Evil Eye - Melanie Brewing Company

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBob on 11-10-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.88/5  rDev +20.5%

Not a particularly good beer. Pours a medium straw color with medium carbonation. Fair head retention and legs. Aromas of Fruity Pebbles and cream corn all rolled in together. Flavor is only slightly better. High concentrations of corn sugar to acheive the 10% alcohol. Also has other cereal grains. Mild sweetness is covered by big vegetable, grain, and fusal alcohol flavors. Not particularly complex or balanced. An oxidized hop aroma (similar to skunkiness) also comes through in the flavor. Body is nearly syrupy and slick. Aftertaste is alcoholic and heated. (564 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -1.9%

"2920" on the bottom of the can... hoping this isn't a year old already, but really doubt it matters in this case.

Into a mug it pours a clear urine gold, with a 1/4" of foam on the surface. A thin veil of skim lingers for a few minutes, and surprisingly after. Some spotty lace forms around the edges after a few sips. Audibly fizzy on the second pour, foam has a creamy surface texture.

Smells like sweet green apple jolly ranchers, cheap bum wine, and apple juice.

Tastes like shitty wine. White grapes, apple, astringency, and harsh fusels = instant bad beer face. Aftertaste is like licking a bunch of grape flavored envelopes, after the glue leaves your tongue numb. Waterlogged cereal grain and manila folders. Fizzy and astringent, loads of alcohol upfront, and hanging around until very unwelcome. Nasty wet cereal burps. Triggers an involuntary shudder upon drinking.

For some, i'd imagine it gets the job done. For any self-respecting individual, no. Maybe not the worst out there, but it's blindly scraping at the bottom of the barrel. Only for the masochistic. (1,079 characters)

1.64/5  rDev +5.1%

can picked up on my last trip to ohio. it looked odd so what the heck right how bad could it be?

Poured a dull orange straw color with no head and no lace. A decenr amount of of caronation coming up from the bottom. Smell was light grain and cornwith a touh of alcohol, not impressed, but was I expecting to be. Taste was rather bland as well, just a grainey malty cheap mess. Overall cmon man what do you expext. This was prety mch a forty, funny. (449 characters)

1.74/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a thin, wispy, white head.

Smell: Caustic chemical aroma with hints of corn and spoiled apple juice. Jesus.

Taste: Oddly sweet taste of stale corn and apple juice with a dash of isopropyl alcohol. Adjunky. No hop flavor or bitterness. Harsh finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Questionably tongue-coating mouthfeel.

Drinkability: No thanks. As for the Melanie Brewing Co., I will say they have enough testicles to keep churning out an endless array of malt liquors. (531 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a combination of light malt sweetness, sour fruits and pungent alcohol.

T: Much like the smell leads you to expect, the taste has a strong sweet & sour flavor to it and a heavy alcohol burn right up front and tastes a lot like a bad champagne. The malt character is thin and there’s very little hops presence. The after-taste is sour.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not at all tasty, I had a hard time drinking the can that I had, not very filling which is about the only good thing I can say about it. Even if you’re a fan of malt liquors, which I’m not, I would not recommend this one. (850 characters)

Purchased from the Ice Box Convenient store in Steubenville, Ohio. Alongside many other malt liquors the green evil eyes stood out to me. Underneath Evil Eye on the label it states in spanish ojo malo. High gravity lager with no abv listed on the can only other info listed is brewed by Melanie Brewing in Cincinatti, OH along with the government warning. Appears a pale clear carbonated apple juice hue with a large bright white head that has large pea sized bubbles of carbonation and dwindles quick as hell. By the way it was a 1.99, that's a little steep for a 24 oz can of any malt liquor. I'd figure even at 10 percent abv we at least see a forty offering, which I've seen in the Burgh before. The smell is comprised of sweet alcoholic creamed corn with some green apple phenols added to the party. Flavor is ungodly such a gag inducing horribly made beer I may not be able to put it into words. First off cloyingly sweet creamed corn with burning alcohol in the throat is enough to make one gag, through in the tart apple with heavy carbonation and my stomach is a turning. You actually develop a headache while drinking this beer, this should be illegal, it sucks to feel like a prohibitionist. Mouthfeel is cloying with harsh carbonation and sticky residual sugars, what a rough ride. Drinkability is god awful no more about the evil eye please. It's nice to have fun at the the expense of this beer's shite factor. (1,424 characters)

2.31/5  rDev +48.1%

First Annual(?) Chicago Malt Liquor Tasting. Can courtesy of coldmeat23 - you answered the call when others couldn't!

A - A finger of white foam sizzles to a thin ring, leaving behind no lace. Transparent golden body with tons of visible bubbles. This is very much the "standard" malt liquor appearance.

S - Grapes, grain, slightly rotten fruit, some alcohol, and a bit of metal as well (although perhaps that's because I was drinking from a can). Gets increasingly cloying with sweet corn as it warms up. Not particularly good, but still better than some of the other beers at the tasting.

T - Taste is actually a bit better. It's got a bit of grape flavor mingling with cereal grains, seltzer water and a bit of solvent alcohol in the finish. Surprisingly easy to drink for 10% though.

M - Fizzy medium body, like seltzer water with a bit more malt heft to it. Surprisingly well-hidden alcohol.

D - I'm actually hugely disappointed, as this was largely average (for the style). Perhaps it was the year of "cellaring" before I could finally get the tasting off the ground, but this didn't live up to the hype as being the worst beer on BA. I would drink this over Indian Wells any day of the week. (1,203 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -34%

40 ounces, 1.18 liters (1 quart 8 fluid ounces), of high gravity lager. 10% alcohol volume....(this is all verbatim from the label)...a badass number when found in a good beer...hope I'm ready for this...

This was presented to me in the classic paper bag (thanks to my benefactor, TastyTaste), but for this assessment, I decant into a pint glass.

Click, ssshhh...off comes the cap, and out wafts a foul stink, pungent as any demon's stool. Or so I imagine. On closer inspection, it's an empty set of corn and fusel alcohol. This should come in a mason jar. Naked, but for the booze. Gets more fiery the longer it sits in the glass, though some fruit character, cherry in particular lingers in the mind to match the vegetal side. Not in any pleasant way, however. So very raw.

Appearance, a pale amber with the slimmest head.

Taste: GAH! Shit! What is this? Holy God! My head pounds already. The backdoor's busted and the alcohol comes booming in...with no pleasantries exchanged as it bursts in the room and goes apeshit on the furniture, trashing the happy home of the braincase. There's quiet in between tastes, but an unsettled rumbling continues. Drink again...

...boom! There it goes again, slamdancing into the softer sides of the brain. Raw, raw, raw, with no happiness found in the flavor. It's a rough corny, vegetal, grainy mess...not beer, just unrefined alcohol. Hot and fierce, a crass brute carousing his callous path all about the body, with every intent on messing with the mind. Scalds the senses.

...boom, boom, boom! He's kicking the walls in now, he's pounding on the floor, and throwing sledgehammers at the ceiling. He wants it all to come crashing down. Slight citrus taste emerges, or maybe that's me, searching somewhere for flavor. Wherever it appears, though, it remains utterly unpleasant. Harsh and horrible. Nothing redeeming in this whatsoever.

Halfway in, a feeling comes over me. I want to pick a fight with some motherfucker. But no-one's around but the cat. Here, kitty, kitty...you think you're so big...doncha...fuckin' kitty cat...ah'ma getchoo...

almost done with the 40 and I want to rain death on these mean streets, wash away the scum of the city, cleanse it with all of the awesome powers at my command...heat ray, laser eye, levitation, instantaneous combustion at will...stuff like that...yup, I'm so drunk I'm dealing death fantasies I never knew I had...

Who drinks this? People with a death wish on their brain cells?

It just occurred to me that I've probably spent more time and thought on this beer than the brewers have...outside of dreaming of dollar signs, imagining the riches gleaned from fleecing folks who want to obliterate their consciousness in a quickness at a minimal charge.

You should get a prize for finishing one these 40's. Why not the Presidential Medal of Freedom, that's easy enough to snag.
"Gettin' drunk off a Evil Eye 40? Slam dunk!" (2,944 characters)

1.61/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Strange can of beer I found at Buster's in Memphis TN.

Gold colored beer with a small white head.

Strong apple smell and sweet corn. This is stings the nose a bit.

Strong apple flavor the taste you get from using old malt in home brewing.

Verdict on both smell and taste is badly made Home Brew.

Mouthfeel is beer.

Not exactly what I would call drinkable. Hi Test bad home brew from a can. Try this once maybe. (416 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -12.8%

Cool name, bad beer. I dunno what the deal is, but every 'evil eye' beer/spinoff I've had is terrible.

Yellow, frothy head that vanishes and leaves no trace. Smells like nothing but industrial corn.

No hops, sweet, barely recognizable as beer, fusel alcohol all over the place. Tastes like it was brewed in a garage, open fermentation and some shop tools fell into the batch. Or a vodka/beer blend, with sacharrin.

Just slam this as fast as you can once you get the feel for it. That's the only utility it has in the world. (527 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -12.8%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one to tick! Thanks buddy! Served from bottle into a Duvel Kishimoto tulip (class it up!). Poured a golden pale yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, prune juice, and despair. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sugar, prune juice, corn, grain, alcohol, and crushed palate. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was definitely a terrible brew. Who in the Hell thought this would be a good idea to brew? There is a lot going on in this one and I have to be honest that I am not a fan of ANY of it. I could see this being cool as a novelty beer, but why the Hell would you put it in a 40 oz bottle? Come on guys… I could see being forced to sip on this one as an alternative to water-boarding. I would only ever get this one again to set at the back of my fridge and unleash its fury on an unsuspecting victim. If this is YOU reading this, avoid at all costs. If this is for a funny joke, definitely buy it and have the camera ready upon the first sip. You will thank me either way. (1,206 characters)

1.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not sure why anyone thought this Malt Liquor thing was a good idea.

A - Fizzy yellow looking beer with a white head.

S - Get a lot of grapes in this one, slightly artificial. Some grain, fusel alcohol.

T - Pretty sweet, and initially went down fairly easily. It got worse somehow as I kept going. Some grape sweetness and a lot of grain. It isn't good, but it was great to wash that Sonoran 200 down with.

M - Fizzy, over carbonated, light.

O - It's a malt liquor, and it's not good. Don't drink this. Don't ever do one of these tastings either. (550 characters)

1.68/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Edit: I see that Zorro found this at Busters in Memphis, like me! What a small world!

Big ol' 2X4 of the Malo ojo, let's check this bad boy out. Hmm, pours a clear golden yellow, a decent white head pops up, but dies after a couple minutes.

Sour green apples in the aroma, evil malt a'lurking. Same sour mash apple cider in the quaff - a real funky monkey. Thin bodied, more malt liquor than beer. Cripe, is this a vile concoction, my stomach is turning into knots. Finishing this will be a challenge, but I'm up for it! (522 characters)

1.71/5  rDev +9.6%

The beer poured into the glass ever so slightly hazy with a white and frothy head which rose quickly and fell to lace the glass.

The aroma was estery and cidery with a strong aroma of acetyaldehyde (fresh cut green apples). The applie aroma was so strong you could almost smell the core.

The flavor was malty with a strong alcohol flavor that really detracted from any enjoyment of the beverage. The alcohol coupled with more green apple flavor and even a slight spice phenolic from the alcohol led to a flavor that would not quickly forget.

The finish was just dry with a lasting green apple and alcoholic spice into the aftertate. The body was medium and the carbonation was enough to add a bit of creaminess to the mouthfeel. This beer was difficult to consume. The alcohol warming after consumption was very high and the beer was either boosted ABV with copious amounts of sugars at a high fermentation temp or the beer was prematurely separated from the yeast. In any case, I would suggest the faint of heart skip it and the rest might think about it a bit before shelling out 2 beans.

24 ounce master cylinder. $1.99 at Peace Street Market. (1,158 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Evil Eye Ojo Malo came in a 24 oz black can with flourescent green eyes staring out at you. Pours a clear and pale yellow gold color. Tried coaxing some head with a vigoroud pour, but got nothing. Kind of sweet stale beer smell. Overly sweet flavor, overpowered by the 10% alcohol burn. Sticky, almost oily mouthfeel coats your mouth. Ice cold it was tolerable, but the contents of the can warmed up before I could finish. Even after sharing, had to pour the rest out.
Thanks for bring the cool looking can (not the beer) back from your trip to Wisconsin. (556 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -4.5%

Mobb Deep. Al Capone. Evil Eye. All are infamous.

Pale gold in hue, not as sickly as expected. A steady stream of animation dances to the thin white head. At the apex the foam was one finger tall, it quickly faded to a tiny cap but this lid hung around a bit. I am surprised. There was even some spotty subsequent lacing. Overall, this is a fairly good looking beer.

Fairly potent nose, it is adjunct filled with some matly aromas as well. Not to mention the undercurrents of lemon. I don’t find the smells offensive but there is something about it I can’t put my finger on. For 10% abv I don’t detect much, if any, alcohol. I am shocked, for a malt liquor the nose is respectable… almost inviting (dare I say?). If nothing else I am curious…

April fools! Jokes on me! One sip and my god, how could the nose be so misleading. First of all, the flavors are dominated by alcohol and alcohol heat. Rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, peppermint, and rubber bands dominate the palate. I get hints of lemon. [Now that I’ve tasted this beer the pleasant adjuncty aroma is now more clearly noticed and I can no long say much nice about the nose. It is sickly alcoholic.] So is the palate. There is no sign of malt, hops, or “beeriness.” This beer has its reputation for a reason. It really does suck.

About medium in body, moderate carbonation but lively enough... not that it matters at this point. The mouthfeel is decent… at least swallowing removed the beer from the mouth but the aftertaste still lingers. Yikes!

Drinkable? No, not all. It is the antithesis of drinkable. Terrible. Maybe the worse (non-chili beer) beer I have had. I am shocked at how god awful it is. I purchased my 24-ounce can for $1.50. Never again. It was torture. (1,761 characters)

This just came out in 40 oz. bottles down here, so last night I took "The Ride" (my nickname for drinking Evil Eye). Still the dark gold color with minimal head as the can was. Smell is as skunky and as sickly sweet and adjuncty as the canned version. Taste is absolutely aweful. Makes my skin crawl after each sip, just too much corny sweetness and skunky off flavors. Yuck. This is like an oddity of a beer. Something so vile and nasty that it's almost like running the gauntlet. If you survive, you probably won't want to drink this again. (542 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I like the idea of malt liquor in a can. It is a smaller ration and you can't see what's inside. This one has an especially cool design as well. That unfortunatle was the last of the good. A yellow color with a weak white head. Nose and taste are of bitter grains and alcohol. The body is light and fizzy. Not a fan. (316 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Found my reviews for my Evil Eye group tasting. Poured from 24oz can.

A- Pours a golden straw yellow color. Half finger white head shows poor retention and dies pretty much on the spot as it shows. No lace at all on this beer when I drink it.

S- Tons of green apple smell right off the bat. I stepped away for a minute to let it breathe and then smelled it again. Green apple is still in the entire aroma profile but now there is lots of wet cereal grains. A little skunky in a backend. A hint of alcohol which took me be surprise as I expected a little bit more since it was a cheaper malt liquor.

T- This is interesting in the flavor profile. Strong green apple notes right off the bat. Also, a cooked veggie flavor comes in and dies a little before coming back with a fuller flavor. No hops in the beer that I can tell. The alcohol in this doesn't really ever come out and shine which I think is haulted by the soda water like carbonation and flavor in the ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is over the top but good for the style. Green apple and stale grains are left on the palate. Aftertaste is stale alcohol and green apple with a hint of soda water. Flavors are off center and not very balanced as the green apple flavor is king. This has some off flavors but this is mostly just the overall taste in general. Medium alcohol drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer is horrible. Well I don't think horrible is the right word to describe it. This is a terrible first beer of the night and for the tasting. The ABV is off putting making this beer a harder one to drink but the alcohol flavor isn't as big as I thought it would be. Still never want to try this beer at all ever again. (1,712 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Wow! Talk about a nasty beer! I saw the can, so I just had to have it, as I like to try different malt liquors. This one tasted a lot like MD 20/20's White Grape, but with less alcohol taste. The alcohol was actually fairly subtle for how much was in it. I guess if you are looking to drink a nasty brew, but get a quick buzz, this one should be your choice. If you like malt liquors that actually taste good, then stay away. (425 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from an evil black can into an imperial pint glass. A nice looking beer. Lots of bubble, godd sized head with nice retention and good lacing.

Smells of apple cider...vinegar. Not too pleasing for the nose hairs. Most are singed now (I needed a trimming anyway.). I think I caught a whiff of some grain or fruit.

Taste is pretty horrific. After four itty bitty sips, this ojo malo went debajo de draino.

Now I will have to work an extra 43 seconds tomorrow to earn my $1.09 I spent on this punto! (508 characters)

1.68/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Gold, fading head. Lots of particles of some sort--they're not hops, I don't think they're yeast, so what are they?

Smell: Grape, alcohol, somewhat like white wine.

Taste: Sweet but somewhat tart, green apple/grape wine-like flavor, alcohol.

Drinkability: I'm glad it's just a 16oz can and not a 40oz. I don't think this would be any good at all after warming.

Back when I used to live in Missouri we had poor beer selection. I used to drink nothing but hard liquor and cheap beer. I didn't get into 40's just because there really weren't too many of them around either. To re-live the old days, I bought this cheapo beer to give it a try with my slightly more developed tastes. It is drinkable but doesn't taste much like beer to me. It's almost like a white wine with more body. If you want a cheap buzz it's not too bad when cold. (849 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

24oz. can that was only a .99 at a local grocery store.

The only good thing about this beer was the appearance and goes straight down hill from here. It poured a pale yellow color with a nice head of foam on it. A slight sweet corn smell with a strong alcohol background. I didn't know a smell could burn my nose until I got a whiff of this stuff. The taste was that of cough syrup. So, if you have a bad cold, drink this stuff and go to sleep. The only mouthfeel is strong alcohol. I didn't expect much from a cheap beer. If your in the mood for a cheap alternative to cough syrup and looking to get drunk, then by all means drink this swill! (647 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -25%

I would write a formal review for this beer but it is not a very formal beer. I picked it up from Big Top on university by recommendation from a homeless guy who noticed I was looking at beer. I picked up a few extra for friends so I wouldn't have to do this alone. 10% ABV in a 40 oz.... Whoever created this is evil. It was only 2.29 for the forty too.

My buddy already had his cracked and took a few swigs by the time I showed up. He's not what you would call a "beer type". He tells me he likes it I crack the top keeping the beer in a nice looking paper bag in standard hobo fashion. I take a whiff of it. Hmmm smells really really sweet for some reason. I'm starting to sweat and get worried. I tip the beer to my lips and take a long pull. It hits me with a ton of sweetness at first. Then I swallow and if feels like paint thinner going down.

I'm horrified by the taste of this beer so I approach it from a new angle. Normally I let beer sit on my tongue for a second. The second sip however I open my throat and pour. Wow not nearly as bad. Then I burp and every bit of alcohol I tried to avoid came rolling out of my mouth like a dragon breathing fire.

I continued to drink hoping to finish this thing as soon as I could. Suddenly however it hits me like a ton of bricks. I'm drunk. My buddy and I are slurring words slumped over on the stoop outside of my apt.

I made it through the entire thing as did my buddy. I took the paper bag off the bottle to make sure it was finished. I threw the bad down and stared at it in a drunked daze. It lay on the ground slightly wet from the sweaty bottle looking very very similar to a used condom. The bottle was there staring at me with the evil eyes on the label and I thought to myself. Why the hell would anyone make this beer and if they did decide to make it why would you put this in a 40 oz.

I'm scared to evil eye and maybe to scared to ever trust a homeless buy again. (1,934 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -26.3%

99 cents a can had me buying all 7 on the shelf. I'll pass the rest along in good time. after Cool Colt, this was my #2 most wanted. 24oz can subtitled 'Ojo Malo'.

1st .5l was poured into Swiss Boot, and enjoyed briskly. Sitting down with the last pour to review.

A- Pale pale pale, like light beer mixed with water. More pale than gold. Dish-soap white bubbly head that looks pretty nice and laces the boot nicely.

S- Cotton candy and white wine. *shudder*

T- The alcohol is hot and the beer is water-thin. There's a snap of stomach-turning sweetness, this is like distilled coors light. Again, I taste cotton candy and hobo wine. It's concentrated evil.

M- Sweet and sickening. So much grainy dead vegetable blarrrgh sugar syrup twangy sweetness. I had a few sips of this and had to exhale sharply. Decidedly not good times.

O- No, no, no. No. NO. I drank the full 24 oz, but only to prove to myself that I'm really that big of an asshole.

I should have waited a day. This is a perfect beer to open on 9-11. (1,021 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast