Shiner White Wing - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

to view more.
Ratings: 460 | Reviews: 61
Reviews by -ronin-:
3.24/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

Shiner branching out again with their rendition of a Witbier. I made sure to stir up the dregs to ensure that cloudy muddle character know in most. Subtle all around with any kind of spicing, bready wheat is very smooth and there is a mild sweetness within.

Not half bad bit nothing really pops here, nothing lively.

3.25/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Yellow haze in color with a thin white head. No lacing on the glass.

Smell: Light hops, cloves, and wheat.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of wheat and cloves with mild hops.

Overall: Not a bad take on a Belgian White.

2.79/5  rDev -18.4%

A better than average Belgian White. Nothing fancy but a step up from your every day Belgian Whites.

4.26/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

EDIT: See the review by woodychandler instead. Its a bit pedantic, but its a better review and and hell, its a white so maybe thats fitting. I think he said it well though, "It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste." (Probably why I liked it since I generally do not like white beers)

Firstly, I should say I have been a rabid IPA drinker for about 5 or 6 years. Partly because I moved to the eastern US where the IPA's lack the qualities I love, and partly because I have been wanting to expand my beer experience beyond IPA's (which I have drunk all variants and types I could find), I have been trying to explore beers of styles I would not traditionally drink (i.e. non-ales).

Secondly, I should say I give this beer a 4.25 out of 5.00 for whites, not for beer styles overall.

Anyway, my opinion:

Serving Type: While I have poured in a glass, I really feel beers with light notes should be consumed from the bottle (though I do not have glasses appropriated for beer styles). I lose much of the sharp smells and taste when I do not do as such.

I give this beer a high score because its the best white I have had up to this point. I've tried several, and I generally think there is a poor, sour aftertaste for this style of beer. I really Spoetzl's White Wing because it has a clear and crisp finish.

2.74/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a thin head on a cloudy light straw body.
The aroma is mild honey and grain.
The taste is watery, mild honey sweet, the faintest touch of lemon. Not much.
The texture is crisp and thin.
Not much of anything here.

3.39/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a pretty good aroma of hops and wheat with a touch of citrus.
Appearance- A hazy yellow with a small white head.
Taste- This beer had a weak hop flavor that did not meet expectations.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation with a semi-dry finish.
Overall- The most disappointing Spoetzel beer I have tried. I am a big fan of this brewer and this beer just did meet my expectations.

3.26/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours an effervescent light straw color with 2+ fingers of pearl white head. Below average lacing & head retention

S: Pears, white grapes, a touch of white pepper, fades once warm

T: White grape, golden delicious apple & a bit of lemon, plus a little coriander up front. A little bit of orange peel as this warms, lemon,& white pepper. Finishes a bit watery with coriander & lemon & a bit of juicy fruit

MF: Light bodied, firm carbonation, body thins out even more when warm

Drinks very easy, but not one to session on. I was already a little tired of the flavor profile after about 4 ounces. Could do a few in August I'm sure. Would rather have a blue moon...

3.47/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out to a thin white head that falls to a thin ring and no lacing. Hazy yellow-orange color. Aroma is coriander, followed by orange peel and light grains. Flavor is tangy, spicy and light on the palate; built to compete with Shock Top and Blue Moon. Mouthfeel is light and clean--would be refreshing in the summer. Overall a decent quencher.

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of oranges, wheat, grains. Taste is oranges, spices, malts, clean and refreshing. Feels medium-light in the mouth and overall a good thirst quencher, and a beer I could drink several of.

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on August 29, 2014

Pale yellow pour under a quick fizzy white head and then nothing.

Aroma of toasted breaded malts, white malts (you know that feeling), pepper, spice, and lemongrass.

Light body.

Taste: Toasted biscuit, spice and then a flush of bitterness.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pale lemon-orange coloring with a good clarity and a fast moving, glass consuming display of effervesce. Chalky white head has a skimmy surface texture, slight in size, but retains rather nicely leaving behind a broken eye lash lacing.

S: The nose was of fresh wheat and oranges, fairly wet in nature with some lemon. A bit of bubblegum and yeastiness of moderate strength.

T: Spritzy flavor of lemon-orange and wheat, lightly tart with some slight barnyard funk. Musky nature, crisp bite on the finish of lemony hops. Fresh wet nature with some apple floral rounds things out.

M: Lively mouthful that was crisp, light bodied and somewhat creamy.

O: Overall an easy drinking wit, good snap and crisp carbonation. Worthy a try for a summer time quencher of a light affair.

3.25/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Shiner White Wing has a pretty thick, fluffy, white head, an initially clear, yellow-gold appearance, which displays a descending gray-yellow cloud, once the bottom contents are swished and poured in, lots of rapid bubble streams, and a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma and flavor are just as the company describes- bready, with a hint of orange peel and coriander. No banana or bubble gum with this one. Mouthfeel is medium and soft, and Shiner White Wing finishes dry, refreshing, and very easy going. Overall, for a subtle, mellow witbier, this one if interesting and worth sampling.

RJT

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is slightly hazy light yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head that died down, leaving a large patch of bubbles on the surface, a collar around the edge, and some lacing down the side of the glass.
S: Light aromas of orange peels are present in the nose along with some hints of wheat.
T: As in the smell, the taste has flavors of orange peels along with hints of coriander and wheat.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a lot more orangey compared to other beers in the style. It is very easy to drink.

3.34/5  rDev -2.3%

Decent wit bier but a little thin.

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Shiner's White Wing a few days ago for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a new beer to try and since this one just showed up I thought I would give it a try, so let see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it's got simple a look it so I don't think it's too eye catching, but it has some nice information about the beer. It poured a pretty hazy slightly pale yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with some malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, wheaty, sweet malt, and bready aroma with some spicy Belgian yeast like aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the coriander which is pretty noticeable and it's followed by big orange aroma showing up the most and imparting a nice orange rind aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, I thought the coriander and orange rind aspects are enhanced.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but it's a little lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart all those aspects that I got in the aroma with a white bread aroma seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some Belgian yeast like flavors with some coriander and orange peel aromas showing up a fair amount lighter than they did in the aroma. This was a nice tasting beer, it's what I expect from the style and coriander and orange weren't overdone.

M- Smooth, pretty crisp, a little fizzy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slight higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it was a little light for the style.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a slightly above average example of a Belgian White Ale, I was a little worried that the taste might be too coriander and orange peel forward since the aroma was pretty intense with it, but it was fairly balanced when I got to the taste and that helped the drinkability. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, pretty crisp, a little fizzy, not filling, and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these in a row but I think I might start to get bored with it after that and I think this would make for a nice spring time beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, no aspect was too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but I thought it was a little too light and fizzy for the style. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I might consider it if I'm really in the mood for this style and I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style. All in all I didn't love this beer, but I didn't hate it either, it kind of fell right in the middle for me and I don't find it to be that memorable but I would say it's still pretty solid as far as the Style goes, keep up the solid works guys.

3.25/5  rDev -5%

Not sure what the guy below is talking about it's not a Belgium pale ale but more of a Witbeir. Mixed and matched this at the House of 1,000 beers.

A - Well it looks mildly hazy bright yellow in color with just a 1/4 inch of head that fizzes out rather quickly. Looks Dull.
S - Well it does have a distinct sourness to the nose which smells inviting not too many venture into this just making another bland Hefeweizen. Another smell opens up to more orange and coriander smells.
T - As other said really dull taste. Doesn't really venture too deep in any direction be it sour lemon, coriander spice or even orange peel taste. Heck hardly any sweetness I can't even taste any orange flavor.
M - Light and very fizzy even for the style. Still hangs heavy on the palate.

Overall very light if any Witbier flavors make this a very lackluster take on the style. Avoid.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Rather hazy light golden body, with a moderate off-white head, which slowly fades to just a scattering of foam. Fine-beaded lacing adorns the glass walls. Slight carbonation drifts lazily to the surface.

Aroma: Coriander and orange rind dominate the aroma, with lesser spicy wheat aromas.

Taste: Opens with bready and spicy wheat notes, soon followed by coriander and orange rind. As the taste progresses, the wheat malt dominates, with the coriander and orange fading a bit. Finishes with lingering bready notes and a subtle herbal hop bitterness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A decent, very drinkable example of the style.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.67/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked this up as part of a mixed 6 because I tend to like wheat beers. Okay appearance, not the murky look that i like of wheat beer and decent smell, but kinda weak. Taste was much better than expected after look and smell. Overall a decent beer but not one I will revisit unless the cost is good. Also loses points due to being below 5%.

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy golden straw yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some apricot highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy white head that reduces to a thick film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thin film covering the remainder of the surface and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of wheat with a touch of sourness along with light aromas of lemon citrus and coriander spice. Slightly yeasty.

T: Upfront there is a moderate to strong flavor of wheat with just a hint of traditional wheat sourness. That is followed by moderate flavors of citrus lemon rind and citrus lemon along with light to moderate amounts of coriander spice. Slightly yeasty with a light amount of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Hints of dryness in the finish.

O: Definitely an easy drinking beer and one that pairs well with spicier foods - I'm having it today with some chili. Light and refreshing.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

Very attractive bottle label design.

pours a a gold, slightly hazy liquid with a white head.

Aroma is disappointing. Pretty much nonexistent.

Flavor is better. On the sweet side for the style but overall fairly complex. Some citrus, some spices, definitely can taste the orange peel. Maybe a little bit of clover honey. On second taste I'm also picking up some banana.

Medium mouthfeel. Better than average for Spoetzl with a little bit of well-balanced acidic prickliness.

Overall a good beer. Definitely a great session choice.

3.04/5  rDev -11.1%

As the great bottle purge continues here at Chez Woody, I am more aligned with the Summer season, suddenly (I seem to be on an alliterative kick lately). I am a big fan of Shiner and I am happy to have their beers available here in PA.

From the bottle: "Brewed with Coriander"; "Brewed with Orange Peel"; "A delightfully odd bird from Shiner [-] As we finish our 104th year, we are excited to take on brewing this Belgian-style white. Authentic Belgian yeast is essential to brew a true-to-style Belgian wheat ale. During the brewing process. something unique and wonderful happens when this yeast and the addition of coriander and orange peel bland to deliver the spice and citrus aroma and taste distinctive of a white ale. Barley and wheat malts and Saaz hops find the right flavor balance and the light carbonation makes this a delightful white ale. Prosit!"

I utilized an agitating pour, involving continually swirling the beer in the bottle as it was being decanted into a glass. This prevented any cascading, but it did produce two rocky, fizzy fingers of bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a slightly hazy light-yellow (SRM = 2). Nose smelled more like lemon zest than orange peel and with a black pepper spiciness. Oooh. It is already a hot, humid day, so I am hoping for something refreshing from this beer. Mouthfeel was thin, but fizzy, with loads of carbonation. The taste was kind of light for the style, but I definitely tasted the orange peel at this point. The finish was semi-dry with the coriander giving it a black pepper bite. It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste.

3.18/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen.

A: Pours a light golden hue. Slight, bubbly, white head. Settles quickly. No real lacing.

S: Wheat, yeast, not much else.

T: White bread, accentuated with some indistinct spice.'

M: Light, crisp, and starchy.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is okay. Bubbly head, no real lacing. Nose is bready and yeasty. Tastes like it smells, bread with some indiscernible spices. Overall, this is an okay quaff.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

After a long day of pheasant hunting, it's time for a relaxing wit. I'd also like to say if you're watching your weight this Wit only has 140 calories. Score.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into 16 oz glass

Appearance (3.75) : An aggressive pour yields a fluffy two fingered head on top of a slightly hazy golden yellow body. Lacing is left and the head recedes fairly quickly.

Aroma (4) : Wheat, lots of wheat. Some orange slice, coriander, spice, salt. I want to say it's a little sour smelling but it's more fresh than anything. Nice touch.

Taste (4) : I will never turn down any wit and this is no exception. It's got a robust peppery wheat flavor with hints of coriander, rice, and orange peel. Some sharp cheddar notes faintly add to the bite and is left lingering on the finish. Yeah, the "sharp cheddar" some would say is very weird in a wit but strangely, it fits. I won't knock it. Unique take on the witbier.

Mouthfeel (3) : Mouthfeel is where it falls short unfortunately. It fits the flavor but it's far from creamy or full. It's more like a lager, primarily adopted from Shiner's Premium Beer. It's very carbonated and light bodied. It ends slightly musky and dry but not enough of that characteristic to drag it out of lager territory. Gonna have to dock it some here.

Overall (3.92) : The aroma, appearance, and taste are great. It went down easy and was flavored uniquely. The mouthfeel falls short but that's not a huge problem for me. The main difference here between this and other wits is that it's got a peppery feel to the wheat taste and the musky sharp cheddar dryness. I'd drink it again, and it's a good Wit if you're not too picky. I'd like another actually.

3.74/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of coriander, orange, hint of hop, slight yeast, slight sweet malt, and a hint of pale malt. Fits the style of a Witbier. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of orange, coriander, sweet malt, slight pale malt, and a hint of hop. Overall, decent appearance, aroma, good feel, and decent blend. Still, nothing special as a Witibier.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a Samuel Adams laser-etched glass.
Review from notes.

A: Cloudy gold, very small white head.

S: Clove and honey, some coriander.

T: A bit of spice, but smooth and balanced. Very Belgian.

M: Medium carbonation with some mouth slickness.

O: Really a decent Witbier. Nice attempt at the style by Shiner.

to view more.