Shiner Blonde - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Blonde Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -57.8%

2.0 AT BEST!!!
Not to sound like a broken record, but

A- Very light, straw, I think there might be a hint of yellow in there...

S- Little bit skunky

T- bitter, some hops, salty?

M- Thin, watery

O- I got this in a reunion sixer also, and I thought long and hard about switching this one for something else.

1.65/5  rDev -44.3%

pours clear pale yellow with 1 finger head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells like cheap light macro but very faint

taste is very weak and watery - some sweet corn and bitter hops

mouthfeel is awful - if you are going to produce a light pale with no flavor it better have some carbonation and this brew is dead

drinkability - this is craft?? i call BS on that - for the same price of this 6pack i could have bought a 12 of stag which has 10x the flavor

1.68/5  rDev -43.2%

I bought a sixer of this stuff to enjoy while hanging out on my deck with friends.

A - No head, no lace, no haze, no love. This looks like any pale yellow macro lager.

S - Hints of metallic mineral notes and a faint twinge of spicy hops.

T - Tastes like any bland lager...albeit with a bit more assertive mineral and copper tones. Not really tasty.

M - Thin, weak, and overcarbonated.

D - This could have passed for Coors in a blind taste test. Very bland and boring stuff really.

1.83/5  rDev -38.2%

We just got this at my beer store and since I was having card night at my house I picked some up. I am lucky I had some other beers in the basement because this was not popular at all.
Appearance - Light yellow and clear with a good inch of head and fair carbonation.
Smell - A little hops and a little malt (I'm being generous here).
Taste - Not every beer can be a winner but I've had more flavors in some of the popular light beers, plus there's a funky aftertaste like I'm chewing on hay.
Mouth - Almost non-existent, very watery body.
Drinkability - I've had beers that were very unsophisticated (like me) that were well balanced or refreshingly light and remarkably drinkable,but this one missed on all marks.

1.9/5  rDev -35.8%

I purchased a Shiner Family Reunion 6-pack while visiting my aunt down in DC and it was a really good deal. I usually enjoy the Shiner beers.

From the bottle: "Local Love - In Shiner you'll find Blonde on tap at gas stations, antique stores, and of course the Spoetzl Brewery."; "Classic Blonde - This Bohemian-style Golden Lager is a classic Blonde Beer. Distinctive, flavorful, and refreshing."; "The Local Favorite - For over a century, we've been brewing this Bohemian-style golden lager at our small brewery right here in Shiner, Texas (pop. 2,070). And for just as long, it's been a local favorite. Folks around here have always loved the blend of European and American hops that make this Blonde slightly sweet and full of flavor. We hope you enjoy it as much as our locals do."; "There's nothing finer!"

My pour created a big fluffy finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. This was a Greg Koch Special, to be sure! Nose had a light lager-like honey sweetness underlain by a very light sulfurous odor, but nothing terribly untoward. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the immediate taste in the mouth was of metal, followed by a lager sweetness. Did I get this out of a CAN? No! But I definitely tasted metal and that was not pleasant. Finish was less obtrusive, but I still had that metallic tang in mouth well after the swallow. I CANnot remember whether I liked it in the CAN, but if my scores were better than from a bottle, stick to a CAN.

1.93/5  rDev -34.8%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz twist top bottle into a globe glass.

A: Straw yellow with a half-finger white head. Very little head retention and the remaining thin film of head clings to the side of the glass.

S: Grassy hops with a sweet, lightly toasted maltiness to accompany it and some corn-like qualities to it. Doesn't seem to much different than a basic macro lager.

T: Not at all of fan of what they got going on here. Very light and while it is crisp the main characteristics here is a light sweet malt with a quite off-putting hop character. Finish is an unpleasant bitterness. Its really missing something here and it doesn't do much to set it apart from a basic macro lager.

M: Watery and relatively highly carbonated.

D: I could not get through more than one of these (in fact I'll probably drain-pour the rest of it in favor of something more appetizing). There were just too many unpleasant qualities with the hops while paired with some watery malts that didn't make this one easy to put down.

Notes: Will not be buying this one again and not sure I'll be finishing it.

1.95/5  rDev -34.1%

Shiner Blond

Pours a light fizzy head. Color is a clear light straw yellow.

Aroma: Grains and corn (creamed corn). Much like the Light. Some grassy hops.

Taste: Bland. Creamy corn, grassy hops, grains. Not very much here.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends dry and bland.

Overall, much like the Light, but lighter. Not much here to talk about.

1.98/5  rDev -33.1%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pilsner glass, reviewed live:

A - Pale, transparent, straw golden color with a thin, thin head that recedes fast. Looks highly carbonated.

S - Pale malt, very light citric notes, stale adjunct. Mild and uninteresting.

T - Extremely watery through the climax, where a bit plain malt and an unidentified bitterness come through. Simple and uninspired.

M - Light bodied and crisp. At least they got this part right.

D - Simple, watery, and low quality. It's drinkable and slightly better than most macros, but that ain't saying much.

Shiner Blonde from Spoetzl Brewery