Brew City Lager - Melanie Brewing Company

Brew City LagerBrew City Lager

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-21-2004)
Reviews by soulfly967:
2.03/5  rDev +10.3%

I got a case of this down at the local distributor. I needed something cheap, and this was it.

Poured a pale yellow with a fluffy white head that fellt to a thin film with some splotches of bubbles, and it actually left some lacing. The smell was... um... not much, but there was some malt sweetness. The taste was sweet malts and corn and some bitterness at the end, but the flavors were very, very weak. The mouthfeel was smooth but way too thin. I dont think that I could drink too many of these unless I was desperate. I donated the rest to a buddy of mine for use at a future party. I"ll remember to bring my own beer to that one.

soulfly967, Dec 30, 2004
2.35/5  rDev +27.7%

Wanted to grab a cheap six-pack of cans on the way to the pool and Mitch at the local Shop Kwik had these in stock, so I gave 'em a spin.

Appearance - pale straw colored beer, pours with 2+ fingers of initial head, white and rocky, fading fast to a thin covering and collar with some clump random lacing. Decent first impression, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Aroma - standard grainy macro smell.

Taste - slightly sweet adjunct grain, reminds me a little of MGD. Macro style beer from the Melanie Brewing Company. There's nothing much here to write about. It finishes with a twinge of bitterness that actually lingers a few moments, but it's mostly plain.

Mouthfeel - thin and watery, lots of bubbles. Not much body to this, completing a rather bland profile.

Drinkability - hey, it's cheap, it's '2-dollar-a-sixer' cheap and a fix for knocking back several and then some when all you got in the wallet is a couple Georges.

brewdlyhooked13, Jul 14, 2004
1.33/5  rDev -27.7%

The last few times ot the liqour store this Brew City Lager and it's 9.69 a case price is jumping out at made(the old risk vs reward debate)....made in La Crosse (City Brewing whcih is decent)....so I says to myself "What the hell" let's give it a shot....if nothing else some good brat boiling beer...

So for the real test I am drinking this medium cold....semi-warm..whatever...not ice cold

Poured a light yellow...clear...small white head...looks decent....a bit of a surprise on the aroma as it imparts a somewhat adjuncty aroma....cooked corn...no worse than a lot of the others though...also a hint of alcohol (now we're talking!!)...

First taste....nothing...then a strong cooked corn flavor....a spike of alcohol harshness....body is thin and watery...flavor is very light....I'm trying to decide if I can drink the whole case eventually...I think I can...ice cold...after working in the yard....

Not a good beer...has the character of an N.A....I guess on the plus side there are no truly horrible flavors to it...just real watery, adjuncty...and a hit of alcohol on the finish....

I'm OK with drinking Macros and even cheap macros like Schllitz and Hamms but this one doesn't cut it....

ZAP, May 21, 2004
1.63/5  rDev -11.4%

Clear light gold color. No carbonation whatsoever is apparant. A one finger white head leaves some decent lace as I drink. Weak nose of stale malts, aluminum and nothing. Tastes like cooked veggies, deionized water and a dilute mixture of Black Label, Shaeffer and Blatz. Oh yeah, there's a nice little penny coin taste as well that accents appropriately. This stuff is not for me.

ZAP, if you drink the rest of this case, I'll declare you an alcoholic.

Bighuge, Jun 09, 2004
1.73/5  rDev -6%

It was the 4th. While buying Rock, a staple at BBQ, saw this beer at only 1.99 for a 6 or 8.00 for a case. Two bucks, what the hell. If it's bad, I don't have to consume it. Put it in the big ice chest and sampled the first one when it was mildly cold.

While it appears to be a regular cheap beer and smells like a cheap beer making it average, when I tasted it... It had a metallic can taste and was a little skunky and harsh tasting. The only way I could desribe it is to take your least favorite beer, and drink it warm. Can't explain it any other way.

I didn't give up after one, I tried it again after a few rocks, and took a sip, and it was very skunky. Had to dump it. The only thing that kept this beer from getting a 1 in drinkablity was as the night wore on, I tried it again, had one that was ICE Cold. It went down quick and easy but I wasn't even tasting the beer at that point. Nobody else tried it. Good choice.

Ricochet, Jul 04, 2004

Appearance: Pale yellow, decent head. Particles floating around in the beer.

Smell: Wet stale hay.

Taste: Not much here, a little sweetness and then a little metallic bite.

Mouthfeel: Watery.

Drinkability: Easy to drink and made for drinking a lot.

A friend picked this up for $6 for a case. It was on clearance so who knows how old this was. This was not horrible, but not particularly good. I had about 4-5 of these and didn't get hung over, so that is one plus for this beer.

Mdog, Jun 03, 2007
Brew City Lager from Melanie Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.