Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006)
Pegasus

2.5/5  rDev +47.1%

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a small, snow-white head of coarse bubbles and which resembles soap foam. The carbonation ia profuse, fast-rising and composed of rather large bubbles. The lacing is slight and scattered.

Aroma; Cooked corn dominates the aroma, there are faint metallic hops, a mineral note, and a bit of alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a bit of tart malt, this slightly sour flavor, along with a modest white bread flavor, carries throughout. Late in the taste, a ghostly metallic hop note appears, bringing the taste to a close.

Mouth feel: Soft, thin, watery, with a bit of stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An average example of the style. At sixty-nine cents a can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce aluminum can, served in a standard Pilsener glass

11-13-2011 18:46:24 | More by Pegasus
rudolphjacksonm

1.48/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly. Lots of carbonation. 2.0

S - Smells like grain alcohol, yeast, and hops. Slight metallic odor present as well as a bit of a champagne scent...though I have no clue as to why. 1.5

T - Interesting taste. Crisp and light, very similar in flavor to your other adjunct american lagers. The interesting thing is that there is a strong aftertaste of grape and champagne. Again, how these flavors ended up in a beer completely baffles me. 1.5

M - Extremely carbonated and bubbly, but dies down to flatness once it warms up in your mouth. Horrible. Just horrible. 1.0

O - Why? Just why? Spend the extra money and get PBR, Budweiser, Landshark...anything other than this. 1.5

11-08-2011 03:25:34 | More by rudolphjacksonm
Pete27lax

1.6/5  rDev -5.9%

Tryed this beer with a friend the other night just for kicks. ( And it was the cheapest I've seen for a 30 in a while.)

The appearance was like any other cheap light beer. Pale, straw yellow with a decent head that faded extremely quickly. No lacing either.

Smell was also very generic. Pretty much nothing going on there.

Taste was actually interesting. Along with the normal light beer taste there was a slight champagne taste to it. Notes of that and a little grape flavor was present.

Mouthfeel was very unenjoyable. Extremely over carbonated and generally hard to put down.

Overall the beer is what you pay for it. Wouldn't mind spending the few extra dollars for budlight though.

09-23-2011 07:08:06 | More by Pete27lax
dcall384

Indiana

My friend and I bought this as a joke. We paid 9.99 for 30 beers; so we knew it would not be good. This beer taste like water with some grape flavoring in it. It also tasted like tap water. I did not bother pouring it into a glass, but I imagine it would have poured almost clear. There is nothing good about this beer unless you just want to get buzzed for cheap, or are having people over you don't like. Avoid this beer! It is not worth the $10 I spent.

08-11-2011 13:15:51 | More by dcall384
illidurit

1.48/5  rDev -12.9%

Can, graciously shared at the July Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a sickly yellowish straw color, evoking images of corn cob aged hose water, with a sputtering gray head. It could be power of suggestion with the laughable purple can, or it could be a really weird gross fermentation, but I'm getting some distinct grape notes on the nose. Beyond that, maybe some rotting grains. Flavor thankfully eases up on the fruit solvent and retreats into your basic dirty pale lager with dusty corny grains and a vanishing unsavory finish. Carbonation is surprisingly low for the style, giving a tap watery impression. No reason to ever drink this even for free. Well, the tick is worth it.

07-25-2011 07:31:21 | More by illidurit
VelvetExtract

1.85/5  rDev +8.8%

A-Pours the generic straw yellow with a thin foamy head.

S-Quite an unattractive smell, even for the style. Just very skunky and a bit too much. If I am drinking a cheap thirty (and this one is cheap!) then I want it to be pretty nondescript. This has a bit too much.

T-Even for a light lager, this one is just off. Hard to put down these at a quick rate. Just a mess.

M-A bit too heavy for a crappy light beer. Need this to be more watery for maximum drunken consumption.

O/D-The only good part about this beer is that it is the cheapest thirty I have seen in MA. It ran about $13 and I respect the gimmick they're going for here. Really gross, but hey, its cheap and eventually gets the job done...eventually.

06-17-2011 02:32:51 | More by VelvetExtract
womencantsail

2.05/5  rDev +20.6%

Also from the 99 cent store.

A: This one pours a pale straw color with a minimal white head forming. Already not living up to Beer 30 Ice...

S: Rotten vegetables is the best way I can think to describe this aroma. A bit of garbage and paper is also there. Sure, plenty of corn, sugar, and metal, too.

T: Very corny and vegetal. Lots of sweet apple juice flavor and a nice metallic note. Mildly sour and lemony. Though not intense, the flavor is certainly abrasive.

M: Light in body with a medium to high carbonation.

O: Somehow, worse than Beer 30 Ice.

06-11-2011 18:43:34 | More by womencantsail
AleWatcher

1.08/5  rDev -36.5%

30 pack was $12... That's the cheapest beer available in Lake of the Ozarks MO, and craft beer is pretty dismal.... I figured if I had to drink swill, it may as well be the cheapest swill... That was a mistake.

A dark yellow color that fizzes up a one finger white head-- almost seltzer water like. The head is gone very quickly, like it bubbled itself away. No lacing.
Wow. The word "bad" doesn't do this beer justice. This smells like a lemon solvent, with a hint of sourmash corn.

The taste is generic sweetness, like corn syrup or sugar, followed by a sour lemon note that could be from a sourmash or from an interesting hop procedure.

Body feels undercarbonated for the style. Kinda thick and syrupy.

Overall, this is terrible. I have 29 more of these??!! FML.
I need to set up a trade with WoodyChandler-- maybe he CAN help me out here...

06-07-2011 14:13:21 | More by AleWatcher
MbpBugeye

1.63/5  rDev -4.1%

24oz (ug) purple can poured into a pint glass. $0.99 price sticker still on it.

Appearance
The head threatens to fizzle out even before I'm done pouring. What the hell? Even most of the big boys manage a better appearance than this totally flat looking specimen. The color is a clear, pale gold. No signs of life. A pint glass of apple juice makes a better looking beer than this.

Aroma
I think the grape soda looking can is getting to me, because this stuff smells like artificial grape flavoring. Grape bubblegum and cereal. Its really sweet, but strangely not that gross.

Taste
The grape bubblegum aroma is transferred directly into the taste. Its crazy sweet with no signs of hops at all. This doesn't taste much like your typical beer, its far sweeter than that. Some metallic tastes come and go.

Mouthfeel
Given the crazy sweetness of this beer it comes as no surprise that this stuff is slick with no signs of dryness at all. The carbonation stabs away at the tongue.

Overall
Not impressed with this one. Way too sweet and all around strange, right down to the purple can with a drawing of disembodied arm on it.

06-04-2011 21:56:46 | More by MbpBugeye
Wetpaperbag

Washington

2.9/5  rDev +70.6%

I had this at a wedding reception this past weekend. My friends and I saw the people with the purpleish blue can and though that they were drinking grape soda. No, it was Beer 30 Light. I also found out this weekend that I truly can't drink Macro lagers any more as there is just way way way too much carbonation. This beer fits that tab nicely. After drinking this we all tried to place what beer it tasted like. Here is what people came up with: Keystone Light, Natural Light, Olympia, and Hamms. I figure it was more like all of the above sans Olympia.

A- I had it in the can. My guess is light.

S- Smelled like macro lager, nothing stood out except the fact it was kinda light on the smell.

T- I thought it tasted like most other beers of the style. My friend felt like it had a rubber taste like someone swirled a condom in it. Of course we all proceeded to make fun of him for quite a while for that comment with a variety of jokes.

M- Good, unless you are my friend and probably real good mouth feel...rubber and all.

O- The price is right for a quantity over quality beer.

05-05-2011 04:37:38 | More by Wetpaperbag
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.65/5  rDev +55.9%

Beer 30 Light has a thick, egg-shell colored head and a clear, golden appearance with some bubbles streaming up and little lacing left. The aroma is strange, to say the least, with a green sour apple scent and other smells I can't detect. The taste is also peculiar, with that sour green apple aspect and other funny flavors I just cannot place. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beer 30 Light finishes crisp, refreshing, and dry. This is a beer worth trying, because it's so unusual.

RJT

04-12-2011 00:52:09 | More by RonaldTheriot
EgadBananas

Louisiana

2.25/5  rDev +32.4%

24oz TALLboy can poured into a 1L Spaten mug!! Set me back a buck, I couldn't resist!

Pale, straw colored clear liquid fell into the mug forming a couple of fingers of puffy white head that dwindled down to a soapy film on the top.

Nothing much on the aroma aside from some corny sweetness and metal (admittedly I'd say not from the can...just that metallic crap lager taste)

Light grainy, corny sweetness. It's palatable, but if it had a fraction more sweetness to it, it'd be cloying.

Slightly crisp, light, but has a heavier, creamy feel which is nice, but for the style, a crisper bite would have been more refreshing.

Overall, not hard to put back. I don't know really if I was taking huge gulps because it was easy, or I was ready to move on to a KBS or something!

02-12-2011 23:46:56 | More by EgadBananas
vacax

2.42/5  rDev +42.4%

Can purchased for sixty cents poured into a goblet. Felt nearly aristocratic pouring it into the goblet. Pours fairly deep gold, more color than a typical light beer, and decent head for one too. Looking good, though what doesn't in this goblet. The nose also has a bit more to it than the superlight beers of today. Nothing bad though, maybe a bit of honey malt and a bit of a savory contrast. Tastes like apple cider, low to moderate bitterness on the midpalate and a chlorinated coppery finish. Actually this kind of reminds me of Victoria Bitter. Note to Ozzies in the USA. Honestly, this is pretty inoffensive, though the flavors don't scream stereotypical American light beer at me. Nicely carbonated with decent body too. Seems like people love to hate on this, but it is actually pretty palatable for a light lager. Worth buying if not just to constantly ask people what time it is and wait for them to respond... Beer 30!

02-06-2011 04:22:58 | More by vacax
bymyheelicarenot

1.75/5  rDev +2.9%

The only good thing about this beer is its name. I only bought a 6 pack of it because of the name and it was less then 5 bucks. It is a typical college party beer but almost undrinkable for any reason,that is why 4 cans are still in my buddy's fridge.

It tasted and smelled like straight up metal: no sign of any hops, extremely bland and had a supper bubbly feel in your mouth. You are better off spending 4 bucks on one good beer then this but it is generally what you would expect from an American light beer.

You might want to buy one though just to display that silly name can in your bar.

12-28-2010 03:32:47 | More by bymyheelicarenot
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, very light malts and almost no hops.

T: The taste starts with an adjunct and light malt sweetness that is followed by a thin grain breadiness. The hops presence is nearly undetectable. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Watery, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Almost no flavor at all, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to it, very mild kick, I don't see how they can honestly call this "Premium Beer" on the can when it barely passes for beer at all.

12-23-2010 03:38:35 | More by TheManiacalOne
TMoney2591

1.98/5  rDev +16.5%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to my buddy and his Iowa City-based alma mater, I now have a case o' this. Yeah. It pours a clear deep sallow topped by a rather short-lived bit o' fizzy white foam. The nose is nearly as devoid of scent as the surface of the moon (since, according to my research, the moon's not really made of cheese (seriously? when did this happen!?), I figure it's pretty scent-less), with only some mild corn chaff finding it's way into the 'strils. The taste doesn't try too hard to one-up the smell, though a very mild sweetness vainly tries to pervade the otherwise tasteless liquid. As my boy Filbert once said, this thing went down "like a lead rake". Interestingly, the body is very light, with a fizzy carbonation and a watery feel. So...I guess it's more apt to say it went down too easily...like...a lead rake...? Why not? Overall, I really don't want to drink this. It's not that it's completely offensive, per se, but it's not a flavor of water I really want to have much of. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the clock never strikes Beer:30 so long as it means this brew is in the offing.

11-20-2010 08:23:05 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

2.17/5  rDev +27.6%

Served in a pint glass, because I need to make this fancier than it is.

I blame/thank TMoney2591 for this can

This beer pours a light golden color with a finger of foam...wait nevermind the foam is gone. The smell is faint and almost nothing, which I would have thought good...but as it turns out there is a corn adjunct smell that I don't ever like to smell. In addition I think there is soap, it's not offensive, but it's not good either. The taste is in that not good range. It is definitely made with rice because this tastes of malt and cheap sake. I think that I taste the soap as well. There's also that weak apple core taste as well. Not great. It's ok on the palate, the watery flavor isn't good, but I suppose it's better than the opposite. It's drinkable if you want. I don't want to.

11-06-2010 21:47:31 | More by Vdubb86
DoubleD89

1.1/5  rDev -35.3%

11.99/30 rack.

This beer comes in a purple can. That should tell you something right off the bat. This is by far the worst tasting beer I have ever imbibed. The mouth feel is extremely thin and watery. It barely taste like beer. It just taste terrible and smells terrible, like dirty corn and urine. It leaves a strange after taste in your mouth, reminiscent of stale grape soda mixed with hooker spit that's been run across a dirty concrete floor.

The only reason I bought this was because it was cheap and the design on the case was strangely intriguing. Regardless, I hope I never have to drink this again.

Avoid at all costs.

10-28-2010 06:22:30 | More by DoubleD89
Clockwork420

Missouri

1.4/5  rDev -17.6%

Bought a tall can for $0.89. I couldn't pass it up because it looks ridiculous. Can poured into glass stein.

A - Straw yellow, lots of carbonation. Hardly any head whatsoever. Lace on side of glass.

S - Metallic, sour, alcohol. Slight corny. Smells nearly like bile or stomach acid.

T - Smell was what I had expected but the taste was the same. Sour, alcohol, fruityness. And not in a good way. Taste like bile. Sickly sweet upfront, acidic in the rear.

M - Carbonation was not horrible, if the beer tasted better. Thin watery, and hard to allow down your gullet. Almost a gagging sort of difficulty with it.

D - I do not know if I can finish this one.

Look here, I understand beer makers make cheap beer to appeal to larger crowds. Look what A&B has done with Bud light! Not to compare the two but jesus. This stuff is hardly drinkable by any means. I do not understand or know anyone in college or not, that would drink this swill under gun point even. This beer is awful. The metallic taste, the gagging suppression to swallow a mouth full.

Forget this I am pouring it down the sink.
Not work the pocket change I forked over for it.

Never again. Not even in the most desperate of times.

10-28-2010 05:57:40 | More by Clockwork420
skittlebrau

1.35/5  rDev -20.6%

I got a can of this at a burger restaurant for 50 cents. My recommendation? Save your money.

A: Can't say much for the appearance as I didn't have a glass to pour into.

S: Weird chemical grape flavor. Not very appetizing.

T: Awful. Still tastes like chemicals and metal. Extremely watery. Also I don't know if it's the purple can but I swear it tastes like grape.

M: water

D: I guess you could say it's drinkable since it is so watery. At the opposite end of the spectrum from a "challenging" beer, but at the same time repulsive to anyone with a decent sense of taste.

Overall, avoid. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

10-20-2010 16:06:22 | More by skittlebrau
drunkboxer1

2.8/5  rDev +64.7%

Yellow with oily white bubbles. Smells sweet and grainy. Do you know how Cobra smells? It kinda smells like that but a bit more muted. Not particularly refreshing, as you would expect in a light American lager, but kinda sweet and slick. Maybe its the silly joke-name it has or maybe its the fact that the can reminds me of grape soda, but I think it's fairly drinkable.

10-12-2010 02:59:28 | More by drunkboxer1
Tombstone12

4.05/5  rDev +138.2%

May seem as a cola representation of Pepsi, but seems to quench the thirst like a Gatorade. First off the color of the can makes my girlfriend happy plus the sight of a man drinking out of a purple can is complete manliness. The smell is similar to a draft beer at many restaurant locations. Although it does smell a tad bit watered down I appreciate the drink ability much more than the smell. This beer is like buying Vaseline when needing KY Jelly. The taste is unique yet not as pleasing as a top of the line beer but the drink ability is exceptional.

Highly recommended for a middle class unique heavy partier. Cheap enough for beer pong yet good enough for Sunday Night Football. The price is right whether it's day or night.

10-09-2010 02:13:32 | More by Tombstone12
tjsdomer2

1.48/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: Decent foam to begin with. Very flat though. No bubbles.

Smell: No real smell to speak of. Mostly stale, gassy corn or some other grain.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Metal water. Overall bad. I definitely taste some grain. The mouthfeel is dreadful. Basically feels like flat water.

Drinkability: The bad taste and awful feel do this one in.

Overall: Just a bad choice overall.

09-06-2010 05:20:43 | More by tjsdomer2
FreshHawk

1.7/5  rDev 0%

A - Clear golden color with a slightly than larger, foamy, rocky, sticky, white head. Retention is below average and settles into a thin ring of lace. Similar to other mass produced light lagers.

S - Very faint and thin. Some grain and corn aroma that is similar to other light lagers. Some mineral aroma as well. Not great.

T - A lot of cooked corn and grain provides most of the flavor. Some mineral and maybe a hint of apple and other fruitiness. Taste kind of like a cheap light lager mixed with a cheap cider.

M - Light body with a lot of carbonation. Typical to the style.

D - Not really all that drinkable. Taste isn't great and it doesn't refresh as much as other macro made light lagers.

Notes: Not really all that great of a beer and shows that you get what you pay for. I'll probably stick to PBR or Miller High Life for my cheap beer, but if you want a bit more of a fruitiness in your cheap beer, this may be for you. Plus the label/name is kind of funny.

09-05-2010 03:38:29 | More by FreshHawk
hu5om

Wisconsin

1.93/5  rDev +13.5%

got a dirty 30 in Madison. I love the purple can. Not worth pouring in a glass really. I swear the purple can makes you think it's grape soda. As cheap beers go, it's ok. $10 30 pack and decent. Drink it for the novelty, nothing else. It's no PBR but it's better than Mountain Creek...

06-25-2010 01:55:00 | More by hu5om