Shiner White Wing - Spoetzl Brewery

pDev: 15%
Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Witbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Hoganlaw on 11-14-2013)
Reviews by ChuckHardslab:
3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass. It's a pale straw color with the style correct yeasty cloudiness. It poured with about a 2 finger bright white head that settled into a thin cap that lasted until it was done. Minimal to no lacing on the glass.

The smell is wheat and grain with citrus notes and a whiff of corander. A little more yeast becomes apparent as it warms. There is a background metallic note that I find in almost all Shiner beers. It's not objectionable. None of the Belgian 'funk' that's present in more 'serious' beers.

The taste is a nice light and refreshing version of a Belgian wit. It's a little sweet with notes of oranges and bit of spice. It's very low in hops bitterness. I also taste the faintest bit of lemony sourness, perhaps from the yeast?

The mouth feel is thin with bright bubbly carbonation. Perfect for those 100+ degree Texas summer days.
This is a nice warm weather, Belgian inspired brew that's definitely geared to a wider market than craft been aficionados. It's a nice alternative to Blue Moon. It's easy drinking and tastes good enough to have a few. I have a soft spot for Shiner beers. I will definitely be keeping some around through the summer months.

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

Shiner branching out again with their rendition of a Witbier. I made sure to stir up the dregs to ensure that cloudy muddle character know in most. Subtle all around with any kind of spicing, bready wheat is very smooth and there is a mild sweetness within.

Not half bad bit nothing really pops here, nothing lively.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

EDIT: See the review by woodychandler instead. Its a bit pedantic, but its a better review and and hell, its a white so maybe thats fitting. I think he said it well though, "It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste." (Probably why I liked it since I generally do not like white beers)

Firstly, I should say I have been a rabid IPA drinker for about 5 or 6 years. Partly because I moved to the eastern US where the IPA's lack the qualities I love, and partly because I have been wanting to expand my beer experience beyond IPA's (which I have drunk all variants and types I could find), I have been trying to explore beers of styles I would not traditionally drink (i.e. non-ales).

Secondly, I should say I give this beer a 4.25 out of 5.00 for whites, not for beer styles overall.

Anyway, my opinion:

Serving Type: While I have poured in a glass, I really feel beers with light notes should be consumed from the bottle (though I do not have glasses appropriated for beer styles). I lose much of the sharp smells and taste when I do not do as such.

I give this beer a high score because its the best white I have had up to this point. I've tried several, and I generally think there is a poor, sour aftertaste for this style of beer. I really Spoetzl's White Wing because it has a clear and crisp finish.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%