Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,011 | Hads: 3,632
2.09/5  rDev -31.3%

A beer almost as bad as a sober moment in texas. When you have to add food coloring to a beer you are making it wrong. When they say everything is bigger in texas, they must be referring to the hype around this swill as well.

Presentation: 12 oz twist off- what, coke doesnt even use a twist off

Appearance: A pretty obviously fake dyed brown, little head, little carbonation very little evidence of depth.

Smell: Aroma of whatever is already in the room with a hint, hint of malt, they should probably call up DOW chemical and purchase some sort of aroma along with the coloring they add.

Taste: No body, a coors light mouth feel, with a hint of O'Douls amber. Unlike most bocks, gets much worse the warmer it gets.

Notes: the love for this beer in texas explains a lot about the state, get into an argument with a texan and they'll tell you how much better than bud it is, like that's an achievement that nobody else has reached and can't be topped. But hey, maybe in texas being slightly better than the worst macro swill american lager is something to be proud of.

2.09/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a great dark copper brown, very clear, thin white head that disappears really quickly. Smell has a very light sweet aroma with some caramel/toffee, no, hop.

Mouth feel is thin, watery and very carbonated.

Very little flavor upon drinking, watery, carbonation, then once the bubbles dissipate off the tongue you can taste a very slight malt and caramel flavors with a tiny sweetness all in the background but no prominent flavor other than the watery o2. No hop taste at all.

Overall a very bland beer, not bland enough to tip, but close.

I'm just glad this was a left over from a party and i never paid for this so called Bock. I suggest sending this back to Texas.

2.1/5  rDev -30.9%

At first the head looks promising. It fades to a small ring in a matter of seconds that leaves very little to no lacing. The beer is too clear for my tastes, clear and a dull brown with a little yellow around the edges.

When cold an aroma is difficult to detect. As it warms it becomes sweet as you would expect a bock to be. Sweet malts, ever so slight caramel whiff. Syrupy.

Again, when cold there isn't much flavor. Some malt but not much sweetness. And again, as it warms it definitely becomes sweet and a bit malty. The bit of bitterness is provided I think, by darker malts. A twang from what I think is over-carbonation is present.

I'd seen signs and bottles and packs of this all around since moving to Arkansas. I am very disappointed. The beer just doesn't have any redeeming qualities and seems to be a lacking, slightly sweet commercial lager.

2.1/5  rDev -30.9%

If you don't like the taste of beer or you like the taste of water, this is your brew. It's not terrible. It's drinkable, but so is diet coke.
This beer will fool you. It has a nice looking amber color. From a distance, very appealing. Just no flavor.

2.11/5  rDev -30.6%

pours amber, with fine bubbled carbonation, and a quickly dissipating head. if the color isn't enough of an indicator, it's immediately apparent that this isn't really a bock by pouring viscosity alone.

big giant DMS hit immediately after the pour. blech. once that clears, there's a "salty caramel corn" component, which is a little better. I don't smell any hops, and don't really expect much with this style, but some hint of german noble hops would be nice. what is there reminds me of rotting seaweed at the ocean.

flavor is primarily toasted caramel in nature, with a little corn sweetness, and maybe a hint of roast. tough to tell. there's really not much to work from, and this completely pales in intensity to a true -ator class bock.

mouthfeel is thin, as it should be for an amber lager, but way too thin for a true german-style bock.

I remember being unimpressed when I had one of these in san antonio, and thinking to myself "this is a bock?" it's drinkable, albeit pretty boring. like a standard american lager with caramel coloring added.

this bock is a gelding in comparison to the real deal.

2.11/5  rDev -30.6%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a nutty, caramel-brown color. It's very clear, with plenty of visible carbonation rising to the top of the glass. There it becomes a head that gets to about one finger before diminishing to a thin ring. It's pretty dark for a lager; it's basically in Marzen territory. Maybe darker.

Shiner Bock smells of sweet grain husks and commercial honey, like from a bear-shaped plastic bottle. Some grass-clippings hops are here too, but they are distant. It's mostly like a slightly-more-amber-malt smelling version of Miller High Life.

This beer is not good. It tastes very cheap: chalky yet sweet grain flavors, some vaguely metallic hops. It's crisp, sure, but finishes like I licked a traffic sign.

The mouthfeel is fine, I guess. It's got a fine body to it. The beer has a sweet mouthfeel but the hop character clashes with it. Overall, this beer is a pretty pathetic bock. It's not tasty at all. I feel like Padma Lakshmi when she was tentatively drinking Shiner Bock on season 9 of Top Chef. I feel you, Padma. I feel you.

2.12/5  rDev -30.3%

Had this at a restaurant to go with a dish that was cooked with the stuff. Both looked better on the menu than they did on the table.

Appearance was that of a glass of iced tea sans ice. Or maybe brown dishwater. No head whatsoever. Aroma? Very faint smell of grains. Flavor was weak malt and water, not necessarily in that order. Carbonation was stronger than expected, which seemed to give some semblance of body to an otherwise thin and lifeless brew, and I'll give it an extra half a point for drinkability simply because I actually had two...although I'm still not sure why I ordered the second one.

2.13/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Appears decent. Good thick frothy head. Little lacing going on.

S - Almost smells metallic, strange leafy smell, a little caramel and really lacking depth.

T - based on how dark the brew is, you would think it would have a nice deep flavor, but it tastes like water. Flat and stale tasting. No hops to be found, no pine.

M - kinda flat and watery, although smooth.

D - I think the only way I would drink this beer again is if it were free and there were no other beer available. Reminds me of cheap yellow beer masquerading as dark beer.

2.14/5  rDev -29.6%

Ordered on tap. Looked ok a deep mahogony in the club. Not much going on in the way of smell. Mouthfeel was carbonated like soda to me and the bitter tastes and sweet tastes were not blended, adjunct taste. I love Bocks and Dubblebocks, great quaffing beers for me and remind me of my tour in Germany, this one I just couldn't finish. This brewerys offering just aren't to my taste though it seems to be a solid seller.

2.15/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from a bottle into a 12 oz plastic cup. Lovely light brown color. No head at all, just some attractive lacing. Little aroma at all. Flavor is disappointing, one-dimensional. Little bitterness, no detectable hops flavor. Mouth feel is thin. Overall a timid and uninteresting brew. I won't be trying it again. I've never sampled anything by the Spoetzl Nrewery before. I hope this is not their best!

2.16/5  rDev -28.9%

Serving was from 12 oz. longneck, with a "drink by" date of Aug. 21, 2006 (and my taste was July 1, 2006 .. so it was 'in date').

The pour produced a deep copper/amber colored brew, with a small tan head that disappeared rapidly. Minimal sheeting evident. Almost nothing to the nose, perhaps a light maltiness, but disappointing for a bock. I found the taste rather lacking in what I expect from a bock, i.e., lacking in malt character and sweetness. If there are hops in there, they must have been of the stealth variety, as it had no hop bite at all. I found the mouthfeel to be thin, especially for a bock. Overall, I would have to say this beer, imho, is entirely "unremarkable". Nevertheless, I would prefer this to any of the mass produced 'lawnmower beers' sold across the country.

2.16/5  rDev -28.9%

It had been perhaps 10 years since I last had this beer...which was a few years before I knew anything about beer. And while it was once a trade-up for me, it is no more. This bock is more like a mainstream lager than any other bock I've tasted. Aroma of this beer was of corn rather than malt, and its appearance was a pleasing clear red-brown with a minimal amount of head. Flavor was pretty lack-luster...not as corn-y as the aroma, but still not very malty for a bock. Mouthfeel was unremarkable, but I have a hard time imagining drinking more than 2-3 of these...not because they were flavored extremely strongly or because it is high in alcohol, but just because drinking it kind of made me want something else.

2.16/5  rDev -28.9%

A: Amber with little no head and lacing.

S: Not a whole lot there. What I did notice was a little bit of corn. That's about it.

T: Watery. That was my first impression. Very malty with some spiciness. But mostly just watery. Not impressed in the least.

M: Average. Again, watery. Not impressed.

D: If you can get through the mediocrity bordering on badness of this beer, it's easy to knock back a few without really feeling it.

A friend in college told me this was his favorite beer. I think it's time to introduce him to the good stuff.

2.17/5  rDev -28.6%

As someone who really enjoys German style bocks I was disappointed. It was light, nutty (more like a brown beer), a bit watery and lacked defining flavours. It is an
easy drinking American beer that tastes like it is from a big brewery. It will work with a burger but don't bring it out to impress friends.

2.18/5  rDev -28.3%

I originally sampled this beer on 3 August 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This has a dark amber color with a medium white head.
Aroma: This beer has no aroma
Flavor: Shiner Bock has very little taste. It's not a bock. It's a notch above the megaswills, but that's about it.

Original Rating Date:
June 24, 2008

First off, this isn't a true bock. I don't know if it's a requirement to be from Texas to like this beer, but I just can't see why everybody gets so into it. Average aroma. Decent pour, not very much head, not very much lace. Taste is malty, a little bit sweet, but is killed by being too watery. Very light bodied. Overall not a terrible beer, but in the battle of fake bocks, Michelob's Amber Bock is actually more enjoyable. I have no desire to ever try this again.

2.18/5  rDev -28.3%

Want to try a beer that makes Budweiser taste like a craft beer? Look no further. Shiner Bock, despite it's loyal fanbase, has to be one of the blandest and most watered down beers I've ever tried.

A- Nothing too wrong with the look of the beer. The bottle is appealing and the brew pours a golden straw with a fluffy white head.

S- Not much to be said for this category... Malt, cereal grains and straw. No hops whatsoever

T- This beer tastes like Pabst Blue Ribbon mixed with sparkling water and just a hint of rust. Not altogether awful, but not what I'd classify as good beer in any way shape or form.

O- No hate to the brewers or to the fans, but I advise fans of quality brews to stay far away from this... beer?

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Tan/brown, 2 inch fizzy carbinated head that died really quickly, Some decent lacing.

Smell - Hmm, skunky sorta yesty armoa. Some caramel and malts. Not much going on.

Taste - Umm, what is this? Watered down, skunky, this is a american amber with some roasted malt and a few spices added. Has a yeasty flavor moreso then malty. Not impressed.

Mouthfeel - Well, its light, watery and easy to just suck down. Tounge and palette wont be challenged or happy that you just wasted time coating mouth with the skunky flavors. Aftertaste is weak, bittery yeast, and soured.

Overall - A joke, not worth a drink, i seen this beer all the time, just grabbed one bottle to try, thought it was a classic, just a poorly made cheap bock. Not worth the time to drink.

2.18/5  rDev -28.3%

A - Crystal clear amber with a minuscule and extremely short lived head. A touch of lacing, but I had to work to get it.

S - Grassy hops with a typical macro rice beer smell a bit of summer squash too. The grassy hops are substantially more pronouced though. A touch of stale malts too.

T - This tastes similiar to the typical macro brew only stronger. There is a light bodied malt presence with a lot of mild sweet corn flavor. A touch of grassy hops. Aftertaste is a residual sweet corn. It honestly tastes a lot like concentrated Coors . . . okay, it is a BIT better than concentrated Coors.

M - Slick, thick and smooth. That impresses me, but, unfortunately, it is also leaving a film in my mouth. Carbonation is a bit high.

D - It is drinkable. I'd rather drink this than a typical macro, but it is a weak example of the style. I am not going to have this again. Well, honestly, this is the first Bock I have ever had, but I am comparing it to what I imagine a half doppelbock half water mixture would taste. It begs the question, why bock, when you can doppel?

2.19/5  rDev -28%

Poured into a pint glass. A transparent copper color with half finger of head that was bubbly and short-lived.

Smells faintly like wet hay. It has an unpleasant smell too, hard to place but not nice.

Mild malt sweetness at first, a faint touch of bitter (not really bitter, but less sweet). Watery taste overall.

Medium body, moderate carbonation, unremarkable.

This was difficult because I used to drink Shiner all the time years ago when I lived in Corpus Christi because it was the only beer with some flavor to it. It's a caramel colored American lager with a little less carbonation and a touch of sweetness.

2.19/5  rDev -28%

A clear deep copper with a light head that quickly fades.

There is grain in there somewhere... I think I can smell it. Yes light cereal notes like a box of Cheerios or Rice Krispies. Okay, okay some malt in there too.

Taste is more light cereal. Hey! There is a malt flavor that underlies it. A light butterscotch and toasted corn biscuit. Not awful but ....Can you say Bud Dark? Feel is light and Fizzy.

Drinkabilty is OK but the question is Why? Why would you drink another one after the first? This is not good beer. Oh, if you GOTTA have a beer and your other option is Bud. Tough one there. I'd go for ginger ale instead, or root beer. Seriously.

This is a beer that is worse than the score. The sum of the components ought to be subtraction. I'll say it again. Bud Dark. Calling this a bock is a crime.

2.19/5  rDev -28%

Appearance (3.00) : Has a nice amber body, lightly carbonated, with a small head (about a finger's width). The color fit that of other common bocks.

Smell (1.50) : Smell? I couldn't place a smell for this beer. It was very lacking aromatically. I smelled trace amounts of hops and a sweet smell, but it was challenging.

Taste (2.50) : Smooth and sweet, almost watery. I couldn't taste the malts whatsoever and I don't find that it fits the Bock style nearly enough. Tastes more like a darker pilsner.

Mouthfeel (2.00) : Fine. Nothing special - I do like the carbonation, however.

Overall (2.25) : Not at all what I expected from this beer. Entirely too watery and sweet and unfitting for the style.

2.2/5  rDev -27.6%

Bought this at the recommendation of a family member from Texas. What the hey...
Poured vigorously into a pint glass, got a 1 inch head that almost instantly dissipated. The color is brown, but very clear. I detected a faint slight sweet smell, but mixed with metallic odor was not so appealing. The taste was very light, metallic with a slightly nutty sweetness, but very bland, not matching the color. The mouthfeel is slight carbonation, no real impressiveness there. I find this overall to be not terrible compared to other macro lagers, but not great. I am somewhat disappointed.

2.2/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Pours a copper color with very little to no white head which produces no lacing.

Smell is faintly malty & a little hops

Taste is very little malt and a little hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very thin with a lot of carbonation.

This is not a very good bock. Taste is not bad, but it does not have the sweet maltiness you expect from a good bock.

If you like a good bock, stay away from this one.

2.2/5  rDev -27.6%

I had this beer from a legion bar in Concordia, KS during a wedding reception. I had never had a Shiner Bock and there are people who swear by it. It was the only beer there that was not your token macro beer, so I gave it a shot.

Appearance: Pours dark yellow to copper color with paper thin head that diminishes within seconds. It looks like another generic, macro-skewed beer for those who wish to drink something different from the bar other than Bud Light, Budweiser, and Coors.

Smell: Hardly anything to the nose. I remember very little about this beer in the nose other than a distant hoppiness. I did get a glimpse of malt, but it seemed unimpressive and certainly nowhere near robust.

Taste: Generic. In fact, I am left wondering whether or not I am insane because many reviews suggest that they taste biscuity flavors and flavors of dark fruits. I got cereal grains and weak hops.

Mouth: Even carbonation and a very light-medium body. This was its strong point, but its still fairly par for a bock if you ask me.

Overall: Won't drink it again probably for quite some time. The only foreseeable reason I would drink it again is if I am once again stuck out in the middle of BF Egypt and its the only thing they have that is not macro or owned by macro.

I don't get the following on this beer. I must be a bit of an elitist I guess.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner