Evil Eye - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBob on 11-10-2004)

1.75/5  rDev +14.4%

1.9/5  rDev +24.2%

A - Pours a very clear yellow with a massive white head that leaves no lacing. Hmmm pretty typical.

S - Only thing I can honestly think of from this scent is grapes and fusel alcohol.

T - Tastes exactly like a Jack Hammer from Melanie, But with a slight bit more of an alcohol burn at the end. Trust me, It isn't as bad as what you might think, depening on whether or now you're having a good time with your friends, or basing all of your reviews off Maxiums or Mad Hatter. Grapes and fusel galore, with a tad bit of malt and luckily no adjunct.

M - Heavy stinging carbonation with a medium to heavy body

O - Overall, It was very average for a malt liquor of this strenght. I'd have again if with I were with my friend's ( remember, I am in fact only 23 so I go to quite a bit of college parties ) No true complains. It's $1.19 for a 24 ouncer. No it isn't a craft beer, But if I'm heading up to EMU, WMU, MSU or U of M anytime soon you're damn right I'll be picking some of these up

1.5/5  rDev -2%

1.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one to tick! Thanks buddy! Served from bottle into a Duvel Kishimoto tulip (class it up!). Poured a golden pale yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, prune juice, and despair. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sugar, prune juice, corn, grain, alcohol, and crushed palate. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was definitely a terrible brew. Who in the Hell thought this would be a good idea to brew? There is a lot going on in this one and I have to be honest that I am not a fan of ANY of it. I could see this being cool as a novelty beer, but why the Hell would you put it in a 40 oz bottle? Come on guys… I could see being forced to sip on this one as an alternative to water-boarding. I would only ever get this one again to set at the back of my fridge and unleash its fury on an unsuspecting victim. If this is YOU reading this, avoid at all costs. If this is for a funny joke, definitely buy it and have the camera ready upon the first sip. You will thank me either way.

1.5/5  rDev -2%

2.88/5  rDev +88.2%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with an inch thick, fluffy head that lingers for a minute. Has nice lacing.

Smell - Very sweet, fruity-like wine smell.

Taste - Same as the smell.. Very sweet, actually kind of tarty. Basically tastes like cheap wine. There's a nasty alcohol bite in the aftertaste. But they cover it somewhat good for being 10% ABV.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - I wouldn't drink this twice.. but it's not the worst thing I've ever had.

1.55/5  rDev +1.3%

In my early days on Beer Advocate I read a (long since deleted) review of Evil Eye that boldly compared it’s wonder to that of Duvel. It was hands down the most hilarious review I’ve read on Beer Advocate, as well as one of the funniest things I’ve come across on any website. Being a fan of extremes (the best and worst in music, film, athletics, beer, etc.), I dreamed of one day cracking an Evil Eye for myself. I am now getting my chance courtesy of Jimmie Garant’s Party Store in Alpena, MI, where they have $15 cases of these 24 ounce cans stacked to the ceiling. The scene is so perfect that I just have to take a moment to stop and appreciate it. The can itself is fairly void of eye candy save for two green eyes staring back as if to say, “You are going to regret this.” For my own amusement I’m pouring this ice cold into a Duvel tulip.

The pour gives me a couple of fingers of ivory colored head. Head retention is poor initially as it dissipates with such volatility as to resemble a vinegar-baking soda volcano eruption. However, the head never fully disappears. Lacing adds a touch of attractiveness to the visual aesthetic. The brew is deep golden in color, not totally crystal clear, and overall darker than I was expecting from this malt liquor. A steady stream of tiny bubbles rise from the etched D on the bottom of my glass, making this the first brew poured into the glass that actually resembles the beer seen in Duvel adds. Not only is this not bad looking, but it is actually kind of appealing to the eyes. It’s easily the best looking malt liquor I’ve poured.

The aroma is primarily giving off a vibe of cider and dry wine. To be fair, it doesn’t smell bad, but it sure doesn’t smell like beer. That doesn’t bode well. It smells alcoholic, but does not burn the nostrils. I’m assuming that a fair boost in gravity was provided by sugar adjuncts, accounting for the cidery impression on the nose, as well as the complete lack of “beer smell“. Even to style I can’t say that the aroma works.

The first sip confirms that this beer is truly awful. Mild raisin and plum flavors remind me of a Belgian Quad, and that is the single positive attribute that I can report. The aforementioned dry wine manifests prominently in the flavor. Alcohol, though strongly noted, is much better hidden than I would have expected from a 10% ABV monster. Melon flavor comes to mind, as does maple syrup. Of themselves, those are not bad traits; unfortunately there is no balance to be found among them. To complete the awful, Evil Eye is very watery. Combine all of that with a complete dearth of malt flavor or hop presence and what you come up with is the worst beer I’ve yet tasted.

The feel is appropriately light. The carbonation level appears slightly on the low side but it helps to make this as unabrasive as possible. Alcohol does not at any point burn. To Evil Eye’s credit, at 10% ABV, it is much easier drinking than, say, Life & Limb. Overall I can only simply confirm what 50 other people have noted: that this is an awful beer. But it’s not even satisfyingly awful; it’s just bad without even being noteworthy. It is not even worthy of an ironic review. I don’t drain pour many beers, but of the ones that I have poured, this is the one that I’ve poured most apathetically.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I don’t give a Schlitz for this. Evil Eye simply means, “Looks are deceiving”.

2.58/5  rDev +68.6%

Despite a slightly sweet texture this beer is a kick in the mouth. It's what you can expect from any malt liquor with a 10.0% or greater ABV. By that I mean it's cringe-worthy. Something among sour grapes and water gathered from a mason jar that once held a pig-fetus. Personally, I don't find it too attractive. I used to settle for it in high school but my old buddies and I would spend the whole time talking about how nasty the stuff was. If you're desperate for a good buzz, however, it can get you there. Not exactly what I'd call worth it though.

1.48/5  rDev -3.3%

"2920" on the bottom of the can... hoping this isn't a year old already, but really doubt it matters in this case.

Into a mug it pours a clear urine gold, with a 1/4" of foam on the surface. A thin veil of skim lingers for a few minutes, and surprisingly after. Some spotty lace forms around the edges after a few sips. Audibly fizzy on the second pour, foam has a creamy surface texture.

Smells like sweet green apple jolly ranchers, cheap bum wine, and apple juice.

Tastes like shitty wine. White grapes, apple, astringency, and harsh fusels = instant bad beer face. Aftertaste is like licking a bunch of grape flavored envelopes, after the glue leaves your tongue numb. Waterlogged cereal grain and manila folders. Fizzy and astringent, loads of alcohol upfront, and hanging around until very unwelcome. Nasty wet cereal burps. Triggers an involuntary shudder upon drinking.

For some, i'd imagine it gets the job done. For any self-respecting individual, no. Maybe not the worst out there, but it's blindly scraping at the bottom of the barrel. Only for the masochistic.

1.13/5  rDev -26.1%

99 cents a can had me buying all 7 on the shelf. I'll pass the rest along in good time. after Cool Colt, this was my #2 most wanted. 24oz can subtitled 'Ojo Malo'.

1st .5l was poured into Swiss Boot, and enjoyed briskly. Sitting down with the last pour to review.

A- Pale pale pale, like light beer mixed with water. More pale than gold. Dish-soap white bubbly head that looks pretty nice and laces the boot nicely.

S- Cotton candy and white wine. *shudder*

T- The alcohol is hot and the beer is water-thin. There's a snap of stomach-turning sweetness, this is like distilled coors light. Again, I taste cotton candy and hobo wine. It's concentrated evil.

M- Sweet and sickening. So much grainy dead vegetable blarrrgh sugar syrup twangy sweetness. I had a few sips of this and had to exhale sharply. Decidedly not good times.

O- No, no, no. No. NO. I drank the full 24 oz, but only to prove to myself that I'm really that big of an asshole.

I should have waited a day. This is a perfect beer to open on 9-11.

1.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not sure why anyone thought this Malt Liquor thing was a good idea.

A - Fizzy yellow looking beer with a white head.

S - Get a lot of grapes in this one, slightly artificial. Some grain, fusel alcohol.

T - Pretty sweet, and initially went down fairly easily. It got worse somehow as I kept going. Some grape sweetness and a lot of grain. It isn't good, but it was great to wash that Sonoran 200 down with.

M - Fizzy, over carbonated, light.

O - It's a malt liquor, and it's not good. Don't drink this. Don't ever do one of these tastings either.

2.33/5  rDev +52.3%

First Annual(?) Chicago Malt Liquor Tasting. Can courtesy of coldmeat23 - you answered the call when others couldn't!

A - A finger of white foam sizzles to a thin ring, leaving behind no lace. Transparent golden body with tons of visible bubbles. This is very much the "standard" malt liquor appearance.

S - Grapes, grain, slightly rotten fruit, some alcohol, and a bit of metal as well (although perhaps that's because I was drinking from a can). Gets increasingly cloying with sweet corn as it warms up. Not particularly good, but still better than some of the other beers at the tasting.

T - Taste is actually a bit better. It's got a bit of grape flavor mingling with cereal grains, seltzer water and a bit of solvent alcohol in the finish. Surprisingly easy to drink for 10% though.

M - Fizzy medium body, like seltzer water with a bit more malt heft to it. Surprisingly well-hidden alcohol.

D - I'm actually hugely disappointed, as this was largely average (for the style). Perhaps it was the year of "cellaring" before I could finally get the tasting off the ground, but this didn't live up to the hype as being the worst beer on BA. I would drink this over Indian Wells any day of the week.

1.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Cool name, bad beer. I dunno what the deal is, but every 'evil eye' beer/spinoff I've had is terrible.

Yellow, frothy head that vanishes and leaves no trace. Smells like nothing but industrial corn.

No hops, sweet, barely recognizable as beer, fusel alcohol all over the place. Tastes like it was brewed in a garage, open fermentation and some shop tools fell into the batch. Or a vodka/beer blend, with sacharrin.

Just slam this as fast as you can once you get the feel for it. That's the only utility it has in the world.

1.63/5  rDev +6.5%

can picked up on my last trip to ohio. it looked odd so what the heck right how bad could it be?

Poured a dull orange straw color with no head and no lace. A decenr amount of of caronation coming up from the bottom. Smell was light grain and cornwith a touh of alcohol, not impressed, but was I expecting to be. Taste was rather bland as well, just a grainey malty cheap mess. Overall cmon man what do you expext. This was prety mch a forty, funny.

1.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Found my reviews for my Evil Eye group tasting. Poured from 24oz can.

A- Pours a golden straw yellow color. Half finger white head shows poor retention and dies pretty much on the spot as it shows. No lace at all on this beer when I drink it.

S- Tons of green apple smell right off the bat. I stepped away for a minute to let it breathe and then smelled it again. Green apple is still in the entire aroma profile but now there is lots of wet cereal grains. A little skunky in a backend. A hint of alcohol which took me be surprise as I expected a little bit more since it was a cheaper malt liquor.

T- This is interesting in the flavor profile. Strong green apple notes right off the bat. Also, a cooked veggie flavor comes in and dies a little before coming back with a fuller flavor. No hops in the beer that I can tell. The alcohol in this doesn't really ever come out and shine which I think is haulted by the soda water like carbonation and flavor in the ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is over the top but good for the style. Green apple and stale grains are left on the palate. Aftertaste is stale alcohol and green apple with a hint of soda water. Flavors are off center and not very balanced as the green apple flavor is king. This has some off flavors but this is mostly just the overall taste in general. Medium alcohol drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer is horrible. Well I don't think horrible is the right word to describe it. This is a terrible first beer of the night and for the tasting. The ABV is off putting making this beer a harder one to drink but the alcohol flavor isn't as big as I thought it would be. Still never want to try this beer at all ever again.

Evil Eye from Melanie Brewing Company