Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006)
1.78/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: A pale and very light color beer with no head .
Smell Like cookeds corn and bit hint of cereal with hint of yeast.
Taste Cooked corn, cereal and yeast.
Overall: I was given this can of beer and was told to go home and give it a try. This beer is nothing special and not very easy to drink, unless you've had a couple shots of hard alcohol.

colts9016, Dec 08, 2008
1.65/5  rDev -3.5%

Pale yellow with a quickly disappearing head of large bubbles that burned off super fast with an audible ssss, like a burning fuse. The nose is pure creamed corn with a touch of band aid. This brew tastes like it costs.. cheap as hell and hard to choke down. Cooked corn is the main flavor here. Light and highly carbonated. A pretty bad beer.

biggred1, Sep 17, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -12.3%

pperez38, Jan 22, 2012
1.48/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance: Decent foam to begin with. Very flat though. No bubbles.

Smell: No real smell to speak of. Mostly stale, gassy corn or some other grain.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Metal water. Overall bad. I definitely taste some grain. The mouthfeel is dreadful. Basically feels like flat water.

Drinkability: The bad taste and awful feel do this one in.

Overall: Just a bad choice overall.

tjsdomer2, Sep 06, 2010

Unchi, Feb 24, 2012
2.17/5  rDev +26.9%

Served in a pint glass, because I need to make this fancier than it is.

I blame/thank TMoney2591 for this can

This beer pours a light golden color with a finger of foam...wait nevermind the foam is gone. The smell is faint and almost nothing, which I would have thought good...but as it turns out there is a corn adjunct smell that I don't ever like to smell. In addition I think there is soap, it's not offensive, but it's not good either. The taste is in that not good range. It is definitely made with rice because this tastes of malt and cheap sake. I think that I taste the soap as well. There's also that weak apple core taste as well. Not great. It's ok on the palate, the watery flavor isn't good, but I suppose it's better than the opposite. It's drinkable if you want. I don't want to.

Vdubb86, Nov 06, 2010

Diomede, Nov 27, 2011

WVUbrew, Jun 30, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Robyn, Jul 30, 2014
2.42/5  rDev +41.5%

Can purchased for sixty cents poured into a goblet. Felt nearly aristocratic pouring it into the goblet. Pours fairly deep gold, more color than a typical light beer, and decent head for one too. Looking good, though what doesn't in this goblet. The nose also has a bit more to it than the superlight beers of today. Nothing bad though, maybe a bit of honey malt and a bit of a savory contrast. Tastes like apple cider, low to moderate bitterness on the midpalate and a chlorinated coppery finish. Actually this kind of reminds me of Victoria Bitter. Note to Ozzies in the USA. Honestly, this is pretty inoffensive, though the flavors don't scream stereotypical American light beer at me. Nicely carbonated with decent body too. Seems like people love to hate on this, but it is actually pretty palatable for a light lager. Worth buying if not just to constantly ask people what time it is and wait for them to respond... Beer 30!

vacax, Feb 06, 2011

Vogt52, Jun 11, 2014
2.9/5  rDev +69.6%

I had this at a wedding reception this past weekend. My friends and I saw the people with the purpleish blue can and though that they were drinking grape soda. No, it was Beer 30 Light. I also found out this weekend that I truly can't drink Macro lagers any more as there is just way way way too much carbonation. This beer fits that tab nicely. After drinking this we all tried to place what beer it tasted like. Here is what people came up with: Keystone Light, Natural Light, Olympia, and Hamms. I figure it was more like all of the above sans Olympia.

A- I had it in the can. My guess is light.

S- Smelled like macro lager, nothing stood out except the fact it was kinda light on the smell.

T- I thought it tasted like most other beers of the style. My friend felt like it had a rubber taste like someone swirled a condom in it. Of course we all proceeded to make fun of him for quite a while for that comment with a variety of jokes.

M- Good, unless you are my friend and probably real good mouth feel...rubber and all.

O- The price is right for a quantity over quality beer.

Wetpaperbag, May 05, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -6.4%

Tryed this beer with a friend the other night just for kicks. ( And it was the cheapest I've seen for a 30 in a while.)

The appearance was like any other cheap light beer. Pale, straw yellow with a decent head that faded extremely quickly. No lacing either.

Smell was also very generic. Pretty much nothing going on there.

Taste was actually interesting. Along with the normal light beer taste there was a slight champagne taste to it. Notes of that and a little grape flavor was present.

Mouthfeel was very unenjoyable. Extremely over carbonated and generally hard to put down.

Overall the beer is what you pay for it. Wouldn't mind spending the few extra dollars for budlight though.

Pete27lax, Sep 23, 2011
1.83/5  rDev +7%

Bought a 30 pack so I could send a can to Woodychandler. I tried to talk him out of it, but he is on a CANquest, so who am I to stand in his way?

A - Color is on the yellow side of water. I got a finger of white head that quickly died to absolutely nothing. The obvious hallmark of a cheap beer.

S - Nothing but cheap malt and adjuncts/corn. Bleh

T - Do I have to? Well, supposing that I do, it actually isn't as bad as some adjunct lagers I have choked down before. Strong adjunct taste, little malt. I assume this is what happens when a brewer replaces every ingredient in reinheitsgebot with just corn.

M/D - Goes down like water...actually, thinner then water, which should discourage any BA's from drinking the water in Cincinnati. Drinkable? Well, I think my plan is to save this for when I am in the mood to get plowed (maybe I'll make some horrible decision like breaking up with my girlfriend) and once I have decided to drink myself into a degenerate stupor, I will reach for the rest of this case.

In the mean time....avoid.

mwa423, Dec 12, 2009
1.98/5  rDev +15.8%

Review #100. And what better way to do it than with a can of Beer 30 Light? Big thanks to the jokers at Sam's in Lexington for throwing a can of this into April's Beer Club mix six packs. They came up with some story about it being their version of an Easter egg hunt, and how some of the cans had stickers on the bottom that were good for other beer in the store. I personally believe this was their version of an April Fool's prank.

Poured from a can into a pilsner glass, although it would probably be more appropriate to drink straight from the can.

Quick note: Yes, I'm reviewing to style. I know anything BMC, or anything closely resembling BMC, gets shitty reviews that say "It tastes like crap" with all 1's, when most are stylistically average at worst.

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow. If you don't see any head, you're probably not using a clean glass. This one had two fingers, easily. Of course, it lasted for under a minute, leaving practically no foam behind. Ever seen the label on a Smuttynose Imperial Stout? You know the things on the label that look like floating bacterium? That's what the remaining foam from this beer looks like.

Smells like freshman year. Cooked corn and cereal grains. Reminds me of sexual interaction with questionable looking girls, projectile vomit, and passing out, only to wake up with penises drawn all over any exposed skin. It's the typical light lager smell.

I've never eaten creamed corn before a night of heavy drinking that led to me vomiting up booze and said creamed corn, but I imagine it would taste something like this. Meant to be consumed ice cold so it numbs your taste buds so you can't taste the millions of tiny Satans contained in each drop of this beer pissing on your tongue. This is the type of light lager you drink when you're in high school, and pour half of it out when no one's looking so you look cool. I know this is the type of beer designed for pounding, but drinkability is also enjoyment-based, so this gets a 1. Remember all those parties you went to in high school? Remember how people always made awful faces after every gulp? There's no way I'd drink an entire can of this. If I need a buzz that badly, I'll shave my head.

Feels kind of like tap water. Which is appropriate, because, like tap water, this is going down the drain.

Gyle41386, Apr 19, 2009

kguyty, Oct 01, 2013

Hoganlaw, Sep 21, 2013

schimschim, Yesterday at 09:10 AM
1.93/5  rDev +12.9%

got a dirty 30 in Madison. I love the purple can. Not worth pouring in a glass really. I swear the purple can makes you think it's grape soda. As cheap beers go, it's ok. $10 30 pack and decent. Drink it for the novelty, nothing else. It's no PBR but it's better than Mountain Creek...

hu5om, Jun 25, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Straw colored and pale with no foam at the top

S - Stale beer from cups that have been sitting out for 2 days

T - Tasted like I had licked the can and then sucked on some wheat

M - Harsh bubbles but goes to flat quickly

O - Contrary to what they believe, it is a never a good time

BTFU, Feb 15, 2012
1.03/5  rDev -39.8%

Notes on this brew:
Brewed with dirty gym socks, and pigfeed corn.
May be paired with industrial cleaner to strengthen its effect
A bold drink for the new generation of "trailer trash" and college kids with no money
May be mistook for grape soda due to the ridiculous purple can. That's how they trick you into accidentally drinking it.

MaltLickyWithTheCandy, Jun 18, 2014