Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

to view more.
Ratings: 3,501 | Reviews: 1,053
4.87/5  rDev +54.1%

Great beer! It agrees with my palate!

2.36/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This beer poured out a light brown, with a thin layer of head that died quickly. Color was too light and head retention too short to give me a lot of hope, but here goes.

Aroma was lightly nutty and slightly sweet. Not too bad. But it was very faint, and did not declare itself as it should have. I had to sniff a second time to make sure there really was beer in the glass, not just the ghosts of an empty glass.

Taste was of very light malt. That was it. So faint there was almost no flavor at all. It made me think of how it would taste if you had a beer-flavored Mio and only added a few drops to your water. Zero bitterness.

This beer felt WAY too thin and watered down. I expected some body. After all, they are calling it a bock. Where the hell was the maltiness? Granted this is from Texas, not Munich... but still if you're going to name the style at least represent the dang style.

Overall very disappointing. It was drinkable, don't get me wrong. There was nothing about it that tasted BAD. I'd still take it over a PBR. But it is a poor representative of the style and was almost like drinking lightly flavored, nearly flat seltzer water. I am glad I only bought a single. It was at least worth the experience, since to really be able to rate a beer I feel you need to have tasted some bad examples as well as the good ones to be well rounded.

Had tried getting into bocks so started with this. With the reviews I was excited but overall disappointed. Not a bad beer but nothing great. I'll be in search of different bocks.

3.14/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours amber color with little to no head at all. Smells like a wheat beer. Also tatses like one too. Goes down smooth for me. Not a strong beer for my taste, I like em heavy. Still I can see myself getn a sixer for later. Not bad. But not the best I've had of this kind.

4.68/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Dark, full and smooth. An enjoyable pint.

Best bock I've tried in my life.

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ive fallen out of love with Shiner bock

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A good, sessionable bock brew

2.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am not too familiar with the style. A $3.00 Happy Hour draft special. Pretty forgettable.

2.79/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not bad store bought bock, better than most mexican options but not great either. Kind of flat and odorless. Taste is nice.

A really delicious, sessionable beer dominated by toasted malts and a rounded, smooth flavor profile. Not quite as good as Yuengling Traditional Lager, but fairly close. I don't know what kind of fault you could find with this one unless you were a big brewery snob. If that was your main reason for hating this one, then your opinion is invalid anyways.

Would absolutely purchase and drink again.

3.77/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

What can I say? I'm partial to Shiner, it's brewed in my home-state!!! Great beer,very easy to drink for a heavy brew.

A German beer from Texas. Heavy but drinkable. I really enjoy it. Smooth and balanced.

3.35/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The lightest Bock I ever had...but I enjoyed it

1.55/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

A suitable bock, nothing special

The way beer should be. You guys can keep your overrated fancy beers, just keep "The Bock" flowing for me. Shiner Bock is basically Texas personified into a beverage.

3.81/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Good Beer. If you haven't tried it yet then do so..

3.8/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a really tasty beer.

Great beer, the best to me.

3.36/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle poured in a pint glass. A rather light Bock beer with a dark amber translucent body and small-medium head. Smells of a balance of malts and grain with a hint of hops and alcohol. Taste mostly to the sweet malts side tending afterward to a slightly bitter bite of hops. Mouthfeel is mostly smooth, clean and refreshing, with medium crispness and carbonation. Overall a drinkable brew for an everyday beer but nothing special.

4.08/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shiner has always been one of my favorites.

3.51/5  rDev +11.1%

Decent beer. Better than your bud lights and keystone. But nothing great

2.59/5  rDev -18%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

This is not a bock. It's more of a flavored water. It reminds me of a waterd down abbey. No flavors stick out and what flavor there is, is stale and weak. If you like something like this then enjoy. If you're a bock fan, skip this

2.85/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle drank as part of a BJCP tasting group (Category 5: Bock) on 01/14/2015, poured into a snifter glass and drank over 15-30 minutes

Really nice chocolate flavor.not ooverpowering. Very good beer.

to view more.