2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

Beer 30 LightBeer 30 Light

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006)
View: Beers (25) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 79 | Reviews: 48 | Show All Ratings:
VivaLaBeer

As far as cheap beer goes, you cannot go wrong with Beer 30 light. Sometimes when I'm half a 30 rack in I wonder if God himself crafted this delectable beverage. Whenever I'm craving a taste of perfect I pour myself a pint. I have to take a little bit of time to thank my father for exposing me to Beer 30 fourteen years ago. On a drunken post-deerhunting cruise through northern Wisconsin, I pulled into a bar and casually asked the bartender for his finest refreshment under fifty cents. I honestly wasn't expecting much until the color purple hit my taste buds.

Whether you are looking to have a night filled with class or you are drinking to forget, Beer 30 is the only choice. Unless you want to drink a crappy, subpar beer, then stay away from Beer 30. Make sure your expectations are high before cracking a cold one, the sheer shock of unexpected amazingness may kill you.

02-11-2014 12:52:09 | More by VivaLaBeer
AAdam

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Originally purchased by a *thrifty* member of my college fraternity for a party, it was deemed unfit for beer-pong beer. Beer30 Light has become the stuff of legends - dark, terrible legends - in our social group.

Appearance - It would do Beer30 Light a disservice to just say "urine," as its color is a shade paler and foamier than that. Phantom urine, perhaps. There is an ethereal quality to the brew that makes one pause before drinking, in respect.

Smell - In my privileged life, I have rarely had occasion to empathize with industrial workers. However, the metallic, poisonous fruit-smell seeping out of the venomous purple cans caused me to briefly consider the life of a chemical plant worker.

Taste - Shit.

Mouthfeel - Didn't you read "Taste?" It's got this incredible carbonation, like a violently-shaken can of cola, that lasts about 6 seconds before it suddenly and abruptly becomes totally flat. The makers of Beer30 Light have somehow created a beer that is actually BREWED stale.

Overall - "When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." (-Nietzsche)

07-27-2012 09:40:42 | More by AAdam
MarkfromWisconsin

A delicious beer perfect for anyone at anytime. From the first pop of the top you know you are in a for real treat. I believe it was John F. Kennedy who said "My fellow Americans, ask not what Beer 30 can do for you, ask what you can do for Beer 30." Shame on all these other reviewers for belittling such a prestigious beverage and truly a founding father of the beer family.

While some beers are meant to be paired with a ethereal piece of dark chocolate or a delectable square of cheese, Beer 30 is best paired with another Beer 30.

True Story: I was at a local watering hole in suburban Wisconsin when I first spoke 4 words that would change my life forever...."One Beer 30, please". Upon my first sip of a Beer 30 I frantically called the bartender over in panic, as I was certain he mistakenly served me liquid diamonds or the tears of a unicorn. I had no idea how I was going to pay for such a heavenly potion. I embarrassingly explained my situation as a sly smile slowly appeared on the bartenders face. With my head down in shame and sorrow, I asked how much it was and with a wink of the eye, the bartender whispered 30 cents.

Fact: The War of 1812 was actually fought over two sides arguing whether Beer 30 is better served cold or warm.

Fact: J.K. Rowling originally intended to call the 5th Harry Potter book - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Beer 30.

Only give Beer 30 a try if your in the mood for an excellent beer and enjoy being in a state of nirvana.

07-15-2012 22:27:46 | More by MarkfromWisconsin
UCLABrewN84

1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a clear yellow with a 1 inch foamy white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Looks-wise this one isn't so bad I must say. Smell is of subtle grain, sugar, and metal. There is also a weird fruitiness that I am picking up in the smell. Taste is of sugary water and slight grain flavors. This beer seems to be quite flat with a watery quality in the mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty horrible beer any way you look at it. I am glad I picked up a can to try just so I can further appreciate all the good beer I am able to enjoy.

05-04-2012 04:01:07 | More by UCLABrewN84
BTFU

Indiana

1.48/5  rDev -20%

A - Straw colored and pale with no foam at the top

S - Stale beer from cups that have been sitting out for 2 days

T - Tasted like I had licked the can and then sucked on some wheat

M - Harsh bubbles but goes to flat quickly

O - Contrary to what they believe, it is a never a good time

02-15-2012 23:48:01 | More by BTFU
BenHesk12

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

This beer was purchased in a 30-pack because It was the absolute cheapest beer in the store, and I was a college student just wanting to play drinking games.

A - an extremely pale color similar to watery urine

S - smells like a budwieser after you leave it in a red cup overnight.

T - a very specific watery-metallic taste fills the palate, not resembling typical malt + hops beer in any fashion

M - feels like fizzy soda pop in my mouth

Overall, it's not too offensive to drink, which gives a 1.5, but just barely.

02-15-2012 02:30:47 | More by BenHesk12
donmonkey1

Tennessee

2.78/5  rDev +50.3%

Appearance:Golden yellow with a frothy white head. The head recedes a little too quickly but there's good lacing. However, there is a lack of carbonation that makes it not very inviting.

Smell: Mild coffee smell with a hint of honey.

Taste: Very slight metallic taste followed with a very, very, mild sweet/sour taste. Also a hint of grape.

Mouthfeel: light with pretty good carbonation.

Easy drinking, thirst quenching beer, great for parties if you want to drink a lot (especially for a low price.) Nothing really offensive but nothing good.

02-02-2012 22:23:38 | More by donmonkey1
jkanavel

1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

I thought this was grape soda when I pulled it out of my boss's cooler.

I gagged and gagged and gagged. Normally I like perrier, but this tasted like perrier and asparagus pee. You know how your pee smells after you eat a ton of asparagus? Thats what this smells and tastes like.

It doesn't even get a full review. It has two saving graces

1. The mouthfeel is like sprite which I LOVE.

2. It has alcohol (possibly unrefined ethonol) so if you drink enough of it you might forget you're drinking Beer30 Light and just choke on your own vomit and die.

12-06-2011 08:09:15 | More by jkanavel
tylerprince

Colorado

Bought this beer as a joke this Thanksgiving. Without a doubt the worst beer I have ever tasted. As a matter of fact, you should try this. Because nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is this gross. One of my friends tried to shotgun one and failed miserably. His dog, who had consumed a fair amount of beer off the floor the previous night, wouldn't touch the spillage.

A: Urine. With some bubbles.

S: Smells stale fresh out of the can. Like a frat house.

T: Tastes like Busch light, but weaker. At the same time, there's a hint of grape. I have no idea how it got there.

M: Really heavily carbonated.

O: Really terrible. Good to know about for bets (worst beer) and party tricks (make someone vomit).

11-30-2011 23:01:13 | More by tylerprince
Duff27

2.3/5  rDev +24.3%

A- Half inch of a fizzy white head on a clear, very pale body. Low head retention properties and no lacing.

S- Not a pleasant smell although I don't know what it is akin too. light lemon zest perhaps.

T- Weird, semi-metallic fruity aftertaste...up until that point not bad at all. Easy drinking besides that.

M- Feels good in the mouth for the style. Medium bodies, high carbonation. Best feature of Beer 30 Light.

D/O- If they could get rid of that off-putting taste at the end of each gulp this could be a winner (read: average). As it stands now, the best thing I took out of this 24 ouncer was a can tick.

11-23-2011 23:34:29 | More by Duff27
Pegasus

2.5/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a small, snow-white head of coarse bubbles and which resembles soap foam. The carbonation ia profuse, fast-rising and composed of rather large bubbles. The lacing is slight and scattered.

Aroma; Cooked corn dominates the aroma, there are faint metallic hops, a mineral note, and a bit of alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a bit of tart malt, this slightly sour flavor, along with a modest white bread flavor, carries throughout. Late in the taste, a ghostly metallic hop note appears, bringing the taste to a close.

Mouth feel: Soft, thin, watery, with a bit of stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An average example of the style. At sixty-nine cents a can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce aluminum can, served in a standard Pilsener glass

11-13-2011 18:46:24 | More by Pegasus
rudolphjacksonm

1.48/5  rDev -20%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly. Lots of carbonation. 2.0

S - Smells like grain alcohol, yeast, and hops. Slight metallic odor present as well as a bit of a champagne scent...though I have no clue as to why. 1.5

T - Interesting taste. Crisp and light, very similar in flavor to your other adjunct american lagers. The interesting thing is that there is a strong aftertaste of grape and champagne. Again, how these flavors ended up in a beer completely baffles me. 1.5

M - Extremely carbonated and bubbly, but dies down to flatness once it warms up in your mouth. Horrible. Just horrible. 1.0

O - Why? Just why? Spend the extra money and get PBR, Budweiser, Landshark...anything other than this. 1.5

11-08-2011 03:25:34 | More by rudolphjacksonm
Pete27lax

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Tryed this beer with a friend the other night just for kicks. ( And it was the cheapest I've seen for a 30 in a while.)

The appearance was like any other cheap light beer. Pale, straw yellow with a decent head that faded extremely quickly. No lacing either.

Smell was also very generic. Pretty much nothing going on there.

Taste was actually interesting. Along with the normal light beer taste there was a slight champagne taste to it. Notes of that and a little grape flavor was present.

Mouthfeel was very unenjoyable. Extremely over carbonated and generally hard to put down.

Overall the beer is what you pay for it. Wouldn't mind spending the few extra dollars for budlight though.

09-23-2011 07:08:06 | More by Pete27lax
dcall384

Indiana

My friend and I bought this as a joke. We paid 9.99 for 30 beers; so we knew it would not be good. This beer taste like water with some grape flavoring in it. It also tasted like tap water. I did not bother pouring it into a glass, but I imagine it would have poured almost clear. There is nothing good about this beer unless you just want to get buzzed for cheap, or are having people over you don't like. Avoid this beer! It is not worth the $10 I spent.

08-11-2011 13:15:51 | More by dcall384
illidurit

look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can, graciously shared at the July Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a sickly yellowish straw color, evoking images of corn cob aged hose water, with a sputtering gray head. It could be power of suggestion with the laughable purple can, or it could be a really weird gross fermentation, but I'm getting some distinct grape notes on the nose. Beyond that, maybe some rotting grains. Flavor thankfully eases up on the fruit solvent and retreats into your basic dirty pale lager with dusty corny grains and a vanishing unsavory finish. Carbonation is surprisingly low for the style, giving a tap watery impression. No reason to ever drink this even for free. Well, the tick is worth it.

07-25-2011 07:31:21 | More by illidurit
VelvetExtract

1.85/5  rDev 0%

A-Pours the generic straw yellow with a thin foamy head.

S-Quite an unattractive smell, even for the style. Just very skunky and a bit too much. If I am drinking a cheap thirty (and this one is cheap!) then I want it to be pretty nondescript. This has a bit too much.

T-Even for a light lager, this one is just off. Hard to put down these at a quick rate. Just a mess.

M-A bit too heavy for a crappy light beer. Need this to be more watery for maximum drunken consumption.

O/D-The only good part about this beer is that it is the cheapest thirty I have seen in MA. It ran about $13 and I respect the gimmick they're going for here. Really gross, but hey, its cheap and eventually gets the job done...eventually.

06-17-2011 02:32:51 | More by VelvetExtract
womencantsail

2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Also from the 99 cent store.

A: This one pours a pale straw color with a minimal white head forming. Already not living up to Beer 30 Ice...

S: Rotten vegetables is the best way I can think to describe this aroma. A bit of garbage and paper is also there. Sure, plenty of corn, sugar, and metal, too.

T: Very corny and vegetal. Lots of sweet apple juice flavor and a nice metallic note. Mildly sour and lemony. Though not intense, the flavor is certainly abrasive.

M: Light in body with a medium to high carbonation.

O: Somehow, worse than Beer 30 Ice.

06-11-2011 18:43:34 | More by womencantsail
AleWatcher

1.08/5  rDev -41.6%

30 pack was $12... That's the cheapest beer available in Lake of the Ozarks MO, and craft beer is pretty dismal.... I figured if I had to drink swill, it may as well be the cheapest swill... That was a mistake.

A dark yellow color that fizzes up a one finger white head-- almost seltzer water like. The head is gone very quickly, like it bubbled itself away. No lacing.
Wow. The word "bad" doesn't do this beer justice. This smells like a lemon solvent, with a hint of sourmash corn.

The taste is generic sweetness, like corn syrup or sugar, followed by a sour lemon note that could be from a sourmash or from an interesting hop procedure.

Body feels undercarbonated for the style. Kinda thick and syrupy.

Overall, this is terrible. I have 29 more of these??!! FML.
I need to set up a trade with WoodyChandler-- maybe he CAN help me out here...

06-07-2011 14:13:21 | More by AleWatcher
MbpBugeye

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

24oz (ug) purple can poured into a pint glass. $0.99 price sticker still on it.

Appearance
The head threatens to fizzle out even before I'm done pouring. What the hell? Even most of the big boys manage a better appearance than this totally flat looking specimen. The color is a clear, pale gold. No signs of life. A pint glass of apple juice makes a better looking beer than this.

Aroma
I think the grape soda looking can is getting to me, because this stuff smells like artificial grape flavoring. Grape bubblegum and cereal. Its really sweet, but strangely not that gross.

Taste
The grape bubblegum aroma is transferred directly into the taste. Its crazy sweet with no signs of hops at all. This doesn't taste much like your typical beer, its far sweeter than that. Some metallic tastes come and go.

Mouthfeel
Given the crazy sweetness of this beer it comes as no surprise that this stuff is slick with no signs of dryness at all. The carbonation stabs away at the tongue.

Overall
Not impressed with this one. Way too sweet and all around strange, right down to the purple can with a drawing of disembodied arm on it.

06-04-2011 21:56:46 | More by MbpBugeye
Wetpaperbag

Washington

2.9/5  rDev +56.8%

I had this at a wedding reception this past weekend. My friends and I saw the people with the purpleish blue can and though that they were drinking grape soda. No, it was Beer 30 Light. I also found out this weekend that I truly can't drink Macro lagers any more as there is just way way way too much carbonation. This beer fits that tab nicely. After drinking this we all tried to place what beer it tasted like. Here is what people came up with: Keystone Light, Natural Light, Olympia, and Hamms. I figure it was more like all of the above sans Olympia.

A- I had it in the can. My guess is light.

S- Smelled like macro lager, nothing stood out except the fact it was kinda light on the smell.

T- I thought it tasted like most other beers of the style. My friend felt like it had a rubber taste like someone swirled a condom in it. Of course we all proceeded to make fun of him for quite a while for that comment with a variety of jokes.

M- Good, unless you are my friend and probably real good mouth feel...rubber and all.

O- The price is right for a quantity over quality beer.

05-05-2011 04:37:38 | More by Wetpaperbag
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.65/5  rDev +43.2%

Beer 30 Light has a thick, egg-shell colored head and a clear, golden appearance with some bubbles streaming up and little lacing left. The aroma is strange, to say the least, with a green sour apple scent and other smells I can't detect. The taste is also peculiar, with that sour green apple aspect and other funny flavors I just cannot place. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beer 30 Light finishes crisp, refreshing, and dry. This is a beer worth trying, because it's so unusual.

RJT

04-12-2011 00:52:09 | More by RonaldTheriot
EgadBananas

Louisiana

2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

24oz TALLboy can poured into a 1L Spaten mug!! Set me back a buck, I couldn't resist!

Pale, straw colored clear liquid fell into the mug forming a couple of fingers of puffy white head that dwindled down to a soapy film on the top.

Nothing much on the aroma aside from some corny sweetness and metal (admittedly I'd say not from the can...just that metallic crap lager taste)

Light grainy, corny sweetness. It's palatable, but if it had a fraction more sweetness to it, it'd be cloying.

Slightly crisp, light, but has a heavier, creamy feel which is nice, but for the style, a crisper bite would have been more refreshing.

Overall, not hard to put back. I don't know really if I was taking huge gulps because it was easy, or I was ready to move on to a KBS or something!

02-12-2011 23:46:56 | More by EgadBananas
vacax

2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

Can purchased for sixty cents poured into a goblet. Felt nearly aristocratic pouring it into the goblet. Pours fairly deep gold, more color than a typical light beer, and decent head for one too. Looking good, though what doesn't in this goblet. The nose also has a bit more to it than the superlight beers of today. Nothing bad though, maybe a bit of honey malt and a bit of a savory contrast. Tastes like apple cider, low to moderate bitterness on the midpalate and a chlorinated coppery finish. Actually this kind of reminds me of Victoria Bitter. Note to Ozzies in the USA. Honestly, this is pretty inoffensive, though the flavors don't scream stereotypical American light beer at me. Nicely carbonated with decent body too. Seems like people love to hate on this, but it is actually pretty palatable for a light lager. Worth buying if not just to constantly ask people what time it is and wait for them to respond... Beer 30!

02-06-2011 04:22:58 | More by vacax
bymyheelicarenot

1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

The only good thing about this beer is its name. I only bought a 6 pack of it because of the name and it was less then 5 bucks. It is a typical college party beer but almost undrinkable for any reason,that is why 4 cans are still in my buddy's fridge.

It tasted and smelled like straight up metal: no sign of any hops, extremely bland and had a supper bubbly feel in your mouth. You are better off spending 4 bucks on one good beer then this but it is generally what you would expect from an American light beer.

You might want to buy one though just to display that silly name can in your bar.

12-28-2010 03:32:47 | More by bymyheelicarenot
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, very light malts and almost no hops.

T: The taste starts with an adjunct and light malt sweetness that is followed by a thin grain breadiness. The hops presence is nearly undetectable. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Watery, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Almost no flavor at all, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to it, very mild kick, I don't see how they can honestly call this "Premium Beer" on the can when it barely passes for beer at all.

12-23-2010 03:38:35 | More by TheManiacalOne