Jaguar High Gravity Lager - Melanie Brewing Company

awful

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 05-05-2007)
View: Beers (25) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by GeezLynn:
GeezLynn

1.78/5  rDev +22.8%

In honor of the recent lunacy in our neighbor state, I decided to go with a self-proclaimed "union made" beer out of Monroe, WI. Gotta love cans labeled with animals. Sconnies...

A: Golden blonde with a weak white head. Good clarity and looks like a light summer beer.

S: Corn, musty unidentified adjunct, and a bit of banana. Pretty mild, but what is there is not desirable.

T: Sweet and fruity. Not sure where this is coming from, but I get lime and cloying banana. Strange, and not in a particularly good way.

M; Smooth with fine carbonation and a bit of alcohol bite.

Flavor is bizarre, like some Zima somehow found its way into the tank. This started out as a peculiarity, but by the time I finished the 22oz, it was a nauseating chore. Not quite bad enough to make the list of worst malt liquors, but this is classic SKIP ENJOYMENT AND GO STRAIGHT TO INTOXICATION.

02-26-2011 06:21:59 | More by GeezLynn

01-17-2013 07:25:29 | More by spycow
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

1.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Jaguar High Gravity Lager has a medium, white, fizzy, quickly-dissipating head, no lacing, and a clear, very bubbly, yellow-golden appearance. The aroma is of subtle and sickening green apple, grain husks, barley, sickly-sweetness, and a shadow of hops. The mouthfeel is light to medium, and Jaguar finishes somewhat crisp and refreshing, but also somewhat harsh. This is pretty hard to stomach, and I think it's not even worth trying. Avoid!

RJT

09-04-2012 17:42:43 | More by RonaldTheriot
emerge077

1.55/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer will immediately make you question life.
Why am I doing this to myself?

Pale anemic gold color, flecks of lace that ring the glass. Looks yellow, almost green. Not much in the way of retention, dead glassy surface after a few minutes.

Smells like white grapes, sweet cereal, froot loops, vitamins, and a general lack of self respect.

Tastes like the same. Crap adjuncts, added sugars. Sticky, mealy, astringent feel. Deadening alcohol on the palate. Sweet grainy taste, some fusels. Pretty rough, though not the utter worst i've experienced. This is nothing more than a cheap buzz in a shitty package. Avoid if you possess any shred of dignity.

Yes, I bought this for the stupid can graphics.

12-12-2011 02:32:13 | More by emerge077
MasterSki

1.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Big thanks to Chris (spycow) for finding this in an out-of-the-way Wisconsin gas station. Apparently this was less than a dollar. Served in a BeerAdvocate taster glass.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a near-transparent cap, leaving spotty lace behind. Slightly lighter than Earthquake but similarly bubbly.

S - Compared to Earthquake this is downright terrible. Alcohol, rotting fruit and garbage, and god knows what else.

T - Taste is a tiny bit better, as it dials down the rotten flavors and replaces them with sickeningly cloying sweetness. Not as boozy as some of the other malt liquors, although this is a "light" one at 8.3%.

M - Surprisingly chewy texture, with a dry finish but tooth-coating stickiness. Not as much heat as Earthquake unsurprisingly. Carbonation is moderate to low. Somewhat indescribable, and not in a good way.

D - This may be the worst "true" Malt Liquor we've had so far, although there's always a chance one of the other gems will usurp the throne. A must-try for lovers of bad beer.

07-10-2011 13:46:51 | More by MasterSki
cpolking

Iowa

1.18/5  rDev -18.6%

Brewed and bottled by Mountain Crest in Monroe, Wisconsin. This means brewed by the Minhas Craft Brewery. Maybe it used to be brewed by City for Melanie.

This 8.3% malt liquor pours a glowing yet dark golden yellow in color. There is a quarter to half inch of foamy white head. The aroma is strangely fruity for a lager. There is cherry, green apple, tropical fruity and a strange chemically-alcohol aroma. I hope this tastes better than it smells. Whoa, it does not taste better. In fact it tastes worse. This is like a chemical fruity alcohol cleaning product. This is atrocious and all but undrinkable. If your goal is to get drunk cheap, there are better-tasting alternatives.

05-13-2011 23:28:30 | More by cpolking
richkrull

Wisconsin

1.02/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured a sort of bright yellow color with a good amount of quickly dissipating white head it. Smell is solid alcohol and not good at that. Smells terrible, no redeeming beer smell qualities at all. Taste is god-awful. I wish I was exaggerating but this is complete shit. It's only 8.3%, but tastes like pure alcohol. Got some bubbles towards the end, light mouthfeel but the tastes ruins any chance of this beer going down smoothly. It's surprising but this beer is even worse than I remembered it being. I will not be drinking this ever again.

04-18-2011 23:58:24 | More by richkrull
EgadBananas

Louisiana

1.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Clear pale straw color with a puffy white collar that leaves a little bit of lacing.

Aroma was malty sweet, with a little sugar mixed in. Maybe some graininess.

Taste was horrible. Cloying sweetness that just astounds me. WHY? Not quite as wretched as in a Minahs brew, but it's still wretched.

Feel was slick and oily and nothing pleasing.

I tried to guzzle as much as I could, but could only handle a handful of sips...drinking any more is a waste. Good thing the drain is always thirsty.

03-07-2011 01:19:31 | More by EgadBananas
TMoney2591

1.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in a snifter.

And SwillFest 1.5 rolls on! And in geodesic snifters, no less! What better vessel for such a libation, eh? When I saw this can a few months ago, my mind pulled for me to purchase it. But I demurred. Then, upon seeing this on a more recent beer run to Kenosha, I felt it had to come into my possession.

Which leads to today. it pours a clear apple juice topped by a finger or so of quick-dying white foam. The nose is indeed how Senor Chandler (below) described it, with cotton candy stalks dancing with remnants of vinyl and motor oil (I don't get the rest of the factory, but, then again, I ain't Woody, be I?). The simple strangeness of it is actually pretty impressive, though in the wrong way. The taste takes a slightly different tack, more closely resembling some yammy WD-40. Yeah. Seriously. This is some godawful shit, lemme tell ya. The body feels heavier than it probably is (bad tastes weigh more than good ones, maybe?), with a light moderate carbonation, a watery feel, and a dry finish. Overall, nothing about this horrid thing makes me want to ever drink it again. It was all I could do to muster up the strength to down the rest of my glass, hoping against hope that only the minimum would actually touch my tongue and harangue my 'buds. Only one word for this: Yicchleggh.

On a strange note, feeling oddly empowered (if that's the right word), I decided to add some Tabasco to what remained in my glass after emptying the can. I dripped in some of Mike's old sauce (best by label read "03/2010") and gulped some down, much to the painful glee of those witnessing the act. To my surprise, the taste was akin to Crazy Ed's. Now where's the shooting star running over my head?

12-25-2010 03:36:08 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

1.65/5  rDev +13.8%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to TMoney2591 for giving me this...I think

There is too much malt liquor for my liking. This liquor pours a golden color with not much head at all. The smell is equivalent to sniffing pepto bismal...I'm not sure why. This beer is odd, but hell, it's JAGUAR. The taste felt like a jaguar mauled my taste buds. There is an acrid horrible feeling that I wish I had never ever EVER tasted. The mouthfeel is smooth but horrible, I don't know how else to describe it. The drinkability is DON'T.

12-24-2010 07:06:58 | More by Vdubb86
tone77

2.28/5  rDev +57.2%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, alcohol the only thing really coming through. Taste is , uh, well lets say you can taste the 8.3% in there, some notes of plastic, not very good. Feels light in the mouth and is not very drinkable. Overall this is a beer best avoided.

09-01-2010 15:04:03 | More by tone77
woodychandler

1.23/5  rDev -15.2%

I CAN't believe it! Here is a beer that is already a solid "F", albeit after just two reviews, and here comes The CANQuest (TM). I am not holding out much hope.

Another "Union Made" CAN! I am a unionist, but this kind of thing makes me shake my head in wonder. I tried, really, to generate some head but to no avail. The white foam fell as quickly as I could pour. Color was a pretty golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was the unpleasant combination of plastics factory and cotton CANdy. How do they achieve this? it is ungodly! Mouthfeel was thin-to medium with an inherent sweetness that would throw a diabetic into a coma. OMFG! This is nearly unfit for human CANsumption. Finish left me gasping for air. Oof.

08-29-2010 23:54:41 | More by woodychandler
pmcadamis

1.3/5  rDev -10.3%

Saw this at one of the local beer stores and thought WTF? It looks so bad that I just gotta try it. Super high ABV, but I figured that I'll probably end up drain pouring it anyway... and at $1.79 there's nothing to loose!

A - Deep gold and clear with a persistent fluffy white head. Head retention on this one is actually outstanding... but then again some hotel hot tubs have outstanding froth retention too. No, seriously... this doesn't look bad at all, at least after you pour it into a glass and hide the horrid looking can.

S - This is pretty transparent, which is a good thing for super high alcohol cans of hobo booze. A little fusel alcohol overripe fruitiness come out, along with the standard cornflake cheap malt note.

T - Ahk! This is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE I SAY! It doesn't even taste like beer. This tastes like someone drank a couple budweisers chased with a quart of honey and 20 assorted pixie sticks... and then puked. And then you drank that puke. Yep, that about sums it up.

M - Filthy. I'm going to go brush my teeth.

D - Hell no. This is NASTY.

01-28-2010 22:09:39 | More by pmcadamis
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.75/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Welcome to Malt Likkapalooza VII. Today's feature bout will be between yet another pair of malt liquors brewed in the state of Wisconsin. I find it hard to believe that dozens of different variations are even possible when it comes to beer like this. I guess minor changes in sugar content and ABV are enough to earn new can graphics. Anyway, on with the show...

Amber with a generous splash of orange; definitely the darker of these two combatants. The head is bone white in color, a finger or two smaller and doesn't look as good as the head on the other beer. The early lead goes to Camo Silver Ice.

The nose reminds me of apples macerated in grain alcohol. I still don't think that beer of this style (even the worst examples) smells as bad as the worst macro lagers, but that's just me. In any case, this one isn't likely to win any prizes.

Neither one of these two is anywhere close to good beer. I mean that in a general sense and when compared to the best malt liquors out there. Jaguar is excessively grainy and is more boozy than malty sweet. It may not be possible to brew a high gravity lager with such a high ABV that's worth a damn. I'm pretty sure I've had some decent ones though.

Who really cares about the mouthfeel in a malt liquor? They're both par for the style course, with a medium-full slickness that doesn't quite reach sticky. Zippy carbonation keeps things moving along without feeling overly fizzilicious.

Malt Likkapalooza VII has not been a stellar showing for either one of these brews. Jaguar has the cooler can, so that counts for something. Of course, it doesn't really matter since the brown paper bag will ensure that the can graphics can't be seen anyway. Bottom line: there may not be many cheaper ways to get drunk, but there have to be more pleasant ways.

05-05-2007 12:36:25 | More by BuckeyeNation