Beer 30 Light - Melanie Brewing Company

Beer added by: mynie on 09-24-2006

Ratings: 98 | Reviews: 51
1.03/5  rDev -39.4%

Notes on this brew:
Brewed with dirty gym socks, and pigfeed corn.
May be paired with industrial cleaner to strengthen its effect
A bold drink for the new generation of "trailer trash" and college kids with no money
May be mistook for grape soda due to the ridiculous purple can. That's how they trick you into accidentally drinking it.

1.92/5  rDev +12.9%

got a dirty 30 in Madison. I love the purple can. Not worth pouring in a glass really. I swear the purple can makes you think it's grape soda. As cheap beers go, it's ok. $10 30 pack and decent. Drink it for the novelty, nothing else. It's no PBR but it's better than Mountain Creek...

1.48/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Straw colored and pale with no foam at the top

S - Stale beer from cups that have been sitting out for 2 days

T - Tasted like I had licked the can and then sucked on some wheat

M - Harsh bubbles but goes to flat quickly

O - Contrary to what they believe, it is a never a good time

My friend and I bought this as a joke. We paid 9.99 for 30 beers; so we knew it would not be good. This beer taste like water with some grape flavoring in it. It also tasted like tap water. I did not bother pouring it into a glass, but I imagine it would have poured almost clear. There is nothing good about this beer unless you just want to get buzzed for cheap, or are having people over you don't like. Avoid this beer! It is not worth the $10 I spent.

2.8/5  rDev +64.7%

Appearance:Golden yellow with a frothy white head. The head recedes a little too quickly but there's good lacing. However, there is a lack of carbonation that makes it not very inviting.

Smell: Mild coffee smell with a hint of honey.

Taste: Very slight metallic taste followed with a very, very, mild sweet/sour taste. Also a hint of grape.

Mouthfeel: light with pretty good carbonation.

Easy drinking, thirst quenching beer, great for parties if you want to drink a lot (especially for a low price.) Nothing really offensive but nothing good.

2.23/5  rDev +31.2%

12oz Can

Beer Thirty..

Wow.

Picked this up from my local watering hole, even they thought it was humerous.

Pours a light golden hue, typical of macro lagers. Smells of dank malt and a bit of alcohol.

Tastes like Wine n A Box. Grapey taste behind the sweet carbonated beverage that it is. I was dared to buy this. High Life + Grape Juice. This is a refreshing beer, while still remaining offensive.

Super fizzy mouthfeel with a light body. Easy drinking but not because it's so fruity.

If you noticed, I gave this beer all ones. In the spirt of being fair while rating beer, i never like to give the extremes, for example i would never give a beer 5's across the board because that would mean that beer was perfect in every way. This beer is however perfectly awful. Take everything you like about your favorite beer and reverse it. (I'm not trying to beer bash but this was at a party once and people were fighting over who got the luxury of drinking Natural Light.) This is the lowest of the low. No head, flavor, aroma, mouthfeel was terrible (carbonated water), almost made me cry. Just no... no... -Dale

2.78/5  rDev +63.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Yellow with oily white bubbles. Smells sweet and grainy. Do you know how Cobra smells? It kinda smells like that but a bit more muted. Not particularly refreshing, as you would expect in a light American lager, but kinda sweet and slick. Maybe its the silly joke-name it has or maybe its the fact that the can reminds me of grape soda, but I think it's fairly drinkable.

1.38/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a tall can for $0.89. I couldn't pass it up because it looks ridiculous. Can poured into glass stein.

A - Straw yellow, lots of carbonation. Hardly any head whatsoever. Lace on side of glass.

S - Metallic, sour, alcohol. Slight corny. Smells nearly like bile or stomach acid.

T - Smell was what I had expected but the taste was the same. Sour, alcohol, fruityness. And not in a good way. Taste like bile. Sickly sweet upfront, acidic in the rear.

M - Carbonation was not horrible, if the beer tasted better. Thin watery, and hard to allow down your gullet. Almost a gagging sort of difficulty with it.

D - I do not know if I can finish this one.

Look here, I understand beer makers make cheap beer to appeal to larger crowds. Look what A&B has done with Bud light! Not to compare the two but jesus. This stuff is hardly drinkable by any means. I do not understand or know anyone in college or not, that would drink this swill under gun point even. This beer is awful. The metallic taste, the gagging suppression to swallow a mouth full.

Forget this I am pouring it down the sink.
Not work the pocket change I forked over for it.

Never again. Not even in the most desperate of times.

Bought this beer as a joke this Thanksgiving. Without a doubt the worst beer I have ever tasted. As a matter of fact, you should try this. Because nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is this gross. One of my friends tried to shotgun one and failed miserably. His dog, who had consumed a fair amount of beer off the floor the previous night, wouldn't touch the spillage.

A: Urine. With some bubbles.

S: Smells stale fresh out of the can. Like a frat house.

T: Tastes like Busch light, but weaker. At the same time, there's a hint of grape. I have no idea how it got there.

M: Really heavily carbonated.

O: Really terrible. Good to know about for bets (worst beer) and party tricks (make someone vomit).

1.76/5  rDev +3.5%

It pours a golden straw color. It is opaque, light passes through easily and you can make out objects on the other side without any difficulty. It poured a good finger inch thick head, but it faded rapidly to nothing, not even a film on the top or a ring around the edge. There is absolutely no lacing at all.

The first then you notice when you smell the beer is a mix of cheap malts of the corn and cereal variety. There is a touch of alcohol to the scent. To be honest the scent reminds me of my dorm room when I was in college... at the end of the year after all the spilled beer has had a time to go stale. The taste is much like the scent, Corn, cereal grains and a slight metallic taste. The metallic taste I'm pretty sure is a result of it coming in an aluminum can, at least I hope so. It reminds me of a beer that's gone stale. The aftertaste also has a metallic taste to it.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a slight carbonation.

This beer was purchased just for the name of it, kind of like a novelty? We always joke that we think its beer thirty. Of course it didn't hurt we got a 30 pack for under $12.00. When we first tried this beer we had already had a couple of other beers first and didn't think it tasted too bad. Now today as I sit here drinking it on its own without any thing altering the pallet and I have a completely different opinion of this beer. This beer reminds me of something I would have bought in college because it's all I could afford. As a grown man, I don't think I'd buy this beer again, no matter how cheap it was.

1.45/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

This beer was purchased in a 30-pack because It was the absolute cheapest beer in the store, and I was a college student just wanting to play drinking games.

A - an extremely pale color similar to watery urine

S - smells like a budwieser after you leave it in a red cup overnight.

T - a very specific watery-metallic taste fills the palate, not resembling typical malt + hops beer in any fashion

M - feels like fizzy soda pop in my mouth

Overall, it's not too offensive to drink, which gives a 1.5, but just barely.

Well, my local store just started carrying this stuff...Got a 30 pack for $10.99...figured it would be good beer to drink in my garage while working, and I'm not too disappointed....I obviously wasn't expecting much.

I think the best way to rate this stuff is to compare it to its peers; Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, Old Style. Positive note I can taste just a little more Hop bitterness in this beer to give it ok character...Negative side the malt is dominated by corny taste...the lowest ratio of barley to adjunct malt I'd say I've ever had...also more carbonation would have helped this go down.

My other problem with this stuff is the cans...They are purple and the words "Beer 30 Light" are written in white and purple and in Cursive...It looks like a store bought brand of Purple Soda Pop..Very unappealing....I wish it was a black laber beer look instead.

Well, enjoy.

1.48/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly. Lots of carbonation. 2.0

S - Smells like grain alcohol, yeast, and hops. Slight metallic odor present as well as a bit of a champagne scent...though I have no clue as to why. 1.5

T - Interesting taste. Crisp and light, very similar in flavor to your other adjunct american lagers. The interesting thing is that there is a strong aftertaste of grape and champagne. Again, how these flavors ended up in a beer completely baffles me. 1.5

M - Extremely carbonated and bubbly, but dies down to flatness once it warms up in your mouth. Horrible. Just horrible. 1.0

O - Why? Just why? Spend the extra money and get PBR, Budweiser, Landshark...anything other than this. 1.5

1.2/5  rDev -29.4%

I thought this was grape soda when I pulled it out of my boss's cooler.

I gagged and gagged and gagged. Normally I like perrier, but this tasted like perrier and asparagus pee. You know how your pee smells after you eat a ton of asparagus? Thats what this smells and tastes like.

It doesn't even get a full review. It has two saving graces

1. The mouthfeel is like sprite which I LOVE.

2. It has alcohol (possibly unrefined ethonol) so if you drink enough of it you might forget you're drinking Beer30 Light and just choke on your own vomit and die.

1.38/5  rDev -18.8%

I got a can of this at a burger restaurant for 50 cents. My recommendation? Save your money.

A: Can't say much for the appearance as I didn't have a glass to pour into.

S: Weird chemical grape flavor. Not very appetizing.

T: Awful. Still tastes like chemicals and metal. Extremely watery. Also I don't know if it's the purple can but I swear it tastes like grape.

M: water

D: I guess you could say it's drinkable since it is so watery. At the opposite end of the spectrum from a "challenging" beer, but at the same time repulsive to anyone with a decent sense of taste.

Overall, avoid. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

1.1/5  rDev -35.3%

11.99/30 rack.

This beer comes in a purple can. That should tell you something right off the bat. This is by far the worst tasting beer I have ever imbibed. The mouth feel is extremely thin and watery. It barely taste like beer. It just taste terrible and smells terrible, like dirty corn and urine. It leaves a strange after taste in your mouth, reminiscent of stale grape soda mixed with hooker spit that's been run across a dirty concrete floor.

The only reason I bought this was because it was cheap and the design on the case was strangely intriguing. Regardless, I hope I never have to drink this again.

Avoid at all costs.

1.3/5  rDev -23.5%

Can into clear glass

Bought this beer in a BARGAIN BUCKET: 2 cans for $1. I had to buy it to find out how unbelievably bad beer could be. When I searched for BEER 30 LIGHT and found NO SEARCH results I was a little worried. I thought that everyone who drank this must have died before typing up their review.

Appearance - Surprisingly though, this cheap beer looked great! Thick bubbly foam, golden, opaque color, and great looking carbonation made this one appealing from the get-go. "Holy cow," I thought "is it possible that I have just found beer heaven: an amazing pilsener for 50c a can???!!!" High hopes at this point.

Smell - Hopes were quickly dashed when I smelled this beer. Oh boy. Smells like very very cheap beer. Worse than Milwaukee Beast. Pungent.

Taste - OMG....this beer is absolutely RANCID. Just undrinkable. I am definitely tossing this beer out soon. I can't finish this glass and it's the first time that has ever happenned with a beer.

Mouthfeel - no carbonation....all those appealing bubbles I saw when I poured the beer out must have vanished before finding my mouth.

Drinkability - thank God I only bought two cans. One of the worst dollars I ever spent. Even though it was only a buck, I am seriously thinking about going back to that liquor store in Shelbyville, Kentucky and getting my money back. This beer is downright criminal.

1.44/5  rDev -15.3%

Not as good as beer 30 ice. Not got at all actually.

1.73/5  rDev +1.8%

The only good thing about this beer is its name. I only bought a 6 pack of it because of the name and it was less then 5 bucks. It is a typical college party beer but almost undrinkable for any reason,that is why 4 cans are still in my buddy's fridge.

It tasted and smelled like straight up metal: no sign of any hops, extremely bland and had a supper bubbly feel in your mouth. You are better off spending 4 bucks on one good beer then this but it is generally what you would expect from an American light beer.

You might want to buy one though just to display that silly name can in your bar.

I usually would never give ANY beer this low a score but it is the beer I will always remember, not for good reason. I was in college and consistently drank terrible beer, weekly. The usually adjunct lagers and even worse. This beer was unpalatable for me, even when I drank BMC beers on the reg and thought they were good. A couple friends and I pick it up for a game of beer pong in college and left it sitting in the corner of the garage. It was awful. Try it just to say you've had the worst beer ever made.

Have only thrown up once due to alcohol in my life, and this beer was the culprit. Stinks of urine, tastes like urine stirred with sweaty gym socks, and leaves the heaviest, nastiest hangover you will ever suffer from. Avoid this beer at all costs. The worst excuse for an alcoholic beverage I have ever had the misfortune to imbibe.

2.24/5  rDev +31.8%

This beer is great for playing beirut. At 15 dollars for 30 cans, it is an impressive bargain.

It can also be easily disguised as grape soda when the boys in blue are nearby. If you think hard about the purple can, the taste of grape will be infused into your deepest senses.

I would highly recommend this beer for anyone who likes beer that tastes very bad.

4.02/5  rDev +136.5%

May seem as a cola representation of Pepsi, but seems to quench the thirst like a Gatorade. First off the color of the can makes my girlfriend happy plus the sight of a man drinking out of a purple can is complete manliness. The smell is similar to a draft beer at many restaurant locations. Although it does smell a tad bit watered down I appreciate the drink ability much more than the smell. This beer is like buying Vaseline when needing KY Jelly. The taste is unique yet not as pleasing as a top of the line beer but the drink ability is exceptional.

Highly recommended for a middle class unique heavy partier. Cheap enough for beer pong yet good enough for Sunday Night Football. The price is right whether it's day or night.

1.36/5  rDev -20%

Originally purchased by a *thrifty* member of my college fraternity for a party, it was deemed unfit for beer-pong beer. Beer30 Light has become the stuff of legends - dark, terrible legends - in our social group.

Appearance - It would do Beer30 Light a disservice to just say "urine," as its color is a shade paler and foamier than that. Phantom urine, perhaps. There is an ethereal quality to the brew that makes one pause before drinking, in respect.

Smell - In my privileged life, I have rarely had occasion to empathize with industrial workers. However, the metallic, poisonous fruit-smell seeping out of the venomous purple cans caused me to briefly consider the life of a chemical plant worker.

Taste - Shit.

Mouthfeel - Didn't you read "Taste?" It's got this incredible carbonation, like a violently-shaken can of cola, that lasts about 6 seconds before it suddenly and abruptly becomes totally flat. The makers of Beer30 Light have somehow created a beer that is actually BREWED stale.

Overall - "When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." (-Nietzsche)

Beer 30 Light from Melanie Brewing Company