Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Reviews by fabiansoliz:
4.53/5  rDev +43.4%

I had this beer on tap at the Tower of Americas Bar in San Antonio. It was a dark beer with a light taste and mild flavor. It didn't have a lot of bite. I live in New York and our community beer store has a lot of imported beers from around the world, but this one I can't find in the city.

4.68/5  rDev +48.1%

Shiner! In my opinion, the best thing to come out of Texas (my wife aside, of course). And we can't get it here in Illinois, so it makes visiting the inlaws a whole lot sweeter.

If not for the name though, I would never associate this 20SRM-ish brew with bock. It lacks the characteristic smoothness and rich body of most bocks that I know. In fact, this is among the lightest beers on my "favorites" list. I always thought of it more as a light brown ale.

Bottles are good but properly served pints are awesome! Catch one at the Dallas airport and you won't be sorry.

4.56/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Now, I have to level set for the rest of the 49 states that get Shiner weeks/months after it was made. I've toured the shiner brewery and can certainly attest to the affects of harsh storing and shipping condition on beer. I have had the flat, bitter, watery shiner bock that has been reviewed and I have also tasted the sweet "Texas tea" that is shiner bock, hours/days after the factory brewed it. Do not blame the brewery or the beer for the failings of time and mishandling of man. Firstly, shiner bock is no where near "hoppy" it is a sweet (as far as beers go) blend of yeast, malt, and hops. We sure do make bread with it down here. The deep caramel color is a clear indicator of taste. It is not intended to be be an overbearing weigh you down, alcoholic bock. It is refined for drinkability and sweet sipping (again think iced tea). It's certainly not a heavy headed brew that and does not pretend to be an exotic concoction of ingredients that blend together to make a disappointing off-putting flavor (Sam Adams Boston lager comes to mind). Take the traditional German respect for bier and an American sensibility for drinkability and crave for refreshing flavors and you have Shiner Bock. I can use apply all the adjectives and similes for the look but taste is he only thing that matters. I'd happily drink a shiner instead of a snobby craft beer placed on a pedestal that tastes like bathroom soap. If you notice the score I didn't say it was perfect due to the varying environments (consistency) I've tasted it in but it is good when it's good.

4.44/5  rDev +40.5%

This is the beer featured in country songs. Smoothest amber bock beer you can get under $10 a sixxer. Poors a good amber color with a nice foamy head. Mouthfeel is great and smells of hops and grains. Tastes like Texas. You show up at a party drinking this stuff and your guaranteed to get laid. This stuff is great. Shiner premium is also good to try. Anything shiner is good minus the farmhouse ale. Don't drink that crap. Shiner is guaranteed to make you a badass, get you laid, and put hair on your chest.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Well this is a standard I drank alot while living in North Carolina because the people I hung out with thought this was a "special beer".Pours a amber/brown with a light off white colored head.The aroma is grainy and lightly sweet and a little earthy.Taste is watery in my opinion with some resdual caramel sweetness but not much,not much of a bock for sure.

3.24/5  rDev +2.5%

2.63/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance – Nice, clear brown bock color with a little head.

Smell – Nice, lightly-toasted bock aroma. There seems to be a scent of cheap grain, though, like a Budweiser or something.

Taste – The traditional bock flavor is there, but some cheap graininess and a watery finish spoil the show.

Mouthfeel – Thin and watery.

Drinkability – This Shiner was indeed a black eye.

2.78/5  rDev -12%

The moment that I never drink a Shiner beer again can't come too soon. Fortunately, this is the last of my mixed pack.

It has a generic grainy aroma just like their other beers with maybe a hint of tree bark and maple.

Easy to drink, not much going on. A step above macro lager.

2.75/5  rDev -13%

2.75/5  rDev -13%

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Shiner Bock... Bock style beer at 4.4%. I expected more personally. Nice presentation of yellow label with red and black writing and a ram on the front.

A- Pours a dark reddish brown fluid with little head that produces very little trace lacing.

S- Simple metallic scents upfront with lightly breaded malts.

T-M- Taste is a very bland flavor of sweet malts and light hints of decaf coffee and alcohol esters. Mouthfeel is watery and goes as it comes.

D- Very drinkable at a price of a simple beer that is very macro-like.

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

3.72/5  rDev +17.7%

3.85/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured a deep copper body with a thin white head that faded quickly. Aroma of caramel, metallic copper and toffee. Medium bodied with a biscuity light malt flavor and sweet aftertaste that finished clean. Good drinkability, this is nothing to seek out, but a great alternative if you find it at a bar stocked with macros.

4.75/5  rDev +50.3%

2.78/5  rDev -12%

When I visited my daughter and son-in-law in Houston recently, I wanted to try one of the local brews. This is what they told me to order. It was a dark amber color with no head to it. It had a nondescript malty aroma, and a nondescript , vaguely sweet taste. Actually OK for mouthfeel, and drinkable in the sense that it went down easily. Not one of my favorite beers; hope other offerings from the brewery are better.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery