Evil Eye - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBob on 11-10-2004)
View: Beers (25) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jimmah120

06-01-2013 06:36:13 | More by jimmah120
jsisko01

2.88/5  rDev +88.2%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with an inch thick, fluffy head that lingers for a minute. Has nice lacing.

Smell - Very sweet, fruity-like wine smell.

Taste - Same as the smell.. Very sweet, actually kind of tarty. Basically tastes like cheap wine. There's a nasty alcohol bite in the aftertaste. But they cover it somewhat good for being 10% ABV.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - I wouldn't drink this twice.. but it's not the worst thing I've ever had.

04-02-2012 00:24:01 | More by jsisko01
staticparadox

Missouri

2.58/5  rDev +68.6%

Despite a slightly sweet texture this beer is a kick in the mouth. It's what you can expect from any malt liquor with a 10.0% or greater ABV. By that I mean it's cringe-worthy. Something among sour grapes and water gathered from a mason jar that once held a pig-fetus. Personally, I don't find it too attractive. I used to settle for it in high school but my old buddies and I would spend the whole time talking about how nasty the stuff was. If you're desperate for a good buzz, however, it can get you there. Not exactly what I'd call worth it though.

02-05-2012 20:15:20 | More by staticparadox
PatrickJR

2.4/5  rDev +56.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear gold. A flimsy 1/8 inch of head forms with the pour but dissipates immediately. No lace.

S - Although I'm sortta digging the aroma, it's nothing that I'd expect from a malt liquor. Smells more like hard cider than anything, HUGE on the green apple juice. A pinch of alcohol and a whisper of grain husk, but really this is a poor hard cider from the aroma standpoint.

T - More green apple. That's about all this beer is. Sweet, slightly sour green apple. Try as I might, I can get nothing out of this beer but green apple. It does gain half a point for concealing the alcohol well.

M - Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Loses half a point due to the sweetness becoming cloying.

D - Eh, it's ok but a poor example of a malt liquor. Far too sweet and fruity tasting to imbibe all evening, or even an entire 24 oz can. A unique example of the style, but a few sips is more than enough.

01-13-2009 09:36:27 | More by PatrickJR
MasterSki

2.33/5  rDev +52.3%

First Annual(?) Chicago Malt Liquor Tasting. Can courtesy of coldmeat23 - you answered the call when others couldn't!

A - A finger of white foam sizzles to a thin ring, leaving behind no lace. Transparent golden body with tons of visible bubbles. This is very much the "standard" malt liquor appearance.

S - Grapes, grain, slightly rotten fruit, some alcohol, and a bit of metal as well (although perhaps that's because I was drinking from a can). Gets increasingly cloying with sweet corn as it warms up. Not particularly good, but still better than some of the other beers at the tasting.

T - Taste is actually a bit better. It's got a bit of grape flavor mingling with cereal grains, seltzer water and a bit of solvent alcohol in the finish. Surprisingly easy to drink for 10% though.

M - Fizzy medium body, like seltzer water with a bit more malt heft to it. Surprisingly well-hidden alcohol.

D - I'm actually hugely disappointed, as this was largely average (for the style). Perhaps it was the year of "cellaring" before I could finally get the tasting off the ground, but this didn't live up to the hype as being the worst beer on BA. I would drink this over Indian Wells any day of the week.

06-19-2011 16:08:32 | More by MasterSki
brewbucker

Wisconsin

2.25/5  rDev +47.1%

Tasted on Nov 11, 2007. 24oz. can. I am sort of afraid to even try this one. The pour doesn't look too bad. Medium golden with a average head. Can't knock it down on appearance. Now for the aroma. Ummm. I think things are heading south a little. Odd aroma of rotting fruit and jet fuel. Touches of bananna (which I kind of like). I have smelled worse so I can't destroy it on aroma. Time to take a sip. Ok. Lets talk about this for a second. I have had worse. Actually I have had alot worse than this. There is a big boozy bananna flavor which isn't half bad. Plus it is strong. Trust me. I am not going to drink the whole can because I have to go to work tonight. But if I didn't have to work I just might polish it off.

12-16-2008 20:55:03 | More by brewbucker
Maestro

2.25/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

This beer has awful written all over it. However, there is a little piece of me that keeps me coming back. That is the fact that this beer is so strong(10%abv) and one hardly notices that. Keep drinking this baby because you literally get your best bang for your buck. This is an all corn, high alcohol, low-hopped, yellow beer. Take it for what it is worth.

11-17-2005 03:42:35 | More by Maestro
grahamboudreaux

Tennessee

01-07-2013 18:11:29 | More by grahamboudreaux
gpcollen1

Connecticut

This one stands tall in an intimidating 24 oz can. Poured this one into my Sam Adams glass - is it worthy? Chilled in the cellar - about 44 degrees right now - and then an hour in the fridge. I probably should have set it outside so it got down to 20 or so.

Pours vitamin C deficient huron yellow with a mighty one inch head - quick to settle leaving lots of bubbly lacing. This beer is crystal clear - wow.

Aroma is oh so light with just a hint of light sweet malts - almost corn like sweetness.

This one hits the mouth with a bit of a roll of carbonation and then ushers in some sweetness. A very light sweetness with the tingle of the carbonation is about all I get here. NO real hops to speak of and none of the high octane characteristics that I thought I might get. I don't really catch the ABV whilst drinking this one.

The more I drink of this one the more the sweetness begins to bother me and make it tough to go back to the glass again. This beer is so foreign to me. I really do not know what to think. I can drink them - but do not want to really...

I am not sure how this gets Fs from folks but it definitely is 'not impressive'.

01-10-2009 23:56:15 | More by gpcollen1
gio540

Wisconsin

12-03-2011 05:57:36 | More by gio540
biggred1

Indiana

1.98/5  rDev +29.4%

Pale yellow with a dingy off white head of foam. The smell is creamed corn, green apple and fusel alcohol. The flavor is green apple skin and cheap vodka with plenty of sweet corn to get the ABV potent, the alcohol is hot in the finish. This stuff is pretty rank, the worst tasting malt liquor I've had in a while for sure.

08-10-2009 02:02:01 | More by biggred1
SometimesIfart

1.9/5  rDev +24.2%

A - Pours a very clear yellow with a massive white head that leaves no lacing. Hmmm pretty typical.

S - Only thing I can honestly think of from this scent is grapes and fusel alcohol.

T - Tastes exactly like a Jack Hammer from Melanie, But with a slight bit more of an alcohol burn at the end. Trust me, It isn't as bad as what you might think, depening on whether or now you're having a good time with your friends, or basing all of your reviews off Maxiums or Mad Hatter. Grapes and fusel galore, with a tad bit of malt and luckily no adjunct.

M - Heavy stinging carbonation with a medium to heavy body

O - Overall, It was very average for a malt liquor of this strenght. I'd have again if with I were with my friend's ( remember, I am in fact only 23 so I go to quite a bit of college parties ) No true complains. It's $1.19 for a 24 ouncer. No it isn't a craft beer, But if I'm heading up to EMU, WMU, MSU or U of M anytime soon you're damn right I'll be picking some of these up

02-11-2013 07:04:12 | More by SometimesIfart
BEERchitect

Kentucky

1.88/5  rDev +22.9%

Not a particularly good beer. Pours a medium straw color with medium carbonation. Fair head retention and legs. Aromas of Fruity Pebbles and cream corn all rolled in together. Flavor is only slightly better. High concentrations of corn sugar to acheive the 10% alcohol. Also has other cereal grains. Mild sweetness is covered by big vegetable, grain, and fusal alcohol flavors. Not particularly complex or balanced. An oxidized hop aroma (similar to skunkiness) also comes through in the flavor. Body is nearly syrupy and slick. Aftertaste is alcoholic and heated.

08-23-2005 17:08:41 | More by BEERchitect
sebaastionb

1.75/5  rDev +14.4%

05-24-2014 15:09:57 | More by sebaastionb
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.73/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a thin, wispy, white head.

Smell: Caustic chemical aroma with hints of corn and spoiled apple juice. Jesus.

Taste: Oddly sweet taste of stale corn and apple juice with a dash of isopropyl alcohol. Adjunky. No hop flavor or bitterness. Harsh finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Questionably tongue-coating mouthfeel.

Drinkability: No thanks. As for the Melanie Brewing Co., I will say they have enough testicles to keep churning out an endless array of malt liquors.

03-30-2008 05:02:03 | More by ChainGangGuy
CJfromPhilly

1.73/5  rDev +13.1%

Saw this sitting in the cooler while making a Friday Night beer run. Took one look at the 2 sinister looking disembodied eyes staring out at me and thought, "I GOTTA review this!!" Pours from the 24 oz. can into a plastic 16 oz. cup (why waste a glass on this?) a typical urine yellow with a large, pillowy head that settled into a small collar & stuck to the sides of the cup. Surprisingly low carbonation, I expected a lot more fizziness. Smell is sugary sweet. Taste matches the aroma, i'm sure they jacked the abv up to 10% by dumping loads of syrup into this stuff. It's not as bad as I expected, but still WAY too candy sweet. Mouthfeel is the usual lager wateriness. For the record, I bought this at the beginning of a run to pick up some takeout food, so it was in an un-air conditioned vehicle for about 30 minutes before sampling. It would probably be better ice cold, but not by much. At $1.49 for a 24 oz can this stuff will be a hit with broke-ass frat boys looking to get laid and homeless guys panhandling for change. If you're looking for a tasty, high quality beer to sip & savor, buy something else. If you want a quick cheap buzz, chug one ot these ice cold.

07-21-2006 23:45:39 | More by CJfromPhilly
mrmanning

Ontario (Canada)

1.68/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours orangey/gold with a tiny bubbled, frothy white cap. Some lace left after the head dies. Fusel aromas, corn and grain, lots of adjunct, and some veggie/ogange peel, but I have experienced worse. Pretty boozed up fusels are all over this puppy, corn, vegetal ,and citric acid flavours. Harsh and oily finish. Better than predicted, but not good. Thanks Chris!

11-28-2006 14:48:52 | More by mrmanning
Vancer

1.65/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Edit: I see that Zorro found this at Busters in Memphis, like me! What a small world!

Big ol' 2X4 of the Malo ojo, let's check this bad boy out. Hmm, pours a clear golden yellow, a decent white head pops up, but dies after a couple minutes.

Sour green apples in the aroma, evil malt a'lurking. Same sour mash apple cider in the quaff - a real funky monkey. Thin bodied, more malt liquor than beer. Cripe, is this a vile concoction, my stomach is turning into knots. Finishing this will be a challenge, but I'm up for it!

05-25-2009 19:09:38 | More by Vancer
Mdog

1.65/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Gold, fading head. Lots of particles of some sort--they're not hops, I don't think they're yeast, so what are they?

Smell: Grape, alcohol, somewhat like white wine.

Taste: Sweet but somewhat tart, green apple/grape wine-like flavor, alcohol.

Drinkability: I'm glad it's just a 16oz can and not a 40oz. I don't think this would be any good at all after warming.

Back when I used to live in Missouri we had poor beer selection. I used to drink nothing but hard liquor and cheap beer. I didn't get into 40's just because there really weren't too many of them around either. To re-live the old days, I bought this cheapo beer to give it a try with my slightly more developed tastes. It is drinkable but doesn't taste much like beer to me. It's almost like a white wine with more body. If you want a cheap buzz it's not too bad when cold.

03-25-2007 00:14:45 | More by Mdog
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.63/5  rDev +6.5%

can picked up on my last trip to ohio. it looked odd so what the heck right how bad could it be?

Poured a dull orange straw color with no head and no lace. A decenr amount of of caronation coming up from the bottom. Smell was light grain and cornwith a touh of alcohol, not impressed, but was I expecting to be. Taste was rather bland as well, just a grainey malty cheap mess. Overall cmon man what do you expext. This was prety mch a forty, funny.

02-28-2011 02:42:30 | More by mikesgroove
GCBrewingCo

1.63/5  rDev +6.5%

The beer poured into the glass ever so slightly hazy with a white and frothy head which rose quickly and fell to lace the glass.

The aroma was estery and cidery with a strong aroma of acetyaldehyde (fresh cut green apples). The applie aroma was so strong you could almost smell the core.

The flavor was malty with a strong alcohol flavor that really detracted from any enjoyment of the beverage. The alcohol coupled with more green apple flavor and even a slight spice phenolic from the alcohol led to a flavor that would not quickly forget.

The finish was just dry with a lasting green apple and alcoholic spice into the aftertate. The body was medium and the carbonation was enough to add a bit of creaminess to the mouthfeel. This beer was difficult to consume. The alcohol warming after consumption was very high and the beer was either boosted ABV with copious amounts of sugars at a high fermentation temp or the beer was prematurely separated from the yeast. In any case, I would suggest the faint of heart skip it and the rest might think about it a bit before shelling out 2 beans.

24 ounce master cylinder. $1.99 at Peace Street Market.

12-05-2005 23:02:12 | More by GCBrewingCo
Zorro

1.6/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Strange can of beer I found at Buster's in Memphis TN.

Gold colored beer with a small white head.

Strong apple smell and sweet corn. This is stings the nose a bit.

Strong apple flavor the taste you get from using old malt in home brewing.

Verdict on both smell and taste is badly made Home Brew.

Mouthfeel is beer.

Not exactly what I would call drinkable. Hi Test bad home brew from a can. Try this once maybe.

09-06-2009 17:57:01 | More by Zorro
AgentZero

1.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not sure why anyone thought this Malt Liquor thing was a good idea.

A - Fizzy yellow looking beer with a white head.

S - Get a lot of grapes in this one, slightly artificial. Some grain, fusel alcohol.

T - Pretty sweet, and initially went down fairly easily. It got worse somehow as I kept going. Some grape sweetness and a lot of grain. It isn't good, but it was great to wash that Sonoran 200 down with.

M - Fizzy, over carbonated, light.

O - It's a malt liquor, and it's not good. Don't drink this. Don't ever do one of these tastings either.

07-07-2011 19:22:57 | More by AgentZero
weizenbob

1.55/5  rDev +1.3%

In my early days on Beer Advocate I read a (long since deleted) review of Evil Eye that boldly compared it’s wonder to that of Duvel. It was hands down the most hilarious review I’ve read on Beer Advocate, as well as one of the funniest things I’ve come across on any website. Being a fan of extremes (the best and worst in music, film, athletics, beer, etc.), I dreamed of one day cracking an Evil Eye for myself. I am now getting my chance courtesy of Jimmie Garant’s Party Store in Alpena, MI, where they have $15 cases of these 24 ounce cans stacked to the ceiling. The scene is so perfect that I just have to take a moment to stop and appreciate it. The can itself is fairly void of eye candy save for two green eyes staring back as if to say, “You are going to regret this.” For my own amusement I’m pouring this ice cold into a Duvel tulip.

The pour gives me a couple of fingers of ivory colored head. Head retention is poor initially as it dissipates with such volatility as to resemble a vinegar-baking soda volcano eruption. However, the head never fully disappears. Lacing adds a touch of attractiveness to the visual aesthetic. The brew is deep golden in color, not totally crystal clear, and overall darker than I was expecting from this malt liquor. A steady stream of tiny bubbles rise from the etched D on the bottom of my glass, making this the first brew poured into the glass that actually resembles the beer seen in Duvel adds. Not only is this not bad looking, but it is actually kind of appealing to the eyes. It’s easily the best looking malt liquor I’ve poured.

The aroma is primarily giving off a vibe of cider and dry wine. To be fair, it doesn’t smell bad, but it sure doesn’t smell like beer. That doesn’t bode well. It smells alcoholic, but does not burn the nostrils. I’m assuming that a fair boost in gravity was provided by sugar adjuncts, accounting for the cidery impression on the nose, as well as the complete lack of “beer smell“. Even to style I can’t say that the aroma works.

The first sip confirms that this beer is truly awful. Mild raisin and plum flavors remind me of a Belgian Quad, and that is the single positive attribute that I can report. The aforementioned dry wine manifests prominently in the flavor. Alcohol, though strongly noted, is much better hidden than I would have expected from a 10% ABV monster. Melon flavor comes to mind, as does maple syrup. Of themselves, those are not bad traits; unfortunately there is no balance to be found among them. To complete the awful, Evil Eye is very watery. Combine all of that with a complete dearth of malt flavor or hop presence and what you come up with is the worst beer I’ve yet tasted.

The feel is appropriately light. The carbonation level appears slightly on the low side but it helps to make this as unabrasive as possible. Alcohol does not at any point burn. To Evil Eye’s credit, at 10% ABV, it is much easier drinking than, say, Life & Limb. Overall I can only simply confirm what 50 other people have noted: that this is an awful beer. But it’s not even satisfyingly awful; it’s just bad without even being noteworthy. It is not even worthy of an ironic review. I don’t drain pour many beers, but of the ones that I have poured, this is the one that I’ve poured most apathetically.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I don’t give a Schlitz for this. Evil Eye simply means, “Looks are deceiving”.

02-06-2012 23:10:30 | More by weizenbob
JISurfer

South Carolina

1.53/5  rDev 0%

Wow! Talk about a nasty beer! I saw the can, so I just had to have it, as I like to try different malt liquors. This one tasted a lot like MD 20/20's White Grape, but with less alcohol taste. The alcohol was actually fairly subtle for how much was in it. I guess if you are looking to drink a nasty brew, but get a quick buzz, this one should be your choice. If you like malt liquors that actually taste good, then stay away.

07-29-2006 02:21:09 | More by JISurfer