Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
grittybrews

Washington

3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured a murky mahogany-amber into a pint glass with a finger of off-white head. Somewhat watery aroma with a little grainy malt.

Moderate carbonation and a light, creamy mouthfeel. Slightly bitter flavors of bread and nutty caramel malt with a touch of lemon on the finish.

This beer was omnipresent during my years in Texas and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for it, even if it doesn't stack up so well when held up for review.

06-17-2011 04:30:45 | More by grittybrews
everetends

Alabama

3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

Had a keg of this (not by my self). Poured into glass tumblers.

A: Came out a dark gold brown with a nice fizzy head that receded rather quickly. Still had some light lacing.

S: Malt and hops. What else do you need?

T: Light malt, a touch of hops with a metallic twang in the finish. The twang doesn't really turn you off.

M: Light, a little watering with a good amount of carbonation. Very crisp.

D: We finished the keg, so I would say it is drinkable. It is nice change from any dominant macro that is for sure. Good attempt from a German brewery in Texas, but I prefer their Hefe.

05-13-2008 02:36:26 | More by everetends

3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

My favorite brew from the Spoetzl Brewery is a staple here in San Antonio.

I sampled this on tap at a local Hooters during a Spurs game.

When it arrived at my table in a frosted mug, the first thing I noticed was the extremely dark color of this beer. It also had a nice 1 finger head that was very creamy and stuck around like nobody's business. Lacing was also very pronounced.

The smell is kind of perplexing. It smells of musty, stale malt. If I graded this on smell alone, it would fail.

The taste was very nice, however. Caramel malts, some hops and a little alcohol. This was like a party on my palate (or maybe it was just the spurs crowd?)

The mouthfeel was thin, and the finish was dry and bitter. I like that.

Drinkability is very high. I could drink a ton of these if given the chance.

This is a nice offering from Shiner.

04-26-2008 09:29:26 | More by 1099
socon67

3.46/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Dark amber pour with a clear look. No lacing of note, and foam rises high but really doesn't retain.

S - sweet malt smell with some scents of caramel and mahoganey.

T - Flavor is certianly sweet with some syrupy sugar taste. Malt flavor is nice at first but not something that impresses you thw longer you drink this beer. Its a standard domestic bock, and is not going to stand well against its German counterparts.

M - Light feel though oddly it does have a thickness to it. This is a decent beer to have with some smoky BBQ, which I've done in Dallas a couple of times.

O - Not a standout bock though also not deserving of the brutal reviews it here. Take it for what it is, a step up from the macors and something other than a pale ale.

04-06-2013 00:01:56 | More by socon67
archyquaffer

Montana

3.46/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a longneck into a shaker. A moderate pour gives you about a half inch of off-white head, which dissipates quickly and is semi-sticky. The beer is a pale reddish-yellowish brown with medium carbonation which keeps it frothy around the edges.

Malt-forward on the nose, with just a hint of earthy hops. I think the malt does taste like Viennese malt, and produces aromas and light flavors reminiscent of muskmelon (to me, at least). The taste is of light malts, with accents of light sweetness, with brown sugar and honey-like accents. Very light hop bitterness on the tongue with maybe a little bit of lingering sweetness. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

Shiner products just became available in my area, though I had tried some in Wyoming a year or two ago. While this beer has little in common with any German or microbrewed bock that I've tried, it may harken back to American "bocks" that came out seasonally way back in the day- quite a bit darker and a little sweeter than the average pale brew, with perhaps a tiny bit more alcohol.

05-01-2014 04:28:11 | More by archyquaffer
CarlosRuizsChauffeur

3.46/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Isn't dark at all for a bock, but it has a nice brownish gold color to it
S: Do not smell too much with this beer. Left something to be desired as I was hoping it would smell more like a strong lager
T: Very drinkable. Nice balance of darker lager tasting notes with some slight hoppy after tones. Not too much complex flavors happening, but could definitely be a great session beer because of its drinkability. Malts are roasted, but are not burnt or over roasted.
M: Pretty standard. Nice amount of carbonation. Not overwhelming, but almost underwhelming as far as bocks are supposed to be
O: If I found a relatively cheap case of Shiner Bock I would not be opposed to drinking a plethora of them in one sitting (hence the drinkability). But for the beer nerds and connoisseurs out there I would not seek out this beer over some of the other options. Worth trying, but nothing spectacular.

08-12-2014 03:44:43 | More by CarlosRuizsChauffeur
tdm168

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a deep amber with a 1/4" of head that quickly fades. Smells fruity and malty. Taste is malty and fruity as well with a light malt character and an apple like fruity sweetness. Over carbonated and rather light and thin.

If this beer weren't over carbonated and had just a slightly more robust flavor profile, it would be a really decent beer. As it stands it's just OK.

08-10-2011 02:23:50 | More by tdm168
rdub

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

I had this in Oklahoma at the airport. The dudes at the bar raved about it. So, I picked up a mixed sixer and sat down to review. The golden appearance and medium, quickly dissipating head was not so bad for a semi-mainstream brew. I love the sweet malt taste of this for some reason, perhaps a bit too much. Mouthfeel was medium and ShinerBock was easily drinkable. Nice.

11-10-2009 03:22:44 | More by rdub
tab021

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

was down on vacation in Texas and figured I'd try the locals, so here goes

A- Golden brown. sort of clear

S- faint sweet

T- Tastes pretty decent. not very bock like but surprisingly good.

M- clean and easy

D- could take a whole case of these back with me. easy go to favorite from shiner (so far)

04-12-2008 04:04:14 | More by tab021
soju6

Missouri

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Beer pours a clear deep amber color with a light head that fades quickly. The smell is of toasted grain and a bit sweet. The taste begins sort of sweet but finishes clean. It has a light feel with not much body but goes down smooth & easy. Good beer to drink for most any occasion. The alcohol content makes it a good session beer.

04-27-2010 22:00:06 | More by soju6
Beerbluesbiology

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours an amber-brown body with an initially light head dwindling to faint lacing. Smells of slightly metallic husk but not too strongly. Tastes of toasted grain, tiny pinch of hops with a relatively sweet and dry finish. Cannot pick up any strong traces in particular. In this bock style, this beer could use a bit of "beefing" up in terms of flavor, however, this is a light, refreshing beer nonetheless.

12-18-2010 23:38:15 | More by Beerbluesbiology
Tuck_leepulin

12oz Brown bottle with twist-off cap. Poured into a mason jar glass

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep amber with a finger of head that quickly dissipates

Smell: Caramel malts and faint hop aroma

Taste: Similar to the aroma with cracker malt up front, slight hop bitterness, and a clean, sweet finish

Mouthfeel: very watery compared to a traditional bock

Overall: Judging this beer as a bock will give it very low scores, but this beer is a great lager for warm days, tailgates, and hanging with friends. Its easy drinking and quite enjoyable. If this is priced the same as macro beers than this is great, but I really don't like Shiner trying to market itself for more than what it really is. I always pass it up if its more than $8-9/six pack or more than $13/12pack.

08-05-2014 23:47:57 | More by Tuck_leepulin
Keith8

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

From Texas by Texans this is what I would call a great fishing beer.

Not too strong and great for a hot day of fishing. Actually the can is better than the bottle.

I feel the can is better than the bottle because the taste is more subdued when compared to the bottle.

Overall not the best, but still pretty good compared to other high price ambers.

08-30-2012 02:00:25 | More by Keith8
prosit13

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Shiner Bock-maybe it's just a Texas thing but I could kick it back all day. Nice and light, easy to drink, admittedly out of line for a bock but we love it. Perfectly hopped for enjoying in the hot Texas sun and with a nice touch of sweetness on the finish. Great with a generous wedge of lemon. We love it and the whole world would to if they could get their hands on it.

05-04-2011 07:26:27 | More by prosit13
ski271

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Friends from Tennessee brought up a case of this with them, and boy did we plow through some bottles! It pours a dark slightly-reddish copper with a small, off-white, foamy head that quickly diminishes to a tenacious film. Very little lacing. The smell is mild, bready malt, caramel, light citrus and grape. The taste is mild too, with solid malts up front but turning a little weak in the middle. The finish is short, crisp and slightly woodsy. It has a medium-light body, dry texture, and soft carbonation. There’s something about this beer that makes it so ridiculously drinkable. Highly sessionable and it seems to get better the more you drink. The beer is nothing special, but I’d definitely pick this beer up as an everyday beer if I could get it up here. However I have to lower my rating a bit since it’s quite weak for the style. I expect more from a bock.

10-30-2005 16:23:47 | More by ski271
clemtig76

South Carolina

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

This must have been a really fresh bottle. New label with a little history lesson on it. Pours a beautiful dark amber with a thin off white head that lingers for a short while before disappearing. Sweet malty aroma you would expect from a bock.Taste is much smoother than the dark color would lead you to believe, smooth, sweet and malty with just a hnt of herbal hops. Good session beer.

09-14-2005 19:01:32 | More by clemtig76
PicoPapa

Connecticut

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Welcome to CT. On tap at 2 Bros. Pours a translucent reddish copper color with a half inch of head. Zero lacing. The aroma is malty and bready with some light caramel notes. Maybe a hint of citrus. The taste is more of the bready malts with some caramel and light orange peel. Malty finish with some light nuttiness. Very light mouthfeel for the style. Thin. This is a decent easy drinking Bock but it is certainly not going to replace 'Gansett Bock as my go-to in that category. Overall, alright.

05-05-2014 19:01:06 | More by PicoPapa
CaptJackHarkness

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

From a twelve ounce bottle, coded, no discernible date.

Aroma of caramel,malt. Pours amber brown body with quickly dissapating white head. Head reduced to thin non lacing film. Taste is rather bland and bready. Leaves an odd, alkaline aftertaste, but not unpleasant.really, nothing like I expected.

06-19-2014 01:08:11 | More by CaptJackHarkness
scottblaze

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

A popular beer here in Texas, I've drank gallons and gallons of this stuff on tap, bottle and can. The various types of servings give it a different feel. Sometimes I really like it a helluva lot other times I would just as soon pass. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in at the time or something. It is one beer that we've kept on in the firdge on a regular basis and if I should ever get a kegerator it'll probably be a ocasional visitor there also.

At times it almost seems to have a slighty sour nose and other times it is a quite pleasant light molases (maybe it is just me)

A light malty and hop balance and not too carbonated.

Overall a good easy to drink session beer that (in my opinion) is a signifacant cut above BMC. I like it cold.

This one screws up the girlfirend meter, she and I both like it.

07-10-2007 16:19:23 | More by scottblaze
PhantomVodoo

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Amber in color with an off-white head.
Aroma is faint, but shows lightly roasty malt and earthy, slightly pungent hops.

Taste is pretty mild, but has some crispness to it. Lightly roasty, toffee malt flavors and earthy hops. Touch of sourness to it, but otherwise pretty clean.

A little thin, but still a decent mouthfeel for a dark lager.
Drinkability: unexciting, but easy-going.

OK, calling this a bock should be illegal, but this is really a decent dark lager. Better than I was expecting after some of the bad things I've heard about this one.
Big thank you to AKSmokedPorter for bringing this Texas legend up to Ohio for me!

11-03-2003 05:03:14 | More by PhantomVodoo
wedge

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a deep chestnut color with a rush of fine carbonation. Nice, big foamy head eventually settles to a frothy top. Aroma is sweet and slightly corny with a fair amount of caramel...seems pretty dull overall though. Malty, nutty flavor with a thin toasted caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is weak...gives it a rather watery feel.

Nothing really stands out about this "bock" but I have to admit, I could knock quite a few of these back with great ease. I found absolutely nothing offensive whatsoever...yeah, its thin and not all that exciting, but its still a decent dark lager of sorts.

08-22-2006 00:39:08 | More by wedge
Zorro

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a clear dark brown brew.

Smell is sweetish and very malty, faint trace of Banana, Not a bock more of dark lager.

Taste is that of malty mild ale, not a bock. Crap for a bock, pretty good for a lager or ale. It is a level above Budweiser and others of the Macro brew Ilk.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability is good, this stuff was great when drank with BBQ in San Antonio, Texas.

02-27-2004 03:50:51 | More by Zorro
oelergud

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Crystal clear red and brown body. Light tan somewhat rocky head with ok retention but very little lace. Good carbonation initially but doesn't last long.
Sweet malty brown sugar scent with a hint of grass, wet moldy hay and sommerfields.
Unassuming mild malts up front giving way quickly to a short lived aftertaste. Caramel notes and small hop presence.
Only a little coating, this is a lager afterall. Leaves the palate wet and slightly oily.
Easy to drink as not much is really going on, low ABV. Maybe too subtle to be a good bock. More assertive malts and spicier hops without being over the top would be a great improvement however, I bet this brew is a damn good thirst quencher for the Texan rancher.

-Oelergud

04-02-2006 23:02:21 | More by oelergud
BigRedN

Nebraska

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Brown, slightly reddish when held to a light. Thin off white head quickly settled to nothing.

Smell: Malty, roasted malts giving a mostly chocolaty aroma.

Taste: Slightly sweet, but a good malty sweet, not an adjuct sickly sweet. Taste impressions of caramel and chocolate.

Mouthfeel: A little thin, but close to medium bodied.

Drinkability: A nice little quaffer, that I have purchased more than once. It was hard to keep in stock at the liquor store I used to work at. Transplanted Texans would buy by the case and t was not uncommon to sell 3 or 4 cases a week. A nice beer from Texas, definitely better than most macros, and different than your typical macro. I would recommend at least trying.

01-19-2005 04:28:40 | More by BigRedN
patric

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Well, I have to say "this little Shiner bock, was...different."

I really didn't expect the brandy, watered down grape juice color. I thought for a moment i was pouring a kind of wine... The smallish head of foam that initially got me wondering, faded quick, and it almost looked as if my beer had gone flat.

I swirled it around after a few drinks and it seemed to be laying small oil runs on my glass.

I was drinking from a Stella Artois chalice, so that may have played into the drama... but after thinking about it, i think it was the beer itself that had me freaking out.

So...the beer--
Taste-the beer has a decent taste, and would probably would be paired well with fish, or chicken. It's very light and has a juice kind of feel to it.

Looks---cool color. a brunt amber, chestnut, morning glow kind of thing.

The Buzz-A light feel, more in my head than my body. no heaviness at all. good for a Sunday when you have to get up at 4:45.

this is a work in progress.

12-10-2012 01:11:33 | More by patric