Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Shiner Blonde - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner BlondeShiner Blonde

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Blonde Alström Bros
1.55/5  rDev -47.1%

2.0 AT BEST!!!
Not to sound like a broken record, but

A- Very light, straw, I think there might be a hint of yellow in there...

S- Little bit skunky

T- bitter, some hops, salty?

M- Thin, watery

O- I got this in a reunion sixer also, and I thought long and hard about switching this one for something else.

1.64/5  rDev -44%

pours clear pale yellow with 1 finger head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells like cheap light macro but very faint

taste is very weak and watery - some sweet corn and bitter hops

mouthfeel is awful - if you are going to produce a light pale with no flavor it better have some carbonation and this brew is dead

drinkability - this is craft?? i call BS on that - for the same price of this 6pack i could have bought a 12 of stag which has 10x the flavor

1.69/5  rDev -42.3%

I bought a sixer of this stuff to enjoy while hanging out on my deck with friends.

A - No head, no lace, no haze, no love. This looks like any pale yellow macro lager.

S - Hints of metallic mineral notes and a faint twinge of spicy hops.

T - Tastes like any bland lager...albeit with a bit more assertive mineral and copper tones. Not really tasty.

M - Thin, weak, and overcarbonated.

D - This could have passed for Coors in a blind taste test. Very bland and boring stuff really.

1.86/5  rDev -36.5%

We just got this at my beer store and since I was having card night at my house I picked some up. I am lucky I had some other beers in the basement because this was not popular at all.
Appearance - Light yellow and clear with a good inch of head and fair carbonation.
Smell - A little hops and a little malt (I'm being generous here).
Taste - Not every beer can be a winner but I've had more flavors in some of the popular light beers, plus there's a funky aftertaste like I'm chewing on hay.
Mouth - Almost non-existent, very watery body.
Drinkability - I've had beers that were very unsophisticated (like me) that were well balanced or refreshingly light and remarkably drinkable,but this one missed on all marks.

1.95/5  rDev -33.4%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pilsner glass, reviewed live:

A - Pale, transparent, straw golden color with a thin, thin head that recedes fast. Looks highly carbonated.

S - Pale malt, very light citric notes, stale adjunct. Mild and uninteresting.

T - Extremely watery through the climax, where a bit plain malt and an unidentified bitterness come through. Simple and uninspired.

M - Light bodied and crisp. At least they got this part right.

D - Simple, watery, and low quality. It's drinkable and slightly better than most macros, but that ain't saying much.

1.95/5  rDev -33.4%

Shiner Blond

Pours a light fizzy head. Color is a clear light straw yellow.

Aroma: Grains and corn (creamed corn). Much like the Light. Some grassy hops.

Taste: Bland. Creamy corn, grassy hops, grains. Not very much here.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends dry and bland.

Overall, much like the Light, but lighter. Not much here to talk about.

1.98/5  rDev -32.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz twist top bottle into a globe glass.

A: Straw yellow with a half-finger white head. Very little head retention and the remaining thin film of head clings to the side of the glass.

S: Grassy hops with a sweet, lightly toasted maltiness to accompany it and some corn-like qualities to it. Doesn't seem to much different than a basic macro lager.

T: Not at all of fan of what they got going on here. Very light and while it is crisp the main characteristics here is a light sweet malt with a quite off-putting hop character. Finish is an unpleasant bitterness. Its really missing something here and it doesn't do much to set it apart from a basic macro lager.

M: Watery and relatively highly carbonated.

D: I could not get through more than one of these (in fact I'll probably drain-pour the rest of it in favor of something more appetizing). There were just too many unpleasant qualities with the hops while paired with some watery malts that didn't make this one easy to put down.

Notes: Will not be buying this one again and not sure I'll be finishing it.

I purchased a Shiner Family Reunion 6-pack while visiting my aunt down in DC and it was a really good deal. I usually enjoy the Shiner beers.

From the bottle: "Local Love - In Shiner you'll find Blonde on tap at gas stations, antique stores, and of course the Spoetzl Brewery."; "Classic Blonde - This Bohemian-style Golden Lager is a classic Blonde Beer. Distinctive, flavorful, and refreshing."; "The Local Favorite - For over a century, we've been brewing this Bohemian-style golden lager at our small brewery right here in Shiner, Texas (pop. 2,070). And for just as long, it's been a local favorite. Folks around here have always loved the blend of European and American hops that make this Blonde slightly sweet and full of flavor. We hope you enjoy it as much as our locals do."; "There's nothing finer!"

My pour created a big fluffy finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. This was a Greg Koch Special, to be sure! Nose had a light lager-like honey sweetness underlain by a very light sulfurous odor, but nothing terribly untoward. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the immediate taste in the mouth was of metal, followed by a lager sweetness. Did I get this out of a CAN? No! But I definitely tasted metal and that was not pleasant. Finish was less obtrusive, but I still had that metallic tang in mouth well after the swallow. I CANnot remember whether I liked it in the CAN, but if my scores were better than from a bottle, stick to a CAN.

2.05/5  rDev -30%

I was grilling some steaks for my wife and I tonight, and since I like to slow cook them and I had some things to do in the yard, I decided to try this to liven things up a bit. I picked it up in a mix and match six pack at the store the other day. Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance - Pale yellow with almost no head at all. Looks like your standard issue American adjunct lager.

Smell - Very light grain, not much to speak of. I tried everything, though maybe I had a stuffy nose or something, but no. There just isn't much there.

Taste - Basically tastes like a whole bunch of other American adjunct lagers out there. There is a hint of bitterness at the front and a dash of hops at the back end, but other than that almost nothing.

Mouthfeel - Water. It feels like you are drinking water, so I guess it would be great for a really hot day or something. There is something to be said about that if you live in Texas. It's very clean, leaves you with almost no realization you are drinking beer.

Overall - Remarkably underwhelming, for the price. I could have paid less money and gotten a whole bunch of other beers that pretty much taste the same. I do not think I will be buying it again, but if it was a hot day and I was offered one, I'd still drink it. It's still beer.

2.06/5  rDev -29.7%

Appearance – Delicate light yellow in color and not much of a head.

Smell – There’s a faint scent of grain, but otherwise this thing smells like one of those clear-colored Gummi Bears.

Taste – Ugh! There’s not even any grain in here, just that sickly sweet flavor of rock candy stuck on the underside of a high school bleacher seat.

Mouthfeel – Ultra-light with little carbonation and very disappointing.

Sinkability – This Blonde gave me a black eye.

2.07/5  rDev -29.4%

Beer number 2 of my shiner mixed 6

Appearance-I almost laughed at this as I was pouring it. Clear light yellow. No character at all. No bubbles, no head, no lacing, no retention...Not sure how this could be anything else but a 1. I'm giving it a 1.5 just because there is some carbonation floating up.

Smell-Nothing. Which is better then it smelling like Hot Peppers or skunkiness.

Taste-Taste's like water. I may have found a beer my fiance will drink alot of! At least it's not skunky or anything funky. Clean finish.

Mouthfeel-Very light, crisp.

Overall-If I was thirsty I could down a few of these cold just for the hell of it. Besides that, this beer is close to not even being beer. Drain poured half way through cause not even worth it. Next beer...

2.1/5  rDev -28.3%

Wow, another disappointment from Shiner. I really wanted to like this brewery. I really did...but so far nothing good and this one might be the worst of the bunch thus far.

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Pint glass.

Apple juice looking beer with a ton of carbonation but no head, no lacing, nothing. A light fizzy yellow beer. Smell was very faint and almost non-existent. Peach and maybe some spice. Grainy. Paper thin and watered down. This almost got poured down the drain but I decided to give it a fair shot. Still not working for me.

2.11/5  rDev -28%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light straw color. The head is a typical-looking one finger white shade. It seems to retain itself more strongly than others in the style, which isn't saying much.

S: Unfortunately, it's not far off (at all) from a typical adjunct lager here. Notes of corn and cooked veggies emanate from the aroma. These notes aren't as strong as they are in, say, Bud; if they had a healthy backing of hops behind them I could easily view this as a pre-pro pils and be done with it - alas, it's not the case. Meh.

T: Flavors are as straightforward as they can be - some sweet cream and a touch of corn. No cooked veggies from the aroma are here, thankfully. If this does anything right, it's the fact that the adjunct notes here aren't as off-putting like they'd be in a typical BMC product. Actually, my main problem here stems back to what I said about the aroma: where are the hops? The malt backbone is perfectly acceptable for the style, but without any balancing hops, it's simply too sweet.

M: Typical of a lager, it's light and easy to drink. But it finishes too sweetly, and as such, isn't as quaffable as it could be.

O: This seriously needs more hoppiness to it. What's sad is that this missing feature is all that stands between Shiner Blonde being just another crappy AAL (which it is) and a wholly solid pre-pro pils. A shame, really.

2.15/5  rDev -26.6%

Acquired via trade from gramatton, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light pale yellow color with a thin white head that very quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, grain and a faint amount of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a light malt sweetness that is followed by some grain breadiness and both flavors are I got out of it. Overall, there really isn't much to it to describe. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little smooth and a little crisp but kind of watery, light body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not too flavorful, goes down very easily and is not filling at all since there isn't much substance to it, very mild kick, not the best representation of style, it seems like one of those beers that is designed to be poundable but while it's light enough for that role, I didn't find it to have the kind of flavor I'd care for even in a lighter beer.

2.15/5  rDev -26.6%

L.Very light wheat with a thin white head
S. Light biter yet floral hop smeel with a little wheat
T. Pretty watery with a light wheaty sourness followed by a very light citrus and malt flavor
F. Heavy carbonation, feels like water down the throat

Watery, that just about explains this beer, if it weren't so watered down it might be ok, but definately not a good showing from Spoetzl.

2.16/5  rDev -26.3%

Pale golden color in the glass with the usual modest head. There is enough spritziness to be beery.

Kind of sweet with a corn flavor. Maybe it's grits, being Spoetzl. Overall it's pretty insipid. Just a touch of something bitterish at the finish.

I suppose a taste test would reveal whether this is better than Keystone, but we'll probably never know. From the 12 oz bottle as part of the "Family Reunion" six-pack.

2.17/5  rDev -25.9%

Looks like a macro in the glass.

This has more of an adjunct smell than the other light beers I've had from Shiner. Light, not much going on at all. But hey, it doesn't smell like rice, right?

Taste is malty and grainy with a hint of grassy hops, i'm assuming. The finish is short, almost absent.

This one isn't going to be for the craft lover. But at least it doesn't taste like an aluminum can, I guess.

2.18/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Fairly flat. Straw yellow. The only positive thing is the decent, thin layer of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Sour, burnt caramel and lemon. Skunky.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sour, skunky lemon and herbal soap (not that I have much experience eating that). Mouthfeel is sudsy, but also soapy.

Overall Drinkability: Just a bad-below average beer overall.

2.18/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a clear, pale yellow colored body with a fizzling inch of pure white bubbles, though it departs at a rapid pace.

The aromas begin with cereal sweet malts, flecks of cracked grains and light bready, water-soaked malts.

The tastes begin with pale and pilsner malts, modestly grainy and a vaguely sweet notion of honey water. A few corn husks. Very faintly herbed, spiced hops with an altogether low degree of bitterness.

The mouthfeel is light-bodied with medium-plus carbonation. Feels sour in the finish.

Overall, this is just a poor showing. Tastes sour and drinks to full and not crisp and refreshing enough for the style despite the lack of malt body flavor.

2.18/5  rDev -25.6%

I'm a big fan of both Shiner and lager but this is poor.

A: Extremely blonde - one of the lightest beers going other than Bud and Corona. Head disappears after seconds and carbonation is low.

S: Like a gently chlorinated swimming pool.

T: There's a bit of crispness in the middle but overall you're struggling to find anything here. A bit of lemonade and corn if you're being charitable. Virtually no aftertaste - the dryness disappears as fast as the head.

M: Not quite as watery as BMC but fairly close.

This lets down the 'family reunion' six pack. The Kosmos Reserve lager is miles better.

2.18/5  rDev -25.6%

Pale amber with a cottony white, cottony soft head that doesn't fall instantly, but isn't long-lived either. Within several minutes, I'm left with a patchy film on the surface of the beer and one small splotch of lace. The aroma is one mini-step above a macro lager. In other words, sour and grain-like with very little to recommend it.

It tastes better than most macro lagers, but not by much. Again, there's a mildly sour, mildly bitter, mildly skunky flavor that's only tolerable because of all the 'mildlys'. The mouthfeel is thin and the carbonation feels harsh. Bitter, dry as dust finish.

I don't really have much that's good to say about Shiner Blonde so I think I'll stop right here. Thumbs down.

2.18/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a typical clear bright yellow with a nice thick head. Aroma is malty and of average strength. Flavor is malty and on the thin side, no complexity. It feels a little watery, rather like a "light" beer. It is nice and smooth but not particularly delightful to drink.

2.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 0.5L Krušovice-branded pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow color with a small, fizzy head that dissipates almost immediately and leaves no lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles as well. Looks as yellow as your palest macros.

Smell: Smells like corn. This smells almost as bad as some light beers.

Taste: Really light on taste. Just grainy, corny flavors. Once again, just tastes like your typical adjunct lager. I really expected more from a Shiner beer.

Mouthfeel: Like over-carbonated water. Very little body to it.

Drinkability: Go elsewhere. While I could down a few of this in short order, there are cheaper beers out there that do the job just as well. If you're looking more for a tasty drink, go elsewhere too; there's very little of that here.

2.23/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bottle poured into glass leaves a small white bubbly head that quickly dissapears to leave a small ring of bubbles around edge and almost no lacing. Perfectly clear straw/yellow in color. Does not have a remarkable, but not bad aroma, smells like "light beer".

The flavor adds a little more than the taste. At first the taste is "light beer" but then you first get a hint of grapes, then husk and grains. Has a crisp grape/grain taste that lingers in mouth. Light body with high carbonation.

This beer is better than Major Brand X Lite, but not by a lot.

2.23/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours clear golden in color with a delicate white head. Somewhat spicey aroma of malt and hops. Thinnish, carbonated mouthfeel. Borders on watery. Taste is fairly clean and uninspiring. Reminds me a lot of your typical American macro lager. Grainy, with a touch of sweetness. Hops are present but very light. This beer is too meek to be offensive, yet too lacking in flavor to be recommended.

Shiner Blonde from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner