Evil Eye - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBob on 11-10-2004)
View: Beers (25) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Purchased from the Ice Box Convenient store in Steubenville, Ohio. Alongside many other malt liquors the green evil eyes stood out to me. Underneath Evil Eye on the label it states in spanish ojo malo. High gravity lager with no abv listed on the can only other info listed is brewed by Melanie Brewing in Cincinatti, OH along with the government warning. Appears a pale clear carbonated apple juice hue with a large bright white head that has large pea sized bubbles of carbonation and dwindles quick as hell. By the way it was a 1.99, that's a little steep for a 24 oz can of any malt liquor. I'd figure even at 10 percent abv we at least see a forty offering, which I've seen in the Burgh before. The smell is comprised of sweet alcoholic creamed corn with some green apple phenols added to the party. Flavor is ungodly such a gag inducing horribly made beer I may not be able to put it into words. First off cloyingly sweet creamed corn with burning alcohol in the throat is enough to make one gag, through in the tart apple with heavy carbonation and my stomach is a turning. You actually develop a headache while drinking this beer, this should be illegal, it sucks to feel like a prohibitionist. Mouthfeel is cloying with harsh carbonation and sticky residual sugars, what a rough ride. Drinkability is god awful no more about the evil eye please. It's nice to have fun at the the expense of this beer's shite factor.

10-27-2008 22:09:15 | More by WVbeergeek
Hendrick24

Wisconsin

06-27-2014 17:20:00 | More by Hendrick24
Hellblazer

07-21-2012 21:46:54 | More by Hellblazer
TastyTaste

This just came out in 40 oz. bottles down here, so last night I took "The Ride" (my nickname for drinking Evil Eye). Still the dark gold color with minimal head as the can was. Smell is as skunky and as sickly sweet and adjuncty as the canned version. Taste is absolutely aweful. Makes my skin crawl after each sip, just too much corny sweetness and skunky off flavors. Yuck. This is like an oddity of a beer. Something so vile and nasty that it's almost like running the gauntlet. If you survive, you probably won't want to drink this again.

04-28-2005 17:05:11 | More by TastyTaste

Whiskeydeez

Kansas

10-24-2013 22:41:07 | More by Whiskeydeez
chewyboy

This is hands down the worst beer I have ever drank. Wayyy to much alcohol makes the palate feel as if it's been a prisoner of war for 40 years. This one kid gave me a 40 of this and since it's 10% abv it definitely fucked me up, but I felt like ass all day the next day.

10-01-2008 01:00:41 | More by chewyboy

01-10-2012 17:09:32 | More by durwood64
jamesm7485

Colorado

1.02/5  rDev -33.3%

The appearance is your typical crap macro piss yellow little to no head and zero lacing

The smell isnt there much but from what i can smell its alot like my boxers after two hours at the gym

Taste reminds of of sour milk up front with a very nasty cheao malt taste afterwards that lingers until you brush your teeth

The mouthfeel is that of club soda absolutely nothing but carbonation

The drinklability between the taste/smell/ and abv is simply awful, if i can drink crown royal straight but had to pour this after 1/3 can that tells you something. Absolutley horrid save your money and get a pbr or something else instead if you want crap beer, at least pbr isnt offensive filth.

08-01-2008 01:48:11 | More by jamesm7485
feloniousmonk

1.02/5  rDev -33.3%

40 ounces, 1.18 liters (1 quart 8 fluid ounces), of high gravity lager. 10% alcohol volume....(this is all verbatim from the label)...a badass number when found in a good beer...hope I'm ready for this...

This was presented to me in the classic paper bag (thanks to my benefactor, TastyTaste), but for this assessment, I decant into a pint glass.

Click, ssshhh...off comes the cap, and out wafts a foul stink, pungent as any demon's stool. Or so I imagine. On closer inspection, it's an empty set of corn and fusel alcohol. This should come in a mason jar. Naked, but for the booze. Gets more fiery the longer it sits in the glass, though some fruit character, cherry in particular lingers in the mind to match the vegetal side. Not in any pleasant way, however. So very raw.

Appearance, a pale amber with the slimmest head.

Taste: GAH! Shit! What is this? Holy God! My head pounds already. The backdoor's busted and the alcohol comes booming in...with no pleasantries exchanged as it bursts in the room and goes apeshit on the furniture, trashing the happy home of the braincase. There's quiet in between tastes, but an unsettled rumbling continues. Drink again...

...boom! There it goes again, slamdancing into the softer sides of the brain. Raw, raw, raw, with no happiness found in the flavor. It's a rough corny, vegetal, grainy mess...not beer, just unrefined alcohol. Hot and fierce, a crass brute carousing his callous path all about the body, with every intent on messing with the mind. Scalds the senses.

...boom, boom, boom! He's kicking the walls in now, he's pounding on the floor, and throwing sledgehammers at the ceiling. He wants it all to come crashing down. Slight citrus taste emerges, or maybe that's me, searching somewhere for flavor. Wherever it appears, though, it remains utterly unpleasant. Harsh and horrible. Nothing redeeming in this whatsoever.

Halfway in, a feeling comes over me. I want to pick a fight with some motherfucker. But no-one's around but the cat. Here, kitty, kitty...you think you're so big...doncha...fuckin' kitty cat...ah'ma getchoo...

almost done with the 40 and I want to rain death on these mean streets, wash away the scum of the city, cleanse it with all of the awesome powers at my command...heat ray, laser eye, levitation, instantaneous combustion at will...stuff like that...yup, I'm so drunk I'm dealing death fantasies I never knew I had...

Who drinks this? People with a death wish on their brain cells?

It just occurred to me that I've probably spent more time and thought on this beer than the brewers have...outside of dreaming of dollar signs, imagining the riches gleaned from fleecing folks who want to obliterate their consciousness in a quickness at a minimal charge.

You should get a prize for finishing one these 40's. Why not the Presidential Medal of Freedom, that's easy enough to snag.
"Gettin' drunk off a Evil Eye 40? Slam dunk!"

05-11-2006 09:07:23 | More by feloniousmonk
nriech

1.08/5  rDev -29.4%

There isnt a method created yet that can make you drink this beaver pee fast enough to make it worth the pain. I didnt expect much for the dollar I got it for but I think I should be paid for pain and suffering.

And to make this a legit review:
Appearance was nothing spectacular. Golden color with lots of carbonation.. see even the bubles are trying to escape this witches brew. Head was about 2 inches dying off quickly. The smell is on par with a bud laced with vodka, the kind out of the plasic bottle.

The taste was like a sweet and sour Bud. The only use for this beer is either to play a joke on a knowledgable beer buddy or to drink after a root canal when you cant taste anyway.

03-30-2006 03:15:15 | More by nriech
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.1/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a combination of light malt sweetness, sour fruits and pungent alcohol.

T: Much like the smell leads you to expect, the taste has a strong sweet & sour flavor to it and a heavy alcohol burn right up front and tastes a lot like a bad champagne. The malt character is thin and there’s very little hops presence. The after-taste is sour.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not at all tasty, I had a hard time drinking the can that I had, not very filling which is about the only good thing I can say about it. Even if you’re a fan of malt liquors, which I’m not, I would not recommend this one.

07-12-2007 03:28:57 | More by TheManiacalOne
67cuda

Colorado

1.1/5  rDev -28.1%

This beer pours a golden brown and forms about two fingers worth of head. It smells kind of vinegarish.. hard to nail down what it smells like, other than bad. The taste is worse than the smell, believe it or not.. I really don't know how to describe it.. kind of like rancid pickles possibly? I tried to determine the mouthfeel, but leaving it in my mouth for extended periods made me want to gag.. Kinda reminds me of transmission fluid.. I really don't think this beer is very drinkable.. unless maybe if you could shotgun it or something..

12-30-2004 02:53:09 | More by 67cuda
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

1.13/5  rDev -26.1%

99 cents a can had me buying all 7 on the shelf. I'll pass the rest along in good time. after Cool Colt, this was my #2 most wanted. 24oz can subtitled 'Ojo Malo'.

1st .5l was poured into Swiss Boot, and enjoyed briskly. Sitting down with the last pour to review.

A- Pale pale pale, like light beer mixed with water. More pale than gold. Dish-soap white bubbly head that looks pretty nice and laces the boot nicely.

S- Cotton candy and white wine. *shudder*

T- The alcohol is hot and the beer is water-thin. There's a snap of stomach-turning sweetness, this is like distilled coors light. Again, I taste cotton candy and hobo wine. It's concentrated evil.

M- Sweet and sickening. So much grainy dead vegetable blarrrgh sugar syrup twangy sweetness. I had a few sips of this and had to exhale sharply. Decidedly not good times.

O- No, no, no. No. NO. I drank the full 24 oz, but only to prove to myself that I'm really that big of an asshole.

I should have waited a day. This is a perfect beer to open on 9-11.

09-10-2011 00:22:55 | More by ShogoKawada
kguyty

Missouri

1.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Not even your wildest nighmares compare to what is held in a 40oz. bottle of Evil Eye.

This concoction smells of gasoline, and I am assuming that if you took a sip of gasoline it would taste exactly the same as Evil Eye.

I found this 40 in Denver, Colorado. The moment I saw the 10% ABV I had to try it.

The alcohol is all you can taste... it is extremely sweet, with very little taste in regards to hops, etc.

By the time I reached the top of the label I was buzzing. Cold sweats hit me when I reached the bottom of the label.

I am (not) proud to say that I finished this brew that was forged by Satan himself.

The next day I woke up with one of the worst hangovers I have ever had in my life.

Pay heed all who imbibe this Devil's Brew...

08-02-2007 14:57:04 | More by kguyty
BeerBob

Nebraska

1.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Evil Eye "Ojo Malo" pours a bright gold from a clear 40oz glass bottle. Head goes to about two fingers before dropping to a broken ring with islands of foam near the center of the glass.

Smells like used engine degreaser that had been setting out in the midday sun too long.

Tastes like used engine degreaser that had not been setting in the midday sun long enough.

I have looked all over the bottle for the D.O.T. warning label, but could not find it.

This stuff is a tonsillectomy looking for a place to happen... or a do it yourself home lobotomy kit.

11-10-2004 04:29:43 | More by BeerBob
jjanega08

1.15/5  rDev -24.8%

I would write a formal review for this beer but it is not a very formal beer. I picked it up from Big Top on university by recommendation from a homeless guy who noticed I was looking at beer. I picked up a few extra for friends so I wouldn't have to do this alone. 10% ABV in a 40 oz.... Whoever created this is evil. It was only 2.29 for the forty too.

My buddy already had his cracked and took a few swigs by the time I showed up. He's not what you would call a "beer type". He tells me he likes it I crack the top keeping the beer in a nice looking paper bag in standard hobo fashion. I take a whiff of it. Hmmm smells really really sweet for some reason. I'm starting to sweat and get worried. I tip the beer to my lips and take a long pull. It hits me with a ton of sweetness at first. Then I swallow and if feels like paint thinner going down.

I'm horrified by the taste of this beer so I approach it from a new angle. Normally I let beer sit on my tongue for a second. The second sip however I open my throat and pour. Wow not nearly as bad. Then I burp and every bit of alcohol I tried to avoid came rolling out of my mouth like a dragon breathing fire.

I continued to drink hoping to finish this thing as soon as I could. Suddenly however it hits me like a ton of bricks. I'm drunk. My buddy and I are slurring words slumped over on the stoop outside of my apt.

I made it through the entire thing as did my buddy. I took the paper bag off the bottle to make sure it was finished. I threw the bad down and stared at it in a drunked daze. It lay on the ground slightly wet from the sweaty bottle looking very very similar to a used condom. The bottle was there staring at me with the evil eyes on the label and I thought to myself. Why the hell would anyone make this beer and if they did decide to make it why would you put this in a 40 oz.

I'm scared to evil eye and maybe to scared to ever trust a homeless buy again.

08-21-2010 21:39:16 | More by jjanega08
alleykatking

Indiana

1.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Found my reviews for my Evil Eye group tasting. Poured from 24oz can.

A- Pours a golden straw yellow color. Half finger white head shows poor retention and dies pretty much on the spot as it shows. No lace at all on this beer when I drink it.

S- Tons of green apple smell right off the bat. I stepped away for a minute to let it breathe and then smelled it again. Green apple is still in the entire aroma profile but now there is lots of wet cereal grains. A little skunky in a backend. A hint of alcohol which took me be surprise as I expected a little bit more since it was a cheaper malt liquor.

T- This is interesting in the flavor profile. Strong green apple notes right off the bat. Also, a cooked veggie flavor comes in and dies a little before coming back with a fuller flavor. No hops in the beer that I can tell. The alcohol in this doesn't really ever come out and shine which I think is haulted by the soda water like carbonation and flavor in the ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is over the top but good for the style. Green apple and stale grains are left on the palate. Aftertaste is stale alcohol and green apple with a hint of soda water. Flavors are off center and not very balanced as the green apple flavor is king. This has some off flavors but this is mostly just the overall taste in general. Medium alcohol drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer is horrible. Well I don't think horrible is the right word to describe it. This is a terrible first beer of the night and for the tasting. The ABV is off putting making this beer a harder one to drink but the alcohol flavor isn't as big as I thought it would be. Still never want to try this beer at all ever again.

01-09-2011 19:25:57 | More by alleykatking
MarkBlackout

Indiana

1.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Third-world third-class gutter swill. Good crack, nice appearance; that's where the positives on this one run short. Fusel-alcohol smells are apparent as soon as you open this shit. Smells like CHEAP. Its pretty poundable, though very, very bad tasting. I would wager that 0.1% or less of the population could actually finish a 40 of this shit. I got through half, I'm not ashamed to say. I was enjoying the strange buzz it provided, but my stomach was not feeling this one at all. If the brewmaster of "Melanie Brewing" was here right now i'd whack him across the eyes with a bo staff.

04-23-2005 20:53:13 | More by MarkBlackout
beer256

1.2/5  rDev -21.6%

i tried it just for shits and giggles and let me tell you.this beer is just to put you on your ass,not to be reviewed for appearance,smell,taste,mouthfeel or drinkability.just how hammered you can get from it.so if thats how the ratings went it would be an A++ but since its not,thumbs down
(super cheap beer should have there own rating system)

12-28-2009 00:25:19 | More by beer256
rodrot

1.2/5  rDev -21.6%

This beer poured the standard pale yellow color with a large head that went away rather quickly. The aroma is of corn, rotting vegetables and alcohol. The taste of this beer is a mixture of strong alcohol and sweetness that is very unappealing. Why did I waste $1.19 on this stuff? It ended up going down the drain after 3 or 4 swallows. Consequently, I think this beer belongs in the Malt Liquor category due to it's strength and it's intended consumer. The artwork on the can is clearly reaching out to people who drink beer out of a paper bag.

03-06-2006 19:06:44 | More by rodrot
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Cool name, bad beer. I dunno what the deal is, but every 'evil eye' beer/spinoff I've had is terrible.

Yellow, frothy head that vanishes and leaves no trace. Smells like nothing but industrial corn.

No hops, sweet, barely recognizable as beer, fusel alcohol all over the place. Tastes like it was brewed in a garage, open fermentation and some shop tools fell into the batch. Or a vodka/beer blend, with sacharrin.

Just slam this as fast as you can once you get the feel for it. That's the only utility it has in the world.

04-16-2011 05:59:59 | More by Beerandraiderfan
thagr81us

South Carolina

1.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one to tick! Thanks buddy! Served from bottle into a Duvel Kishimoto tulip (class it up!). Poured a golden pale yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, prune juice, and despair. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sugar, prune juice, corn, grain, alcohol, and crushed palate. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was definitely a terrible brew. Who in the Hell thought this would be a good idea to brew? There is a lot going on in this one and I have to be honest that I am not a fan of ANY of it. I could see this being cool as a novelty beer, but why the Hell would you put it in a 40 oz bottle? Come on guys… I could see being forced to sip on this one as an alternative to water-boarding. I would only ever get this one again to set at the back of my fridge and unleash its fury on an unsuspecting victim. If this is YOU reading this, avoid at all costs. If this is for a funny joke, definitely buy it and have the camera ready upon the first sip. You will thank me either way.

09-15-2012 14:16:38 | More by thagr81us