Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,552 | Reviews: 1,077

On a hot Texas nothing is finer than a cold Shiner......

It's dark with a reddish glow and a nice head imo.
Has a little bit of a butterscotch taste similar to Newcastle Brown Ale. It's pretty good beer it is easy to polish off a 12pack without even trying. Goes down good. Very satisfying beer taste. It's affordable, too, at least here in Texas, you can buy 12 for 10.99 at your local grocery store.

Favorite beer! Texas baby!!!! Woo!

The way beer should be. You guys can keep your overrated fancy beers, just keep "The Bock" flowing for me. Shiner Bock is basically Texas personified into a beverage.

A great example of what a BOCK is supposed to look and taste like. It is a dark Amber color. The smell is full and the taste is outstanding just the right amount of caramel left to linger.*****

Best bock I've tried in my life.

Baby got bock.

Best beer ever! So good! Even got a key to the brewery!

Great beer, the best to me.

4.99/5  rDev +57.9%

Shiner Bock has been and likely will remain my favorite beer for most activities. It's strong yet slightly sweet an very drinkable nature make it the perfect companion for most outdoor activities, but it feels most at home paired with tailgating and a good ribeye. The Spoetzl Brewery's most famous offering is the best example of an American-style bock; it doesn't have the strength of its German counterparts but is a very easy beer to drink and enjoy throughout the day. Overall, it's hard to knock Shiner Bock.

4.9/5  rDev +55.1%

Love this beer! I had Shiner Bock on tap for first time it was delicious! Color caramel brown, not much head on this beer tho. Smooth refreshing beer that in my opinion is great drink after doing yard work or honey doos. This definitely not a full bodied wheat or ale beer but an upgrade from typical mass produced bud light or colors light. Next keg will be Shiner Bock in my kegerator. One of my all time faves. Cheers.

4.87/5  rDev +54.1%

Great beer! It agrees with my palate!

4.82/5  rDev +52.5%

Look, I dont break it down for the 5 "groups" ...all I know is its' a darker beer that's full of flavor! It's very crisp, smooth, you can taste the hazelnut & caramel and to me, this is heaven in a mug! ...I was a Sam Adams fan, but this has just took the place of my "GO TO" beer!

Plain and simple, if you haven't tried this, TRY IT!!! ...if you have and don't like it, ...10 bucks says you're a budweiser/miller/heinekein fan and shouldn't be reviewing a beer like this!

A+++ BEER!!!!

4.78/5  rDev +51.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This excellent beer has a deep amber, almost copper, color and has a thin, white head. The smell is not overwhelming, in fact is very subtle. The taste is absolutely sublime. Not overpowering, not too hoppy, not bitter. It is perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky. This has been my all-time favorite beer for quite some time. It's very hard to beat this beer.

4.68/5  rDev +48.1%

This beer is a staple in my diet. It's got a nice dark brown slighty red color. It pours so easily without ever get to thick of a head. The foam is nice, it fades quickly and leaves almost no lace. The smell isn't one of my favorites (don't get me wrong, I like the smell but mostly because it is one of my favorite beers). It has an excellent mouthfeel with with the caramel flavors and all. It's drinkability truely exceptional whether you slowly drink it down or are just chugging away at a party. In my opinion, defeniently one of the best beers ever brewed.

4.68/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Dark, full and smooth. An enjoyable pint.

4.61/5  rDev +45.9%

Shiner! In my opinion, the best thing to come out of Texas (my wife aside, of course). And we can't get it here in Illinois, so it makes visiting the inlaws a whole lot sweeter.

If not for the name though, I would never associate this 20SRM-ish brew with bock. It lacks the characteristic smoothness and rich body of most bocks that I know. In fact, this is among the lightest beers on my "favorites" list. I always thought of it more as a light brown ale.

Bottles are good but properly served pints are awesome! Catch one at the Dallas airport and you won't be sorry.

4.6/5  rDev +45.6%

Upon the first sip of this beer, there is a slight hoppy taste, with a light feel in the mouth. The taste blends in good and leaves you wanting more as you drink it. A great beer for drinking straight from the bottle. Has a nice even pour into a glass though. Definatly a great beer for going to resturaunts with little selection and great for sitting at home and just enjoying beer.

4.57/5  rDev +44.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Now, I have to level set for the rest of the 49 states that get Shiner weeks/months after it was made. I've toured the shiner brewery and can certainly attest to the affects of harsh storing and shipping condition on beer. I have had the flat, bitter, watery shiner bock that has been reviewed and I have also tasted the sweet "Texas tea" that is shiner bock, hours/days after the factory brewed it. Do not blame the brewery or the beer for the failings of time and mishandling of man. Firstly, shiner bock is no where near "hoppy" it is a sweet (as far as beers go) blend of yeast, malt, and hops. We sure do make bread with it down here. The deep caramel color is a clear indicator of taste. It is not intended to be be an overbearing weigh you down, alcoholic bock. It is refined for drinkability and sweet sipping (again think iced tea). It's certainly not a heavy headed brew that and does not pretend to be an exotic concoction of ingredients that blend together to make a disappointing off-putting flavor (Sam Adams Boston lager comes to mind). Take the traditional German respect for bier and an American sensibility for drinkability and crave for refreshing flavors and you have Shiner Bock. I can use apply all the adjectives and similes for the look but taste is he only thing that matters. I'd happily drink a shiner instead of a snobby craft beer placed on a pedestal that tastes like bathroom soap. If you notice the score I didn't say it was perfect due to the varying environments (consistency) I've tasted it in but it is good when it's good.

4.52/5  rDev +43%

This beer is a dark beer. But it is not too dark it go`s down smooth. It has a some what heavy taste but not too heavy. If you like dark beer this is a good beer to buy. The smell is really good as well. The smell is not too strong or too weak. This beer is a good beer for just sitting back and relaxing around the house. It is also a good beer for out at a bar with friends, or at dinner. I would recomend it to anyone who likes dark beer, or to someone who likes to try new beers. It is one of my favorite beers and I know that I will have this beer again with no problem. So I would recommend that anyone who likes dark beer shpuld go out and have a Shiner Bock. I do not believe that you could go wrong with this beer.

4.52/5  rDev +43%

I love Shiner Bock. It's great on draft or straight from the bottle. It has a very dark color, which is surprising because it doesn't taste like a dark beer at all. It isn't very heavy and doesn't have a very strong taste. An ice cold mug of Shiner Bock can be very refreshing.

4.51/5  rDev +42.7%

Have had it on tap in many food and drink establishments in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

Great with steaks, beef fajitas, and brisket.

Clear brown brew, no cloudiness or sediment. Not much head, smooth and refreshing. Slightly nutty.

Very refreshing on a hot day.

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

I had this beer on tap at the Tower of Americas Bar in San Antonio. It was a dark beer with a light taste and mild flavor. It didn't have a lot of bite. I live in New York and our community beer store has a lot of imported beers from around the world, but this one I can't find in the city.

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

very drinkable.the price is usually right....

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

I enjoyed this beer a lot. It has a darkish red-brown color to it, but it drinks very smooth and lighter than it looks. Not much aftertaste. Good beer.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner