

This brew pours a clear black color, which has reddish hues when held up to light. The head is one centimeter in height, and recedes within seconds into sparce lacing. The aroma is of grass, caramel, and chocolate malt. The taste is of a lot less grassy as than the aroma. It is of caramel, and dark chocolate, with a hint of cream. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a decent doppelbock, but there are better ones out there. I would much rather have a Paulaner than this one. I would drink it again, but only if nothing better were available.

Spaten Optimator from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu