Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,020 | Hads: 3,680

It's dark with a reddish glow and a nice head imo.
Has a little bit of a butterscotch taste similar to Newcastle Brown Ale. It's pretty good beer it is easy to polish off a 12pack without even trying. Goes down good. Very satisfying beer taste. It's affordable, too, at least here in Texas, you can buy 12 for 10.99 at your local grocery store.

The way beer should be. You guys can keep your overrated fancy beers, just keep "The Bock" flowing for me. Shiner Bock is basically Texas personified into a beverage.

A great example of what a BOCK is supposed to look and taste like. It is a dark Amber color. The smell is full and the taste is outstanding just the right amount of caramel left to linger.*****

This is the beer featured in country songs. Smoothest amber bock beer you can get under $10 a sixxer. Poors a good amber color with a nice foamy head. Mouthfeel is great and smells of hops and grains. Tastes like Texas. You show up at a party drinking this stuff and your guaranteed to get laid. This stuff is great. Shiner premium is also good to try. Anything shiner is good minus the farmhouse ale. Don't drink that crap. Shiner is guaranteed to make you a badass, get you laid, and put hair on your chest.

4.99/5  rDev +64.1%

Shiner Bock has been and likely will remain my favorite beer for most activities. It's strong yet slightly sweet an very drinkable nature make it the perfect companion for most outdoor activities, but it feels most at home paired with tailgating and a good ribeye. The Spoetzl Brewery's most famous offering is the best example of an American-style bock; it doesn't have the strength of its German counterparts but is a very easy beer to drink and enjoy throughout the day. Overall, it's hard to knock Shiner Bock.

4.9/5  rDev +61.2%

Love this beer! I had Shiner Bock on tap for first time it was delicious! Color caramel brown, not much head on this beer tho. Smooth refreshing beer that in my opinion is great drink after doing yard work or honey doos. This definitely not a full bodied wheat or ale beer but an upgrade from typical mass produced bud light or colors light. Next keg will be Shiner Bock in my kegerator. One of my all time faves. Cheers.

4.82/5  rDev +58.6%

Look, I dont break it down for the 5 "groups" ...all I know is its' a darker beer that's full of flavor! It's very crisp, smooth, you can taste the hazelnut & caramel and to me, this is heaven in a mug! ...I was a Sam Adams fan, but this has just took the place of my "GO TO" beer!

Plain and simple, if you haven't tried this, TRY IT!!! ...if you have and don't like it, ...10 bucks says you're a budweiser/miller/heinekein fan and shouldn't be reviewing a beer like this!

A+++ BEER!!!!

4.78/5  rDev +57.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This excellent beer has a deep amber, almost copper, color and has a thin, white head. The smell is not overwhelming, in fact is very subtle. The taste is absolutely sublime. Not overpowering, not too hoppy, not bitter. It is perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky. This has been my all-time favorite beer for quite some time. It's very hard to beat this beer.

4.68/5  rDev +53.9%

This beer is a staple in my diet. It's got a nice dark brown slighty red color. It pours so easily without ever get to thick of a head. The foam is nice, it fades quickly and leaves almost no lace. The smell isn't one of my favorites (don't get me wrong, I like the smell but mostly because it is one of my favorite beers). It has an excellent mouthfeel with with the caramel flavors and all. It's drinkability truely exceptional whether you slowly drink it down or are just chugging away at a party. In my opinion, defeniently one of the best beers ever brewed.

4.61/5  rDev +51.6%

Shiner! In my opinion, the best thing to come out of Texas (my wife aside, of course). And we can't get it here in Illinois, so it makes visiting the inlaws a whole lot sweeter.

If not for the name though, I would never associate this 20SRM-ish brew with bock. It lacks the characteristic smoothness and rich body of most bocks that I know. In fact, this is among the lightest beers on my "favorites" list. I always thought of it more as a light brown ale.

Bottles are good but properly served pints are awesome! Catch one at the Dallas airport and you won't be sorry.

4.6/5  rDev +51.3%

Upon the first sip of this beer, there is a slight hoppy taste, with a light feel in the mouth. The taste blends in good and leaves you wanting more as you drink it. A great beer for drinking straight from the bottle. Has a nice even pour into a glass though. Definatly a great beer for going to resturaunts with little selection and great for sitting at home and just enjoying beer.

4.57/5  rDev +50.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Now, I have to level set for the rest of the 49 states that get Shiner weeks/months after it was made. I've toured the shiner brewery and can certainly attest to the affects of harsh storing and shipping condition on beer. I have had the flat, bitter, watery shiner bock that has been reviewed and I have also tasted the sweet "Texas tea" that is shiner bock, hours/days after the factory brewed it. Do not blame the brewery or the beer for the failings of time and mishandling of man. Firstly, shiner bock is no where near "hoppy" it is a sweet (as far as beers go) blend of yeast, malt, and hops. We sure do make bread with it down here. The deep caramel color is a clear indicator of taste. It is not intended to be be an overbearing weigh you down, alcoholic bock. It is refined for drinkability and sweet sipping (again think iced tea). It's certainly not a heavy headed brew that and does not pretend to be an exotic concoction of ingredients that blend together to make a disappointing off-putting flavor (Sam Adams Boston lager comes to mind). Take the traditional German respect for bier and an American sensibility for drinkability and crave for refreshing flavors and you have Shiner Bock. I can use apply all the adjectives and similes for the look but taste is he only thing that matters. I'd happily drink a shiner instead of a snobby craft beer placed on a pedestal that tastes like bathroom soap. If you notice the score I didn't say it was perfect due to the varying environments (consistency) I've tasted it in but it is good when it's good.

4.52/5  rDev +48.7%

This beer is a dark beer. But it is not too dark it go`s down smooth. It has a some what heavy taste but not too heavy. If you like dark beer this is a good beer to buy. The smell is really good as well. The smell is not too strong or too weak. This beer is a good beer for just sitting back and relaxing around the house. It is also a good beer for out at a bar with friends, or at dinner. I would recomend it to anyone who likes dark beer, or to someone who likes to try new beers. It is one of my favorite beers and I know that I will have this beer again with no problem. So I would recommend that anyone who likes dark beer shpuld go out and have a Shiner Bock. I do not believe that you could go wrong with this beer.

4.52/5  rDev +48.7%

I love Shiner Bock. It's great on draft or straight from the bottle. It has a very dark color, which is surprising because it doesn't taste like a dark beer at all. It isn't very heavy and doesn't have a very strong taste. An ice cold mug of Shiner Bock can be very refreshing.

4.51/5  rDev +48.4%

Have had it on tap in many food and drink establishments in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

Great with steaks, beef fajitas, and brisket.

Clear brown brew, no cloudiness or sediment. Not much head, smooth and refreshing. Slightly nutty.

Very refreshing on a hot day.

4.5/5  rDev +48%

I had this beer on tap at the Tower of Americas Bar in San Antonio. It was a dark beer with a light taste and mild flavor. It didn't have a lot of bite. I live in New York and our community beer store has a lot of imported beers from around the world, but this one I can't find in the city.

4.5/5  rDev +48%

I enjoyed this beer a lot. It has a darkish red-brown color to it, but it drinks very smooth and lighter than it looks. Not much aftertaste. Good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +48%

I'm from Texas and i absolutely love this beer! I like dark beers anyway but this has been a personal favorite for decades. I'm in California now and it just showed up in my local store and i'm drinking one now...excellent! just as i remember...

Balanced the way I like with just enough Hops to give it character but no bitterness and a sweet caramel malt flavor, somewhat light for a dark beer(imho)!! It reminds me of Irish Reds i like a lot for the same reasons.

I came to the site to check its ABV and was somewhat shocked to see 4.40% as it doesn't "feel" like that to me!

It goes well with food(esp beef jerky!) or by itself, a great beer for a hot Texas summer day...

4.45/5  rDev +46.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice amber color with not a lot of head. Carbonation is not to noticeable to me.

Smell: Caramel malts, not hoppy, a little sweet

Taste: You get the taste of caramel and some other sweetnesses, however its not too much. Not a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel: Definitely one that is not swallowed quickly, very enjoyable. Best food pairing I can tell you is Monte Cristo with the raspberry sauce from Bennigans or a Movie Tavern. Gave the sweetest aftertaste on the palate of any beer I ever tried.

Overall: This has been my go-to beer for any occasion. It is very well balanced in my opinion, and is highly recommended tho try on draft as well

4.43/5  rDev +45.7%

I just Love this beer.

I don't know if it is because I was leaving in TX for a year but this lager is simply great.
I have many souvenir of very hot days and the shiner served at very low temperature (almost freezing) and my glass wasn't big enough.

The taste is crispy with a bock taste. I always like flying at DFW just for one more!

4.42/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This is my go-to beer when back in Texas. It was my father's beer and that definitely influenced my choice also. I love the taste and the appearance. It's a darker lager-style beer (not a true German-style bock), and has a great finish. I like that it is becoming more widely known outside of Texas.

4.4/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As a Texan I have a special affinity for Shiner and the Spoetzl brewery. Shiner Bock is what turned me onto dark beers and it has always been one of my favorites. So good and popular that Anheuser-Busch had to copy it with their Ziegen Bock. It is in my opinion the Beer of Texas.

4.4/5  rDev +44.7%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Brownish amber coloring with a decent bit of head.

S- Smells a tad sweet with a noticeable, but not overpowering, smell of hops.

T- You can taste the slight hint of caramel malts. It has a hint of hops as well.

M- Goes down very smoothly with a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

D- Something you can drink regularly and frequently over the course of a night.

4.35/5  rDev +43.1%

If you are hating on this beer, let me say you are a jive ass mother fucker who doesn't know the first thing about ethanol. I am a scotch connoisseur. The only wine I can stand is Chianti. I may be a bit close minded about alcoholic beverages, but let me say Shiner is one of the finest beers in America.

Shiner has a caramel malted and nutty flavor. Very light barley and hop flavor, it reminds me of a Bavarian beer with a lesser prominent hop flavor.

It is like a German lager had a baby with a Scottish ale.

Not much to the smell, just sweet and corny.

The finish is the best part. It is incredible, one of the best finishes of any beer I have tried. It compares to Glenfiddich in terms of feel. I have always heard the brewery used to sell this beer for less, so possibly it could be more competitively priced.

It is good, and the best buy at a gas station. The only two beers I enjoy better are Belhaven and Yeungling(which it's strangely similar too).

4.35/5  rDev +43.1%

Shiner Bock is a great going-out beer. In a pool-hall with the buds, or a strip club....whatever the setting. It's a great beer to grill with, both to marinade and to drink while you cook. Shiner is the beer of Texas, and not without good reason. Grab a 6er and try it out next time you throw a grill on, and see what I mean.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner