Shiner White Wing - Spoetzl Brewery

pDev: 15%
Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Witbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Hoganlaw on 11-14-2013)
Reviews by Pegasus:
3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Rather hazy light golden body, with a moderate off-white head, which slowly fades to just a scattering of foam. Fine-beaded lacing adorns the glass walls. Slight carbonation drifts lazily to the surface.

Aroma: Coriander and orange rind dominate the aroma, with lesser spicy wheat aromas.

Taste: Opens with bready and spicy wheat notes, soon followed by coriander and orange rind. As the taste progresses, the wheat malt dominates, with the coriander and orange fading a bit. Finishes with lingering bready notes and a subtle herbal hop bitterness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A decent, very drinkable example of the style.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

Shiner branching out again with their rendition of a Witbier. I made sure to stir up the dregs to ensure that cloudy muddle character know in most. Subtle all around with any kind of spicing, bready wheat is very smooth and there is a mild sweetness within.

Not half bad bit nothing really pops here, nothing lively.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

EDIT: See the review by woodychandler instead. Its a bit pedantic, but its a better review and and hell, its a white so maybe thats fitting. I think he said it well though, "It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste." (Probably why I liked it since I generally do not like white beers)

Firstly, I should say I have been a rabid IPA drinker for about 5 or 6 years. Partly because I moved to the eastern US where the IPA's lack the qualities I love, and partly because I have been wanting to expand my beer experience beyond IPA's (which I have drunk all variants and types I could find), I have been trying to explore beers of styles I would not traditionally drink (i.e. non-ales).

Secondly, I should say I give this beer a 4.25 out of 5.00 for whites, not for beer styles overall.

Anyway, my opinion:

Serving Type: While I have poured in a glass, I really feel beers with light notes should be consumed from the bottle (though I do not have glasses appropriated for beer styles). I lose much of the sharp smells and taste when I do not do as such.

I give this beer a high score because its the best white I have had up to this point. I've tried several, and I generally think there is a poor, sour aftertaste for this style of beer. I really Spoetzl's White Wing because it has a clear and crisp finish.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%