Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006)

alcoholinside, Jan 19, 2012
1.2/5  rDev -29.4%

I thought this was grape soda when I pulled it out of my boss's cooler.

I gagged and gagged and gagged. Normally I like perrier, but this tasted like perrier and asparagus pee. You know how your pee smells after you eat a ton of asparagus? Thats what this smells and tastes like.

It doesn't even get a full review. It has two saving graces

1. The mouthfeel is like sprite which I LOVE.

2. It has alcohol (possibly unrefined ethonol) so if you drink enough of it you might forget you're drinking Beer30 Light and just choke on your own vomit and die.

jkanavel, Dec 06, 2011

Bought this beer as a joke this Thanksgiving. Without a doubt the worst beer I have ever tasted. As a matter of fact, you should try this. Because nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is this gross. One of my friends tried to shotgun one and failed miserably. His dog, who had consumed a fair amount of beer off the floor the previous night, wouldn't touch the spillage.

A: Urine. With some bubbles.

S: Smells stale fresh out of the can. Like a frat house.

T: Tastes like Busch light, but weaker. At the same time, there's a hint of grape. I have no idea how it got there.

M: Really heavily carbonated.

O: Really terrible. Good to know about for bets (worst beer) and party tricks (make someone vomit).

tylerprince, Nov 30, 2011

Diomede, Nov 27, 2011
2.3/5  rDev +35.3%

A- Half inch of a fizzy white head on a clear, very pale body. Low head retention properties and no lacing.

S- Not a pleasant smell although I don't know what it is akin too. light lemon zest perhaps.

T- Weird, semi-metallic fruity aftertaste...up until that point not bad at all. Easy drinking besides that.

M- Feels good in the mouth for the style. Medium bodies, high carbonation. Best feature of Beer 30 Light.

D/O- If they could get rid of that off-putting taste at the end of each gulp this could be a winner (read: average). As it stands now, the best thing I took out of this 24 ouncer was a can tick.

Duff27, Nov 23, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear medium golden in color, with a small, snow-white head of coarse bubbles and which resembles soap foam. The carbonation ia profuse, fast-rising and composed of rather large bubbles. The lacing is slight and scattered.

Aroma; Cooked corn dominates the aroma, there are faint metallic hops, a mineral note, and a bit of alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a bit of tart malt, this slightly sour flavor, along with a modest white bread flavor, carries throughout. Late in the taste, a ghostly metallic hop note appears, bringing the taste to a close.

Mouth feel: Soft, thin, watery, with a bit of stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An average example of the style. At sixty-nine cents a can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce aluminum can, served in a standard Pilsener glass

Pegasus, Nov 13, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly. Lots of carbonation. 2.0

S - Smells like grain alcohol, yeast, and hops. Slight metallic odor present as well as a bit of a champagne scent...though I have no clue as to why. 1.5

T - Interesting taste. Crisp and light, very similar in flavor to your other adjunct american lagers. The interesting thing is that there is a strong aftertaste of grape and champagne. Again, how these flavors ended up in a beer completely baffles me. 1.5

M - Extremely carbonated and bubbly, but dies down to flatness once it warms up in your mouth. Horrible. Just horrible. 1.0

O - Why? Just why? Spend the extra money and get PBR, Budweiser, Landshark...anything other than this. 1.5

rudolphjacksonm, Nov 08, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -5.9%

Tryed this beer with a friend the other night just for kicks. ( And it was the cheapest I've seen for a 30 in a while.)

The appearance was like any other cheap light beer. Pale, straw yellow with a decent head that faded extremely quickly. No lacing either.

Smell was also very generic. Pretty much nothing going on there.

Taste was actually interesting. Along with the normal light beer taste there was a slight champagne taste to it. Notes of that and a little grape flavor was present.

Mouthfeel was very unenjoyable. Extremely over carbonated and generally hard to put down.

Overall the beer is what you pay for it. Wouldn't mind spending the few extra dollars for budlight though.

Pete27lax, Sep 23, 2011

My friend and I bought this as a joke. We paid 9.99 for 30 beers; so we knew it would not be good. This beer taste like water with some grape flavoring in it. It also tasted like tap water. I did not bother pouring it into a glass, but I imagine it would have poured almost clear. There is nothing good about this beer unless you just want to get buzzed for cheap, or are having people over you don't like. Avoid this beer! It is not worth the $10 I spent.

dcall384, Aug 11, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Can, graciously shared at the July Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a sickly yellowish straw color, evoking images of corn cob aged hose water, with a sputtering gray head. It could be power of suggestion with the laughable purple can, or it could be a really weird gross fermentation, but I'm getting some distinct grape notes on the nose. Beyond that, maybe some rotting grains. Flavor thankfully eases up on the fruit solvent and retreats into your basic dirty pale lager with dusty corny grains and a vanishing unsavory finish. Carbonation is surprisingly low for the style, giving a tap watery impression. No reason to ever drink this even for free. Well, the tick is worth it.

illidurit, Jul 25, 2011
1.85/5  rDev +8.8%

A-Pours the generic straw yellow with a thin foamy head.

S-Quite an unattractive smell, even for the style. Just very skunky and a bit too much. If I am drinking a cheap thirty (and this one is cheap!) then I want it to be pretty nondescript. This has a bit too much.

T-Even for a light lager, this one is just off. Hard to put down these at a quick rate. Just a mess.

M-A bit too heavy for a crappy light beer. Need this to be more watery for maximum drunken consumption.

O/D-The only good part about this beer is that it is the cheapest thirty I have seen in MA. It ran about $13 and I respect the gimmick they're going for here. Really gross, but hey, its cheap and eventually gets the job done...eventually.

VelvetExtract, Jun 17, 2011
2.05/5  rDev +20.6%

Also from the 99 cent store.

A: This one pours a pale straw color with a minimal white head forming. Already not living up to Beer 30 Ice...

S: Rotten vegetables is the best way I can think to describe this aroma. A bit of garbage and paper is also there. Sure, plenty of corn, sugar, and metal, too.

T: Very corny and vegetal. Lots of sweet apple juice flavor and a nice metallic note. Mildly sour and lemony. Though not intense, the flavor is certainly abrasive.

M: Light in body with a medium to high carbonation.

O: Somehow, worse than Beer 30 Ice.

womencantsail, Jun 11, 2011
1.08/5  rDev -36.5%

30 pack was $12... That's the cheapest beer available in Lake of the Ozarks MO, and craft beer is pretty dismal.... I figured if I had to drink swill, it may as well be the cheapest swill... That was a mistake.

A dark yellow color that fizzes up a one finger white head-- almost seltzer water like. The head is gone very quickly, like it bubbled itself away. No lacing.
Wow. The word "bad" doesn't do this beer justice. This smells like a lemon solvent, with a hint of sourmash corn.

The taste is generic sweetness, like corn syrup or sugar, followed by a sour lemon note that could be from a sourmash or from an interesting hop procedure.

Body feels undercarbonated for the style. Kinda thick and syrupy.

Overall, this is terrible. I have 29 more of these??!! FML.
I need to set up a trade with WoodyChandler-- maybe he CAN help me out here...

AleWatcher, Jun 07, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -4.1%

24oz (ug) purple can poured into a pint glass. $0.99 price sticker still on it.

Appearance
The head threatens to fizzle out even before I'm done pouring. What the hell? Even most of the big boys manage a better appearance than this totally flat looking specimen. The color is a clear, pale gold. No signs of life. A pint glass of apple juice makes a better looking beer than this.

Aroma
I think the grape soda looking can is getting to me, because this stuff smells like artificial grape flavoring. Grape bubblegum and cereal. Its really sweet, but strangely not that gross.

Taste
The grape bubblegum aroma is transferred directly into the taste. Its crazy sweet with no signs of hops at all. This doesn't taste much like your typical beer, its far sweeter than that. Some metallic tastes come and go.

Mouthfeel
Given the crazy sweetness of this beer it comes as no surprise that this stuff is slick with no signs of dryness at all. The carbonation stabs away at the tongue.

Overall
Not impressed with this one. Way too sweet and all around strange, right down to the purple can with a drawing of disembodied arm on it.

MbpBugeye, Jun 04, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +70.6%

I had this at a wedding reception this past weekend. My friends and I saw the people with the purpleish blue can and though that they were drinking grape soda. No, it was Beer 30 Light. I also found out this weekend that I truly can't drink Macro lagers any more as there is just way way way too much carbonation. This beer fits that tab nicely. After drinking this we all tried to place what beer it tasted like. Here is what people came up with: Keystone Light, Natural Light, Olympia, and Hamms. I figure it was more like all of the above sans Olympia.

A- I had it in the can. My guess is light.

S- Smelled like macro lager, nothing stood out except the fact it was kinda light on the smell.

T- I thought it tasted like most other beers of the style. My friend felt like it had a rubber taste like someone swirled a condom in it. Of course we all proceeded to make fun of him for quite a while for that comment with a variety of jokes.

M- Good, unless you are my friend and probably real good mouth feel...rubber and all.

O- The price is right for a quantity over quality beer.

Wetpaperbag, May 05, 2011
2.65/5  rDev +55.9%

Beer 30 Light has a thick, egg-shell colored head and a clear, golden appearance with some bubbles streaming up and little lacing left. The aroma is strange, to say the least, with a green sour apple scent and other smells I can't detect. The taste is also peculiar, with that sour green apple aspect and other funny flavors I just cannot place. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Beer 30 Light finishes crisp, refreshing, and dry. This is a beer worth trying, because it's so unusual.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Apr 12, 2011
2.25/5  rDev +32.4%

24oz TALLboy can poured into a 1L Spaten mug!! Set me back a buck, I couldn't resist!

Pale, straw colored clear liquid fell into the mug forming a couple of fingers of puffy white head that dwindled down to a soapy film on the top.

Nothing much on the aroma aside from some corny sweetness and metal (admittedly I'd say not from the can...just that metallic crap lager taste)

Light grainy, corny sweetness. It's palatable, but if it had a fraction more sweetness to it, it'd be cloying.

Slightly crisp, light, but has a heavier, creamy feel which is nice, but for the style, a crisper bite would have been more refreshing.

Overall, not hard to put back. I don't know really if I was taking huge gulps because it was easy, or I was ready to move on to a KBS or something!

EgadBananas, Feb 12, 2011
2.42/5  rDev +42.4%

Can purchased for sixty cents poured into a goblet. Felt nearly aristocratic pouring it into the goblet. Pours fairly deep gold, more color than a typical light beer, and decent head for one too. Looking good, though what doesn't in this goblet. The nose also has a bit more to it than the superlight beers of today. Nothing bad though, maybe a bit of honey malt and a bit of a savory contrast. Tastes like apple cider, low to moderate bitterness on the midpalate and a chlorinated coppery finish. Actually this kind of reminds me of Victoria Bitter. Note to Ozzies in the USA. Honestly, this is pretty inoffensive, though the flavors don't scream stereotypical American light beer at me. Nicely carbonated with decent body too. Seems like people love to hate on this, but it is actually pretty palatable for a light lager. Worth buying if not just to constantly ask people what time it is and wait for them to respond... Beer 30!

vacax, Feb 06, 2011
1.75/5  rDev +2.9%

The only good thing about this beer is its name. I only bought a 6 pack of it because of the name and it was less then 5 bucks. It is a typical college party beer but almost undrinkable for any reason,that is why 4 cans are still in my buddy's fridge.

It tasted and smelled like straight up metal: no sign of any hops, extremely bland and had a supper bubbly feel in your mouth. You are better off spending 4 bucks on one good beer then this but it is generally what you would expect from an American light beer.

You might want to buy one though just to display that silly name can in your bar.

bymyheelicarenot, Dec 28, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, very light malts and almost no hops.

T: The taste starts with an adjunct and light malt sweetness that is followed by a thin grain breadiness. The hops presence is nearly undetectable. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Watery, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Almost no flavor at all, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to it, very mild kick, I don't see how they can honestly call this "Premium Beer" on the can when it barely passes for beer at all.

TheManiacalOne, Dec 23, 2010
1.98/5  rDev +16.5%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to my buddy and his Iowa City-based alma mater, I now have a case o' this. Yeah. It pours a clear deep sallow topped by a rather short-lived bit o' fizzy white foam. The nose is nearly as devoid of scent as the surface of the moon (since, according to my research, the moon's not really made of cheese (seriously? when did this happen!?), I figure it's pretty scent-less), with only some mild corn chaff finding it's way into the 'strils. The taste doesn't try too hard to one-up the smell, though a very mild sweetness vainly tries to pervade the otherwise tasteless liquid. As my boy Filbert once said, this thing went down "like a lead rake". Interestingly, the body is very light, with a fizzy carbonation and a watery feel. So...I guess it's more apt to say it went down too easily...like...a lead rake...? Why not? Overall, I really don't want to drink this. It's not that it's completely offensive, per se, but it's not a flavor of water I really want to have much of. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the clock never strikes Beer:30 so long as it means this brew is in the offing.

TMoney2591, Nov 20, 2010
2.17/5  rDev +27.6%

Served in a pint glass, because I need to make this fancier than it is.

I blame/thank TMoney2591 for this can

This beer pours a light golden color with a finger of foam...wait nevermind the foam is gone. The smell is faint and almost nothing, which I would have thought good...but as it turns out there is a corn adjunct smell that I don't ever like to smell. In addition I think there is soap, it's not offensive, but it's not good either. The taste is in that not good range. It is definitely made with rice because this tastes of malt and cheap sake. I think that I taste the soap as well. There's also that weak apple core taste as well. Not great. It's ok on the palate, the watery flavor isn't good, but I suppose it's better than the opposite. It's drinkable if you want. I don't want to.

Vdubb86, Nov 06, 2010
1.1/5  rDev -35.3%

11.99/30 rack.

This beer comes in a purple can. That should tell you something right off the bat. This is by far the worst tasting beer I have ever imbibed. The mouth feel is extremely thin and watery. It barely taste like beer. It just taste terrible and smells terrible, like dirty corn and urine. It leaves a strange after taste in your mouth, reminiscent of stale grape soda mixed with hooker spit that's been run across a dirty concrete floor.

The only reason I bought this was because it was cheap and the design on the case was strangely intriguing. Regardless, I hope I never have to drink this again.

Avoid at all costs.

DoubleD89, Oct 28, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a tall can for $0.89. I couldn't pass it up because it looks ridiculous. Can poured into glass stein.

A - Straw yellow, lots of carbonation. Hardly any head whatsoever. Lace on side of glass.

S - Metallic, sour, alcohol. Slight corny. Smells nearly like bile or stomach acid.

T - Smell was what I had expected but the taste was the same. Sour, alcohol, fruityness. And not in a good way. Taste like bile. Sickly sweet upfront, acidic in the rear.

M - Carbonation was not horrible, if the beer tasted better. Thin watery, and hard to allow down your gullet. Almost a gagging sort of difficulty with it.

D - I do not know if I can finish this one.

Look here, I understand beer makers make cheap beer to appeal to larger crowds. Look what A&B has done with Bud light! Not to compare the two but jesus. This stuff is hardly drinkable by any means. I do not understand or know anyone in college or not, that would drink this swill under gun point even. This beer is awful. The metallic taste, the gagging suppression to swallow a mouth full.

Forget this I am pouring it down the sink.
Not work the pocket change I forked over for it.

Never again. Not even in the most desperate of times.

Clockwork420, Oct 28, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -20.6%

I got a can of this at a burger restaurant for 50 cents. My recommendation? Save your money.

A: Can't say much for the appearance as I didn't have a glass to pour into.

S: Weird chemical grape flavor. Not very appetizing.

T: Awful. Still tastes like chemicals and metal. Extremely watery. Also I don't know if it's the purple can but I swear it tastes like grape.

M: water

D: I guess you could say it's drinkable since it is so watery. At the opposite end of the spectrum from a "challenging" beer, but at the same time repulsive to anyone with a decent sense of taste.

Overall, avoid. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

skittlebrau, Oct 20, 2010