Shiner White Wing - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner White WingShiner White Wing

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Witbier |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Hoganlaw on 11-14-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner White Wing Alström Bros

Ice_cyclops86, Jul 18, 2014

RossR, Jul 17, 2014

JamieLynn81, Jul 17, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

EDIT: See the review by woodychandler instead. Its a bit pedantic, but its a better review and and hell, its a white so maybe thats fitting. I think he said it well though, "It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste." (Probably why I liked it since I generally do not like white beers)

Firstly, I should say I have been a rabid IPA drinker for about 5 or 6 years. Partly because I moved to the eastern US where the IPA's lack the qualities I love, and partly because I have been wanting to expand my beer experience beyond IPA's (which I have drunk all variants and types I could find), I have been trying to explore beers of styles I would not traditionally drink (i.e. non-ales).

Secondly, I should say I give this beer a 4.25 out of 5.00 for whites, not for beer styles overall.

Anyway, my opinion:

Serving Type: While I have poured in a glass, I really feel beers with light notes should be consumed from the bottle (though I do not have glasses appropriated for beer styles). I lose much of the sharp smells and taste when I do not do as such.

I give this beer a high score because its the best white I have had up to this point. I've tried several, and I generally think there is a poor, sour aftertaste for this style of beer. I really Spoetzl's White Wing because it has a clear and crisp finish.

Ben-Bur, Jul 16, 2014

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

cody176523, Jul 07, 2014

Boone757, Jul 07, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

As the great bottle purge continues here at Chez Woody, I am more aligned with the Summer season, suddenly (I seem to be on an alliterative kick lately). I am a big fan of Shiner and I am happy to have their beers available here in PA.

From the bottle: "Brewed with Coriander"; "Brewed with Orange Peel"; "A delightfully odd bird from Shiner [-] As we finish our 104th year, we are excited to take on brewing this Belgian-style white. Authentic Belgian yeast is essential to brew a true-to-style Belgian wheat ale. During the brewing process. something unique and wonderful happens when this yeast and the addition of coriander and orange peel bland to deliver the spice and citrus aroma and taste distinctive of a white ale. Barley and wheat malts and Saaz hops find the right flavor balance and the light carbonation makes this a delightful white ale. Prosit!"

I utilized an agitating pour, involving continually swirling the beer in the bottle as it was being decanted into a glass. This prevented any cascading, but it did produce two rocky, fizzy fingers of bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a slightly hazy light-yellow (SRM = 2). Nose smelled more like lemon zest than orange peel and with a black pepper spiciness. Oooh. It is already a hot, humid day, so I am hoping for something refreshing from this beer. Mouthfeel was thin, but fizzy, with loads of carbonation. The taste was kind of light for the style, but I definitely tasted the orange peel at this point. The finish was semi-dry with the coriander giving it a black pepper bite. It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste.

woodychandler, Jul 07, 2014

cheah, Jul 07, 2014
3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden with a creamy medium white head. Aromas of citrus peel and coriander. The flavors begin with some lemon, then light bread, and finishes with some spices and a hint of bitterness to balance. Mouthfeel is decent. Overall a good witbier.

tronester, Jul 06, 2014