Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,552 | Reviews: 1,077
4.52/5  rDev +43%

I love Shiner Bock. It's great on draft or straight from the bottle. It has a very dark color, which is surprising because it doesn't taste like a dark beer at all. It isn't very heavy and doesn't have a very strong taste. An ice cold mug of Shiner Bock can be very refreshing.

4.51/5  rDev +42.7%

Have had it on tap in many food and drink establishments in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

Great with steaks, beef fajitas, and brisket.

Clear brown brew, no cloudiness or sediment. Not much head, smooth and refreshing. Slightly nutty.

Very refreshing on a hot day.

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

I had this beer on tap at the Tower of Americas Bar in San Antonio. It was a dark beer with a light taste and mild flavor. It didn't have a lot of bite. I live in New York and our community beer store has a lot of imported beers from around the world, but this one I can't find in the city.

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

very drinkable.the price is usually right....

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

I enjoyed this beer a lot. It has a darkish red-brown color to it, but it drinks very smooth and lighter than it looks. Not much aftertaste. Good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

I'm from Texas and i absolutely love this beer! I like dark beers anyway but this has been a personal favorite for decades. I'm in California now and it just showed up in my local store and i'm drinking one now...excellent! just as i remember...

Balanced the way I like with just enough Hops to give it character but no bitterness and a sweet caramel malt flavor, somewhat light for a dark beer(imho)!! It reminds me of Irish Reds i like a lot for the same reasons.

I came to the site to check its ABV and was somewhat shocked to see 4.40% as it doesn't "feel" like that to me!

It goes well with food(esp beef jerky!) or by itself, a great beer for a hot Texas summer day...

4.45/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice amber color with not a lot of head. Carbonation is not to noticeable to me.

Smell: Caramel malts, not hoppy, a little sweet

Taste: You get the taste of caramel and some other sweetnesses, however its not too much. Not a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel: Definitely one that is not swallowed quickly, very enjoyable. Best food pairing I can tell you is Monte Cristo with the raspberry sauce from Bennigans or a Movie Tavern. Gave the sweetest aftertaste on the palate of any beer I ever tried.

Overall: This has been my go-to beer for any occasion. It is very well balanced in my opinion, and is highly recommended tho try on draft as well

4.43/5  rDev +40.2%

I just Love this beer.

I don't know if it is because I was leaving in TX for a year but this lager is simply great.
I have many souvenir of very hot days and the shiner served at very low temperature (almost freezing) and my glass wasn't big enough.

The taste is crispy with a bock taste. I always like flying at DFW just for one more!

Matt

4.42/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Shiner Bock is smooth going down

4.41/5  rDev +39.6%

This is the beer featured in country songs. Smoothest amber bock beer you can get under $10 a sixxer. Poors a good amber color with a nice foamy head. Mouthfeel is great and smells of hops and grains. Tastes like Texas. You show up at a party drinking this stuff and your guaranteed to get laid. This stuff is great. Shiner premium is also good to try. Anything shiner is good minus the farmhouse ale. Don't drink that crap. Shiner is guaranteed to make you a badass, get you laid, and put hair on your chest.

4.4/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As a Texan I have a special affinity for Shiner and the Spoetzl brewery. Shiner Bock is what turned me onto dark beers and it has always been one of my favorites. So good and popular that Anheuser-Busch had to copy it with their Ziegen Bock. It is in my opinion the Beer of Texas.

4.4/5  rDev +39.2%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Brownish amber coloring with a decent bit of head.

S- Smells a tad sweet with a noticeable, but not overpowering, smell of hops.

T- You can taste the slight hint of caramel malts. It has a hint of hops as well.

M- Goes down very smoothly with a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

D- Something you can drink regularly and frequently over the course of a night.

4.39/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Hits you like a ton of bliss

4.35/5  rDev +37.7%

If you are hating on this beer, let me say you are a jive ass mother fucker who doesn't know the first thing about ethanol. I am a scotch connoisseur. The only wine I can stand is Chianti. I may be a bit close minded about alcoholic beverages, but let me say Shiner is one of the finest beers in America.

Shiner has a caramel malted and nutty flavor. Very light barley and hop flavor, it reminds me of a Bavarian beer with a lesser prominent hop flavor.

It is like a German lager had a baby with a Scottish ale.

Not much to the smell, just sweet and corny.

The finish is the best part. It is incredible, one of the best finishes of any beer I have tried. It compares to Glenfiddich in terms of feel. I have always heard the brewery used to sell this beer for less, so possibly it could be more competitively priced.

It is good, and the best buy at a gas station. The only two beers I enjoy better are Belhaven and Yeungling(which it's strangely similar too).

4.35/5  rDev +37.7%

Shiner Bock is a great going-out beer. In a pool-hall with the buds, or a strip club....whatever the setting. It's a great beer to grill with, both to marinade and to drink while you cook. Shiner is the beer of Texas, and not without good reason. Grab a 6er and try it out next time you throw a grill on, and see what I mean.

4.3/5  rDev +36.1%

A: a nice amber bronze color. a bubbly head that falls fairly quick.

S: a lightly hop scented beer. with a grainy follow-up and an almost nutty finish.

T: all i can say is it tastes like Texas...

M: a medium thickness with a foamy heady finish. extremely smooth.

D: this is my go-to beer. "oh you don't have this? you don't have that? Ill take a shiner bock please."

P.S.

i have had shiner bock in a glass, on tap, and a can. it is all great.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good. One of my go to beers.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Light brown, lightly carbonated, light head, and alive.

Smell - Mildly smoky and malty with a slight earthy aroma.

Taste - Slightly bitter yet clean. Mildly malt flavor and excepted. No bad surprises and fits the bock style well as far a Texas made beer goes.

Mouthfeel - Light and clean, the beer feels nice on the palate.

Overall - My favorite beer for barbecuing, especially brisket. This beer is best served ice cold with ribs or Texas style barbecue.

4.25/5  rDev +34.5%

Appearance:
Good bubbly head that dissipates quickly. No lacing. The body has a color halfway between iced tea and coca cola. Clear. Average carbonation.

Smell:
Mild. Malty. Sweet.

Taste:
Malty and sweet. Clean, smooth, and drinkable. Mild hop flavor and bitterness at the end. Very slight toastiness to the malt. Adjuncts are not detectable.

Mouthfeel:
Medium bodied. Very drinkable. Decent carbonation. The low alcohol really helps this go down smoothly.

Overall:
A good beer. A lager with more character than most, but still very smooth and drinkable. Not cheap but not expensive either. Middle of the road in terms of price and quality. An easy drinking beer, with some character, that is better than many others.

4.22/5  rDev +33.5%

Introduced to this beer by my Texan wife who claims ot have drank copious amounts of it in college. This has become a beer fridge staple so keep that in mind reading. Great copper color, pours with a nice head that quickly disappears. Typical american lager smell with a slight asstringent flavor.

Good mouthfeel and a drinkablity that goes well with BBQ or Mexican. Not my favorite beer but I still find it appealing.

4.21/5  rDev +33.2%

One of my favorites. Good solid non-macro beer.

4.15/5  rDev +31.3%

love at first sight
smells great nice and malty
i love this beer, drink it all the time as it by far the best choice at most restaurants in the area. maybe its my current lack of tasting experience but to me this is what bock is supposed to taste like. full flavor, smooth and very consistent. puts a smile on my face every time.
good feel, you know its there and just keep wanting more.
great because you can slowly enjoy the first few and continue to pound them all night

4.15/5  rDev +31.3%

This is a great beer. Not at all what I would consider a bock beer, but very good. I wish I could get this beer here in Pennsylvania. We recently visited the Spoetzel Brewery in Shiner, Texas and had some fresh draft samples there also.
A malty and better than average amber lager. Nice head and
body. I hope they can get it up to my area in the future.

4.14/5  rDev +31%

I personally like the taste of the beer. Its color is good which fits its taste. I did notice after a while that it has been pulled from tap that it acquires a lack of a better word, a buttery taste that really dosn't go good with anything. I do like this beer and I'm not bashing it. The Buttery taste in my opinion did not take effect until thirty or so minutes after pour. I do keep some in my fridge. I have Shiner before to make burgers with, which turned out great. Good beer for Beer lovers.

4.13/5  rDev +30.7%

Shiner Bock poured a beautiful transparent autumn colored amber, with a 1 inch head in to my pint glass.

smell: The smell was that of flowers, slight hops, and almost a touch of citrus zest.

taste: Malty and lightly hopped, floral like flavor.

extremely smooth and clean tasting, yet in my opinion has the premier flavor and characteristics of a great session beer. The drinkability is perfect, I could drink these all night!

Cheers!