Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,011 | Hads: 3,632
3.55/5  rDev +16.8%

Coastal Crossing Grill in Alvin, Texas on tap.

When there is only Bud and Miller around, this is a much better option. Smooth and easy to drink. Doesn't sit to heavy. No bitterness to be found. Just a good beer. Not great and certainly doesn't carry the cool factor now that there are so many Craft breweries out there, but I'm always satisfied after drinking it.

3.55/5  rDev +16.8%

A friend of mine in Louisiana always has raved about this one, and coincidentally another friend brought a 6-pack back from TX this past weekend.

Pours medium amber, very slightly hazy. Nose does not consist of much, slight malts and alcohol. Good carbonation, not much head, slight lacing. Taste is a bit light, but not too light. Does not taste like a light beer, necessarily. Malts come out at the end to round out the feel and flavor. I think if the malts weren't there then it would be a failure. This beer was enjoyable and easy to drink. If you are looking for an option that is not your standard pisswater but still want to drink several beers without them being heavy, this is a good option.

3.55/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearance: Deep amber brew. Frothy off-white head with good carbonation movement.

Smell: Decent malt presence with a touch of toffee.

Taste: Light and refreshing with a bit of malt character. I did not expect this in a bock, but it was not bad.

Mouthfeel: Light for what it is trying to represent

Drinkablity: Good flavor in such a light bodied brew.

3.56/5  rDev +17.1%

A - Very thin reddish appearance. Typical for this style

S - A classic bock style with lots of dark fruit, a hint of something darker and more mysterious but not precise.

T - Actually the taste is pretty nice, slightly above average. The red and dark fruit core lingers with a slightly dry and faintly bitter aftertaste.

M - Somewhat light for a bock style.

D - The best aspect of the beer is the drinkability. Goes down smooth yet with a refreshing finish. Not like Bud Light; you can actually taste this one.

They have this beer virtually everywhere here in Houston, so if nothing else, it's better than the typical domestic swill (Bud, Bud LT)

3.56/5  rDev +17.1%

First Off, it seems that there is a huge difference in the Beer that is available in Texas and what is available elsewhere.

I had first tried this beer in Chicago on Tap in a local bar. I was not impressed to say the least. The again had it in a bottle at a social gathering and it tasted like the same bland easy-drinking ale.

Then I was offered it again in Dallas and it looks, smells, and drinks like a completely different beer.

The Beer that I had in Chicago (where I am from) had a frothier head and tasted like a Pilsner. It was rather bland with a fairly blonde color and not much better than your average Big 3 beer.

The Beer in Texas is another matter and completely different. The Head is relatively flat with only mild carbonation. The color is dark like a porter, only still clear to the bottom of the glass. The taste is much hoppier and darker as well. Mouthfeel is also much more syrupy, but not as syrupy as a porter and still relatively clean on the palate. The flavor does not linger long on the tongue.

Whomever is making the beer for export is doing something VERY WRONG. It is a completely different beer outside of the state.

In Texas, it is a "Good" Beer and can be had inexpensively almost anywhere. Outside of Texas, I would say to avoid it. Many of the people here know this, it is a shame that they give that other beer the same name.

3.57/5  rDev +17.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.
I'm not a real big bock fan and I liked this beer so it is either a pretty good bock or a bad one. What ever one it is it is a easy smooth drinking beer. I had both out of the family pack I had and could have used a few more.
Look is light brown, tanish, with a light tan head that didn't stick around for long.
Smell a little sweetness and yeast.
Taste is kind of weak a little roast, little sweet with some spice and yeast flavor. A pretty good mix but weak.
Feel has a lot of carbonation and all the bubbles kind of gave me a slight metal taste.
Drink a very easy drinking beer. Not bad at all. Not great but I wouldn't pass one up. Nothing I'd buy again.

3.57/5  rDev +17.4%

Not a lot of smell, but the smell is malty. Taste is malty, with a vague sweetness to it. Flavor doesn't really go anywhere, but the flavor that is there is pleasant. Malty aftertaste dissipates quickly. Mouthfeel smooth. Not very complex, but has a pleasant taste, and very drinkable.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Nose has some cooked veggie and corn on it. It isn't very strong really but it's nothing special.

Taste has a mild malt sweetness on it with a definite presence of corn adjuncts. Like a standard adjunct lager with a little more body and sweetness. A little toasted grain shows on the finish with a somewhat light smattering of hops.
Drinkable, if not a little bland. There are certainly better bocks out there, but if one wants a very quaffable, inoffensive session brew, this will work.

3.58/5  rDev +17.8%

I seemed to like this beer a lot better last winter when I first tried it. I also seem to like the flavor out of a can as well. I'm drinking this out of a bottle right now into a pilsner glass and am not really liking it as much as I remembered. Still, you could do much worse. this does have a little maltiness to it. The aroma isn't very flattering, mouthfeel isn't much, but leaves a nice thin honey flavor on the tongue. Extremely drinkable. I would find myself pounding down a sixer box of these bocks while working in my recording studio last winter, late into the evenings.

If I was in a shitty bar somewhere and didn't like their beer selection, it is possible they might still have this and it may still be cheap on the wallet so I would go with that over the other major domestics. I'd rather have a Celebrator (I know, not a regular bock...) but these were on sale at $11 for a 12 pack. I'd consider that a fair price for this brew.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear brownish amber color with a creamy white head and a light aroma of sweet malt. It has a crisp flavor with notes of caramel and goes down so easy it’s a little scary. As others have mentioned, one of the best features of this brew is that no matter how small the bar in Texas you find yourself in, they are almost guaranteed to carry it.

3.59/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours light brown with large-bubbled head which disappears completely. Aroma is malty, bready and pleasant. No bad flavors; more malt, caramel and bread. Very light, not complex, but really not bad. I could drink this all night and not complain.

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - poured a dark, nutty opaque brown. less than one finger head that disappated quickly into a thin cap.

S - mainly malt is what i pick up.

T - malts, and dark chocolate, some caramel.

M - medium bodied, slightly acidic. less than average carbonation.

D - not a bad swill. could sit down for a session of these.

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%

Clear medium brown body with white head that fizzes out quickly, leaving moderate lacing

Medium roasted malt body with vague hints of hops in the background

Roasted malt and carmel notes with a little booze and that famous metallic curve-ball at the end - nice carmel aftertaste

Quite dry and clean with moderate carbonation

I can personally assure you, Shiner can be drunk in large quantities over the course of a night

This is certainly not the greatest beer in the world, nor the greatest Bock. Hell, it might not even be a Bock. But still, I have a very warm place in my heart for Shiner Bock. It rescues me time and time again out in here the outback of American beer culture.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Shiner pours out a pleasant, clearish brown color. Head retention is fairly good. Nose is clean and malty. Flavor is a moderately clean caramel malt, with light hops, and a crisp, short finish. Light bodied, with average carbonation.

An above-average regional lager, really. It's not a bock by German standards, but it is a bock by early 20th century American standards, and it kinda tugs at a Texan's heartstrings. In college in Austin in the 80s, pitchers of Shiner were as cheap as Budweiser, and so much better, back before we discovered microbrews. It's still good for a nostalgic taste trip when nothing better is available.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had my first bottle last week after my brother brought some home from his Texas trip and a visit to the brewery. This is a light brown colored beer with a pleasant smell out of the bottle. Taste, I agree, is light for a bock which I expect to have some mouthfeel chewability to it. It is probably the reason that there is a reputation this beer has as a college's not going to slow you down any chewing on it. I have to say I like it and will easily drink a few again. I understand that the distribution of Shiner is pretty extensive so you may find it at a decent brew depot.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Received a 6 pack as a gift during the holidays.

This is a brown brew with some red undertones. Poured a nice head leaving a bit of lacing as I enjoy this brew. Nose is of bread and sweet malts. Taste is pretty much the same with little hop impact. Mouthfeel is somewhat full and lively. Overall drinkability is good. I have always enjoyed this beer and would recommend it.

3.61/5  rDev +18.8%

I find myself coming back to Shiner Bock again and again. If I find it on sale, I have no problem picking up a 6 or 12 pack. Sure, it isn't the best example of the style. But it is a mellow, malty beer that is smooth. It gives a small, tan head when poured correctly but there really isn't any smell I can detect. It goes down clean and, if well chilled, refreshes all the way down the throat.

You won't find "complex flavorings from exotic malts and yeasts" with this beer. Don't expect them.

3.61/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance = dark lager, light cola color with a medium white head. Medium carbonation, a glass of this beer looks very inviting.

Smell = fruity, lite hops (if any)

Taste = medium sweetness and light to medium hops. While a pretty good brew it's not really everything that I like in a bock. And not as much flavor as it looks like there should be. Crisp enough, clean mouthfeel, just 'less of it' there than I really want.

It's like they stop the brewing process too soon or something, just not delivering everything that the appearance promises. In Texas this beer is on tap everywhere, and I've grown used to it over the years. I just wish it was 20% better than it really is, since it looks 100% tasty but only delivers ~ 80% of the taste I expect. What's really weird, is every time I drink it, I'm a little disappointed, every time. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. A TV actress of a beer, it always looks good but there's just not all that much there.

3.62/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance - Reddish copper see thorugh color. About 1/2 finger head that quickly disappeared.

Smell - Really didn't notice much scent at all.

Taste - Very mild watery taste. Crisp hop finish without any bitterness. Sort of similiar to the Noble Pils I had a week ago.

Mouthfeel - watery/fizzy carbonation

Drinkability - A very easy drinker. I could easily put down several of these.

Overall - Somewhat bland in taste yet refreshing and crisp none-the-less. Nothing noteworthy yet it would be a nice beer for me to add as a summer slammer to complement the couple of adjunks that I prefer.

3.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: It pours a light brown color and is topped ¾” with light tan colored head.
Smell: The aroma is all bock smell, it has a maltly base and there is almost a nutty aroma that I think I like.
Taste: The taste is a tasty malt backbone that is complimented by a yeast flavor and a semi sweet finish.
Mouthfeel: This medium bodied beer is easy drinking like it should be and that semi sweet finish.

Thanks Jayli for this one

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, high carbonation, a caramel brown color, clear

Smell: honey, toasted malt, grainy cereal

Taste: honey, toasted malt, grainy cereal

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, very sweet

Drinkability: Tasty. Not overly complex but certainly sessionable--especially on a warmer day. Could easily put back a six.

3.63/5  rDev +19.4%

A clerk at the liquor store once put my three selected six packs in a discarded Shiner Bock box (say that three times quickly) and sent me on my way. I had never tried it. And then one evening last week my wife and I were out with friends and here comes the beer list. Shiner Bock on tap. So I tried it.

Came without much of a head, but the color was nice, dark brown (like rich chocolate milk) and just a bit of carbonation. I was surprised that there wasn't much smell to speak of, though the malt did come through in the nose a bit. A bit thin in the mouth, the flavor was surprisingly rich. Lightly roasted malt (a bit less "roast" flavor than I expected, given the color) and a delicate balance of hops to refresh. I enjoyed it. I was driving and that's all I could do; but others in our party had second glasses. It's easily a beer you could enjoy all night.

3.63/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours a dark red-brown with practically no foam at all. It looks flat, although it's not. Not much smell to speak of. Flavor's great though - lots and lots of malt, a little bit of hop kick, not much carbonation but a flavor that sticks with you for a while. This one threads the needle for me between a light American lager and a darker, more intense brew. It's not spectacular, but I feel like it would be hard to find an occasion or food pairing for which this would be a bad beer.

3.63/5  rDev +19.4%

I had this one in Austin. I'd never heard it before and, as far as I can tell, this is the only beer served in Texas. I had it again and again and again and again. It was pretty tasty with a nice sweetness to it. Not in the least bit bitter.

I preferred it a little more on tap than in the bottle (no surprise there). I'm surprised the average score is as low as it is. Seems like a decent beer to me.

3.63/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance - Amber/Brown color. About an inch or so of frothy head.

Smell - Very weak smell, slight hint of maltiness at times.

Taste - Very smooth tasting, with a slight bite of bitterness at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and smooth.

Overall - Although it lacks in aroma and has a mediocre appearance, the taste of the brew makes up for it. It is smooth with a slight hint of bitterness at the end of the drink. Not the best beer, but great upgrade from your standard brews.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner