Shiner White Wing - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Witbier |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Hoganlaw on 11-14-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 448 | Reviews: 59
Reviews by BryanCarey:
3.47/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shiner White Wing pours from its 12 oz. bottle to a yellow/straw color with a cloudy body, an active carbonation, and a head of foam comprised of tiny bubbles. The nose on this beer is one of coriander and wheat and the foam fizzes out in due time, leaving no lace behind.

This beer offers flavors of coriander and wheat, as expected, along with some orange and other citrus notes- mainly lemon. Some yeasty flavors and light spice close out the tasting experience on a positive note. The body of the beer is light to medium and the active carbonation adds a large degree of refreshment.

Shiner White Wine is going to replace Shiner hefeweizen, if sources are correct, and is only the second time Shiner has ever brewed a beer of this style. I find it a nice alternative to other Belgian wits and I like that it is a little less sweet than most. It offers some good refreshment and would make a good choice of beer on a hot day. Its lighter refreshment still offers enough taste and body to satisfy craft beer fans while still remaining approachable enough to satisfy the macro- brew crowd. It’s a good example of the style and one I will purchase again.

3.24/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

Shiner branching out again with their rendition of a Witbier. I made sure to stir up the dregs to ensure that cloudy muddle character know in most. Subtle all around with any kind of spicing, bready wheat is very smooth and there is a mild sweetness within.

Not half bad bit nothing really pops here, nothing lively.

3.25/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Yellow haze in color with a thin white head. No lacing on the glass.

Smell: Light hops, cloves, and wheat.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of wheat and cloves with mild hops.

Overall: Not a bad take on a Belgian White.

2.79/5  rDev -18.4%

A better than average Belgian White. Nothing fancy but a step up from your every day Belgian Whites.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.81/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.32/5  rDev -2.9%

4.26/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

EDIT: See the review by woodychandler instead. Its a bit pedantic, but its a better review and and hell, its a white so maybe thats fitting. I think he said it well though, "It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste." (Probably why I liked it since I generally do not like white beers)

Firstly, I should say I have been a rabid IPA drinker for about 5 or 6 years. Partly because I moved to the eastern US where the IPA's lack the qualities I love, and partly because I have been wanting to expand my beer experience beyond IPA's (which I have drunk all variants and types I could find), I have been trying to explore beers of styles I would not traditionally drink (i.e. non-ales).

Secondly, I should say I give this beer a 4.25 out of 5.00 for whites, not for beer styles overall.

Anyway, my opinion:

Serving Type: While I have poured in a glass, I really feel beers with light notes should be consumed from the bottle (though I do not have glasses appropriated for beer styles). I lose much of the sharp smells and taste when I do not do as such.

I give this beer a high score because its the best white I have had up to this point. I've tried several, and I generally think there is a poor, sour aftertaste for this style of beer. I really Spoetzl's White Wing because it has a clear and crisp finish.

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shiner White Wing from Spoetzl Brewery