Evil Eye - Melanie Brewing Company

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBob on 11-10-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1.74/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a thin, wispy, white head.

Smell: Caustic chemical aroma with hints of corn and spoiled apple juice. Jesus.

Taste: Oddly sweet taste of stale corn and apple juice with a dash of isopropyl alcohol. Adjunky. No hop flavor or bitterness. Harsh finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Questionably tongue-coating mouthfeel.

Drinkability: No thanks. As for the Melanie Brewing Co., I will say they have enough testicles to keep churning out an endless array of malt liquors.

1.16/5  rDev -25.2%

Not even your wildest nighmares compare to what is held in a 40oz. bottle of Evil Eye.

This concoction smells of gasoline, and I am assuming that if you took a sip of gasoline it would taste exactly the same as Evil Eye.

I found this 40 in Denver, Colorado. The moment I saw the 10% ABV I had to try it.

The alcohol is all you can taste... it is extremely sweet, with very little taste in regards to hops, etc.

By the time I reached the top of the label I was buzzing. Cold sweats hit me when I reached the bottom of the label.

I am (not) proud to say that I finished this brew that was forged by Satan himself.

The next day I woke up with one of the worst hangovers I have ever had in my life.

Pay heed all who imbibe this Devil's Brew...

1.11/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a combination of light malt sweetness, sour fruits and pungent alcohol.

T: Much like the smell leads you to expect, the taste has a strong sweet & sour flavor to it and a heavy alcohol burn right up front and tastes a lot like a bad champagne. The malt character is thin and there’s very little hops presence. The after-taste is sour.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not at all tasty, I had a hard time drinking the can that I had, not very filling which is about the only good thing I can say about it. Even if you’re a fan of malt liquors, which I’m not, I would not recommend this one.

1.68/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Gold, fading head. Lots of particles of some sort--they're not hops, I don't think they're yeast, so what are they?

Smell: Grape, alcohol, somewhat like white wine.

Taste: Sweet but somewhat tart, green apple/grape wine-like flavor, alcohol.

Drinkability: I'm glad it's just a 16oz can and not a 40oz. I don't think this would be any good at all after warming.

Back when I used to live in Missouri we had poor beer selection. I used to drink nothing but hard liquor and cheap beer. I didn't get into 40's just because there really weren't too many of them around either. To re-live the old days, I bought this cheapo beer to give it a try with my slightly more developed tastes. It is drinkable but doesn't taste much like beer to me. It's almost like a white wine with more body. If you want a cheap buzz it's not too bad when cold.

1.46/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

There are two things that I like about this "beer." The first is that it had a surprisingly decent appearance with lots of active bubbles and some very good retention. The other is that nowhere on the can these guys make any claim that there are any "quality ingredients" or "purest hops" like some of these breweries try to fool the uninformed drinker with. They lay it out there, that this beer sucks but it has a lot of alcohol. That's exactly what you get here and very sweet beer with an unpleasant aftertaste, heavy in carbonation hardly appealing.

1.69/5  rDev +9%

Pours orangey/gold with a tiny bubbled, frothy white cap. Some lace left after the head dies. Fusel aromas, corn and grain, lots of adjunct, and some veggie/ogange peel, but I have experienced worse. Pretty boozed up fusels are all over this puppy, corn, vegetal ,and citric acid flavours. Harsh and oily finish. Better than predicted, but not good. Thanks Chris!

1.55/5  rDev 0%

Wow! Talk about a nasty beer! I saw the can, so I just had to have it, as I like to try different malt liquors. This one tasted a lot like MD 20/20's White Grape, but with less alcohol taste. The alcohol was actually fairly subtle for how much was in it. I guess if you are looking to drink a nasty brew, but get a quick buzz, this one should be your choice. If you like malt liquors that actually taste good, then stay away.

1.75/5  rDev +12.9%

Saw this sitting in the cooler while making a Friday Night beer run. Took one look at the 2 sinister looking disembodied eyes staring out at me and thought, "I GOTTA review this!!" Pours from the 24 oz. can into a plastic 16 oz. cup (why waste a glass on this?) a typical urine yellow with a large, pillowy head that settled into a small collar & stuck to the sides of the cup. Surprisingly low carbonation, I expected a lot more fizziness. Smell is sugary sweet. Taste matches the aroma, i'm sure they jacked the abv up to 10% by dumping loads of syrup into this stuff. It's not as bad as I expected, but still WAY too candy sweet. Mouthfeel is the usual lager wateriness. For the record, I bought this at the beginning of a run to pick up some takeout food, so it was in an un-air conditioned vehicle for about 30 minutes before sampling. It would probably be better ice cold, but not by much. At $1.49 for a 24 oz can this stuff will be a hit with broke-ass frat boys looking to get laid and homeless guys panhandling for change. If you're looking for a tasty, high quality beer to sip & savor, buy something else. If you want a quick cheap buzz, chug one ot these ice cold.

1.03/5  rDev -33.5%

40 ounces, 1.18 liters (1 quart 8 fluid ounces), of high gravity lager. 10% alcohol volume....(this is all verbatim from the label)...a badass number when found in a good beer...hope I'm ready for this...

This was presented to me in the classic paper bag (thanks to my benefactor, TastyTaste), but for this assessment, I decant into a pint glass.

Click, ssshhh...off comes the cap, and out wafts a foul stink, pungent as any demon's stool. Or so I imagine. On closer inspection, it's an empty set of corn and fusel alcohol. This should come in a mason jar. Naked, but for the booze. Gets more fiery the longer it sits in the glass, though some fruit character, cherry in particular lingers in the mind to match the vegetal side. Not in any pleasant way, however. So very raw.

Appearance, a pale amber with the slimmest head.

Taste: GAH! Shit! What is this? Holy God! My head pounds already. The backdoor's busted and the alcohol comes booming in...with no pleasantries exchanged as it bursts in the room and goes apeshit on the furniture, trashing the happy home of the braincase. There's quiet in between tastes, but an unsettled rumbling continues. Drink again...

...boom! There it goes again, slamdancing into the softer sides of the brain. Raw, raw, raw, with no happiness found in the flavor. It's a rough corny, vegetal, grainy mess...not beer, just unrefined alcohol. Hot and fierce, a crass brute carousing his callous path all about the body, with every intent on messing with the mind. Scalds the senses.

...boom, boom, boom! He's kicking the walls in now, he's pounding on the floor, and throwing sledgehammers at the ceiling. He wants it all to come crashing down. Slight citrus taste emerges, or maybe that's me, searching somewhere for flavor. Wherever it appears, though, it remains utterly unpleasant. Harsh and horrible. Nothing redeeming in this whatsoever.

Halfway in, a feeling comes over me. I want to pick a fight with some motherfucker. But no-one's around but the cat. Here, kitty, kitty...you think you're so big...doncha...fuckin' kitty cat...ah'ma getchoo...

almost done with the 40 and I want to rain death on these mean streets, wash away the scum of the city, cleanse it with all of the awesome powers at my command...heat ray, laser eye, levitation, instantaneous combustion at will...stuff like that...yup, I'm so drunk I'm dealing death fantasies I never knew I had...

Who drinks this? People with a death wish on their brain cells?

It just occurred to me that I've probably spent more time and thought on this beer than the brewers have...outside of dreaming of dollar signs, imagining the riches gleaned from fleecing folks who want to obliterate their consciousness in a quickness at a minimal charge.

You should get a prize for finishing one these 40's. Why not the Presidential Medal of Freedom, that's easy enough to snag.
"Gettin' drunk off a Evil Eye 40? Slam dunk!"

1.49/5  rDev -3.9%

Mobb Deep. Al Capone. Evil Eye. All are infamous.

Pale gold in hue, not as sickly as expected. A steady stream of animation dances to the thin white head. At the apex the foam was one finger tall, it quickly faded to a tiny cap but this lid hung around a bit. I am surprised. There was even some spotty subsequent lacing. Overall, this is a fairly good looking beer.

Fairly potent nose, it is adjunct filled with some matly aromas as well. Not to mention the undercurrents of lemon. I don’t find the smells offensive but there is something about it I can’t put my finger on. For 10% abv I don’t detect much, if any, alcohol. I am shocked, for a malt liquor the nose is respectable… almost inviting (dare I say?). If nothing else I am curious…

April fools! Jokes on me! One sip and my god, how could the nose be so misleading. First of all, the flavors are dominated by alcohol and alcohol heat. Rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, peppermint, and rubber bands dominate the palate. I get hints of lemon. [Now that I’ve tasted this beer the pleasant adjuncty aroma is now more clearly noticed and I can no long say much nice about the nose. It is sickly alcoholic.] So is the palate. There is no sign of malt, hops, or “beeriness.” This beer has its reputation for a reason. It really does suck.

About medium in body, moderate carbonation but lively enough... not that it matters at this point. The mouthfeel is decent… at least swallowing removed the beer from the mouth but the aftertaste still lingers. Yikes!

Drinkable? No, not all. It is the antithesis of drinkable. Terrible. Maybe the worse (non-chili beer) beer I have had. I am shocked at how god awful it is. I purchased my 24-ounce can for $1.50. Never again. It was torture.

1.08/5  rDev -30.3%

There isnt a method created yet that can make you drink this beaver pee fast enough to make it worth the pain. I didnt expect much for the dollar I got it for but I think I should be paid for pain and suffering.

And to make this a legit review:
Appearance was nothing spectacular. Golden color with lots of carbonation.. see even the bubles are trying to escape this witches brew. Head was about 2 inches dying off quickly. The smell is on par with a bud laced with vodka, the kind out of the plasic bottle.

The taste was like a sweet and sour Bud. The only use for this beer is either to play a joke on a knowledgable beer buddy or to drink after a root canal when you cant taste anyway.

1.54/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from an evil black can into an imperial pint glass. A nice looking beer. Lots of bubble, godd sized head with nice retention and good lacing.

Smells of apple cider...vinegar. Not too pleasing for the nose hairs. Most are singed now (I needed a trimming anyway.). I think I caught a whiff of some grain or fruit.

Taste is pretty horrific. After four itty bitty sips, this ojo malo went debajo de draino.

Now I will have to work an extra 43 seconds tomorrow to earn my $1.09 I spent on this punto!

1.21/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer poured the standard pale yellow color with a large head that went away rather quickly. The aroma is of corn, rotting vegetables and alcohol. The taste of this beer is a mixture of strong alcohol and sweetness that is very unappealing. Why did I waste $1.19 on this stuff? It ended up going down the drain after 3 or 4 swallows. Consequently, I think this beer belongs in the Malt Liquor category due to it's strength and it's intended consumer. The artwork on the can is clearly reaching out to people who drink beer out of a paper bag.

1.71/5  rDev +10.3%

The beer poured into the glass ever so slightly hazy with a white and frothy head which rose quickly and fell to lace the glass.

The aroma was estery and cidery with a strong aroma of acetyaldehyde (fresh cut green apples). The applie aroma was so strong you could almost smell the core.

The flavor was malty with a strong alcohol flavor that really detracted from any enjoyment of the beverage. The alcohol coupled with more green apple flavor and even a slight spice phenolic from the alcohol led to a flavor that would not quickly forget.

The finish was just dry with a lasting green apple and alcoholic spice into the aftertate. The body was medium and the carbonation was enough to add a bit of creaminess to the mouthfeel. This beer was difficult to consume. The alcohol warming after consumption was very high and the beer was either boosted ABV with copious amounts of sugars at a high fermentation temp or the beer was prematurely separated from the yeast. In any case, I would suggest the faint of heart skip it and the rest might think about it a bit before shelling out 2 beans.

24 ounce master cylinder. $1.99 at Peace Street Market.

2.26/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

This beer has awful written all over it. However, there is a little piece of me that keeps me coming back. That is the fact that this beer is so strong(10%abv) and one hardly notices that. Keep drinking this baby because you literally get your best bang for your buck. This is an all corn, high alcohol, low-hopped, yellow beer. Take it for what it is worth.

1.44/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

24oz. can that was only a .99 at a local grocery store.

The only good thing about this beer was the appearance and goes straight down hill from here. It poured a pale yellow color with a nice head of foam on it. A slight sweet corn smell with a strong alcohol background. I didn't know a smell could burn my nose until I got a whiff of this stuff. The taste was that of cough syrup. So, if you have a bad cold, drink this stuff and go to sleep. The only mouthfeel is strong alcohol. I didn't expect much from a cheap beer. If your in the mood for a cheap alternative to cough syrup and looking to get drunk, then by all means drink this swill!

1.88/5  rDev +21.3%

Not a particularly good beer. Pours a medium straw color with medium carbonation. Fair head retention and legs. Aromas of Fruity Pebbles and cream corn all rolled in together. Flavor is only slightly better. High concentrations of corn sugar to acheive the 10% alcohol. Also has other cereal grains. Mild sweetness is covered by big vegetable, grain, and fusal alcohol flavors. Not particularly complex or balanced. An oxidized hop aroma (similar to skunkiness) also comes through in the flavor. Body is nearly syrupy and slick. Aftertaste is alcoholic and heated.

1.4/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Evil Eye Ojo Malo came in a 24 oz black can with flourescent green eyes staring out at you. Pours a clear and pale yellow gold color. Tried coaxing some head with a vigoroud pour, but got nothing. Kind of sweet stale beer smell. Overly sweet flavor, overpowered by the 10% alcohol burn. Sticky, almost oily mouthfeel coats your mouth. Ice cold it was tolerable, but the contents of the can warmed up before I could finish. Even after sharing, had to pour the rest out.
Thanks for bring the cool looking can (not the beer) back from your trip to Wisconsin.

This just came out in 40 oz. bottles down here, so last night I took "The Ride" (my nickname for drinking Evil Eye). Still the dark gold color with minimal head as the can was. Smell is as skunky and as sickly sweet and adjuncty as the canned version. Taste is absolutely aweful. Makes my skin crawl after each sip, just too much corny sweetness and skunky off flavors. Yuck. This is like an oddity of a beer. Something so vile and nasty that it's almost like running the gauntlet. If you survive, you probably won't want to drink this again.

1.24/5  rDev -20%

Third-world third-class gutter swill. Good crack, nice appearance; that's where the positives on this one run short. Fusel-alcohol smells are apparent as soon as you open this shit. Smells like CHEAP. Its pretty poundable, though very, very bad tasting. I would wager that 0.1% or less of the population could actually finish a 40 of this shit. I got through half, I'm not ashamed to say. I was enjoying the strange buzz it provided, but my stomach was not feeling this one at all. If the brewmaster of "Melanie Brewing" was here right now i'd whack him across the eyes with a bo staff.

1.12/5  rDev -27.7%

This beer pours a golden brown and forms about two fingers worth of head. It smells kind of vinegarish.. hard to nail down what it smells like, other than bad. The taste is worse than the smell, believe it or not.. I really don't know how to describe it.. kind of like rancid pickles possibly? I tried to determine the mouthfeel, but leaving it in my mouth for extended periods made me want to gag.. Kinda reminds me of transmission fluid.. I really don't think this beer is very drinkable.. unless maybe if you could shotgun it or something..

1.16/5  rDev -25.2%

Evil Eye "Ojo Malo" pours a bright gold from a clear 40oz glass bottle. Head goes to about two fingers before dropping to a broken ring with islands of foam near the center of the glass.

Smells like used engine degreaser that had been setting out in the midday sun too long.

Tastes like used engine degreaser that had not been setting in the midday sun long enough.

I have looked all over the bottle for the D.O.T. warning label, but could not find it.

This stuff is a tonsillectomy looking for a place to happen... or a do it yourself home lobotomy kit.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last