Shiner White Wing - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Witbier |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Hoganlaw on 11-14-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner White Wing Alström Bros
Ratings: 480 | Reviews: 69

I always reach for Spoetzl Brewed Products for my Goto brew. Got me a sixxer as soon as it hit the shelves. Appeared orange with an off white creamy head. Everything about this beer was good. Smells of citrus, oranges, sweet grains, hops, and a small bit of cream. Very tasty drinkable beer ESP on a hot summer day.

4.86/5  rDev +42.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent. I prefer White Wing over Blue Moon for a refreshing wheat ale

4.46/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Definitely one of the better wit's available.

4.4/5  rDev +29%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a good Witbeir

4.28/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Justifying rating with text in the review area. I thought this was "optional", however, since they revamped the rating system, it apparently has it's moments.
I hope this satisfies the save of my rating.

4.27/5  rDev +25.2%

Easily in my top 5 favorite American beers. Perfect amount of coriander and orange with the beer flavor.

4.26/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

EDIT: See the review by woodychandler instead. Its a bit pedantic, but its a better review and and hell, its a white so maybe thats fitting. I think he said it well though, "It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste." (Probably why I liked it since I generally do not like white beers)

Firstly, I should say I have been a rabid IPA drinker for about 5 or 6 years. Partly because I moved to the eastern US where the IPA's lack the qualities I love, and partly because I have been wanting to expand my beer experience beyond IPA's (which I have drunk all variants and types I could find), I have been trying to explore beers of styles I would not traditionally drink (i.e. non-ales).

Secondly, I should say I give this beer a 4.25 out of 5.00 for whites, not for beer styles overall.

Anyway, my opinion:

Serving Type: While I have poured in a glass, I really feel beers with light notes should be consumed from the bottle (though I do not have glasses appropriated for beer styles). I lose much of the sharp smells and taste when I do not do as such.

I give this beer a high score because its the best white I have had up to this point. I've tried several, and I generally think there is a poor, sour aftertaste for this style of beer. I really Spoetzl's White Wing because it has a clear and crisp finish.

4.22/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm a sucker for a good citrus beer.

4.12/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a golden yellow with a god amount of head that lasts. Smells like a meadow full of wheat and clove with a hint of citrus. Taste is fantastic and goes down ultra smooth. One of the best belgian wheat ales I have had the chance to down.

4.03/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a solo cup.

A: Pretty standard golden haze, 3/4" bone white head that dies down quick with just a bit of retention. Lacing is pretty weak.

S: Mild honey-lemon. Coriander is detectable but super-subtle. Maybe a hint of cracker in there.

T: Bright & off-sweet with more pronounced cracker. Again the coriander is there but not doing much. Lemon peel with a touch of molasses on the finish. Tasty & refreshing.

M: Maybe a bit light for the style, but it seems to work with the flavors.

O: I've always had a soft spot for this brew, it's a cool take on the style & never over-reaches for anything. Prost!

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

The beer pours a nice light gold, that's pretty clear, not a lot of evidence that it hasn't been filtered. The aroma is a full wit aroma with flowery hops melding with the orange and coriander. The taste is outstanding covering all the basics for a wit, malt, hops, yeast, and spices blending well. A nice light feel, just as you'd expect from a wit. I thought this was a very nice effort from Spoetzl. While they usually give a nice low end version of most styles, a subtle style like a wit plays right into their sweet spot. One of their best offerings, I will be drinking more.

3.92/5  rDev +15%

Very attractive bottle label design.

pours a a gold, slightly hazy liquid with a white head.

Aroma is disappointing. Pretty much nonexistent.

Flavor is better. On the sweet side for the style but overall fairly complex. Some citrus, some spices, definitely can taste the orange peel. Maybe a little bit of clover honey. On second taste I'm also picking up some banana.

Medium mouthfeel. Better than average for Spoetzl with a little bit of well-balanced acidic prickliness.

Overall a good beer. Definitely a great session choice.

3.92/5  rDev +15%

After a long day of pheasant hunting, it's time for a relaxing wit. I'd also like to say if you're watching your weight this Wit only has 140 calories. Score.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into 16 oz glass

Appearance (3.75) : An aggressive pour yields a fluffy two fingered head on top of a slightly hazy golden yellow body. Lacing is left and the head recedes fairly quickly.

Aroma (4) : Wheat, lots of wheat. Some orange slice, coriander, spice, salt. I want to say it's a little sour smelling but it's more fresh than anything. Nice touch.

Taste (4) : I will never turn down any wit and this is no exception. It's got a robust peppery wheat flavor with hints of coriander, rice, and orange peel. Some sharp cheddar notes faintly add to the bite and is left lingering on the finish. Yeah, the "sharp cheddar" some would say is very weird in a wit but strangely, it fits. I won't knock it. Unique take on the witbier.

Mouthfeel (3) : Mouthfeel is where it falls short unfortunately. It fits the flavor but it's far from creamy or full. It's more like a lager, primarily adopted from Shiner's Premium Beer. It's very carbonated and light bodied. It ends slightly musky and dry but not enough of that characteristic to drag it out of lager territory. Gonna have to dock it some here.

Overall (3.92) : The aroma, appearance, and taste are great. It went down easy and was flavored uniquely. The mouthfeel falls short but that's not a huge problem for me. The main difference here between this and other wits is that it's got a peppery feel to the wheat taste and the musky sharp cheddar dryness. I'd drink it again, and it's a good Wit if you're not too picky. I'd like another actually.

3.91/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

one of Shiner's better brews, and definitely a step up from shock top and blue moon. the coriander is not overpowering which is the case with some other witbiers in my opinion. Overall solid witbier

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pale yellow, partially cloudy body with a nice, soft head. Soft grain notes in the aroma with a very pleasant orange and lemon character. Light malted grain flavors; wheat smoothness very noticeable; hint of black pepper spice. Light bodied with a dry, crisp finish.

A very fine witbier that comes across well-balanced, decently complex, and delightfully tasty. Smoothness, warmth, and a subtle yet varied fruitiness and spiciness all come together and make a tasty beverage. Perfect for anyone looking for a lighter bodied and flavored beer but with substance and intrigue.

3.77/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into a standard pint glass, this is a bright gold beer with a nice thick finger's worth of head. The aroma is actually pretty good for the style--lemony, very fruity, a touch of coriander--and the coriander comes through quite clearly when drinking. It's thirst-quenchingly acidic, and very fruity. It's actually not that bed of a witbier--heck, I'd even say it's on par with Hoegarden--2014 Hoegarden I mean, not 1990s Hoegarden, before it got dumbed down. Unusually good beer from Shiner.

3.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a Samuel Adams laser-etched glass.
Review from notes.

A: Cloudy gold, very small white head.

S: Clove and honey, some coriander.

T: A bit of spice, but smooth and balanced. Very Belgian.

M: Medium carbonation with some mouth slickness.

O: Really a decent Witbier. Nice attempt at the style by Shiner.

3.74/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of coriander, orange, hint of hop, slight yeast, slight sweet malt, and a hint of pale malt. Fits the style of a Witbier. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of orange, coriander, sweet malt, slight pale malt, and a hint of hop. Overall, decent appearance, aroma, good feel, and decent blend. Still, nothing special as a Witibier.

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden color with a thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are excellent. Strong orange peel and coriander aroma. Pretty much a malty taste. No bitterness from hops. Slightly spicy coriander taste at the end. Okay beer. Somewhat watered down. Would drink if available but wouldn't seek out and would probably drink something else if there was a good beer selection.

3.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Picked this up as part of a mixed 6 because I tend to like wheat beers. Okay appearance, not the murky look that i like of wheat beer and decent smell, but kinda weak. Taste was much better than expected after look and smell. Overall a decent beer but not one I will revisit unless the cost is good. Also loses points due to being below 5%.

3.61/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Shiner White Wing is noted as a Belgian White Style beer and is another nice addition to the segment.

The White WIng poured straw to lemon in color, with a nice holding head.

While noted as a Belgian White style, the pour provided a coriander AND light banana & clove scent like that of many traditional German wheat beers; it was an interesting mix that I was not anticipating but enjoyed.

Mouth feel was a bit lighter than I prefer with the White style, but very smooth. Taste had occasional sour notes but not consistent. Does not have the sweetness of other brands in the segment, but this may actually make it more sessionable.

I enjoyed this beer and look forward to sampling it on tap in the future.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow glass holds a thin white head that leaves a little soapy lace.

Smell: As a wit should, has a strong coriander based spicy note with a lemon peel edge. It goes just a bit sour.

Taste: A bready yeasty base, I think they actually went with a wit yeast, Shiner normally likes their house yeast for a unifying element in their beers, nice to see them step out. The spice note is light, and while there is a slight sour edge, I like my wits to pucker a little more than this does. A classic Shiner brew, towards the middle of the road, which is smart for a large brewer.

Mouthfeel: A bit light, a bit fizzy but loses it's sparkle before the glass is done. Could use a bit more base.

Overall: A nice light refreshing beer, a good beer to bring to a party, different enough to be of interest, light enough not to offend most.

3.58/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like it, it's like a Blue Moon but better

3.56/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass. It's a pale straw color with the style correct yeasty cloudiness. It poured with about a 2 finger bright white head that settled into a thin cap that lasted until it was done. Minimal to no lacing on the glass.

The smell is wheat and grain with citrus notes and a whiff of corander. A little more yeast becomes apparent as it warms. There is a background metallic note that I find in almost all Shiner beers. It's not objectionable. None of the Belgian 'funk' that's present in more 'serious' beers.

The taste is a nice light and refreshing version of a Belgian wit. It's a little sweet with notes of oranges and bit of spice. It's very low in hops bitterness. I also taste the faintest bit of lemony sourness, perhaps from the yeast?

The mouth feel is thin with bright bubbly carbonation. Perfect for those 100+ degree Texas summer days.
This is a nice warm weather, Belgian inspired brew that's definitely geared to a wider market than craft been aficionados. It's a nice alternative to Blue Moon. It's easy drinking and tastes good enough to have a few. I have a soft spot for Shiner beers. I will definitely be keeping some around through the summer months.

3.56/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled tonight on 2/4/14. Bought a single bottle for $1.00 in the 'discount beer bin' at the local grocery store since I never even seen it before last Friday. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy straw yellow in color with about a half of a finger white head that settles down to the top and sides of the glass. Some spotty lacing is seen. The aroma is of corriander, wheat with a hint of orange peel. the taste is actually even better and a tad on the sweet side. Clean finish with a hint of banana but I am sure there isn't any in there. Overall a decent brew.

Shiner White Wing from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner