Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.02/5  rDev +118.5%

May seem as a cola representation of Pepsi, but seems to quench the thirst like a Gatorade. First off the color of the can makes my girlfriend happy plus the sight of a man drinking out of a purple can is complete manliness. The smell is similar to a draft beer at many restaurant locations. Although it does smell a tad bit watered down I appreciate the drink ability much more than the smell. This beer is like buying Vaseline when needing KY Jelly. The taste is unique yet not as pleasing as a top of the line beer but the drink ability is exceptional.

Highly recommended for a middle class unique heavy partier. Cheap enough for beer pong yet good enough for Sunday Night Football. The price is right whether it's day or night. (733 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +82.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

Look, I don't know what everyone is bashing...this shit costs like $10 for a 30 pack what do you expect? Golden ambrosia served in a chalice while angels whistle on your dong?
For less than $.50 a can, I don't think this is a bad beer at all; perfect for games and casual drinking (and I'd take it over bud light any day of the week). Is this a connoisseur's beer? Hell no! It's made to get a person buzzed and save a few bucks. The taste and carbonation remind me of Miller Lite or Coors light..leaning more towards Coors. There is a slight aftertaste which I don't experience in the pricier pisswater ranges...but honestly; I stopped noticing after the second can. Smells and looks like cheap beer to me! Mouthfeel is right up there with any other light beer. Taste is like I said, somewhere between Miller and Coors slightly sweeter and with a short, dirty aftertaste. Of course it's not top-notch, but look at that price tag! Red Dog isn't even this cheap most of the time and that's one of two beers (along with side pocket) that are undrinkable to me. It's not as sweet nor as nasty and off-putting as some of the ones that there are for the same amount of money in my area (Boxer, Lost Lake, Red Dog, Side Pocket, any HG product, Icehouse, etc). Support a Wisconsin brewery and save a few bucks while your at it for your next drinking game or beer bong-off.
For the record: Fav beers are: Alaskan Amber and Wisconsin Brewery's Porter Joe. (1,445 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +56.5%

I had this at a wedding reception this past weekend. My friends and I saw the people with the purpleish blue can and though that they were drinking grape soda. No, it was Beer 30 Light. I also found out this weekend that I truly can't drink Macro lagers any more as there is just way way way too much carbonation. This beer fits that tab nicely. After drinking this we all tried to place what beer it tasted like. Here is what people came up with: Keystone Light, Natural Light, Olympia, and Hamms. I figure it was more like all of the above sans Olympia.

A- I had it in the can. My guess is light.

S- Smelled like macro lager, nothing stood out except the fact it was kinda light on the smell.

T- I thought it tasted like most other beers of the style. My friend felt like it had a rubber taste like someone swirled a condom in it. Of course we all proceeded to make fun of him for quite a while for that comment with a variety of jokes.

M- Good, unless you are my friend and probably real good mouth feel...rubber and all.

O- The price is right for a quantity over quality beer. (1,089 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +52.2%

Appearance:Golden yellow with a frothy white head. The head recedes a little too quickly but there's good lacing. However, there is a lack of carbonation that makes it not very inviting.

Smell: Mild coffee smell with a hint of honey.

Taste: Very slight metallic taste followed with a very, very, mild sweet/sour taste. Also a hint of grape.

Mouthfeel: light with pretty good carbonation.

Easy drinking, thirst quenching beer, great for parties if you want to drink a lot (especially for a low price.) Nothing really offensive but nothing good. (547 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Yellow with oily white bubbles. Smells sweet and grainy. Do you know how Cobra smells? It kinda smells like that but a bit more muted. Not particularly refreshing, as you would expect in a light American lager, but kinda sweet and slick. Maybe its the silly joke-name it has or maybe its the fact that the can reminds me of grape soda, but I think it's fairly drinkable. (370 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +44%

Beer 30 Light has a thick, egg-shell colored head and a clear, golden appearance with some bubbles streaming up and little lacing left. The aroma is strange, to say the least, with a green sour apple scent and other smells I can't detect. The taste is also peculiar, with that sour green apple aspect and other funny flavors I just cannot place. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beer 30 Light finishes crisp, refreshing, and dry. This is a beer worth trying, because it's so unusual.

RJT (490 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +43.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by corn. Taste is like water with a touch of beer flavoring. Not much going on at all. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall there is nothing to recomend about this beer. (288 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a small, snow-white head of coarse bubbles and which resembles soap foam. The carbonation ia profuse, fast-rising and composed of rather large bubbles. The lacing is slight and scattered.

Aroma; Cooked corn dominates the aroma, there are faint metallic hops, a mineral note, and a bit of alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a bit of tart malt, this slightly sour flavor, along with a modest white bread flavor, carries throughout. Late in the taste, a ghostly metallic hop note appears, bringing the taste to a close.

Mouth feel: Soft, thin, watery, with a bit of stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An average example of the style. At sixty-nine cents a can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce aluminum can, served in a standard Pilsener glass (823 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +34.8%

Can purchased for sixty cents poured into a goblet. Felt nearly aristocratic pouring it into the goblet. Pours fairly deep gold, more color than a typical light beer, and decent head for one too. Looking good, though what doesn't in this goblet. The nose also has a bit more to it than the superlight beers of today. Nothing bad though, maybe a bit of honey malt and a bit of a savory contrast. Tastes like apple cider, low to moderate bitterness on the midpalate and a chlorinated coppery finish. Actually this kind of reminds me of Victoria Bitter. Note to Ozzies in the USA. Honestly, this is pretty inoffensive, though the flavors don't scream stereotypical American light beer at me. Nicely carbonated with decent body too. Seems like people love to hate on this, but it is actually pretty palatable for a light lager. Worth buying if not just to constantly ask people what time it is and wait for them to respond... Beer 30! (930 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +26.1%

A- Half inch of a fizzy white head on a clear, very pale body. Low head retention properties and no lacing.

S- Not a pleasant smell although I don't know what it is akin too. light lemon zest perhaps.

T- Weird, semi-metallic fruity aftertaste...up until that point not bad at all. Easy drinking besides that.

M- Feels good in the mouth for the style. Medium bodies, high carbonation. Best feature of Beer 30 Light.

D/O- If they could get rid of that off-putting taste at the end of each gulp this could be a winner (read: average). As it stands now, the best thing I took out of this 24 ouncer was a can tick. (613 characters)

2.24/5  rDev +21.7%

24oz TALLboy can poured into a 1L Spaten mug!! Set me back a buck, I couldn't resist!

Pale, straw colored clear liquid fell into the mug forming a couple of fingers of puffy white head that dwindled down to a soapy film on the top.

Nothing much on the aroma aside from some corny sweetness and metal (admittedly I'd say not from the can...just that metallic crap lager taste)

Light grainy, corny sweetness. It's palatable, but if it had a fraction more sweetness to it, it'd be cloying.

Slightly crisp, light, but has a heavier, creamy feel which is nice, but for the style, a crisper bite would have been more refreshing.

Overall, not hard to put back. I don't know really if I was taking huge gulps because it was easy, or I was ready to move on to a KBS or something! (777 characters)

2.24/5  rDev +21.7%

This beer is great for playing beirut. At 15 dollars for 30 cans, it is an impressive bargain.

It can also be easily disguised as grape soda when the boys in blue are nearby. If you think hard about the purple can, the taste of grape will be infused into your deepest senses.

I would highly recommend this beer for anyone who likes beer that tastes very bad. (362 characters)

2.23/5  rDev +21.2%

12oz Can

Beer Thirty..

Wow.

Picked this up from my local watering hole, even they thought it was humerous.

Pours a light golden hue, typical of macro lagers. Smells of dank malt and a bit of alcohol.

Tastes like Wine n A Box. Grapey taste behind the sweet carbonated beverage that it is. I was dared to buy this. High Life + Grape Juice. This is a refreshing beer, while still remaining offensive.

Super fizzy mouthfeel with a light body. Easy drinking but not because it's so fruity. (502 characters)

2.21/5  rDev +20.1%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

I totally get the concept of this beer - it is always Beer:30 when I get home from a day of teaching. I just wish that I could have tried its leaded counterpart first. Onward!

I must be slipping - my pour only produced a little better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with really low retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It looked like sunshine in a glass as I peered into the gloaming through my kitchen window. The nose was sweet, mostly cereal, but also some of that fruity bubblegum. Oof. Mouthfeel was fuller than I might expect in a light beer, but that did not help the cloyingly sweet taste I got on the tongue. Double oof. The finish left me wondering how many more of these kinds of beers I am going to encounter on the CANQuest. I CAN only hope that more craft brewers turn to CANs in the near future. (1,155 characters)

2.2/5  rDev +19.6%

Served in a pint glass, because I need to make this fancier than it is.

I blame/thank TMoney2591 for this can

This beer pours a light golden color with a finger of foam...wait nevermind the foam is gone. The smell is faint and almost nothing, which I would have thought good...but as it turns out there is a corn adjunct smell that I don't ever like to smell. In addition I think there is soap, it's not offensive, but it's not good either. The taste is in that not good range. It is definitely made with rice because this tastes of malt and cheap sake. I think that I taste the soap as well. There's also that weak apple core taste as well. Not great. It's ok on the palate, the watery flavor isn't good, but I suppose it's better than the opposite. It's drinkable if you want. I don't want to. (797 characters)

2.04/5  rDev +10.9%

Also from the 99 cent store.

A: This one pours a pale straw color with a minimal white head forming. Already not living up to Beer 30 Ice...

S: Rotten vegetables is the best way I can think to describe this aroma. A bit of garbage and paper is also there. Sure, plenty of corn, sugar, and metal, too.

T: Very corny and vegetal. Lots of sweet apple juice flavor and a nice metallic note. Mildly sour and lemony. Though not intense, the flavor is certainly abrasive.

M: Light in body with a medium to high carbonation.

O: Somehow, worse than Beer 30 Ice. (557 characters)

2.02/5  rDev +9.8%

Review #100. And what better way to do it than with a can of Beer 30 Light? Big thanks to the jokers at Sam's in Lexington for throwing a can of this into April's Beer Club mix six packs. They came up with some story about it being their version of an Easter egg hunt, and how some of the cans had stickers on the bottom that were good for other beer in the store. I personally believe this was their version of an April Fool's prank.

Poured from a can into a pilsner glass, although it would probably be more appropriate to drink straight from the can.

Quick note: Yes, I'm reviewing to style. I know anything BMC, or anything closely resembling BMC, gets shitty reviews that say "It tastes like crap" with all 1's, when most are stylistically average at worst.

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow. If you don't see any head, you're probably not using a clean glass. This one had two fingers, easily. Of course, it lasted for under a minute, leaving practically no foam behind. Ever seen the label on a Smuttynose Imperial Stout? You know the things on the label that look like floating bacterium? That's what the remaining foam from this beer looks like.

Smells like freshman year. Cooked corn and cereal grains. Reminds me of sexual interaction with questionable looking girls, projectile vomit, and passing out, only to wake up with penises drawn all over any exposed skin. It's the typical light lager smell.

I've never eaten creamed corn before a night of heavy drinking that led to me vomiting up booze and said creamed corn, but I imagine it would taste something like this. Meant to be consumed ice cold so it numbs your taste buds so you can't taste the millions of tiny Satans contained in each drop of this beer pissing on your tongue. This is the type of light lager you drink when you're in high school, and pour half of it out when no one's looking so you look cool. I know this is the type of beer designed for pounding, but drinkability is also enjoyment-based, so this gets a 1. Remember all those parties you went to in high school? Remember how people always made awful faces after every gulp? There's no way I'd drink an entire can of this. If I need a buzz that badly, I'll shave my head.

Feels kind of like tap water. Which is appropriate, because, like tap water, this is going down the drain. (2,326 characters)

Well, my local store just started carrying this stuff...Got a 30 pack for $10.99...figured it would be good beer to drink in my garage while working, and I'm not too disappointed....I obviously wasn't expecting much.

I think the best way to rate this stuff is to compare it to its peers; Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, Old Style. Positive note I can taste just a little more Hop bitterness in this beer to give it ok character...Negative side the malt is dominated by corny taste...the lowest ratio of barley to adjunct malt I'd say I've ever had...also more carbonation would have helped this go down.

My other problem with this stuff is the cans...They are purple and the words "Beer 30 Light" are written in white and purple and in Cursive...It looks like a store bought brand of Purple Soda Pop..Very unappealing....I wish it was a black laber beer look instead.

Well, enjoy. (885 characters)

1.96/5  rDev +6.5%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to my buddy and his Iowa City-based alma mater, I now have a case o' this. Yeah. It pours a clear deep sallow topped by a rather short-lived bit o' fizzy white foam. The nose is nearly as devoid of scent as the surface of the moon (since, according to my research, the moon's not really made of cheese (seriously? when did this happen!?), I figure it's pretty scent-less), with only some mild corn chaff finding it's way into the 'strils. The taste doesn't try too hard to one-up the smell, though a very mild sweetness vainly tries to pervade the otherwise tasteless liquid. As my boy Filbert once said, this thing went down "like a lead rake". Interestingly, the body is very light, with a fizzy carbonation and a watery feel. So...I guess it's more apt to say it went down too easily...like...a lead rake...? Why not? Overall, I really don't want to drink this. It's not that it's completely offensive, per se, but it's not a flavor of water I really want to have much of. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the clock never strikes Beer:30 so long as it means this brew is in the offing. (1,140 characters)

1.92/5  rDev +4.3%

got a dirty 30 in Madison. I love the purple can. Not worth pouring in a glass really. I swear the purple can makes you think it's grape soda. As cheap beers go, it's ok. $10 30 pack and decent. Drink it for the novelty, nothing else. It's no PBR but it's better than Mountain Creek... (285 characters)

1.86/5  rDev +1.1%

Bought a 30 pack so I could send a can to Woodychandler. I tried to talk him out of it, but he is on a CANquest, so who am I to stand in his way?

A - Color is on the yellow side of water. I got a finger of white head that quickly died to absolutely nothing. The obvious hallmark of a cheap beer.

S - Nothing but cheap malt and adjuncts/corn. Bleh

T - Do I have to? Well, supposing that I do, it actually isn't as bad as some adjunct lagers I have choked down before. Strong adjunct taste, little malt. I assume this is what happens when a brewer replaces every ingredient in reinheitsgebot with just corn.

M/D - Goes down like water...actually, thinner then water, which should discourage any BA's from drinking the water in Cincinnati. Drinkable? Well, I think my plan is to save this for when I am in the mood to get plowed (maybe I'll make some horrible decision like breaking up with my girlfriend) and once I have decided to drink myself into a degenerate stupor, I will reach for the rest of this case.

In the mean time....avoid. (1,041 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -0.5%

A-Pours the generic straw yellow with a thin foamy head.

S-Quite an unattractive smell, even for the style. Just very skunky and a bit too much. If I am drinking a cheap thirty (and this one is cheap!) then I want it to be pretty nondescript. This has a bit too much.

T-Even for a light lager, this one is just off. Hard to put down these at a quick rate. Just a mess.

M-A bit too heavy for a crappy light beer. Need this to be more watery for maximum drunken consumption.

O/D-The only good part about this beer is that it is the cheapest thirty I have seen in MA. It ran about $13 and I respect the gimmick they're going for here. Really gross, but hey, its cheap and eventually gets the job done...eventually. (716 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a clear yellow with a 1 inch foamy white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Looks-wise this one isn't so bad I must say. Smell is of subtle grain, sugar, and metal. There is also a weird fruitiness that I am picking up in the smell. Taste is of sugary water and slight grain flavors. This beer seems to be quite flat with a watery quality in the mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty horrible beer any way you look at it. I am glad I picked up a can to try just so I can further appreciate all the good beer I am able to enjoy. (606 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -4.3%

It pours a golden straw color. It is opaque, light passes through easily and you can make out objects on the other side without any difficulty. It poured a good finger inch thick head, but it faded rapidly to nothing, not even a film on the top or a ring around the edge. There is absolutely no lacing at all.

The first then you notice when you smell the beer is a mix of cheap malts of the corn and cereal variety. There is a touch of alcohol to the scent. To be honest the scent reminds me of my dorm room when I was in college... at the end of the year after all the spilled beer has had a time to go stale. The taste is much like the scent, Corn, cereal grains and a slight metallic taste. The metallic taste I'm pretty sure is a result of it coming in an aluminum can, at least I hope so. It reminds me of a beer that's gone stale. The aftertaste also has a metallic taste to it.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a slight carbonation.

This beer was purchased just for the name of it, kind of like a novelty? We always joke that we think its beer thirty. Of course it didn't hurt we got a 30 pack for under $12.00. When we first tried this beer we had already had a couple of other beers first and didn't think it tasted too bad. Now today as I sit here drinking it on its own without any thing altering the pallet and I have a completely different opinion of this beer. This beer reminds me of something I would have bought in college because it's all I could afford. As a grown man, I don't think I'd buy this beer again, no matter how cheap it was. (1,567 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -6%

The only good thing about this beer is its name. I only bought a 6 pack of it because of the name and it was less then 5 bucks. It is a typical college party beer but almost undrinkable for any reason,that is why 4 cans are still in my buddy's fridge.

It tasted and smelled like straight up metal: no sign of any hops, extremely bland and had a supper bubbly feel in your mouth. You are better off spending 4 bucks on one good beer then this but it is generally what you would expect from an American light beer.

You might want to buy one though just to display that silly name can in your bar. (596 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast