Evil Eye - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBob on 11-10-2004)
1.15/5  rDev -24.8%

I would write a formal review for this beer but it is not a very formal beer. I picked it up from Big Top on university by recommendation from a homeless guy who noticed I was looking at beer. I picked up a few extra for friends so I wouldn't have to do this alone. 10% ABV in a 40 oz.... Whoever created this is evil. It was only 2.29 for the forty too.

My buddy already had his cracked and took a few swigs by the time I showed up. He's not what you would call a "beer type". He tells me he likes it I crack the top keeping the beer in a nice looking paper bag in standard hobo fashion. I take a whiff of it. Hmmm smells really really sweet for some reason. I'm starting to sweat and get worried. I tip the beer to my lips and take a long pull. It hits me with a ton of sweetness at first. Then I swallow and if feels like paint thinner going down.

I'm horrified by the taste of this beer so I approach it from a new angle. Normally I let beer sit on my tongue for a second. The second sip however I open my throat and pour. Wow not nearly as bad. Then I burp and every bit of alcohol I tried to avoid came rolling out of my mouth like a dragon breathing fire.

I continued to drink hoping to finish this thing as soon as I could. Suddenly however it hits me like a ton of bricks. I'm drunk. My buddy and I are slurring words slumped over on the stoop outside of my apt.

I made it through the entire thing as did my buddy. I took the paper bag off the bottle to make sure it was finished. I threw the bad down and stared at it in a drunked daze. It lay on the ground slightly wet from the sweaty bottle looking very very similar to a used condom. The bottle was there staring at me with the evil eyes on the label and I thought to myself. Why the hell would anyone make this beer and if they did decide to make it why would you put this in a 40 oz.

I'm scared to evil eye and maybe to scared to ever trust a homeless buy again.

jjanega08, Aug 21, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -21.6%

i tried it just for shits and giggles and let me tell you.this beer is just to put you on your ass,not to be reviewed for appearance,smell,taste,mouthfeel or drinkability.just how hammered you can get from it.so if thats how the ratings went it would be an A++ but since its not,thumbs down
(super cheap beer should have there own rating system)

beer256, Dec 28, 2009
1.6/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Strange can of beer I found at Buster's in Memphis TN.

Gold colored beer with a small white head.

Strong apple smell and sweet corn. This is stings the nose a bit.

Strong apple flavor the taste you get from using old malt in home brewing.

Verdict on both smell and taste is badly made Home Brew.

Mouthfeel is beer.

Not exactly what I would call drinkable. Hi Test bad home brew from a can. Try this once maybe.

Zorro, Sep 06, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -8.5%

Presentation:
24 oz. can with creepy green eyes staring at me - challenging me to drink what I can only imagine is cheap drunkenness within. Poured into an imperial pint glass. Why though? Why am I doing this to myself?

Visual:
Straw gold body with dark yellow hues. Ridiculously bubbly like an over-carbonated fizzy soda. Thin white head that doesn't wanna stick around.

Aroma:
Malty booziness with funky skunk. A bit of grain like in a bud light, but too much alcohol/malt like in malt liquor. Not much more to say. No hops. No balance.

Taste:
Interesting. Light body of a lager, but heavy malt like an ale. Unfortunately, it is reminiscent of rotten fruit. Followed by gross seltzer/soda bitterness. There is a weird cooked veggie profile somewhere in the middle; maybe asparagus? Granted, the point of this beer is to inject as much alcohol into your body as fast as possible, but I still have to comment that there is way to much noticeable alcohol present on the palate. Boozy profile and aftertaste.

Overall:
Too much was sacrificed for the alcohol. Very unattractive to my tongue. Overly carbonated, and extremely unbalanced. I wouldn't even know where to begin in trying to pair this with food. Most likely would go great with cheap take-out or convenience store foods like microwaveable burritos. Eh? Maybe you won't notice all those preservatives with all that alcohol.

Cheers!

dbmcrorie, Sep 04, 2009
1.98/5  rDev +29.4%

Pale yellow with a dingy off white head of foam. The smell is creamed corn, green apple and fusel alcohol. The flavor is green apple skin and cheap vodka with plenty of sweet corn to get the ABV potent, the alcohol is hot in the finish. This stuff is pretty rank, the worst tasting malt liquor I've had in a while for sure.

biggred1, Aug 10, 2009
1.65/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Edit: I see that Zorro found this at Busters in Memphis, like me! What a small world!

Big ol' 2X4 of the Malo ojo, let's check this bad boy out. Hmm, pours a clear golden yellow, a decent white head pops up, but dies after a couple minutes.

Sour green apples in the aroma, evil malt a'lurking. Same sour mash apple cider in the quaff - a real funky monkey. Thin bodied, more malt liquor than beer. Cripe, is this a vile concoction, my stomach is turning into knots. Finishing this will be a challenge, but I'm up for it!

Vancer, May 25, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +56.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear gold. A flimsy 1/8 inch of head forms with the pour but dissipates immediately. No lace.

S - Although I'm sortta digging the aroma, it's nothing that I'd expect from a malt liquor. Smells more like hard cider than anything, HUGE on the green apple juice. A pinch of alcohol and a whisper of grain husk, but really this is a poor hard cider from the aroma standpoint.

T - More green apple. That's about all this beer is. Sweet, slightly sour green apple. Try as I might, I can get nothing out of this beer but green apple. It does gain half a point for concealing the alcohol well.

M - Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Loses half a point due to the sweetness becoming cloying.

D - Eh, it's ok but a poor example of a malt liquor. Far too sweet and fruity tasting to imbibe all evening, or even an entire 24 oz can. A unique example of the style, but a few sips is more than enough.

PatrickJR, Jan 13, 2009

This one stands tall in an intimidating 24 oz can. Poured this one into my Sam Adams glass - is it worthy? Chilled in the cellar - about 44 degrees right now - and then an hour in the fridge. I probably should have set it outside so it got down to 20 or so.

Pours vitamin C deficient huron yellow with a mighty one inch head - quick to settle leaving lots of bubbly lacing. This beer is crystal clear - wow.

Aroma is oh so light with just a hint of light sweet malts - almost corn like sweetness.

This one hits the mouth with a bit of a roll of carbonation and then ushers in some sweetness. A very light sweetness with the tingle of the carbonation is about all I get here. NO real hops to speak of and none of the high octane characteristics that I thought I might get. I don't really catch the ABV whilst drinking this one.

The more I drink of this one the more the sweetness begins to bother me and make it tough to go back to the glass again. This beer is so foreign to me. I really do not know what to think. I can drink them - but do not want to really...

I am not sure how this gets Fs from folks but it definitely is 'not impressive'.

gpcollen1, Jan 10, 2009
2.25/5  rDev +47.1%

Tasted on Nov 11, 2007. 24oz. can. I am sort of afraid to even try this one. The pour doesn't look too bad. Medium golden with a average head. Can't knock it down on appearance. Now for the aroma. Ummm. I think things are heading south a little. Odd aroma of rotting fruit and jet fuel. Touches of bananna (which I kind of like). I have smelled worse so I can't destroy it on aroma. Time to take a sip. Ok. Lets talk about this for a second. I have had worse. Actually I have had alot worse than this. There is a big boozy bananna flavor which isn't half bad. Plus it is strong. Trust me. I am not going to drink the whole can because I have to go to work tonight. But if I didn't have to work I just might polish it off.

brewbucker, Dec 16, 2008

Purchased from the Ice Box Convenient store in Steubenville, Ohio. Alongside many other malt liquors the green evil eyes stood out to me. Underneath Evil Eye on the label it states in spanish ojo malo. High gravity lager with no abv listed on the can only other info listed is brewed by Melanie Brewing in Cincinatti, OH along with the government warning. Appears a pale clear carbonated apple juice hue with a large bright white head that has large pea sized bubbles of carbonation and dwindles quick as hell. By the way it was a 1.99, that's a little steep for a 24 oz can of any malt liquor. I'd figure even at 10 percent abv we at least see a forty offering, which I've seen in the Burgh before. The smell is comprised of sweet alcoholic creamed corn with some green apple phenols added to the party. Flavor is ungodly such a gag inducing horribly made beer I may not be able to put it into words. First off cloyingly sweet creamed corn with burning alcohol in the throat is enough to make one gag, through in the tart apple with heavy carbonation and my stomach is a turning. You actually develop a headache while drinking this beer, this should be illegal, it sucks to feel like a prohibitionist. Mouthfeel is cloying with harsh carbonation and sticky residual sugars, what a rough ride. Drinkability is god awful no more about the evil eye please. It's nice to have fun at the the expense of this beer's shite factor.

WVbeergeek, Oct 27, 2008

This is hands down the worst beer I have ever drank. Wayyy to much alcohol makes the palate feel as if it's been a prisoner of war for 40 years. This one kid gave me a 40 of this and since it's 10% abv it definitely fucked me up, but I felt like ass all day the next day.

chewyboy, Oct 01, 2008
1.02/5  rDev -33.3%

The appearance is your typical crap macro piss yellow little to no head and zero lacing

The smell isnt there much but from what i can smell its alot like my boxers after two hours at the gym

Taste reminds of of sour milk up front with a very nasty cheao malt taste afterwards that lingers until you brush your teeth

The mouthfeel is that of club soda absolutely nothing but carbonation

The drinklability between the taste/smell/ and abv is simply awful, if i can drink crown royal straight but had to pour this after 1/3 can that tells you something. Absolutley horrid save your money and get a pbr or something else instead if you want crap beer, at least pbr isnt offensive filth.

jamesm7485, Aug 01, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I like the idea of malt liquor in a can. It is a smaller ration and you can't see what's inside. This one has an especially cool design as well. That unfortunatle was the last of the good. A yellow color with a weak white head. Nose and taste are of bitter grains and alcohol. The body is light and fizzy. Not a fan.

rye726, May 19, 2008
1.73/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a thin, wispy, white head.

Smell: Caustic chemical aroma with hints of corn and spoiled apple juice. Jesus.

Taste: Oddly sweet taste of stale corn and apple juice with a dash of isopropyl alcohol. Adjunky. No hop flavor or bitterness. Harsh finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Questionably tongue-coating mouthfeel.

Drinkability: No thanks. As for the Melanie Brewing Co., I will say they have enough testicles to keep churning out an endless array of malt liquors.

ChainGangGuy, Mar 30, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Not even your wildest nighmares compare to what is held in a 40oz. bottle of Evil Eye.

This concoction smells of gasoline, and I am assuming that if you took a sip of gasoline it would taste exactly the same as Evil Eye.

I found this 40 in Denver, Colorado. The moment I saw the 10% ABV I had to try it.

The alcohol is all you can taste... it is extremely sweet, with very little taste in regards to hops, etc.

By the time I reached the top of the label I was buzzing. Cold sweats hit me when I reached the bottom of the label.

I am (not) proud to say that I finished this brew that was forged by Satan himself.

The next day I woke up with one of the worst hangovers I have ever had in my life.

Pay heed all who imbibe this Devil's Brew...

kguyty, Aug 02, 2007
1.1/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a combination of light malt sweetness, sour fruits and pungent alcohol.

T: Much like the smell leads you to expect, the taste has a strong sweet & sour flavor to it and a heavy alcohol burn right up front and tastes a lot like a bad champagne. The malt character is thin and there’s very little hops presence. The after-taste is sour.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not at all tasty, I had a hard time drinking the can that I had, not very filling which is about the only good thing I can say about it. Even if you’re a fan of malt liquors, which I’m not, I would not recommend this one.

TheManiacalOne, Jul 12, 2007
1.65/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Gold, fading head. Lots of particles of some sort--they're not hops, I don't think they're yeast, so what are they?

Smell: Grape, alcohol, somewhat like white wine.

Taste: Sweet but somewhat tart, green apple/grape wine-like flavor, alcohol.

Drinkability: I'm glad it's just a 16oz can and not a 40oz. I don't think this would be any good at all after warming.

Back when I used to live in Missouri we had poor beer selection. I used to drink nothing but hard liquor and cheap beer. I didn't get into 40's just because there really weren't too many of them around either. To re-live the old days, I bought this cheapo beer to give it a try with my slightly more developed tastes. It is drinkable but doesn't taste much like beer to me. It's almost like a white wine with more body. If you want a cheap buzz it's not too bad when cold.

Mdog, Mar 25, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

There are two things that I like about this "beer." The first is that it had a surprisingly decent appearance with lots of active bubbles and some very good retention. The other is that nowhere on the can these guys make any claim that there are any "quality ingredients" or "purest hops" like some of these breweries try to fool the uninformed drinker with. They lay it out there, that this beer sucks but it has a lot of alcohol. That's exactly what you get here and very sweet beer with an unpleasant aftertaste, heavy in carbonation hardly appealing.

Neehan, Feb 19, 2007
1.68/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours orangey/gold with a tiny bubbled, frothy white cap. Some lace left after the head dies. Fusel aromas, corn and grain, lots of adjunct, and some veggie/ogange peel, but I have experienced worse. Pretty boozed up fusels are all over this puppy, corn, vegetal ,and citric acid flavours. Harsh and oily finish. Better than predicted, but not good. Thanks Chris!

mrmanning, Nov 28, 2006
1.53/5  rDev 0%

Wow! Talk about a nasty beer! I saw the can, so I just had to have it, as I like to try different malt liquors. This one tasted a lot like MD 20/20's White Grape, but with less alcohol taste. The alcohol was actually fairly subtle for how much was in it. I guess if you are looking to drink a nasty brew, but get a quick buzz, this one should be your choice. If you like malt liquors that actually taste good, then stay away.

JISurfer, Jul 29, 2006
1.73/5  rDev +13.1%

Saw this sitting in the cooler while making a Friday Night beer run. Took one look at the 2 sinister looking disembodied eyes staring out at me and thought, "I GOTTA review this!!" Pours from the 24 oz. can into a plastic 16 oz. cup (why waste a glass on this?) a typical urine yellow with a large, pillowy head that settled into a small collar & stuck to the sides of the cup. Surprisingly low carbonation, I expected a lot more fizziness. Smell is sugary sweet. Taste matches the aroma, i'm sure they jacked the abv up to 10% by dumping loads of syrup into this stuff. It's not as bad as I expected, but still WAY too candy sweet. Mouthfeel is the usual lager wateriness. For the record, I bought this at the beginning of a run to pick up some takeout food, so it was in an un-air conditioned vehicle for about 30 minutes before sampling. It would probably be better ice cold, but not by much. At $1.49 for a 24 oz can this stuff will be a hit with broke-ass frat boys looking to get laid and homeless guys panhandling for change. If you're looking for a tasty, high quality beer to sip & savor, buy something else. If you want a quick cheap buzz, chug one ot these ice cold.

CJfromPhilly, Jul 22, 2006
1.02/5  rDev -33.3%

40 ounces, 1.18 liters (1 quart 8 fluid ounces), of high gravity lager. 10% alcohol volume....(this is all verbatim from the label)...a badass number when found in a good beer...hope I'm ready for this...

This was presented to me in the classic paper bag (thanks to my benefactor, TastyTaste), but for this assessment, I decant into a pint glass.

Click, ssshhh...off comes the cap, and out wafts a foul stink, pungent as any demon's stool. Or so I imagine. On closer inspection, it's an empty set of corn and fusel alcohol. This should come in a mason jar. Naked, but for the booze. Gets more fiery the longer it sits in the glass, though some fruit character, cherry in particular lingers in the mind to match the vegetal side. Not in any pleasant way, however. So very raw.

Appearance, a pale amber with the slimmest head.

Taste: GAH! Shit! What is this? Holy God! My head pounds already. The backdoor's busted and the alcohol comes booming in...with no pleasantries exchanged as it bursts in the room and goes apeshit on the furniture, trashing the happy home of the braincase. There's quiet in between tastes, but an unsettled rumbling continues. Drink again...

...boom! There it goes again, slamdancing into the softer sides of the brain. Raw, raw, raw, with no happiness found in the flavor. It's a rough corny, vegetal, grainy mess...not beer, just unrefined alcohol. Hot and fierce, a crass brute carousing his callous path all about the body, with every intent on messing with the mind. Scalds the senses.

...boom, boom, boom! He's kicking the walls in now, he's pounding on the floor, and throwing sledgehammers at the ceiling. He wants it all to come crashing down. Slight citrus taste emerges, or maybe that's me, searching somewhere for flavor. Wherever it appears, though, it remains utterly unpleasant. Harsh and horrible. Nothing redeeming in this whatsoever.

Halfway in, a feeling comes over me. I want to pick a fight with some motherfucker. But no-one's around but the cat. Here, kitty, kitty...you think you're so big...doncha...fuckin' kitty cat...ah'ma getchoo...

almost done with the 40 and I want to rain death on these mean streets, wash away the scum of the city, cleanse it with all of the awesome powers at my command...heat ray, laser eye, levitation, instantaneous combustion at will...stuff like that...yup, I'm so drunk I'm dealing death fantasies I never knew I had...

Who drinks this? People with a death wish on their brain cells?

It just occurred to me that I've probably spent more time and thought on this beer than the brewers have...outside of dreaming of dollar signs, imagining the riches gleaned from fleecing folks who want to obliterate their consciousness in a quickness at a minimal charge.

You should get a prize for finishing one these 40's. Why not the Presidential Medal of Freedom, that's easy enough to snag.
"Gettin' drunk off a Evil Eye 40? Slam dunk!"

feloniousmonk, May 11, 2006
1.43/5  rDev -6.5%

Mobb Deep. Al Capone. Evil Eye. All are infamous.

Pale gold in hue, not as sickly as expected. A steady stream of animation dances to the thin white head. At the apex the foam was one finger tall, it quickly faded to a tiny cap but this lid hung around a bit. I am surprised. There was even some spotty subsequent lacing. Overall, this is a fairly good looking beer.

Fairly potent nose, it is adjunct filled with some matly aromas as well. Not to mention the undercurrents of lemon. I don’t find the smells offensive but there is something about it I can’t put my finger on. For 10% abv I don’t detect much, if any, alcohol. I am shocked, for a malt liquor the nose is respectable… almost inviting (dare I say?). If nothing else I am curious…

April fools! Jokes on me! One sip and my god, how could the nose be so misleading. First of all, the flavors are dominated by alcohol and alcohol heat. Rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, peppermint, and rubber bands dominate the palate. I get hints of lemon. [Now that I’ve tasted this beer the pleasant adjuncty aroma is now more clearly noticed and I can no long say much nice about the nose. It is sickly alcoholic.] So is the palate. There is no sign of malt, hops, or “beeriness.” This beer has its reputation for a reason. It really does suck.

About medium in body, moderate carbonation but lively enough... not that it matters at this point. The mouthfeel is decent… at least swallowing removed the beer from the mouth but the aftertaste still lingers. Yikes!

Drinkable? No, not all. It is the antithesis of drinkable. Terrible. Maybe the worse (non-chili beer) beer I have had. I am shocked at how god awful it is. I purchased my 24-ounce can for $1.50. Never again. It was torture.

bditty187, Apr 06, 2006
1.08/5  rDev -29.4%

There isnt a method created yet that can make you drink this beaver pee fast enough to make it worth the pain. I didnt expect much for the dollar I got it for but I think I should be paid for pain and suffering.

And to make this a legit review:
Appearance was nothing spectacular. Golden color with lots of carbonation.. see even the bubles are trying to escape this witches brew. Head was about 2 inches dying off quickly. The smell is on par with a bud laced with vodka, the kind out of the plasic bottle.

The taste was like a sweet and sour Bud. The only use for this beer is either to play a joke on a knowledgable beer buddy or to drink after a root canal when you cant taste anyway.

nriech, Mar 30, 2006
1.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from an evil black can into an imperial pint glass. A nice looking beer. Lots of bubble, godd sized head with nice retention and good lacing.

Smells of apple cider...vinegar. Not too pleasing for the nose hairs. Most are singed now (I needed a trimming anyway.). I think I caught a whiff of some grain or fruit.

Taste is pretty horrific. After four itty bitty sips, this ojo malo went debajo de draino.

Now I will have to work an extra 43 seconds tomorrow to earn my $1.09 I spent on this punto!

SaCkErZ9, Mar 29, 2006