Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,001 | Hads: 3,574
3.58/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear brownish amber color with a creamy white head and a light aroma of sweet malt. It has a crisp flavor with notes of caramel and goes down so easy it’s a little scary. As others have mentioned, one of the best features of this brew is that no matter how small the bar in Texas you find yourself in, they are almost guaranteed to carry it. (351 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours light brown with large-bubbled head which disappears completely. Aroma is malty, bready and pleasant. No bad flavors; more malt, caramel and bread. Very light, not complex, but really not bad. I could drink this all night and not complain. (246 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +19.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - poured a dark, nutty opaque brown. less than one finger head that disappated quickly into a thin cap.

S - mainly malt is what i pick up.

T - malts, and dark chocolate, some caramel.

M - medium bodied, slightly acidic. less than average carbonation.

D - not a bad swill. could sit down for a session of these. (364 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +19.2%

Appearance:
Clear medium brown body with white head that fizzes out quickly, leaving moderate lacing

Aroma:
Medium roasted malt body with vague hints of hops in the background

Taste:
Roasted malt and carmel notes with a little booze and that famous metallic curve-ball at the end - nice carmel aftertaste

Mouthfeel:
Quite dry and clean with moderate carbonation

Drinkability:
I can personally assure you, Shiner can be drunk in large quantities over the course of a night

Verdict:
This is certainly not the greatest beer in the world, nor the greatest Bock. Hell, it might not even be a Bock. But still, I have a very warm place in my heart for Shiner Bock. It rescues me time and time again out in here the outback of American beer culture. (746 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Shiner pours out a pleasant, clearish brown color. Head retention is fairly good. Nose is clean and malty. Flavor is a moderately clean caramel malt, with light hops, and a crisp, short finish. Light bodied, with average carbonation.

An above-average regional lager, really. It's not a bock by German standards, but it is a bock by early 20th century American standards, and it kinda tugs at a Texan's heartstrings. In college in Austin in the 80s, pitchers of Shiner were as cheap as Budweiser, and so much better, back before we discovered microbrews. It's still good for a nostalgic taste trip when nothing better is available. (633 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had my first bottle last week after my brother brought some home from his Texas trip and a visit to the brewery. This is a light brown colored beer with a pleasant smell out of the bottle. Taste, I agree, is light for a bock which I expect to have some mouthfeel chewability to it. It is probably the reason that there is a reputation this beer has as a college brew...it's not going to slow you down any chewing on it. I have to say I like it and will easily drink a few again. I understand that the distribution of Shiner is pretty extensive so you may find it at a decent brew depot. (586 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Received a 6 pack as a gift during the holidays.

This is a brown brew with some red undertones. Poured a nice head leaving a bit of lacing as I enjoy this brew. Nose is of bread and sweet malts. Taste is pretty much the same with little hop impact. Mouthfeel is somewhat full and lively. Overall drinkability is good. I have always enjoyed this beer and would recommend it. (376 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +19.5%

I find myself coming back to Shiner Bock again and again. If I find it on sale, I have no problem picking up a 6 or 12 pack. Sure, it isn't the best example of the style. But it is a mellow, malty beer that is smooth. It gives a small, tan head when poured correctly but there really isn't any smell I can detect. It goes down clean and, if well chilled, refreshes all the way down the throat.

You won't find "complex flavorings from exotic malts and yeasts" with this beer. Don't expect them. (494 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance = dark lager, light cola color with a medium white head. Medium carbonation, a glass of this beer looks very inviting.

Smell = fruity, lite hops (if any)

Taste = medium sweetness and light to medium hops. While a pretty good brew it's not really everything that I like in a bock. And not as much flavor as it looks like there should be. Crisp enough, clean mouthfeel, just 'less of it' there than I really want.

It's like they stop the brewing process too soon or something, just not delivering everything that the appearance promises. In Texas this beer is on tap everywhere, and I've grown used to it over the years. I just wish it was 20% better than it really is, since it looks 100% tasty but only delivers ~ 80% of the taste I expect. What's really weird, is every time I drink it, I'm a little disappointed, every time. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. A TV actress of a beer, it always looks good but there's just not all that much there. (974 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +19.9%

Appearance - Reddish copper see thorugh color. About 1/2 finger head that quickly disappeared.

Smell - Really didn't notice much scent at all.

Taste - Very mild watery taste. Crisp hop finish without any bitterness. Sort of similiar to the Noble Pils I had a week ago.

Mouthfeel - watery/fizzy carbonation

Drinkability - A very easy drinker. I could easily put down several of these.

Overall - Somewhat bland in taste yet refreshing and crisp none-the-less. Nothing noteworthy yet it would be a nice beer for me to add as a summer slammer to complement the couple of adjunks that I prefer. (594 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: It pours a light brown color and is topped ¾” with light tan colored head.
Smell: The aroma is all bock smell, it has a maltly base and there is almost a nutty aroma that I think I like.
Taste: The taste is a tasty malt backbone that is complimented by a yeast flavor and a semi sweet finish.
Mouthfeel: This medium bodied beer is easy drinking like it should be and that semi sweet finish. (407 characters)

Thanks Jayli for this one

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, high carbonation, a caramel brown color, clear

Smell: honey, toasted malt, grainy cereal

Taste: honey, toasted malt, grainy cereal

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, very sweet

Drinkability: Tasty. Not overly complex but certainly sessionable--especially on a warmer day. Could easily put back a six. (366 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +20.2%

A clerk at the liquor store once put my three selected six packs in a discarded Shiner Bock box (say that three times quickly) and sent me on my way. I had never tried it. And then one evening last week my wife and I were out with friends and here comes the beer list. Shiner Bock on tap. So I tried it.

Came without much of a head, but the color was nice, dark brown (like rich chocolate milk) and just a bit of carbonation. I was surprised that there wasn't much smell to speak of, though the malt did come through in the nose a bit. A bit thin in the mouth, the flavor was surprisingly rich. Lightly roasted malt (a bit less "roast" flavor than I expected, given the color) and a delicate balance of hops to refresh. I enjoyed it. I was driving and that's all I could do; but others in our party had second glasses. It's easily a beer you could enjoy all night. (867 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours a dark red-brown with practically no foam at all. It looks flat, although it's not. Not much smell to speak of. Flavor's great though - lots and lots of malt, a little bit of hop kick, not much carbonation but a flavor that sticks with you for a while. This one threads the needle for me between a light American lager and a darker, more intense brew. It's not spectacular, but I feel like it would be hard to find an occasion or food pairing for which this would be a bad beer. (484 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +20.2%

I had this one in Austin. I'd never heard it before and, as far as I can tell, this is the only beer served in Texas. I had it again and again and again and again. It was pretty tasty with a nice sweetness to it. Not in the least bit bitter.

I preferred it a little more on tap than in the bottle (no surprise there). I'm surprised the average score is as low as it is. Seems like a decent beer to me. (402 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance - Amber/Brown color. About an inch or so of frothy head.

Smell - Very weak smell, slight hint of maltiness at times.

Taste - Very smooth tasting, with a slight bite of bitterness at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and smooth.

Overall - Although it lacks in aroma and has a mediocre appearance, the taste of the brew makes up for it. It is smooth with a slight hint of bitterness at the end of the drink. Not the best beer, but great upgrade from your standard brews. (489 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured a medium dark amber color with decent head
Smell is OK but nothing outstanding, toasted malt, some chocolate maybe
Taste is a little above average with toasted malt and some grain flavors
Mouthfeel was decent with good carbonation
Overall drinkability was good. This beer is easily drinkable even though there is no particular outstanding component. (360 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +20.2%

Solid effort from the folks in Shiner, Texas. Poured dark reddish-brown and maintained its head. Very drinkable with the correct amount of carbonation. Very smooth and high on the drinkability scale. Kind of thin on the mouthfeel for a true bock, but I guess this is a Texas bock not a German bock. (298 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +20.5%

Bottle. Friend bought to a party.

A - Pours a light brown, little creamy head, which dissipates rather quickly.

S - Aroma of lightly toasted hops, ginger, coriander, and clove.

T - Sweet, definite hints of ginger and coriander, with bread crust. Wet malt-like finish.

M - Despite the dissipation of head, still fairly carbonated on the tongue, with a moist pleasing finish.

D - Definitely easy drinking and decent on its own. While not a big fan, easy to see why it is mass produced now. (494 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours out to a pretty red amber with a small head that subsides fairly quickly.

Fairly sweet smell with hints of prune.

Taste is decent, with a fair amount of malt taste and very dry finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty watery, but this doesn't really detract from the beer.

This is a fairly drinkable beer. A bit watery and it will probably get a little bland after a while, but for the most part, it's not bad at all.

Will probably get this again some other time. (461 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +20.9%

For my first review, I thought I would go with my typical session beer, my first "real" beer, and a staple of my home state: Shiner Bock.

Appearance: Poured into a 20oz Guinness Tulip. Pours a dark copper color with almost no head that is gone very quickly.

Smell: A very light smell, caramel malts.

Taste: A refreshing taste, again, caramel malts are present. A little metallic maybe, but not overwhelmingly so. Not too complex, but in this case simple is good.

Mouthfeel: A light-bodied beer that has a bite of carbonation to it. Be warned: the carbonation is absolutely overwhelming if this beer is served too cold.

Drinkability: Good drinkability and again, is my typical session beer.

Overall this is a pretty simple beer, but it has a nice character about it. Not necessarily my favorite, but this is my go-to beer. Worth a try, if nothing else.

This was my first "real" beer, I would recommend it as a "gateway" beer for beginners to "real" beer, if nothing else. (978 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours a dark amber, clear, with a white head that lingers well and leaves good lacing.

Nose is alot of vegetal caramel notes and some crisp lagery grain.

Taste is pretty good, a nice amber lager without being too sweet, as the nose indicated, in fact it could use a little more malt presence. Hops are pretty muted, but its ok.

Mouthfeel is good crisp lager. Nice and thin.

Drinkability is solid, could easily put away a sixer.

Overall, an ok macroish "bock" Really more like an all malt lager with some food coloring, but certainly a step up from drinking macro junk. Good for what it is. (594 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +21.2%

Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas produces a number of good quality, noticible beers, but they are probably most famous for their Shiner Bock brand. Us folks in Tejas been drinkin' this stuff for many a year, and it goes down mighty smooth on a hot afternoon, especially with a little salsa and some salty chips...

BUT, to write a good review, one must put regional and personal biases aside. To start with, calling this a bock is probably wrong. It's a nice, dark lager is what it really is. It doesn't produce a thick head nor does it convey a hearty, malty presence like a true bock beer should. That said, it does have a nice aroma and pours well. It has good body, although a bit carbonated. Get a cold one and the taste will develop. It has an ok mouthpresence, and the finish is nice. No trace of bitterness.

Overall, it's not to shabby if you like dark lagers. It's a big step up from the soda-pop rip-offs like Ziegen Bock. Spoetzl puts a lot of effort in brewing this beer and they take some pride of ownership. I want to do their brewery tour as I've heard it's great.

Try this one with a couple of friends, some good Tex-Mex, and a football game. I'm bettin' you'll like it. (1,194 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured from a bottle with an unreadable freshness date, served cold.

Poured slightly cloudy, a light caramel color. Very thin, white head on it that dissipated fairly quickly.

Strong hints of orange in the aromas, with touches of the malt and burnt caramel.

Nice depth to the flavors - they actually travel somewhere, especially on the middle of the tongue. That dark, caramelly sweetness of the tip of the tongue, then tastes of toasted malt in the middle. Ends at a nice balance of sweet and savory. Very little of the hops in there. Wish they could be a touch stronger.

Crisp carbonation - seems like just the right amount to help the flavors.

Very sippable. Although the flavors could be more pronounced, they balance nicely with the carbonation to make for an enjoyable brew. I can see why so many people are die-hard fans of this beer. (856 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +21.5%

A - Dark amber, with a creamy off white head.

S - Sweet malt and notes of caramel.

T - Mid-bodied, upfront taste has roasted malts and a small amount of caramel. Not much hops present, but goes down smooth enough. An easy drinker, and one with a decent mouthfeel. Drinkability is excellent.

Not a great example of the style, but a solid beer none the less. One of the closest brewerys near my home, and one I have visited often. Recommended. (451 characters)

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner