Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

Beer 30 LightBeer 30 Light

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.79/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a clear yellow with a 1 inch foamy white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Looks-wise this one isn't so bad I must say. Smell is of subtle grain, sugar, and metal. There is also a weird fruitiness that I am picking up in the smell. Taste is of sugary water and slight grain flavors. This beer seems to be quite flat with a watery quality in the mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty horrible beer any way you look at it. I am glad I picked up a can to try just so I can further appreciate all the good beer I am able to enjoy.

2.04/5  rDev +14.6%

Also from the 99 cent store.

A: This one pours a pale straw color with a minimal white head forming. Already not living up to Beer 30 Ice...

S: Rotten vegetables is the best way I can think to describe this aroma. A bit of garbage and paper is also there. Sure, plenty of corn, sugar, and metal, too.

T: Very corny and vegetal. Lots of sweet apple juice flavor and a nice metallic note. Mildly sour and lemony. Though not intense, the flavor is certainly abrasive.

M: Light in body with a medium to high carbonation.

O: Somehow, worse than Beer 30 Ice.

1.96/5  rDev +10.1%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to my buddy and his Iowa City-based alma mater, I now have a case o' this. Yeah. It pours a clear deep sallow topped by a rather short-lived bit o' fizzy white foam. The nose is nearly as devoid of scent as the surface of the moon (since, according to my research, the moon's not really made of cheese (seriously? when did this happen!?), I figure it's pretty scent-less), with only some mild corn chaff finding it's way into the 'strils. The taste doesn't try too hard to one-up the smell, though a very mild sweetness vainly tries to pervade the otherwise tasteless liquid. As my boy Filbert once said, this thing went down "like a lead rake". Interestingly, the body is very light, with a fizzy carbonation and a watery feel. So...I guess it's more apt to say it went down too easily...like...a lead rake...? Why not? Overall, I really don't want to drink this. It's not that it's completely offensive, per se, but it's not a flavor of water I really want to have much of. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the clock never strikes Beer:30 so long as it means this brew is in the offing.

1.67/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, very light malts and almost no hops.

T: The taste starts with an adjunct and light malt sweetness that is followed by a thin grain breadiness. The hops presence is nearly undetectable. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Watery, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Almost no flavor at all, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to it, very mild kick, I don't see how they can honestly call this "Premium Beer" on the can when it barely passes for beer at all.

2.21/5  rDev +24.2%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

I totally get the concept of this beer - it is always Beer:30 when I get home from a day of teaching. I just wish that I could have tried its leaded counterpart first. Onward!

I must be slipping - my pour only produced a little better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with really low retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It looked like sunshine in a glass as I peered into the gloaming through my kitchen window. The nose was sweet, mostly cereal, but also some of that fruity bubblegum. Oof. Mouthfeel was fuller than I might expect in a light beer, but that did not help the cloyingly sweet taste I got on the tongue. Double oof. The finish left me wondering how many more of these kinds of beers I am going to encounter on the CANQuest. I CAN only hope that more craft brewers turn to CANs in the near future.

2.32/5  rDev +30.3%

A- Half inch of a fizzy white head on a clear, very pale body. Low head retention properties and no lacing.

S- Not a pleasant smell although I don't know what it is akin too. light lemon zest perhaps.

T- Weird, semi-metallic fruity aftertaste...up until that point not bad at all. Easy drinking besides that.

M- Feels good in the mouth for the style. Medium bodies, high carbonation. Best feature of Beer 30 Light.

D/O- If they could get rid of that off-putting taste at the end of each gulp this could be a winner (read: average). As it stands now, the best thing I took out of this 24 ouncer was a can tick.

2.64/5  rDev +48.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by corn. Taste is like water with a touch of beer flavoring. Not much going on at all. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall there is nothing to recomend about this beer.

1.83/5  rDev +2.8%

A-Pours the generic straw yellow with a thin foamy head.

S-Quite an unattractive smell, even for the style. Just very skunky and a bit too much. If I am drinking a cheap thirty (and this one is cheap!) then I want it to be pretty nondescript. This has a bit too much.

T-Even for a light lager, this one is just off. Hard to put down these at a quick rate. Just a mess.

M-A bit too heavy for a crappy light beer. Need this to be more watery for maximum drunken consumption.

O/D-The only good part about this beer is that it is the cheapest thirty I have seen in MA. It ran about $13 and I respect the gimmick they're going for here. Really gross, but hey, its cheap and eventually gets the job done...eventually.

1.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Two ways to consider this: I have enough of a sense of humor about beer to drop 2.50 on a six pack of a beer that seems to market itself as something horrible, with its gaudy purple can and, well, name. "Beer" is all it says. "30 Light" is much smaller. That's kind of funny.

The other way is that I'm an idiot who just bought something that is marketed as being horrible and I should expect any pain that this brew may cause me.

Tepid pour. Very light yellow with a small, very short-lived head.

Smells at first of nothing. When it warms it takes on the absolutely repugnant odor of a can of a regular bad macro that's been sitting for a few days. Ya'know, that smell of week old Bud. Well, this was opened ten minutes ago and it smells like that.

Tastes...not half bad, actually. A little metal but a surpising amount of fruit esters, especially for a light lager. Seriously, if the smell wasn't so goddamn horrible this would be a top notch light. Erm... okay as it warms it starts to taste like it smells.

Oh, and it should also work on the mournful dispepsia it causes. And the headache.

1.47/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can, graciously shared at the July Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a sickly yellowish straw color, evoking images of corn cob aged hose water, with a sputtering gray head. It could be power of suggestion with the laughable purple can, or it could be a really weird gross fermentation, but I'm getting some distinct grape notes on the nose. Beyond that, maybe some rotting grains. Flavor thankfully eases up on the fruit solvent and retreats into your basic dirty pale lager with dusty corny grains and a vanishing unsavory finish. Carbonation is surprisingly low for the style, giving a tap watery impression. No reason to ever drink this even for free. Well, the tick is worth it.

2.24/5  rDev +25.8%

24oz TALLboy can poured into a 1L Spaten mug!! Set me back a buck, I couldn't resist!

Pale, straw colored clear liquid fell into the mug forming a couple of fingers of puffy white head that dwindled down to a soapy film on the top.

Nothing much on the aroma aside from some corny sweetness and metal (admittedly I'd say not from the can...just that metallic crap lager taste)

Light grainy, corny sweetness. It's palatable, but if it had a fraction more sweetness to it, it'd be cloying.

Slightly crisp, light, but has a heavier, creamy feel which is nice, but for the style, a crisper bite would have been more refreshing.

Overall, not hard to put back. I don't know really if I was taking huge gulps because it was easy, or I was ready to move on to a KBS or something!

2.65/5  rDev +48.9%

Beer 30 Light has a thick, egg-shell colored head and a clear, golden appearance with some bubbles streaming up and little lacing left. The aroma is strange, to say the least, with a green sour apple scent and other smells I can't detect. The taste is also peculiar, with that sour green apple aspect and other funny flavors I just cannot place. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beer 30 Light finishes crisp, refreshing, and dry. This is a beer worth trying, because it's so unusual.

2.5/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a small, snow-white head of coarse bubbles and which resembles soap foam. The carbonation ia profuse, fast-rising and composed of rather large bubbles. The lacing is slight and scattered.

Aroma; Cooked corn dominates the aroma, there are faint metallic hops, a mineral note, and a bit of alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a bit of tart malt, this slightly sour flavor, along with a modest white bread flavor, carries throughout. Late in the taste, a ghostly metallic hop note appears, bringing the taste to a close.

Mouth feel: Soft, thin, watery, with a bit of stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An average example of the style. At sixty-nine cents a can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce aluminum can, served in a standard Pilsener glass

1.71/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Clear golden color with a slightly than larger, foamy, rocky, sticky, white head. Retention is below average and settles into a thin ring of lace. Similar to other mass produced light lagers.

S - Very faint and thin. Some grain and corn aroma that is similar to other light lagers. Some mineral aroma as well. Not great.

T - A lot of cooked corn and grain provides most of the flavor. Some mineral and maybe a hint of apple and other fruitiness. Taste kind of like a cheap light lager mixed with a cheap cider.

M - Light body with a lot of carbonation. Typical to the style.

D - Not really all that drinkable. Taste isn't great and it doesn't refresh as much as other macro made light lagers.

Notes: Not really all that great of a beer and shows that you get what you pay for. I'll probably stick to PBR or Miller High Life for my cheap beer, but if you want a bit more of a fruitiness in your cheap beer, this may be for you. Plus the label/name is kind of funny.

1.08/5  rDev -39.3%

30 pack was $12... That's the cheapest beer available in Lake of the Ozarks MO, and craft beer is pretty dismal.... I figured if I had to drink swill, it may as well be the cheapest swill... That was a mistake.

A dark yellow color that fizzes up a one finger white head-- almost seltzer water like. The head is gone very quickly, like it bubbled itself away. No lacing.
Wow. The word "bad" doesn't do this beer justice. This smells like a lemon solvent, with a hint of sourmash corn.

The taste is generic sweetness, like corn syrup or sugar, followed by a sour lemon note that could be from a sourmash or from an interesting hop procedure.

Body feels undercarbonated for the style. Kinda thick and syrupy.

Overall, this is terrible. I have 29 more of these??!! FML.
I need to set up a trade with WoodyChandler-- maybe he CAN help me out here...

1.64/5  rDev -7.9%

24oz (ug) purple can poured into a pint glass. $0.99 price sticker still on it.

The head threatens to fizzle out even before I'm done pouring. What the hell? Even most of the big boys manage a better appearance than this totally flat looking specimen. The color is a clear, pale gold. No signs of life. A pint glass of apple juice makes a better looking beer than this.

I think the grape soda looking can is getting to me, because this stuff smells like artificial grape flavoring. Grape bubblegum and cereal. Its really sweet, but strangely not that gross.

The grape bubblegum aroma is transferred directly into the taste. Its crazy sweet with no signs of hops at all. This doesn't taste much like your typical beer, its far sweeter than that. Some metallic tastes come and go.

Given the crazy sweetness of this beer it comes as no surprise that this stuff is slick with no signs of dryness at all. The carbonation stabs away at the tongue.

Not impressed with this one. Way too sweet and all around strange, right down to the purple can with a drawing of disembodied arm on it.

1.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: A pale and very light color beer with no head .
Smell Like cookeds corn and bit hint of cereal with hint of yeast.
Taste Cooked corn, cereal and yeast.
Overall: I was given this can of beer and was told to go home and give it a try. This beer is nothing special and not very easy to drink, unless you've had a couple shots of hard alcohol.

1.67/5  rDev -6.2%

Pale yellow with a quickly disappearing head of large bubbles that burned off super fast with an audible ssss, like a burning fuse. The nose is pure creamed corn with a touch of band aid. This brew tastes like it costs.. cheap as hell and hard to choke down. Cooked corn is the main flavor here. Light and highly carbonated. A pretty bad beer.

1.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance: Decent foam to begin with. Very flat though. No bubbles.

Smell: No real smell to speak of. Mostly stale, gassy corn or some other grain.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Metal water. Overall bad. I definitely taste some grain. The mouthfeel is dreadful. Basically feels like flat water.

Drinkability: The bad taste and awful feel do this one in.

Overall: Just a bad choice overall.

2.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Served in a pint glass, because I need to make this fancier than it is.

I blame/thank TMoney2591 for this can

This beer pours a light golden color with a finger of foam...wait nevermind the foam is gone. The smell is faint and almost nothing, which I would have thought good...but as it turns out there is a corn adjunct smell that I don't ever like to smell. In addition I think there is soap, it's not offensive, but it's not good either. The taste is in that not good range. It is definitely made with rice because this tastes of malt and cheap sake. I think that I taste the soap as well. There's also that weak apple core taste as well. Not great. It's ok on the palate, the watery flavor isn't good, but I suppose it's better than the opposite. It's drinkable if you want. I don't want to.

2.48/5  rDev +39.3%

Can purchased for sixty cents poured into a goblet. Felt nearly aristocratic pouring it into the goblet. Pours fairly deep gold, more color than a typical light beer, and decent head for one too. Looking good, though what doesn't in this goblet. The nose also has a bit more to it than the superlight beers of today. Nothing bad though, maybe a bit of honey malt and a bit of a savory contrast. Tastes like apple cider, low to moderate bitterness on the midpalate and a chlorinated coppery finish. Actually this kind of reminds me of Victoria Bitter. Note to Ozzies in the USA. Honestly, this is pretty inoffensive, though the flavors don't scream stereotypical American light beer at me. Nicely carbonated with decent body too. Seems like people love to hate on this, but it is actually pretty palatable for a light lager. Worth buying if not just to constantly ask people what time it is and wait for them to respond... Beer 30!

2.88/5  rDev +61.8%

I had this at a wedding reception this past weekend. My friends and I saw the people with the purpleish blue can and though that they were drinking grape soda. No, it was Beer 30 Light. I also found out this weekend that I truly can't drink Macro lagers any more as there is just way way way too much carbonation. This beer fits that tab nicely. After drinking this we all tried to place what beer it tasted like. Here is what people came up with: Keystone Light, Natural Light, Olympia, and Hamms. I figure it was more like all of the above sans Olympia.

A- I had it in the can. My guess is light.

S- Smelled like macro lager, nothing stood out except the fact it was kinda light on the smell.

T- I thought it tasted like most other beers of the style. My friend felt like it had a rubber taste like someone swirled a condom in it. Of course we all proceeded to make fun of him for quite a while for that comment with a variety of jokes.

M- Good, unless you are my friend and probably real good mouth feel...rubber and all.

O- The price is right for a quantity over quality beer.

1.56/5  rDev -12.4%

Tryed this beer with a friend the other night just for kicks. ( And it was the cheapest I've seen for a 30 in a while.)

The appearance was like any other cheap light beer. Pale, straw yellow with a decent head that faded extremely quickly. No lacing either.

Smell was also very generic. Pretty much nothing going on there.

Taste was actually interesting. Along with the normal light beer taste there was a slight champagne taste to it. Notes of that and a little grape flavor was present.

Mouthfeel was very unenjoyable. Extremely over carbonated and generally hard to put down.

Overall the beer is what you pay for it. Wouldn't mind spending the few extra dollars for budlight though.

1.86/5  rDev +4.5%

Bought a 30 pack so I could send a can to Woodychandler. I tried to talk him out of it, but he is on a CANquest, so who am I to stand in his way?

A - Color is on the yellow side of water. I got a finger of white head that quickly died to absolutely nothing. The obvious hallmark of a cheap beer.

S - Nothing but cheap malt and adjuncts/corn. Bleh

T - Do I have to? Well, supposing that I do, it actually isn't as bad as some adjunct lagers I have choked down before. Strong adjunct taste, little malt. I assume this is what happens when a brewer replaces every ingredient in reinheitsgebot with just corn.

M/D - Goes down like water...actually, thinner then water, which should discourage any BA's from drinking the water in Cincinnati. Drinkable? Well, I think my plan is to save this for when I am in the mood to get plowed (maybe I'll make some horrible decision like breaking up with my girlfriend) and once I have decided to drink myself into a degenerate stupor, I will reach for the rest of this case.

In the mean time....avoid.

1.03/5  rDev -42.1%

Notes on this brew:
Brewed with dirty gym socks, and pigfeed corn.
May be paired with industrial cleaner to strengthen its effect
A bold drink for the new generation of "trailer trash" and college kids with no money
May be mistook for grape soda due to the ridiculous purple can. That's how they trick you into accidentally drinking it.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast