1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

Beer 30 LightBeer 30 Light

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006)
1.08/5  rDev -36.1%

30 pack was $12... That's the cheapest beer available in Lake of the Ozarks MO, and craft beer is pretty dismal.... I figured if I had to drink swill, it may as well be the cheapest swill... That was a mistake.

A dark yellow color that fizzes up a one finger white head-- almost seltzer water like. The head is gone very quickly, like it bubbled itself away. No lacing.
Wow. The word "bad" doesn't do this beer justice. This smells like a lemon solvent, with a hint of sourmash corn.

The taste is generic sweetness, like corn syrup or sugar, followed by a sour lemon note that could be from a sourmash or from an interesting hop procedure.

Body feels undercarbonated for the style. Kinda thick and syrupy.

Overall, this is terrible. I have 29 more of these??!! FML.
I need to set up a trade with WoodyChandler-- maybe he CAN help me out here...

AleWatcher, Jun 07, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -34.9%

11.99/30 rack.

This beer comes in a purple can. That should tell you something right off the bat. This is by far the worst tasting beer I have ever imbibed. The mouth feel is extremely thin and watery. It barely taste like beer. It just taste terrible and smells terrible, like dirty corn and urine. It leaves a strange after taste in your mouth, reminiscent of stale grape soda mixed with hooker spit that's been run across a dirty concrete floor.

The only reason I bought this was because it was cheap and the design on the case was strangely intriguing. Regardless, I hope I never have to drink this again.

Avoid at all costs.

DoubleD89, Oct 28, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -29%

I thought this was grape soda when I pulled it out of my boss's cooler.

I gagged and gagged and gagged. Normally I like perrier, but this tasted like perrier and asparagus pee. You know how your pee smells after you eat a ton of asparagus? Thats what this smells and tastes like.

It doesn't even get a full review. It has two saving graces

1. The mouthfeel is like sprite which I LOVE.

2. It has alcohol (possibly unrefined ethonol) so if you drink enough of it you might forget you're drinking Beer30 Light and just choke on your own vomit and die.

jkanavel, Dec 06, 2011

Daffron24, Aug 03, 2013

Greasy, Aug 14, 2013

Hoganlaw, Sep 21, 2013

rolltide8425, Jul 23, 2012

Can into clear glass

Bought this beer in a BARGAIN BUCKET: 2 cans for $1. I had to buy it to find out how unbelievably bad beer could be. When I searched for BEER 30 LIGHT and found NO SEARCH results I was a little worried. I thought that everyone who drank this must have died before typing up their review.

Appearance - Surprisingly though, this cheap beer looked great! Thick bubbly foam, golden, opaque color, and great looking carbonation made this one appealing from the get-go. "Holy cow," I thought "is it possible that I have just found beer heaven: an amazing pilsener for 50c a can???!!!" High hopes at this point.

Smell - Hopes were quickly dashed when I smelled this beer. Oh boy. Smells like very very cheap beer. Worse than Milwaukee Beast. Pungent.

Taste - OMG....this beer is absolutely RANCID. Just undrinkable. I am definitely tossing this beer out soon. I can't finish this glass and it's the first time that has ever happenned with a beer.

Mouthfeel - no carbonation....all those appealing bubbles I saw when I poured the beer out must have vanished before finding my mouth.

Drinkability - thank God I only bought two cans. One of the worst dollars I ever spent. Even though it was only a buck, I am seriously thinking about going back to that liquor store in Shelbyville, Kentucky and getting my money back. This beer is downright criminal.

mcampanella, May 08, 2009

WVUbrew, Jun 30, 2014

thegerm87, Mar 11, 2012
1.3/5  rDev -23.1%

Originally purchased by a *thrifty* member of my college fraternity for a party, it was deemed unfit for beer-pong beer. Beer30 Light has become the stuff of legends - dark, terrible legends - in our social group.

Appearance - It would do Beer30 Light a disservice to just say "urine," as its color is a shade paler and foamier than that. Phantom urine, perhaps. There is an ethereal quality to the brew that makes one pause before drinking, in respect.

Smell - In my privileged life, I have rarely had occasion to empathize with industrial workers. However, the metallic, poisonous fruit-smell seeping out of the venomous purple cans caused me to briefly consider the life of a chemical plant worker.

Taste - Shit.

Mouthfeel - Didn't you read "Taste?" It's got this incredible carbonation, like a violently-shaken can of cola, that lasts about 6 seconds before it suddenly and abruptly becomes totally flat. The makers of Beer30 Light have somehow created a beer that is actually BREWED stale.

Overall - "When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." (-Nietzsche)

AAdam, Jul 27, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -20.1%

I got a can of this at a burger restaurant for 50 cents. My recommendation? Save your money.

A: Can't say much for the appearance as I didn't have a glass to pour into.

S: Weird chemical grape flavor. Not very appetizing.

T: Awful. Still tastes like chemicals and metal. Extremely watery. Also I don't know if it's the purple can but I swear it tastes like grape.

M: water

D: I guess you could say it's drinkable since it is so watery. At the opposite end of the spectrum from a "challenging" beer, but at the same time repulsive to anyone with a decent sense of taste.

Overall, avoid. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

skittlebrau, Oct 20, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a tall can for $0.89. I couldn't pass it up because it looks ridiculous. Can poured into glass stein.

A - Straw yellow, lots of carbonation. Hardly any head whatsoever. Lace on side of glass.

S - Metallic, sour, alcohol. Slight corny. Smells nearly like bile or stomach acid.

T - Smell was what I had expected but the taste was the same. Sour, alcohol, fruityness. And not in a good way. Taste like bile. Sickly sweet upfront, acidic in the rear.

M - Carbonation was not horrible, if the beer tasted better. Thin watery, and hard to allow down your gullet. Almost a gagging sort of difficulty with it.

D - I do not know if I can finish this one.

Look here, I understand beer makers make cheap beer to appeal to larger crowds. Look what A&B has done with Bud light! Not to compare the two but jesus. This stuff is hardly drinkable by any means. I do not understand or know anyone in college or not, that would drink this swill under gun point even. This beer is awful. The metallic taste, the gagging suppression to swallow a mouth full.

Forget this I am pouring it down the sink.
Not work the pocket change I forked over for it.

Never again. Not even in the most desperate of times.

Clockwork420, Oct 28, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

This beer was purchased in a 30-pack because It was the absolute cheapest beer in the store, and I was a college student just wanting to play drinking games.

A - an extremely pale color similar to watery urine

S - smells like a budwieser after you leave it in a red cup overnight.

T - a very specific watery-metallic taste fills the palate, not resembling typical malt + hops beer in any fashion

M - feels like fizzy soda pop in my mouth

Overall, it's not too offensive to drink, which gives a 1.5, but just barely.

BenHesk12, Feb 15, 2012
1.48/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Decent foam to begin with. Very flat though. No bubbles.

Smell: No real smell to speak of. Mostly stale, gassy corn or some other grain.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Metal water. Overall bad. I definitely taste some grain. The mouthfeel is dreadful. Basically feels like flat water.

Drinkability: The bad taste and awful feel do this one in.

Overall: Just a bad choice overall.

tjsdomer2, Sep 06, 2010
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can, graciously shared at the July Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a sickly yellowish straw color, evoking images of corn cob aged hose water, with a sputtering gray head. It could be power of suggestion with the laughable purple can, or it could be a really weird gross fermentation, but I'm getting some distinct grape notes on the nose. Beyond that, maybe some rotting grains. Flavor thankfully eases up on the fruit solvent and retreats into your basic dirty pale lager with dusty corny grains and a vanishing unsavory finish. Carbonation is surprisingly low for the style, giving a tap watery impression. No reason to ever drink this even for free. Well, the tick is worth it.

illidurit, Jul 25, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -12.4%

A - Straw colored and pale with no foam at the top

S - Stale beer from cups that have been sitting out for 2 days

T - Tasted like I had licked the can and then sucked on some wheat

M - Harsh bubbles but goes to flat quickly

O - Contrary to what they believe, it is a never a good time

BTFU, Feb 15, 2012
1.48/5  rDev -12.4%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly. Lots of carbonation. 2.0

S - Smells like grain alcohol, yeast, and hops. Slight metallic odor present as well as a bit of a champagne scent...though I have no clue as to why. 1.5

T - Interesting taste. Crisp and light, very similar in flavor to your other adjunct american lagers. The interesting thing is that there is a strong aftertaste of grape and champagne. Again, how these flavors ended up in a beer completely baffles me. 1.5

M - Extremely carbonated and bubbly, but dies down to flatness once it warms up in your mouth. Horrible. Just horrible. 1.0

O - Why? Just why? Spend the extra money and get PBR, Budweiser, Landshark...anything other than this. 1.5

rudolphjacksonm, Nov 08, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -12.4%

Two ways to consider this: I have enough of a sense of humor about beer to drop 2.50 on a six pack of a beer that seems to market itself as something horrible, with its gaudy purple can and, well, name. "Beer" is all it says. "30 Light" is much smaller. That's kind of funny.

The other way is that I'm an idiot who just bought something that is marketed as being horrible and I should expect any pain that this brew may cause me.

Tepid pour. Very light yellow with a small, very short-lived head.

Smells at first of nothing. When it warms it takes on the absolutely repugnant odor of a can of a regular bad macro that's been sitting for a few days. Ya'know, that smell of week old Bud. Well, this was opened ten minutes ago and it smells like that.

Tastes...not half bad, actually. A little metal but a surpising amount of fruit esters, especially for a light lager. Seriously, if the smell wasn't so goddamn horrible this would be a top notch light. Erm... okay as it warms it starts to taste like it smells.

Oh, and it should also work on the mournful dispepsia it causes. And the headache.

mynie, Sep 24, 2006

pperez38, Jan 22, 2012

Robyn, Jul 30, 2014

rpenterics, Aug 09, 2013
1.6/5  rDev -5.3%

Tryed this beer with a friend the other night just for kicks. ( And it was the cheapest I've seen for a 30 in a while.)

The appearance was like any other cheap light beer. Pale, straw yellow with a decent head that faded extremely quickly. No lacing either.

Smell was also very generic. Pretty much nothing going on there.

Taste was actually interesting. Along with the normal light beer taste there was a slight champagne taste to it. Notes of that and a little grape flavor was present.

Mouthfeel was very unenjoyable. Extremely over carbonated and generally hard to put down.

Overall the beer is what you pay for it. Wouldn't mind spending the few extra dollars for budlight though.

Pete27lax, Sep 23, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -3.6%

24oz (ug) purple can poured into a pint glass. $0.99 price sticker still on it.

Appearance
The head threatens to fizzle out even before I'm done pouring. What the hell? Even most of the big boys manage a better appearance than this totally flat looking specimen. The color is a clear, pale gold. No signs of life. A pint glass of apple juice makes a better looking beer than this.

Aroma
I think the grape soda looking can is getting to me, because this stuff smells like artificial grape flavoring. Grape bubblegum and cereal. Its really sweet, but strangely not that gross.

Taste
The grape bubblegum aroma is transferred directly into the taste. Its crazy sweet with no signs of hops at all. This doesn't taste much like your typical beer, its far sweeter than that. Some metallic tastes come and go.

Mouthfeel
Given the crazy sweetness of this beer it comes as no surprise that this stuff is slick with no signs of dryness at all. The carbonation stabs away at the tongue.

Overall
Not impressed with this one. Way too sweet and all around strange, right down to the purple can with a drawing of disembodied arm on it.

MbpBugeye, Jun 04, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Pale yellow with a quickly disappearing head of large bubbles that burned off super fast with an audible ssss, like a burning fuse. The nose is pure creamed corn with a touch of band aid. This brew tastes like it costs.. cheap as hell and hard to choke down. Cooked corn is the main flavor here. Light and highly carbonated. A pretty bad beer.

biggred1, Sep 17, 2009