Evil Eye - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBob on 11-10-2004)
Reviews by brewbucker:
2.25/5  rDev +47.1%

Tasted on Nov 11, 2007. 24oz. can. I am sort of afraid to even try this one. The pour doesn't look too bad. Medium golden with a average head. Can't knock it down on appearance. Now for the aroma. Ummm. I think things are heading south a little. Odd aroma of rotting fruit and jet fuel. Touches of bananna (which I kind of like). I have smelled worse so I can't destroy it on aroma. Time to take a sip. Ok. Lets talk about this for a second. I have had worse. Actually I have had alot worse than this. There is a big boozy bananna flavor which isn't half bad. Plus it is strong. Trust me. I am not going to drink the whole can because I have to go to work tonight. But if I didn't have to work I just might polish it off.

1.02/5  rDev -33.3%

The appearance is your typical crap macro piss yellow little to no head and zero lacing

The smell isnt there much but from what i can smell its alot like my boxers after two hours at the gym

Taste reminds of of sour milk up front with a very nasty cheao malt taste afterwards that lingers until you brush your teeth

The mouthfeel is that of club soda absolutely nothing but carbonation

The drinklability between the taste/smell/ and abv is simply awful, if i can drink crown royal straight but had to pour this after 1/3 can that tells you something. Absolutley horrid save your money and get a pbr or something else instead if you want crap beer, at least pbr isnt offensive filth.

1.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Cool name, bad beer. I dunno what the deal is, but every 'evil eye' beer/spinoff I've had is terrible.

Yellow, frothy head that vanishes and leaves no trace. Smells like nothing but industrial corn.

No hops, sweet, barely recognizable as beer, fusel alcohol all over the place. Tastes like it was brewed in a garage, open fermentation and some shop tools fell into the batch. Or a vodka/beer blend, with sacharrin.

Just slam this as fast as you can once you get the feel for it. That's the only utility it has in the world.

Purchased from the Ice Box Convenient store in Steubenville, Ohio. Alongside many other malt liquors the green evil eyes stood out to me. Underneath Evil Eye on the label it states in spanish ojo malo. High gravity lager with no abv listed on the can only other info listed is brewed by Melanie Brewing in Cincinatti, OH along with the government warning. Appears a pale clear carbonated apple juice hue with a large bright white head that has large pea sized bubbles of carbonation and dwindles quick as hell. By the way it was a 1.99, that's a little steep for a 24 oz can of any malt liquor. I'd figure even at 10 percent abv we at least see a forty offering, which I've seen in the Burgh before. The smell is comprised of sweet alcoholic creamed corn with some green apple phenols added to the party. Flavor is ungodly such a gag inducing horribly made beer I may not be able to put it into words. First off cloyingly sweet creamed corn with burning alcohol in the throat is enough to make one gag, through in the tart apple with heavy carbonation and my stomach is a turning. You actually develop a headache while drinking this beer, this should be illegal, it sucks to feel like a prohibitionist. Mouthfeel is cloying with harsh carbonation and sticky residual sugars, what a rough ride. Drinkability is god awful no more about the evil eye please. It's nice to have fun at the the expense of this beer's shite factor.

1.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Mobb Deep. Al Capone. Evil Eye. All are infamous.

Pale gold in hue, not as sickly as expected. A steady stream of animation dances to the thin white head. At the apex the foam was one finger tall, it quickly faded to a tiny cap but this lid hung around a bit. I am surprised. There was even some spotty subsequent lacing. Overall, this is a fairly good looking beer.

Fairly potent nose, it is adjunct filled with some matly aromas as well. Not to mention the undercurrents of lemon. I don’t find the smells offensive but there is something about it I can’t put my finger on. For 10% abv I don’t detect much, if any, alcohol. I am shocked, for a malt liquor the nose is respectable… almost inviting (dare I say?). If nothing else I am curious…

April fools! Jokes on me! One sip and my god, how could the nose be so misleading. First of all, the flavors are dominated by alcohol and alcohol heat. Rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, peppermint, and rubber bands dominate the palate. I get hints of lemon. [Now that I’ve tasted this beer the pleasant adjuncty aroma is now more clearly noticed and I can no long say much nice about the nose. It is sickly alcoholic.] So is the palate. There is no sign of malt, hops, or “beeriness.” This beer has its reputation for a reason. It really does suck.

About medium in body, moderate carbonation but lively enough... not that it matters at this point. The mouthfeel is decent… at least swallowing removed the beer from the mouth but the aftertaste still lingers. Yikes!

Drinkable? No, not all. It is the antithesis of drinkable. Terrible. Maybe the worse (non-chili beer) beer I have had. I am shocked at how god awful it is. I purchased my 24-ounce can for $1.50. Never again. It was torture.

1.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one to tick! Thanks buddy! Served from bottle into a Duvel Kishimoto tulip (class it up!). Poured a golden pale yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, prune juice, and despair. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sugar, prune juice, corn, grain, alcohol, and crushed palate. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was definitely a terrible brew. Who in the Hell thought this would be a good idea to brew? There is a lot going on in this one and I have to be honest that I am not a fan of ANY of it. I could see this being cool as a novelty beer, but why the Hell would you put it in a 40 oz bottle? Come on guys… I could see being forced to sip on this one as an alternative to water-boarding. I would only ever get this one again to set at the back of my fridge and unleash its fury on an unsuspecting victim. If this is YOU reading this, avoid at all costs. If this is for a funny joke, definitely buy it and have the camera ready upon the first sip. You will thank me either way.

2.58/5  rDev +68.6%

Despite a slightly sweet texture this beer is a kick in the mouth. It's what you can expect from any malt liquor with a 10.0% or greater ABV. By that I mean it's cringe-worthy. Something among sour grapes and water gathered from a mason jar that once held a pig-fetus. Personally, I don't find it too attractive. I used to settle for it in high school but my old buddies and I would spend the whole time talking about how nasty the stuff was. If you're desperate for a good buzz, however, it can get you there. Not exactly what I'd call worth it though.

1.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Found my reviews for my Evil Eye group tasting. Poured from 24oz can.

A- Pours a golden straw yellow color. Half finger white head shows poor retention and dies pretty much on the spot as it shows. No lace at all on this beer when I drink it.

S- Tons of green apple smell right off the bat. I stepped away for a minute to let it breathe and then smelled it again. Green apple is still in the entire aroma profile but now there is lots of wet cereal grains. A little skunky in a backend. A hint of alcohol which took me be surprise as I expected a little bit more since it was a cheaper malt liquor.

T- This is interesting in the flavor profile. Strong green apple notes right off the bat. Also, a cooked veggie flavor comes in and dies a little before coming back with a fuller flavor. No hops in the beer that I can tell. The alcohol in this doesn't really ever come out and shine which I think is haulted by the soda water like carbonation and flavor in the ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is over the top but good for the style. Green apple and stale grains are left on the palate. Aftertaste is stale alcohol and green apple with a hint of soda water. Flavors are off center and not very balanced as the green apple flavor is king. This has some off flavors but this is mostly just the overall taste in general. Medium alcohol drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer is horrible. Well I don't think horrible is the right word to describe it. This is a terrible first beer of the night and for the tasting. The ABV is off putting making this beer a harder one to drink but the alcohol flavor isn't as big as I thought it would be. Still never want to try this beer at all ever again.

1.48/5  rDev -3.3%

"2920" on the bottom of the can... hoping this isn't a year old already, but really doubt it matters in this case.

Into a mug it pours a clear urine gold, with a 1/4" of foam on the surface. A thin veil of skim lingers for a few minutes, and surprisingly after. Some spotty lace forms around the edges after a few sips. Audibly fizzy on the second pour, foam has a creamy surface texture.

Smells like sweet green apple jolly ranchers, cheap bum wine, and apple juice.

Tastes like shitty wine. White grapes, apple, astringency, and harsh fusels = instant bad beer face. Aftertaste is like licking a bunch of grape flavored envelopes, after the glue leaves your tongue numb. Waterlogged cereal grain and manila folders. Fizzy and astringent, loads of alcohol upfront, and hanging around until very unwelcome. Nasty wet cereal burps. Triggers an involuntary shudder upon drinking.

For some, i'd imagine it gets the job done. For any self-respecting individual, no. Maybe not the worst out there, but it's blindly scraping at the bottom of the barrel. Only for the masochistic.

1.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Third-world third-class gutter swill. Good crack, nice appearance; that's where the positives on this one run short. Fusel-alcohol smells are apparent as soon as you open this shit. Smells like CHEAP. Its pretty poundable, though very, very bad tasting. I would wager that 0.1% or less of the population could actually finish a 40 of this shit. I got through half, I'm not ashamed to say. I was enjoying the strange buzz it provided, but my stomach was not feeling this one at all. If the brewmaster of "Melanie Brewing" was here right now i'd whack him across the eyes with a bo staff.

1.63/5  rDev +6.5%

can picked up on my last trip to ohio. it looked odd so what the heck right how bad could it be?

Poured a dull orange straw color with no head and no lace. A decenr amount of of caronation coming up from the bottom. Smell was light grain and cornwith a touh of alcohol, not impressed, but was I expecting to be. Taste was rather bland as well, just a grainey malty cheap mess. Overall cmon man what do you expext. This was prety mch a forty, funny.

1.4/5  rDev -8.5%

Presentation:
24 oz. can with creepy green eyes staring at me - challenging me to drink what I can only imagine is cheap drunkenness within. Poured into an imperial pint glass. Why though? Why am I doing this to myself?

Visual:
Straw gold body with dark yellow hues. Ridiculously bubbly like an over-carbonated fizzy soda. Thin white head that doesn't wanna stick around.

Aroma:
Malty booziness with funky skunk. A bit of grain like in a bud light, but too much alcohol/malt like in malt liquor. Not much more to say. No hops. No balance.

Taste:
Interesting. Light body of a lager, but heavy malt like an ale. Unfortunately, it is reminiscent of rotten fruit. Followed by gross seltzer/soda bitterness. There is a weird cooked veggie profile somewhere in the middle; maybe asparagus? Granted, the point of this beer is to inject as much alcohol into your body as fast as possible, but I still have to comment that there is way to much noticeable alcohol present on the palate. Boozy profile and aftertaste.

Overall:
Too much was sacrificed for the alcohol. Very unattractive to my tongue. Overly carbonated, and extremely unbalanced. I wouldn't even know where to begin in trying to pair this with food. Most likely would go great with cheap take-out or convenience store foods like microwaveable burritos. Eh? Maybe you won't notice all those preservatives with all that alcohol.

Cheers!

1.98/5  rDev +29.4%

Pale yellow with a dingy off white head of foam. The smell is creamed corn, green apple and fusel alcohol. The flavor is green apple skin and cheap vodka with plenty of sweet corn to get the ABV potent, the alcohol is hot in the finish. This stuff is pretty rank, the worst tasting malt liquor I've had in a while for sure.

1.6/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Strange can of beer I found at Buster's in Memphis TN.

Gold colored beer with a small white head.

Strong apple smell and sweet corn. This is stings the nose a bit.

Strong apple flavor the taste you get from using old malt in home brewing.

Verdict on both smell and taste is badly made Home Brew.

Mouthfeel is beer.

Not exactly what I would call drinkable. Hi Test bad home brew from a can. Try this once maybe.

1.1/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a combination of light malt sweetness, sour fruits and pungent alcohol.

T: Much like the smell leads you to expect, the taste has a strong sweet & sour flavor to it and a heavy alcohol burn right up front and tastes a lot like a bad champagne. The malt character is thin and there’s very little hops presence. The after-taste is sour.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not at all tasty, I had a hard time drinking the can that I had, not very filling which is about the only good thing I can say about it. Even if you’re a fan of malt liquors, which I’m not, I would not recommend this one.

1.68/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours orangey/gold with a tiny bubbled, frothy white cap. Some lace left after the head dies. Fusel aromas, corn and grain, lots of adjunct, and some veggie/ogange peel, but I have experienced worse. Pretty boozed up fusels are all over this puppy, corn, vegetal ,and citric acid flavours. Harsh and oily finish. Better than predicted, but not good. Thanks Chris!

1.4/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Evil Eye Ojo Malo came in a 24 oz black can with flourescent green eyes staring out at you. Pours a clear and pale yellow gold color. Tried coaxing some head with a vigoroud pour, but got nothing. Kind of sweet stale beer smell. Overly sweet flavor, overpowered by the 10% alcohol burn. Sticky, almost oily mouthfeel coats your mouth. Ice cold it was tolerable, but the contents of the can warmed up before I could finish. Even after sharing, had to pour the rest out.
Thanks for bring the cool looking can (not the beer) back from your trip to Wisconsin.

1.9/5  rDev +24.2%

A - Pours a very clear yellow with a massive white head that leaves no lacing. Hmmm pretty typical.

S - Only thing I can honestly think of from this scent is grapes and fusel alcohol.

T - Tastes exactly like a Jack Hammer from Melanie, But with a slight bit more of an alcohol burn at the end. Trust me, It isn't as bad as what you might think, depening on whether or now you're having a good time with your friends, or basing all of your reviews off Maxiums or Mad Hatter. Grapes and fusel galore, with a tad bit of malt and luckily no adjunct.

M - Heavy stinging carbonation with a medium to heavy body

O - Overall, It was very average for a malt liquor of this strenght. I'd have again if with I were with my friend's ( remember, I am in fact only 23 so I go to quite a bit of college parties ) No true complains. It's $1.19 for a 24 ouncer. No it isn't a craft beer, But if I'm heading up to EMU, WMU, MSU or U of M anytime soon you're damn right I'll be picking some of these up

2.4/5  rDev +56.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear gold. A flimsy 1/8 inch of head forms with the pour but dissipates immediately. No lace.

S - Although I'm sortta digging the aroma, it's nothing that I'd expect from a malt liquor. Smells more like hard cider than anything, HUGE on the green apple juice. A pinch of alcohol and a whisper of grain husk, but really this is a poor hard cider from the aroma standpoint.

T - More green apple. That's about all this beer is. Sweet, slightly sour green apple. Try as I might, I can get nothing out of this beer but green apple. It does gain half a point for concealing the alcohol well.

M - Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Loses half a point due to the sweetness becoming cloying.

D - Eh, it's ok but a poor example of a malt liquor. Far too sweet and fruity tasting to imbibe all evening, or even an entire 24 oz can. A unique example of the style, but a few sips is more than enough.

1.1/5  rDev -28.1%

This beer pours a golden brown and forms about two fingers worth of head. It smells kind of vinegarish.. hard to nail down what it smells like, other than bad. The taste is worse than the smell, believe it or not.. I really don't know how to describe it.. kind of like rancid pickles possibly? I tried to determine the mouthfeel, but leaving it in my mouth for extended periods made me want to gag.. Kinda reminds me of transmission fluid.. I really don't think this beer is very drinkable.. unless maybe if you could shotgun it or something..

1.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

There are two things that I like about this "beer." The first is that it had a surprisingly decent appearance with lots of active bubbles and some very good retention. The other is that nowhere on the can these guys make any claim that there are any "quality ingredients" or "purest hops" like some of these breweries try to fool the uninformed drinker with. They lay it out there, that this beer sucks but it has a lot of alcohol. That's exactly what you get here and very sweet beer with an unpleasant aftertaste, heavy in carbonation hardly appealing.

1.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Not even your wildest nighmares compare to what is held in a 40oz. bottle of Evil Eye.

This concoction smells of gasoline, and I am assuming that if you took a sip of gasoline it would taste exactly the same as Evil Eye.

I found this 40 in Denver, Colorado. The moment I saw the 10% ABV I had to try it.

The alcohol is all you can taste... it is extremely sweet, with very little taste in regards to hops, etc.

By the time I reached the top of the label I was buzzing. Cold sweats hit me when I reached the bottom of the label.

I am (not) proud to say that I finished this brew that was forged by Satan himself.

The next day I woke up with one of the worst hangovers I have ever had in my life.

Pay heed all who imbibe this Devil's Brew...

1.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not sure why anyone thought this Malt Liquor thing was a good idea.

A - Fizzy yellow looking beer with a white head.

S - Get a lot of grapes in this one, slightly artificial. Some grain, fusel alcohol.

T - Pretty sweet, and initially went down fairly easily. It got worse somehow as I kept going. Some grape sweetness and a lot of grain. It isn't good, but it was great to wash that Sonoran 200 down with.

M - Fizzy, over carbonated, light.

O - It's a malt liquor, and it's not good. Don't drink this. Don't ever do one of these tastings either.

Evil Eye from Melanie Brewing Company