2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

Beer 30 LightBeer 30 Light

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006)
View: Beers (25) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 79 | Reviews: 48 | Show All Ratings:
TMoney2591

1.98/5  rDev +7%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to my buddy and his Iowa City-based alma mater, I now have a case o' this. Yeah. It pours a clear deep sallow topped by a rather short-lived bit o' fizzy white foam. The nose is nearly as devoid of scent as the surface of the moon (since, according to my research, the moon's not really made of cheese (seriously? when did this happen!?), I figure it's pretty scent-less), with only some mild corn chaff finding it's way into the 'strils. The taste doesn't try too hard to one-up the smell, though a very mild sweetness vainly tries to pervade the otherwise tasteless liquid. As my boy Filbert once said, this thing went down "like a lead rake". Interestingly, the body is very light, with a fizzy carbonation and a watery feel. So...I guess it's more apt to say it went down too easily...like...a lead rake...? Why not? Overall, I really don't want to drink this. It's not that it's completely offensive, per se, but it's not a flavor of water I really want to have much of. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the clock never strikes Beer:30 so long as it means this brew is in the offing.

11-20-2010 08:23:05 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Served in a pint glass, because I need to make this fancier than it is.

I blame/thank TMoney2591 for this can

This beer pours a light golden color with a finger of foam...wait nevermind the foam is gone. The smell is faint and almost nothing, which I would have thought good...but as it turns out there is a corn adjunct smell that I don't ever like to smell. In addition I think there is soap, it's not offensive, but it's not good either. The taste is in that not good range. It is definitely made with rice because this tastes of malt and cheap sake. I think that I taste the soap as well. There's also that weak apple core taste as well. Not great. It's ok on the palate, the watery flavor isn't good, but I suppose it's better than the opposite. It's drinkable if you want. I don't want to.

11-06-2010 21:47:31 | More by Vdubb86
DoubleD89

1.1/5  rDev -40.5%

11.99/30 rack.

This beer comes in a purple can. That should tell you something right off the bat. This is by far the worst tasting beer I have ever imbibed. The mouth feel is extremely thin and watery. It barely taste like beer. It just taste terrible and smells terrible, like dirty corn and urine. It leaves a strange after taste in your mouth, reminiscent of stale grape soda mixed with hooker spit that's been run across a dirty concrete floor.

The only reason I bought this was because it was cheap and the design on the case was strangely intriguing. Regardless, I hope I never have to drink this again.

Avoid at all costs.

10-28-2010 06:22:30 | More by DoubleD89
Clockwork420

Missouri

1.4/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a tall can for $0.89. I couldn't pass it up because it looks ridiculous. Can poured into glass stein.

A - Straw yellow, lots of carbonation. Hardly any head whatsoever. Lace on side of glass.

S - Metallic, sour, alcohol. Slight corny. Smells nearly like bile or stomach acid.

T - Smell was what I had expected but the taste was the same. Sour, alcohol, fruityness. And not in a good way. Taste like bile. Sickly sweet upfront, acidic in the rear.

M - Carbonation was not horrible, if the beer tasted better. Thin watery, and hard to allow down your gullet. Almost a gagging sort of difficulty with it.

D - I do not know if I can finish this one.

Look here, I understand beer makers make cheap beer to appeal to larger crowds. Look what A&B has done with Bud light! Not to compare the two but jesus. This stuff is hardly drinkable by any means. I do not understand or know anyone in college or not, that would drink this swill under gun point even. This beer is awful. The metallic taste, the gagging suppression to swallow a mouth full.

Forget this I am pouring it down the sink.
Not work the pocket change I forked over for it.

Never again. Not even in the most desperate of times.

10-28-2010 05:57:40 | More by Clockwork420
skittlebrau

1.35/5  rDev -27%

I got a can of this at a burger restaurant for 50 cents. My recommendation? Save your money.

A: Can't say much for the appearance as I didn't have a glass to pour into.

S: Weird chemical grape flavor. Not very appetizing.

T: Awful. Still tastes like chemicals and metal. Extremely watery. Also I don't know if it's the purple can but I swear it tastes like grape.

M: water

D: I guess you could say it's drinkable since it is so watery. At the opposite end of the spectrum from a "challenging" beer, but at the same time repulsive to anyone with a decent sense of taste.

Overall, avoid. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

10-20-2010 16:06:22 | More by skittlebrau
drunkboxer1

2.8/5  rDev +51.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Yellow with oily white bubbles. Smells sweet and grainy. Do you know how Cobra smells? It kinda smells like that but a bit more muted. Not particularly refreshing, as you would expect in a light American lager, but kinda sweet and slick. Maybe its the silly joke-name it has or maybe its the fact that the can reminds me of grape soda, but I think it's fairly drinkable.

10-12-2010 02:59:28 | More by drunkboxer1
Tombstone12

4.05/5  rDev +118.9%

May seem as a cola representation of Pepsi, but seems to quench the thirst like a Gatorade. First off the color of the can makes my girlfriend happy plus the sight of a man drinking out of a purple can is complete manliness. The smell is similar to a draft beer at many restaurant locations. Although it does smell a tad bit watered down I appreciate the drink ability much more than the smell. This beer is like buying Vaseline when needing KY Jelly. The taste is unique yet not as pleasing as a top of the line beer but the drink ability is exceptional.

Highly recommended for a middle class unique heavy partier. Cheap enough for beer pong yet good enough for Sunday Night Football. The price is right whether it's day or night.

10-09-2010 02:13:32 | More by Tombstone12
tjsdomer2

1.48/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Decent foam to begin with. Very flat though. No bubbles.

Smell: No real smell to speak of. Mostly stale, gassy corn or some other grain.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Metal water. Overall bad. I definitely taste some grain. The mouthfeel is dreadful. Basically feels like flat water.

Drinkability: The bad taste and awful feel do this one in.

Overall: Just a bad choice overall.

09-06-2010 05:20:43 | More by tjsdomer2
FreshHawk

1.7/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Clear golden color with a slightly than larger, foamy, rocky, sticky, white head. Retention is below average and settles into a thin ring of lace. Similar to other mass produced light lagers.

S - Very faint and thin. Some grain and corn aroma that is similar to other light lagers. Some mineral aroma as well. Not great.

T - A lot of cooked corn and grain provides most of the flavor. Some mineral and maybe a hint of apple and other fruitiness. Taste kind of like a cheap light lager mixed with a cheap cider.

M - Light body with a lot of carbonation. Typical to the style.

D - Not really all that drinkable. Taste isn't great and it doesn't refresh as much as other macro made light lagers.

Notes: Not really all that great of a beer and shows that you get what you pay for. I'll probably stick to PBR or Miller High Life for my cheap beer, but if you want a bit more of a fruitiness in your cheap beer, this may be for you. Plus the label/name is kind of funny.

09-05-2010 03:38:29 | More by FreshHawk
hu5om

Wisconsin

1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

got a dirty 30 in Madison. I love the purple can. Not worth pouring in a glass really. I swear the purple can makes you think it's grape soda. As cheap beers go, it's ok. $10 30 pack and decent. Drink it for the novelty, nothing else. It's no PBR but it's better than Mountain Creek...

06-25-2010 01:55:00 | More by hu5om
tone77

2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by corn. Taste is like water with a touch of beer flavoring. Not much going on at all. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall there is nothing to recomend about this beer.

05-17-2010 13:38:11 | More by tone77
Contagion

1.73/5  rDev -6.5%

It pours a golden straw color. It is opaque, light passes through easily and you can make out objects on the other side without any difficulty. It poured a good finger inch thick head, but it faded rapidly to nothing, not even a film on the top or a ring around the edge. There is absolutely no lacing at all.

The first then you notice when you smell the beer is a mix of cheap malts of the corn and cereal variety. There is a touch of alcohol to the scent. To be honest the scent reminds me of my dorm room when I was in college... at the end of the year after all the spilled beer has had a time to go stale. The taste is much like the scent, Corn, cereal grains and a slight metallic taste. The metallic taste I'm pretty sure is a result of it coming in an aluminum can, at least I hope so. It reminds me of a beer that's gone stale. The aftertaste also has a metallic taste to it.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a slight carbonation.

This beer was purchased just for the name of it, kind of like a novelty? We always joke that we think its beer thirty. Of course it didn't hurt we got a 30 pack for under $12.00. When we first tried this beer we had already had a couple of other beers first and didn't think it tasted too bad. Now today as I sit here drinking it on its own without any thing altering the pallet and I have a completely different opinion of this beer. This beer reminds me of something I would have bought in college because it's all I could afford. As a grown man, I don't think I'd buy this beer again, no matter how cheap it was.

04-15-2010 01:38:45 | More by Contagion
woodychandler

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

I totally get the concept of this beer - it is always Beer:30 when I get home from a day of teaching. I just wish that I could have tried its leaded counterpart first. Onward!

I must be slipping - my pour only produced a little better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with really low retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It looked like sunshine in a glass as I peered into the gloaming through my kitchen window. The nose was sweet, mostly cereal, but also some of that fruity bubblegum. Oof. Mouthfeel was fuller than I might expect in a light beer, but that did not help the cloyingly sweet taste I got on the tongue. Double oof. The finish left me wondering how many more of these kinds of beers I am going to encounter on the CANQuest. I CAN only hope that more craft brewers turn to CANs in the near future.

12-24-2009 21:49:51 | More by woodychandler
mwa423

1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Bought a 30 pack so I could send a can to Woodychandler. I tried to talk him out of it, but he is on a CANquest, so who am I to stand in his way?

A - Color is on the yellow side of water. I got a finger of white head that quickly died to absolutely nothing. The obvious hallmark of a cheap beer.

S - Nothing but cheap malt and adjuncts/corn. Bleh

T - Do I have to? Well, supposing that I do, it actually isn't as bad as some adjunct lagers I have choked down before. Strong adjunct taste, little malt. I assume this is what happens when a brewer replaces every ingredient in reinheitsgebot with just corn.

M/D - Goes down like water...actually, thinner then water, which should discourage any BA's from drinking the water in Cincinnati. Drinkable? Well, I think my plan is to save this for when I am in the mood to get plowed (maybe I'll make some horrible decision like breaking up with my girlfriend) and once I have decided to drink myself into a degenerate stupor, I will reach for the rest of this case.

In the mean time....avoid.

12-12-2009 02:18:04 | More by mwa423
biggred1

Indiana

1.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Pale yellow with a quickly disappearing head of large bubbles that burned off super fast with an audible ssss, like a burning fuse. The nose is pure creamed corn with a touch of band aid. This brew tastes like it costs.. cheap as hell and hard to choke down. Cooked corn is the main flavor here. Light and highly carbonated. A pretty bad beer.

09-17-2009 02:08:45 | More by biggred1
mcampanella

Kentucky

1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

Can into clear glass

Bought this beer in a BARGAIN BUCKET: 2 cans for $1. I had to buy it to find out how unbelievably bad beer could be. When I searched for BEER 30 LIGHT and found NO SEARCH results I was a little worried. I thought that everyone who drank this must have died before typing up their review.

Appearance - Surprisingly though, this cheap beer looked great! Thick bubbly foam, golden, opaque color, and great looking carbonation made this one appealing from the get-go. "Holy cow," I thought "is it possible that I have just found beer heaven: an amazing pilsener for 50c a can???!!!" High hopes at this point.

Smell - Hopes were quickly dashed when I smelled this beer. Oh boy. Smells like very very cheap beer. Worse than Milwaukee Beast. Pungent.

Taste - OMG....this beer is absolutely RANCID. Just undrinkable. I am definitely tossing this beer out soon. I can't finish this glass and it's the first time that has ever happenned with a beer.

Mouthfeel - no carbonation....all those appealing bubbles I saw when I poured the beer out must have vanished before finding my mouth.

Drinkability - thank God I only bought two cans. One of the worst dollars I ever spent. Even though it was only a buck, I am seriously thinking about going back to that liquor store in Shelbyville, Kentucky and getting my money back. This beer is downright criminal.

05-07-2009 23:04:03 | More by mcampanella
Gyle41386

South Carolina

1.98/5  rDev +7%

Review #100. And what better way to do it than with a can of Beer 30 Light? Big thanks to the jokers at Sam's in Lexington for throwing a can of this into April's Beer Club mix six packs. They came up with some story about it being their version of an Easter egg hunt, and how some of the cans had stickers on the bottom that were good for other beer in the store. I personally believe this was their version of an April Fool's prank.

Poured from a can into a pilsner glass, although it would probably be more appropriate to drink straight from the can.

Quick note: Yes, I'm reviewing to style. I know anything BMC, or anything closely resembling BMC, gets shitty reviews that say "It tastes like crap" with all 1's, when most are stylistically average at worst.

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow. If you don't see any head, you're probably not using a clean glass. This one had two fingers, easily. Of course, it lasted for under a minute, leaving practically no foam behind. Ever seen the label on a Smuttynose Imperial Stout? You know the things on the label that look like floating bacterium? That's what the remaining foam from this beer looks like.

Smells like freshman year. Cooked corn and cereal grains. Reminds me of sexual interaction with questionable looking girls, projectile vomit, and passing out, only to wake up with penises drawn all over any exposed skin. It's the typical light lager smell.

I've never eaten creamed corn before a night of heavy drinking that led to me vomiting up booze and said creamed corn, but I imagine it would taste something like this. Meant to be consumed ice cold so it numbs your taste buds so you can't taste the millions of tiny Satans contained in each drop of this beer pissing on your tongue. This is the type of light lager you drink when you're in high school, and pour half of it out when no one's looking so you look cool. I know this is the type of beer designed for pounding, but drinkability is also enjoyment-based, so this gets a 1. Remember all those parties you went to in high school? Remember how people always made awful faces after every gulp? There's no way I'd drink an entire can of this. If I need a buzz that badly, I'll shave my head.

Feels kind of like tap water. Which is appropriate, because, like tap water, this is going down the drain.

04-19-2009 03:18:21 | More by Gyle41386
colts9016

Idaho

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: A pale and very light color beer with no head .
Smell Like cookeds corn and bit hint of cereal with hint of yeast.
Taste Cooked corn, cereal and yeast.
Overall: I was given this can of beer and was told to go home and give it a try. This beer is nothing special and not very easy to drink, unless you've had a couple shots of hard alcohol.

12-08-2008 02:02:59 | More by colts9016
Rhynes2

If you noticed, I gave this beer all ones. In the spirt of being fair while rating beer, i never like to give the extremes, for example i would never give a beer 5's across the board because that would mean that beer was perfect in every way. This beer is however perfectly awful. Take everything you like about your favorite beer and reverse it. (I'm not trying to beer bash but this was at a party once and people were fighting over who got the luxury of drinking Natural Light.) This is the lowest of the low. No head, flavor, aroma, mouthfeel was terrible (carbonated water), almost made me cry. Just no... no... -Dale

10-08-2008 14:40:24 | More by Rhynes2
chompythedino

Colorado

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer is great for playing beirut. At 15 dollars for 30 cans, it is an impressive bargain.

It can also be easily disguised as grape soda when the boys in blue are nearby. If you think hard about the purple can, the taste of grape will be infused into your deepest senses.

I would highly recommend this beer for anyone who likes beer that tastes very bad.

03-22-2008 05:08:55 | More by chompythedino
Adamthome1

Nebraska

Well, my local store just started carrying this stuff...Got a 30 pack for $10.99...figured it would be good beer to drink in my garage while working, and I'm not too disappointed....I obviously wasn't expecting much.

I think the best way to rate this stuff is to compare it to its peers; Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, Old Style. Positive note I can taste just a little more Hop bitterness in this beer to give it ok character...Negative side the malt is dominated by corny taste...the lowest ratio of barley to adjunct malt I'd say I've ever had...also more carbonation would have helped this go down.

My other problem with this stuff is the cans...They are purple and the words "Beer 30 Light" are written in white and purple and in Cursive...It looks like a store bought brand of Purple Soda Pop..Very unappealing....I wish it was a black laber beer look instead.

Well, enjoy.

12-07-2007 23:22:45 | More by Adamthome1
trep

West Virginia

2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

12oz Can

Beer Thirty..

Wow.

Picked this up from my local watering hole, even they thought it was humerous.

Pours a light golden hue, typical of macro lagers. Smells of dank malt and a bit of alcohol.

Tastes like Wine n A Box. Grapey taste behind the sweet carbonated beverage that it is. I was dared to buy this. High Life + Grape Juice. This is a refreshing beer, while still remaining offensive.

Super fizzy mouthfeel with a light body. Easy drinking but not because it's so fruity.

05-25-2007 07:06:28 | More by trep
mynie

Indiana

1.48/5  rDev -20%

Two ways to consider this: I have enough of a sense of humor about beer to drop 2.50 on a six pack of a beer that seems to market itself as something horrible, with its gaudy purple can and, well, name. "Beer" is all it says. "30 Light" is much smaller. That's kind of funny.

The other way is that I'm an idiot who just bought something that is marketed as being horrible and I should expect any pain that this brew may cause me.

Tepid pour. Very light yellow with a small, very short-lived head.

Smells at first of nothing. When it warms it takes on the absolutely repugnant odor of a can of a regular bad macro that's been sitting for a few days. Ya'know, that smell of week old Bud. Well, this was opened ten minutes ago and it smells like that.

Tastes...not half bad, actually. A little metal but a surpising amount of fruit esters, especially for a light lager. Seriously, if the smell wasn't so goddamn horrible this would be a top notch light. Erm... okay as it warms it starts to taste like it smells.

Oh, and it should also work on the mournful dispepsia it causes. And the headache.

09-24-2006 04:11:54 | More by mynie